Home

For the Gun Guys (Question)

Posted By: PineDoggin

For the Gun Guys (Question) - 12/01/20 02:11 PM

Opened my gun safe the other day and pulled a few out of the back I haven't touched in a while, My Rem 700 280 with I think its a McMillain stock was all sticky like the finish was melting. Has anyone had this happen and how'd you clean it? Thanks
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: For the Gun Guys (Question) - 12/01/20 02:15 PM

You ever had them around and bug spray? That will eat some finishes I had a 870 that I used for doves that took the finish off of it.
Posted By: 160user

Re: For the Gun Guys (Question) - 12/01/20 02:26 PM

That is common on recoil pads but I have never seen it on the whole stock. Probably the best thing to do is to sell me that 280. I love that caliber!
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: For the Gun Guys (Question) - 12/01/20 02:30 PM

Yep never leave a gel pad sitting on the carpet very long.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: For the Gun Guys (Question) - 12/01/20 02:31 PM

some solvents are hard on poly type stock and plastic hand guns

what were you using to clean it last ?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: For the Gun Guys (Question) - 12/01/20 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by 160user
That is common on recoil pads but I have never seen it on the whole stock. Probably the best thing to do is to sell me that 280. I love that caliber!

grin
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: For the Gun Guys (Question) - 12/01/20 03:23 PM

SMDH @ Rob grin
Posted By: Boco

Re: For the Gun Guys (Question) - 12/01/20 03:38 PM

A good idea if you heavy oil your guns for longer term storage is to put them in the gunsafe barrel down.
I dont oil guns much if at all.I find waxing is much better.

Re: For the Gun Guys (Question) - 12/01/20 03:50 PM

Its almost like a rubber dipped synthetic stock pretty sure its a McMillian stock and the rest is stainless and Titanium, so I only wipped it down with REM. oil last. But not the stock

Re: For the Gun Guys (Question) - 12/01/20 03:53 PM

Yeah and had a muzzle loader with a factory limbsaver pad and that melted to the bottom of the safe carpet, guess I need to use them more,LOL
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: For the Gun Guys (Question) - 12/01/20 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
put them in the gunsafe barrel down.r.

That is the first thing they taught us in gunsmith school, regardless how much you oil. You never want the oils to go down into the mechanisms of the Bolt or trigger group and barrel down storage avoids this completely.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: For the Gun Guys (Question) - 12/01/20 06:15 PM

The rubber looking stuff they use these days as over molds in the injection molding process for everything from batterie drill to gun stocks and tactical tooth brushes does not like anything that is mineral oil based at all and will go into sulk mode in the presence of even the vapors over a longer period of time. There is not much you can do about it though as it is the base material that is in effect decomposing and it will have a sticky surface from now on. Best to wrap it up and send it to me to get rid of the mess in your gun safe.
Posted By: zallen

Re: For the Gun Guys (Question) - 12/01/20 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
You ever had them around and bug spray? That will eat some finishes I had a 870 that I used for doves that took the finish off of it.

Ditto
Posted By: trapperinfo

Re: For the Gun Guys (Question) - 12/01/20 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by PineDoggin
Yeah and had a muzzle loader with a factory limbsaver pad and that melted to the bottom of the safe carpet, guess I need to use them more,LOL

Now I'm worried!!!

Re: For the Gun Guys (Question) - 12/01/20 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by trapperinfo
Originally Posted by PineDoggin

Now I'm worried!!!

Haha , No Bug spray, The muzzleloader hadn't moved in years, bought it for my wife and she never got her muzzleloader course .Dont keep my cleaning supplies in the safe, Thanks Scuba but to many memories to give it away. grin But think your right as far as the coating breaking down.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums