Home

Coyote trap question

Posted By: lots of mink

Coyote trap question - 12/02/20 05:42 AM

Has anyone invented an indestructible coyote trap dog? Iam using number three coils different ones. I’ve tried a couple dogs on the market ogormans seams to hold up. The round ones with flattened end still bend when bitten. Any others out there worth buying?
Posted By: Savell

Re: Coyote trap question - 12/02/20 05:46 AM

... stainless steel rod dogs ... shined up carbon steel won’t get it

Re: Coyote trap question - 12/02/20 06:05 AM

Do you make them?
Posted By: Savell

Re: Coyote trap question - 12/02/20 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by lots of mink
Do you make them?

... no sir .. I can barely make a grilled cheese sandwich... but Ed Metvits does or did ... he might be out of business cause he made them too good.. they had a milled night latch in the dog with enough meat to hold up... what type pan are you running?
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Coyote trap question - 12/02/20 10:54 AM

Those stainless rod dogs that came with the pit pans i ordered are about the best ive used. Never bent one yet.
Jim
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Coyote trap question - 12/02/20 12:41 PM

Or go to a dogless trap

Re: Coyote trap question - 12/02/20 02:52 PM

Most everything square jaw victors, northwoods, bridgers all three coil springs.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Coyote trap question - 12/02/20 02:53 PM

Some of my bridger traps have a 1/4” steel rod welded to the dog lengthwise and shaped nicely with a grinder. Slightly bulky but there isn’t a coyote alive that can bend it. Chew on it all they want, they’ll run out of teeth before it bends
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Coyote trap question - 12/02/20 02:59 PM

Turn your trap around when you set it,so when it snaps,the dog ends up at the back of the paw instead of the front.You wont have near as many chewed up trap dogs.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Coyote trap question - 12/02/20 03:02 PM

Sterling MJs will fix that problem no real dog to bend. They make a extra thick dog that looked like a challenge to bend will try to think of the name of the maker.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Coyote trap question - 12/02/20 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Or go to a dogless trap

Solves the problem.^^^
Posted By: Bob

Re: Coyote trap question - 12/02/20 06:04 PM

I personally hate dogless traps. Tried bridgers, Montana’s, mb650s, hated them all.

Re: Coyote trap question - 12/02/20 11:29 PM

I do have dogless traps in the form of Jakes and sterlings. Never had a problem with those. The Thorpe way of setting backwards great for dirt holes but not so much for trail sets. Half of them come the right way. I got to buy a welder I guess.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Coyote trap question - 12/03/20 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bob
I personally hate dogless traps. Tried bridgers, Montana’s, mb650s, hated them all.

I might sell the dozen extremes i bought, i like the dog better
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Coyote trap question - 12/03/20 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Savell
Originally Posted by lots of mink
Do you make them?

... no sir .. I can barely make a grilled cheese sandwich... but Ed Metvits does or did ... he might be out of business cause he made them too good.. they had a milled night latch in the dog with enough meat to hold up... what type pan are you running?

Lol! That was funny, cracked me up, thanks!
Posted By: coyote44

Re: Coyote trap question - 12/03/20 12:14 AM

Dogless traps
© 2024 Trapperman Forums