Home

Today made 30

Posted By: Pawnee

Today made 30 - 12/01/20 02:07 AM

Didn’t understand why all the employees where so happy to see me last Tuesday night but now I do. Made 13 sets at one of our yards that night. Full traps the next morning and every morning after. Had 8 yesterday and didn’t have time to bait traps, but this morning had 3 more waiting for me in un baited traps. 23 of them have came from a 1 acre area with 7 traps crazy I mapped out the total area I’m trapping today on a farm program I have and it showed 29 acres and some change. They definitely had a problem. I’m the new feedlot hero. Just what I want to be known for sick pic is from yesterday. Pretty sure I’ll hit 40 buy the weekend

Attached picture 1900A4A7-1BBA-4D42-BCE2-9207E1BE1C51.jpeg
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 02:11 AM

Nice catches. Were the skunks eating the mice that were eating the feed?

Keith
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 02:14 AM

I don’t see the problem. LOL Lots of golden gold sweet deal WTG
Posted By: pafoxtrapper15

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 02:17 AM

How do you skin them without getting the smell everywhere?
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 02:20 AM

Dang Marty nice job! That's a serious infestation of stinkers. Good to thin them out for sure.
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 02:33 AM

Awesome! I'm sort of surprised I haven't caught on of those buggers yet this season...
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

Admit it- Brad is makin' ya kind a jealous... grin

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane

Admit it- Brad is makin' ya kind a jealous... grin

Plenty of skunks to go around just him and myself are happy to see them. LOL
Posted By: Knappett

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 02:49 AM

Your catch is awesome! 30 is alot of skunks! I like skunks, the lady we worked for on this last job informed us there's 2 skunks living under her shed and I wanted to get em so bad but she is a big time tree hugger so it was a no go lol
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 02:51 AM

Rich Kasper broke down the numbers one time and swore he made more per skunk than he did muskrat or coon. I think he was happy to see them- the wife and kids who knows LOL
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Rich Kasper broke down the numbers one time and swore he made more per skunk than he did muskrat or coon. I think he was happy to see them- the wife and kids who knows LOL

grin

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by pafoxtrapper15
How do you skin them without getting the smell everywhere?

Great question!! If handled right the don’t stink. A skunk is cleaner than any coon you will catch. Cat with stripes as far as I’m concerned.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 03:04 AM

I had a pet skunk for a while-very clean little animal.Trained to a litter box very easily-just like a cat.

I wonder who holds the record for most skunks caught in a fur season?And how many.

Nice haul.

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 03:06 AM

I’ve never seen numbers like this in such a small area. I trap it every year for coyotes and coons and don’t see these numbers. I’d be curious of your thoughts or maybe it’s not out of the ordinary. I’ve never seen anything like it. One mile west at a lady’s house I took 10 by her chicken pen.

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Nice catches. Were the skunks eating the mice that were eating the feed?

Keith

They are coming to the distillers grain. Every animal I know loves it including coyotes.

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 03:12 AM

I had a couple places that I took high numbers in a couple areas over the summer. Numbers were high in other locations those years also getting 9 larger skunks was not uncommon those years in the same cages.

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 03:21 AM

That’s what I’m seeing. Lots of toads. I’ve caught a couple that seemed real old and only their heads appeared to be infected with mange. Is that just a product of old age or do skunks get mange? Never seen it before. I can post pics tomorrow if it. Didn’t skin them because they looked bad
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 03:40 AM

I've seen that before in old skunks. Up on the head and ears and around their eyes. I've skinned some like that, and not sure if it's mange or not, Brad. Looks like it, but have never seen it anywhere but what I discribed. I wonder if it could be some other skin condition, but that is speculation. You got a long way to go to catch up with Mick Meyer, aka Ks Skunk Man! Someone ask about a seasons catch, and Mick used to ship 130-165 a year, but the last 3-4 years the skunks have gotten scarce. Here at home, I haven't caught one in four years, but a few roadkills are starting to appear, and I skinned the first in about three years that the local golf course catches and call me to come and get!

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 03:49 AM

Thanks Lee that’s what I’m seeing and your spot on. Mick is the man and a wealth of information.

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 04:30 AM

I always wondered if skunks got psoriasis similar to people, I noticed the thickness of the hide when saving the skulls its very thick like shoe leather.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 04:37 AM

I have never had any that bad, Jerry. Like I said, I think it's a skin condition, but no clue what. Have handled them for years before wearing gloves, and I never got to looking like that! grin
Posted By: Boco

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 04:50 AM

Could be leprosy-I read armadillos carry that also.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 01:07 PM

Lol that's alot of skunks.way to go.
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: Today made 30 - 12/01/20 01:28 PM

That. Is. WEIRD.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Today made 30 - 12/02/20 01:18 PM

Pawnee -

Updates, man!
Posted By: MJM

Re: Today made 30 - 12/02/20 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
That’s what I’m seeing. Lots of toads. I’ve caught a couple that seemed real old and only their heads appeared to be infected with mange. Is that just a product of old age or do skunks get mange? Never seen it before. I can post pics tomorrow if it. Didn’t skin them because they looked bad

I saw that too back when I was taking a lot of skunks. I took over 100 for 8 years. I notice that the bald heads had a lot of ticks on their head/face. I don't know if it was related or if the ticks liked the bare heads or if the ticks caused the bald heads. I saw it in a few coon too.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Today made 30 - 12/02/20 08:12 PM

Jerry, I only see that during the breeding season. Most all heal up but will have thicker skin in that area.

Re: Today made 30 - 12/02/20 08:36 PM

That one lost the use of one of it’s eyes it looked nasty but no bad smells like the mange or a infection would have I just know it’s not worth skinning.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Today made 30 - 12/02/20 10:39 PM

I love working with skunks and I wouldn't have skinned those either. I would definitely get the essence though. Good job.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums