Home

going rate for copper and brass?

Posted By: gillbilly

going rate for copper and brass? - 12/02/20 07:16 PM

Have about 50 lbs of each. Anybody taken any in lately? Just thinking could use the money for Christmas but dont need to if prices stink.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: going rate for copper and brass? - 12/02/20 07:35 PM

I'd say they're both up some since I took in or looked last, but we're at sort of the "end of the line" for metal recycling prices. You might have some end users of scrap closer than us, thus better prices. Then again, maybe not...

https://www.randtunitcancompany.com/products
Posted By: Osky

Re: going rate for copper and brass? - 12/02/20 08:06 PM

A couple day’s ago yellow brass here was 1.50 per lb.
Bare bright stripped copper wire was 2.40 per lb
Number 2 copper was 2.20 per lb.
Unstripped wire was 1.48 per lb.
That’s what my company account was paid, but I’m sure general pay is very close to that.

Osky
Posted By: run

Re: going rate for copper and brass? - 12/02/20 08:09 PM

No. 1 copper $2.50/ lb. No. 2 $2.30/ lb. Great thread. I like scrap metal. Stanley, VA.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: going rate for copper and brass? - 12/02/20 08:15 PM

If the brass is brass shells, suitable for reloading, I would sort the shells out by size and sell them to people looking to reload instead of selling it for scrap. Especially in popular sizes, you will get much more money for brass selling to reloaders.

Keith

Re: going rate for copper and brass? - 12/02/20 08:19 PM

Harrisonburg, VA prices $2.70 for bare bright copper wire.
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: going rate for copper and brass? - 12/02/20 08:38 PM

So I have a bunch of copper wire. I have never sold before so I don't know good from poor prices. What are you guys thinking about todays prices.
I have no qualms about holding on to the wire.
I'm interested in a good simple stripping insulation diy process too.
just
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: going rate for copper and brass? - 12/02/20 11:56 PM

Rifle brass gets docked in price compared to other "yellow brass", I wouldn't sell for scrap unless corroded.

In my opinion, it all depends on the gauge of the insulated wire if its worth stripping or not. If its a decent thickness, I'd strip it, if not, just throw it in the insulated wire pile.
Posted By: Poorcoon

Re: going rate for copper and brass? - 12/03/20 01:06 AM

Stock Exchange commodities had copper just hit $3.50. Yesterday. So what is that is that just futures or something?

Re: going rate for copper and brass? - 12/03/20 04:08 AM

If it's 10 gauge I would strip it. If it thin wimpy stuff, I would burn it.

Re: going rate for copper and brass? - 12/03/20 04:09 AM

I would sell. But who knows, it may go higher. I can't say for sure.
Posted By: gillbilly

Re: going rate for copper and brass? - 12/03/20 07:49 AM

Thanks all. Not sure what I'm going to do. If I sell I will let you know what the prices were.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: going rate for copper and brass? - 12/03/20 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by run

I don't burn wire. Around here at least, you'll get more for it insulated than burned if it's small. They discount burned wire severely last I checked.

What I strip or not depends on how much spare time I've got, but I always strip #8 or bigger. 10-12-14 only if I'm bored.

I think mid $2 is pretty good. That's probably as good as I've ever made, but I haven't sold any in a couple years.

You guys can just call your local scrap yards and ask what they're paying for what. You'll get more accurate answers than T-man.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: going rate for copper and brass? - 12/03/20 12:13 PM

A fine for burning wire is enough to make that wire cost you money. Just turn it in insulated if it is small. Large wire is well.worth stripping.

Re: going rate for copper and brass? - 12/03/20 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by KenaiKid
Originally Posted by run

I don't burn wire. Around here at least, you'll get more for it insulated than burned if it's small. They discount burned wire severely last I checked.

What I strip or not depends on how much spare time I've got, but I always strip #8 or bigger. 10-12-14 only if I'm bored.

I think mid $2 is pretty good. That's probably as good as I've ever made, but I haven't sold any in a couple years.

You guys can just call your local scrap yards and ask what they're paying for what. You'll get more accurate answers than T-man.

Thank you for your input. It's nice to bounce ideas off of other people.
Posted By: wheelers

Re: going rate for copper and brass? - 12/03/20 02:35 PM

I took copper pipe in the other day. It was 2.20 a pound.
Posted By: DWC

Re: going rate for copper and brass? - 12/03/20 04:16 PM

Ask any meth head. They know the top prices!
Posted By: RedIShedND

Re: going rate for copper and brass? - 12/03/20 05:09 PM

I've been trading both for lead only, the scrap yards few years ago thought I was a bit off, Obamas gun grab targeted your ammo and more specific "US lead manufacturing plants"
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: going rate for copper and brass? - 12/05/20 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by RedeyeND
I've been trading both for lead only, the scrap yards few years ago thought I was a bit off, Obamas gun grab targeted your ammo and more specific "US lead manufacturing plants"

That's a good idea Redeye, I never even thought about trading. I wonder if most scrap yards will do it..
Posted By: Northof50

Re: going rate for copper and brass? - 12/05/20 09:55 PM

Canadian prices are quoted on this company page. Green or red indicates prices up/down
Rakowski.com
Exchange rate is about 1.25/1 US$

steel is going up daily 220$ T,or 11 cents pound
Note that;
the US$ is going down compared to other global currencies
© 2024 Trapperman Forums