Home

Just had my cat converter stolen

Posted By: timbremn

Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 06:57 AM

DANG...Sleeping with window open. Heard a noise, made the mistake (maybe not a mistake) of yelling at them. Car immediately took off with lights off. Cops were here quick, but I think too late. Car is an older Prius, guess they are prized for their converters. Just reduced coverage to liability only frown. Lesson learned. Gonna get a CAT LOCK next time. Maybe that will slow them down.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 10:33 AM

You were sleeping with your window open in SE Minn?? The temp is 25.I just looked at videos of this because I didn't hear about it before. So where do you live in Rochester? Who's buying them from the thieves?
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 10:56 AM

Scrap yards buy everything.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 11:12 AM

I've heard of that here too. Beats working for money I guess! Scrap yards should take pictures of the people selling them and report it. Pawn shops have to keep a list of stuff they buy off people.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 11:13 AM

True but I'd think the scrap yard would question someone bringing in just a cat converter. This looks like it's common so they should be aware of it and get their ID, plate # and contact LE. I know they're in business but I wouldn't want to be involved in it as a middle man.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Badger23
True but I'd think the scrap yard would question someone bringing in just a cat converter. This looks like it's common so they should be aware of it and get their ID, plate # and contact LE. I know they're in business but I wouldn't want to be involved in it as a middle man.

I heard the same thing on NW Wisconsin news about some isolated reports of the same thing, with convertors being stolen, they said the black market sales are limited because salvage yards do not accept them unless accompanied by a scrap vehicle. But I'm sure there is always that guy that will.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 11:35 AM

They are stealing the crap out of them in Mpls (and larger cities around the state). Same group of thugs. The Prius was most likely a stolen. They've been stealing them a lot too (for some dumb reason). Generally Omar's clan.
Posted By: mfergu8

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 11:37 AM

Around here the scrap yards do take your picture. I had a converter stolen at work a few years back. I worked nights at the time.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 12:08 PM

They busted a big ring in Edmonton Alberta in august that had 900 cats in possession . Then our thief slowed down, broad daylight in the shopping centers climb unders were common in the summer.
is not Prius the main car used in the taxi industry? so you can figure your may be used as an aftermarket use replacement

Cats that sold for scrap lately have gone crazy, like from 30$ to 220$

Did they use a ratchet cutter or a saws-all with blades ?

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 12:09 PM

They took 34 off a rental cars parking lot one weekend @ 1000$ each replacement
Posted By: Hornytoad1

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by timbremn
DANG...Sleeping with window open. Heard a noise, made the mistake (maybe not a mistake) of yelling at them. Car immediately took off with lights off. Cops were here quick, but I think too late. Car is an older Prius, guess they are prized for their converters. Just reduced coverage to liability only frown. Lesson learned. Gonna get a CAT LOCK next time. Maybe that will slow them down.

This has been going on now for a month or better. The Winona police put out a public warning about it. Winona has seen many vehicles with cats stolen over night.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 12:53 PM

I'm not sure what used stolen car parts sell for on the black market but surely you could make more money just going to work without the potential negative consequences. And you probably wouldn't even have to work nights.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 12:59 PM

I work at an auto salvage yard and cut cats sometimes. Wish the guys stealing them would come and apply for a job because cats are a PITA to remove. They must be only taking the easy ones. There is little room and the pipe near cats is harder so a torch is the easiest fastest way to remove them.
Posted By: spjones

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 01:01 PM

Palladium is hovering around 2400$ an oz.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by strike2x
I work at an auto salvage yard and cut cats sometimes. Wish the guys stealing them would come and apply for a job because cats are a PITA to remove. They must be only taking the easy ones. There is little room and the pipe near cats is harder so a torch is the easiest fastest way to remove them.

They busted a couple of scum bags out here doing a few years ago. One had a crow bar to pull down on the exhaust and the other a batt. Operated sawzall. Hit up a couple car lots and quite a few driveways. Hope they got an unwanted boyfriend in jail
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 01:38 PM

Was your room hazy from wood smoke?

Why was your window open in Mn.?

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Badger23
You were sleeping with your window open in SE Minn?? The temp is 25.I just looked at videos of this because I didn't hear about it before. So where do you live in Rochester? Who's buying them from the thieves?

Northwest. I like cracking the window at night. Heard the sound of the jack clicking down. Played it over a thousand times in my head. First thought was to yell and scare them off, but they already had it off. They've been targeting priuses. Thieves are dumb, they always get caught. Just wish they got caught this time.

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50
They busted a big ring in Edmonton Alberta in august that had 900 cats in possession . Then our thief slowed down, broad daylight in the shopping centers climb unders were common in the summer.
is not Prius the main car used in the taxi industry? so you can figure your may be used as an aftermarket use replacement

Cats that sold for scrap lately have gone crazy, like from 30$ to 220$

Did they use a ratchet cutter or a saws-all with blades ?

whatever they used was pretty quiet.

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 02:02 PM

I haven't started my F-150 yet, hope they left that alone.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 02:32 PM

I guess I better think about cleaning out the garage so I can get my car in it.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 03:02 PM

You must live right in town.To bad about your car
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 03:16 PM

Can'tblame the guys though. I mean who in their right mind would steal a whole Prius ?? They just took the part that was worth something.
Posted By: run

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Can'tblame the guys though. I mean who in their right mind would steal a whole Prius ?? They just took the part that was worth something.

LOL.
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 04:31 PM

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of person would own a Prius. cool
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 04:44 PM

My sister had hers taken off her Prius a couple of months ago in Seattle. Now she has a lock device installed.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by JTfromWV

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of person would own a Prius. cool

Greenies who love rainbows , unicorns , Biden , Obama , and think they are saving polar bears......lol
Posted By: danvee

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 04:56 PM

They are worth a lot of money for remarket or for scrap because of the precious medal. Some of the converters are worth $800 for scrap and they are selling for a profit so go figure.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 05:00 PM

stole mine 5 yrs ago while i was overseas. 1300 to replace

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 05:07 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by west river rogue
stole mine 5 yrs ago while i was overseas.

Did you have any difficulty sneaking it through customs. grin
Posted By: Jonnytrapper

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 05:27 PM

Had mine stolen years back. Battery powered sawzall. Someone stole the copper radiator out of my dads JD bulldozer once too.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
[Linked Image]

How did you get that pic of my sister's car?!

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 07:09 PM

Diesel cats are not worth it 10$ out of that F150
Mercedes are the expensive ones back 5 years ago vintage
Posted By: nramemb

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Was your room hazy from wood smoke?

Why was your window open in Mn.?

Forget that why do you drive a prius

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 07:18 PM

You sound like a professional scrap enthusiast. I like scrap metal too.

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 07:20 PM

I can understand the window being open. No comment on everything else.
Posted By: RedIShedND

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 08:37 PM

That sucks, check with home owners not auto insurance

The personal property coverage in a homeowners or renters insurance policy may help cover theft from your car. ... What you may not know is that personal property coverage usually protects these personal items even if the theft happens away from your home.
Posted By: Kired

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 08:46 PM

There were reports of people having their catalytic converters cut at a parking area for walk in access to a popular fishing location down in southern maine a couple years ago. Right beside a busy road with traffic going by fairly regularly, never heard if they caught who was doing it.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by run

You sound like a professional scrap enthusiast. I like scrap metal too.

I drove a rolloff truck and put rolloff boxes out at construction sites. One outfit that put up a cellphone tower left me $600 worth of copper conduit. Well over $3000 from an ethanol plant build.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 11/30/20 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by run

LOL.

grin

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 12/02/20 02:26 AM

Found a friendly mechanic who fixed the car for around $800...And to all you Prius haters out there...It belonged to my recently deceased 94 year old father, a WW2 vet who gave it to my son before he passed. It's not about what kind of car you choose to drive. It's about stealing and vandalizing someone elses property.

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 12/02/20 02:09 PM

I am glad you got it fixed.
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 12/02/20 02:16 PM

LOL!
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 12/02/20 07:33 PM

I have a cat converter.

It's a .17 with ballistic tipped bullets that converts the stray cats on my property into coyote bait.

Re: Just had my cat converter stolen - 12/02/20 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
I have a cat converter.

It's a .17 with ballistic tipped bullets that converts the stray cats on my property into coyote bait.

Purrrfect ........lol
© 2024 Trapperman Forums