Home

RIP Ron Lindner

Posted By: rags57078

RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 06:28 PM

At In-Fisherman, we pause to offer our condolences to the family of In-Fisherman co-founder Ron Lindner.
Lindner passed away on Monday at the age of 86. Lindner is survived by his wife of 66 years, Dolores, and their seven children and numerous grandchildren.
The brother tandem of Ron and Al Lindner were the masterminds behind the creation of the In-Fisherman Communications Network, which launched in 1975. At first, it consisted mainly of a magazine, focusing on multispecies fishing. Eventually, a nationally syndicated television show and radio program joined the mix, along with a series of books and videos, all geared toward introducing anglers to new fishing tactics and equipment.
Later, the In-Fisherman Professional Walleye Trail was launched by the Lindners as a means to promote competitive angling and create marketing opportunities for various manufacturers in the industry.
Ron and Al were the perfect team, both visionaries playing off each other’s strong points. They invented and marketed a number of lures that remain fixtures in tackle boxes around the country, including the Lindy Rig. They developed the “Fish+Location+Presentation = Success” (F+L+P=S) formula to help simplify fishing methods across the seasons.
A co-author of several books and owner of multiple patents, Ron was always measuring the pulse of the fishing industry in order to stay a step ahead of the crowd. That was in large part what made In-Fisherman such a popular entity among a hardcore group of anglers. “Teaching North America to Fish Is Our Business” was the In-Fisherman call to action and it served a generation of anglers and industry insiders well.
The Lindners sold In-Fisherman in 1998 to Primedia and later launched a new television show named Lindner’s Angling Edge under the Lindner Media Productions umbrella.
Rest in peace, Ron. Your accolades are too many and varied to be captured here, right now, but will be revisited as we move forward in a fishing world much influenced by your life of service to the cause.
Editor’s note: This is a developing story and will be updated with additional details.
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 06:36 PM

RIP ,Holy Smokes I had no idea he was that old. I had to google him to make sure I was thinking of the right person. Has it been that long that I haven't seen his show.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 06:41 PM

I watched a lot of In Fisherman growing up in the 80's. A show I won't forget.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 06:42 PM

The Lindners belong in the Fishing Hall of Fame if there is one. RIP, Ron.
Posted By: HILLTOP TRAPPER

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 06:47 PM

i have so many of his books and videos,i always cosidered myself ,(self taught) in the world of fishing since i had nobody to take me out and teach me,iwould buy any video or book i could find on walleye fishing,and read or watch them till i knew them by heart,i guess you could call ron an al my mentors,without them knowing it,sad time for sure
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 07:09 PM

Learned a lot about walleye from the Linder brothers through, magazines, videos and books. Lindy Rig changed the way i fished.

He was a good one.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 07:20 PM

R.I.P.
Posted By: corky

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 07:23 PM

Sad news
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 07:24 PM

Just think of how big the walleye's are that are waiting in heaven ! Rest well and tight lines !
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 07:44 PM

Loved the show and magazine. Learned a lot. Been tying on Lindy rigs since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Wow, owe them a ton for all the help and encouragement over the decades! Lot of great memories!

Really sad to hear Ron is gone.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 08:07 PM

R.I.P. Ron , great man.

I have a lifetime subscription to In-Fisherman. Always look forward to each issue.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 08:29 PM

I fished with Al but never met Ron. When Ray O Vac owned Lindy Little Joe tackle my buddy flew for Ray O vac and I got to make some of those fishing trips.

RIP Ron.
Posted By: RedIShedND

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 08:30 PM

Sad very sad day, good people he will be missed...
I meet him on the Minnesota river, Ron named me River Rat after declining to give them my name, the locals however were not happy with our chance meeting they included our use of big bullheads as bait in that video "a tactic we recently seen produce large numbers of big fish by a local River Rat" years later working up north, I herd a crew was filming a smally video outta the Crane Lake MN resort I was working at usually Midwest Outdoors, that night eating supper I here "River Rat" yelled across the normally quite dinning room, I was shocked the TV "super star" remembered me yeah my plans changed for that week, the down to earth approach of the Linder family is what sperates them form others RIP Ron
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 08:37 PM

Rest In Peace. Ron was a very nice guy. I met Ron on the Mississippi River in Sartell Mn. I was 11 yrs old. First time we saw anyone in chest waders. He told us how lucky we where to grow up on that section of Mississippi River. It was and still is the best small mouth fishery. I enjoyed everything he shared throughout his lifetime
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 08:46 PM

Met and talked to both Ron and Al when I was younger. Me and my buddy drove all night to some outdoor show in Minnesota in part just to talk walleye fishing with them RIP Ron you were an inovator in fishing
Posted By: MINK I LOVE

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 09:05 PM

He will be missed. Just an outstanding teacher of the sport of Fishing. Hard to beat their fishing shows. Rest in Peace Mr. Ron Lindner.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 09:16 PM

RIP!
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 09:32 PM

i used to watch the show way back in the day, loved the magazine too.

Was it Ron or Al or both that used the catch phrase, "A big eye, a giant eye?"

Thirty-plus years later me and a buddy still sometimes repeat that phrase when we catch a nice eye.

RIP Ron.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 09:48 PM

Was an early subscriber to the mag and kept it up for nearly 20 years. Seem to recall that a magazine subscription came with a book or reference guide that explained their fishing system, along with seasonal movements, and the nature of different bodies of water. Natural lakes, impoundments, rivers and streams. Ron, Al and Doug Stange (you can take the boy out of Iowa, but can't take Iowa out of the boy) probably taught more people to fish well than everybody else combined. Including me.

RIP brother Ron.
Posted By: Nostalgia

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 10:04 PM

I didn't even know he was sick. He and Al were just bass fishing a few weeks ago.
Posted By: imissed

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 10:38 PM

I remember watching the show with my dad back when I was a kid. And reading the magazine. I'm 61 now.

Since were dating ourselves anyone OLD remember the Virgil Ward Show??
Posted By: HayDay

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 11:35 PM

Virgil Ward? Yes.....his place was at Amsterdam, MO.

And Harold Ensley, The Sportsman's Friend....and son Dusty......."last time you saw old Ensley, he was heading out in that red Ford Country sedan.....I hope you drive a Ford too".

And all of them combined not as helpful or informative as the In-Fisherman stuff.

Posted By: Osky

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/01/20 11:57 PM

First I’d heard of it. I liked fishing with those guys. Really nice people.

Osky
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/02/20 01:15 AM

Ron had a powerful testimony for Jesus!!

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/02/20 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by imissed
I remember watching the show with my dad back when I was a kid. And reading the magazine. I'm 61 now.

Since were dating ourselves anyone OLD remember the Virgil Ward Show??

OMG! Yes-Virgil Ward was God to me during my childhoold "Where the fish are biting, that's where were gonna go" Don't feel bad, I'm right behind you @ 55 yrs old
Posted By: MnMan

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/02/20 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
The Lindners belong in the Fishing Hall of Fame if there is one. RIP, Ron.

There is and they are. A legend has passed. RIP, Ron

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/03/20 11:19 PM

Question for old farts only.

Who remembers the magazine Fishing Facts?

Anyone?
Posted By: keets

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/04/20 12:20 AM

got it when I was a kid...probably around 1980 ish

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/04/20 12:23 AM

I do. Thought it was a Great Magazine! And I liked the Covers.
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/04/20 12:45 AM

More than his fishing ability, he would want to be known for his love for Jesus!!
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/04/20 12:56 AM

Very touching YouTube tribute from his family.

Chris
Posted By: corky

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/04/20 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by imissed
Question for old farts only.

Who remembers the magazine Fishing Facts?

Anyone?

I do. As a kid I would take my bike to the Milwaukee Sears store and talk to Bill Binkleman. He worked in Sporting goods, mostly selling Spoonplugs. LOL
Posted By: seiowatrapper

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/04/20 02:10 AM

I did not know Ron personally, but admired the good work that he and Al have done over many, many years...always as gentlemen. RIP good sir.

Meanwhile, I also remember Virgil Ward, Fishing Facts and other ancient history. smile Good stuff.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/04/20 02:26 AM

I had a book that was written by the Linders. Don't remember the name of It but the mice got Into It and I threw It out.
Posted By: mnsota

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/04/20 02:58 AM

Bill Binkleman.

Dont want to take away from this thread but Bill B was a contributing factor to the success of the F,L,P presentation. Most of what Bill offered was shrouded under the cover of darkness.
Posted By: Trapper5123

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/04/20 03:13 AM

Good fisherman and great Christian man. May he RIP.

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/04/20 05:14 PM

I still have several spoonplugs of varies sizes. Haven't use them in forever. Never had much luck with them.

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/04/20 05:27 PM

June '76

[Linked Image]
Posted By: flash

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/04/20 07:47 PM

Prayers to all the Iindners. What a life they've lived!!
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/04/20 08:57 PM

He was in hospice for a couple weeks. He had survived COVID and pneumonia before succumbing to cancer. About a month ago, he told me, no more hospitals, I'm ready to go.

It's not often that a hero becomes a good friend but that's what happened to me with Ron. He become somewhat of a mentor to me and he always had great insight when I called him and asked for advice. Even at 85 years old we had a discussion about email marketing and he was very knowledgeable, sharp as could be and incredible vision. He could see trends before anyone else would. Incredibly brilliant businessman.

We were also in a regular poker home game together for the past couple years. Tonight we are having a Ron Lindner memorial poker tournament at Ron's longtime friend's house.

Al Lindner called me to tell me the morning after Ron died and I seriously haven't cried that hard since my own mother died. Feels like the end of an era.

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/04/20 09:03 PM

I put this on my Facebook page the day he went into hospice.
https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/photos/a.1507659869501183/2742309142702910/

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/04/20 09:07 PM

Here's this for anyone interested.
https://www.facebook.com/LindnersAnglingEdge/photos/a.133752440009076/3769847973066153/
Posted By: Ron Marsh

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/05/20 12:14 PM

Prayers for the family and friends.
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: RIP Ron Lindner - 12/05/20 12:33 PM

R.I.P.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums