Home

Best place to retire?

Posted By: nvwrangler

Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 12:43 AM

So im about 10 years from being able to pull the plug and retire. If you could pick a spot or spots where would you pick?
I'll have plenty of income and health insurance so im covered there. Don't mind winter with in reason same for heat but you can keep the humidity.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
So im about 10 years from being able to pull the plug and retire. If you could pick a spot or spots where would you pick?
I'll have plenty of income and health insurance so im covered there. Don't mind winter with in reason same for heat but you can keep the humidity.

MONTANA

OR Idaho
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 12:47 AM

Pennsylvania doesn’t tax any retirement income ( 401k, 403b, pensions, annuities etc ). Lots of good health care facilities.

I’m told Pa. is second only to Florida with senior citizen numbers.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 12:55 AM

if we're going to live in a Banana Republic, we might as well live in a CHEAP one....I'm thinking Hondurus, Guatemala....
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 01:18 AM

Ah that health care is not guaranteed. Been there done that in big Pharma.
Here today. Poof tomorrow.
Oh well.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 01:18 AM

I know it's not what you're looking for but White Marlin mentioned tropical. I hope to be able to do that but in closer to 15 years for me. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but my wife and I are looking at retiring abroad. We may just go for the winter months but who knows for sure. I like Mexico. I always read the most affordable places to retire when one pops up on a website and Mexico is usually close to the top. We both want to be somewhere tropical and we usually go somewhere like that for a vacation every winter.
For some ungodly reason people think Costa Rica is awesome and we've been there and didn't care for it. I like to be able to flush toilet paper and that's only one of the issues with there. That and the US Virgin Islands (St. Thomas) have been the 2 places we don't care to go back to.

In the US what about Tennessee? That seems like a nice scenic state.

We hate winter so this one for us is perfect so far. I hope it stays that way for the next 4 months. No snow here in SW WI and NE Iowa.

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 01:21 AM

^^^^ The average cartel ransom is now over $13,000 so sock some cash away in case you speak English in public and someone is looking to score the $6000+ it takes them to get across the Rio. Even my Hispanic ranchers no longer go to Mexico.

Who's gonna get you back when they call your kids for ransom?
Posted By: snowy

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 01:25 AM

If you are republican? Then move to MN they need more help!!!
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 01:30 AM

Mississippi?
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 01:40 AM

Idaho looks pretty good to me right now.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 01:46 AM

I'm headed to the swamps to retire. The moccasins and gators will ensure no retiring Yankees nearby.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 01:47 AM

AK in Summer and UP in Da Winter
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 01:51 AM

Friends of ours went to Ecuador. Free health care and things are dirt cheap. The little town they are in all the neighbors are US citizens that have retired there. They love it !!!
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 02:05 AM

The WEST= Wyoming is beautiful, Idaho is really nice Montana is sweet never seen western MT but western Pa is something special. Never been to Maine but I'd put that on the list. But been to Alaska twice and would move there in a heart beat if not for the wife.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 02:13 AM

No kids Mark so I guess we'll be stuck with the cartel. We've been on vacation in Mexico several times and have never had a problem. I know it does happen on rare occasions but we also aren't ones to go downtown and sit at the bars all night. We don't leave the resort after dark and are usually in our room shortly after. Of course I'm up before daylight so I get good chairs by the pool too. I know retiring isn't going to be living at a resort. We'll check to see what areas are safe before we do anything else. Northern Mexico where your Hispanic rancher friends go won't be where we were planning on going.

Other countries are on the list too.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 02:14 AM

Every Californian that can has already moved to Idaho. Fastest growing state in the union. In ten years, will be wall to wall Californians, and I suspect the politics will reflect that.
Posted By: archeryisking

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 02:18 AM

Don’t move to PA. This state has gone to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman).

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Badger23
No kids Mark so I guess we'll be stuck with the cartel. We've been on vacation in Mexico several times and have never had a problem. I know it does happen on rare occasions but we also aren't ones to go downtown and sit at the bars all night. We don't leave the resort after dark and are usually in our room shortly after. Of course I'm up before daylight so I get good chairs by the pool too. I know retiring isn't going to be living at a resort. We'll check to see what areas are safe before we do anything else. Northern Mexico where your Hispanic rancher friends go won't be where we were planning on going.

Other countries are on the list too.

Absolutely do not go south of McAllen into Tamaulipas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 02:42 AM

Come to Michigan taxes are high insurance higher DNR is more into selling state land then anything else state should be totally shut down in 10 years so you don't have to worry about goin anywhere one of the top welfare systems in the USA so your money can help the less fortunate
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 02:50 AM

Montana,Wyoming,Alaska
Posted By: Boco

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 02:57 AM

Why do people have to go someplace to retire?
I'm retired,I hunt fish and trap at will,never see any people when I'm out,why would I go someplace else?
I guess if you lived and worked in a place you dont like is why you want to get away to retire.But why not get out of the ratrace 50 years before retirement?

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Why do people have to go someplace to retire?
I'm retired,I hunt fish and trap at will,never see any people when I'm out,why would I go someplace else?
I guess if you lived and worked in a place you dont like is why you want to get away to retire.But why not get out of the ratrace 50 years before retirement?

Maine used to be a Awesome place to live but the liberals are taking over here.

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Gulo
Every Californian that can has already moved to Idaho. Fastest growing state in the union. In ten years, will be wall to wall Californians, and I suspect the politics will reflect that.

THAT'S what I DO NOT UNDERSTAND!

what the [heck's] WRONG with you people??????

you flee the insanity of the politics of a liberal state and STILL VOTE FOR THE SAME CRAP!!!!!
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 03:02 AM

SD I thought it was a rhetorical question my bad. LOL
Posted By: snowy

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 03:05 AM

Montana is a great place but California has taken over and their liberal ways are infesting our culture here.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 03:06 AM

How about tierra del fuego?
I hear the beaver trapping is good.

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 03:12 AM

Careful of SD, ND, WY and possibly KS. Leader of the Open Society, Soros' main global outfit, stepped down today to possibly be appointed to the Biden admin. Yep, he's for the influx of blue into red zones in the name of equality.

The plan is for subsidized housing, and all the trimmings.
If this dude gets in, the heartland will change in the next 4 years.
Assimilation is not the goal like when my ggggrandparents came from Scotland.
It's resettlement of people groups. Blue to red.

How to keep them blue?
$$$$

Hey, at least the progressives are open about it all. They even name the states. TX is on the top 5 list also.
Wonderful.
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by white marlin
if we're going to live in a Banana Republic, we might as well live in a CHEAP one....I'm thinking Hondurus, Guatemala....

except for the hurricane devastation, and speaking spanish

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 03:31 AM

My wife is Bolivian, and its hard to not like the things in the states. thought of retiring outside but i dont think so.

I like ohio alot except for the cold. I think TN would be ok or kentucky or WV if i ever move. But sure, bolvia is the heartland of south america but the hot muggy rain forest outside... in the city is busy with people and cars honking and no respect for people walking. Always keeping a hand on your pockets or looking for the set of eyes staring you down as you walk down the road. Love her family, and the beauty of the country but the land, and travel, the freedom of the states you just cant beat and I was born and raised here..yep, no place like home.

All the south american and central america i think is similiar with their own differences but.. just ok to visit not to retire.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by PineDoggin
The WEST= Wyoming is beautiful, Idaho is really nice Montana is sweet never seen western MT but western Pa is something special. Never been to Maine but I'd put that on the list. But been to Alaska twice and would move there in a heart beat if not for the wife.

I lived in western PA 3/4’s of my life. I left it. Hate humidity and millions of people living all around me. Allegheny National Forest is pretty in the late spring and early October, though.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 03:46 AM

I saw a video about the best states to live in if the 2nd and the constitution were important to you. Utah was number1, with Oklahoma and Nebraska right behind.
Posted By: D.T.

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by snowy
Montana is a great place but California has taken over and their liberal ways are infesting our culture here.

X2. The rot is getting all parts of this country
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 03:57 AM

Watch going South of the boarder, the crime rate is VERY hi. Almost as bad a Chicago. LOL JMO

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by yukon254
I saw a video about the best states to live in if the 2nd and the constitution were important to you. Utah was number1, with Oklahoma and Nebraska right behind.

I hear Oklahoma has some very restrictive trapping regs...
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Gulo

I have a sticker on back of my truck that says Don’t California My Idaho. It won’t keep Californians from moving here but it makes me feel better.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
SD I thought it was a rhetorical question my bad. LOL

Haha

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Getting There
Watch going South of the boarder, the crime rate is VERY hi. Almost as bad a Chicago. LOL JMO

truth
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 04:51 AM

I think Florida and New Hampshire and Nevada don’t have state taxes, if I am not mistaken. That attracts a lot of folks.
Posted By: aknome

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 05:04 AM

Alaska has about as high a cost of living as Hawaii. (Here Gas is $4.25 gal, milk goes for $5.00 gal for example) People love the idea of moving to Alaska until winter; when they spend 20 hours in the dark, and summers when they can't sleep because of 20+ hours of light.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 05:13 AM

Where your friends are.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 08:49 AM

Mark, Lawrence, Overland Park, Olathe Kansas City, are already blue. If there is a nefarious plan afoot to change KS government, D will need to be enticed to move in numbers, to places like Sharon Springs. I don't see that happening. Red districts outnumber blue by a bunch. Blue is not going to take over the legislature any time soon.

Blue won the governors race in the last election by getting out the vote. Our governors election is held in the two years before the presidential election. Lots of people who vote presidential elections don't show up for the governors race. When I told my boss I was headed home so I could vote before the polls closed, he whined about it some. He didn't bother. Next day he was whining about big D winning the governors race. I shut him up pretty quick. Told him I was not interested in anything he had to say about her winning. I dont think she will get another 4 years.

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Mark, Lawrence, Overland Park, Olathe Kansas City, are already blue. If there is a nefarious plan afoot to change KS government, D will need to be enticed to move in numbers, to places like Sharon Springs. I don't see that happening. Red districts outnumber blue by a bunch. Blue is not going to take over the legislature any time soon.

Blue won the governors race in the last election by getting out the vote. Our governors election is held in the two years before the presidential election. Lots of people who vote presidential elections don't show up for the governors race. When I told my boss I was headed home so I could vote before the polls closed, he whined about it some. He didn't bother. Next day he was whining about big D winning the governors race. I shut him up pretty quick. Told him I was not interested in anything he had to say about her winning. I dont think she will get another 4 years.

I hope you're right. 11 million is the number they are projecting to relocate. NYC and LA will not be ground zero.
Posted By: goatman

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 11:02 AM

Moot point if you're talking politics. They are going to stuff the ballot box. Already have. You'll have to get farther west than Missouri and Iowa to get out of humidity.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 11:43 AM

Mark is correct on all of this. The redistribution of people was started under the Obama administration with a law being passed affecting how cities received federal aid. Fill out the form incorrectly and downtown Chicago will be moving to your suburb. It's already happened in some places.

The Soros Open Society has poisoned the world, and many of the billionaires are on board with it.

As time goes on and more people are not working and not paying taxes it will only get worse. Health care , which has already declined in quality continue the downward spiral. States that look good now may not be good in 10 years.

For now, look at states that don't tax your pension money (if you have one), live on the small side economically away from crowds. Look at weather patterns.
I would attempt to stay out of Democrat controlled states.

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 11:49 AM

Historically people needed a job to relocate to earn their way.
Now there's a different plan for maximum voter dispersal. Subsidize.
Housing, food, medical, and communications will all be subsidized.
No need for a job.
Just vote.
For the one who gave you the new apartment, food card, medical card, cell phone.
Not for the one who pays for it all.
No.
For the one who hands other people's $$$ to you.
Fair is fair and the Neo-Globalists continue to evolve.
Wonderfully creative these fine folks using other people's $$$ to build the world into the version they deem righteous.

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 12:10 PM

Great Bend KS is a major metropolitan hub in west KS. Has about 16000 people. Not 160,000. I really don't see anybody building big apartment complexes out that way. Dodge has about 28000. Most people working at one of the big meat packing plants or feedlots. Liberal comes in at 21000, Garden City at 27000 and Goodland at 5000 (not 50,000) Liberal and Garden City are feedlots and beef packing for economies. You need cities to start slipping in people and a legislature willing to hand out welfare. Topeka, our capital is about 128,000 and Wichita a military and aircraft manufacturing town comes in at 383,000. the largest city in KS. Our state population is about 3 million . Its about 210 miles going north to south and 410 east to west. I dont see that happening here in my lifetime.

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 12:19 PM

Great Bend KS is a major metropolitan hub in west KS. Has about 16000 people. Not 160,000. I really don't see anybody building big apartment complexes out that way. Dodge has about 28000. Most people working at one of the big meat packing plants or feedlots. Liberal comes in at 21000, Garden City at 27000 and Goodland at 5000 (not 50,000) Liberal and Garden City are feedlots and beef packing for economies. You need cities to start slipping in people and a legislature willing to hand out welfare. Topeka, our capital is about 128,000 and Wichita a military and aircraft manufacturing town comes in at 383,000. the largest city in KS. Our state population is about 3 million . Its about 210 miles going north to south and 410 east to west. I dont see that happening here in my lifetime.

You plan on dying soon? I sure hope not. grin

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 12:34 PM

My plan is to live forever but I'm getting skeptical that it will happen.

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 12:41 PM

My plan is to live forever but I'm getting skeptical that it will happen.

I'm sending you Rosetta Stone coursework in tomorrow's mail. Spanish and Nigerian. You're gonna need it at the local Family Dollar store to hand in your upcoming JB- DBT (used to be EBT) card for manna and quail.

I just came from Dodge City area bird hunting. The super smell of rendering is still in my truck!
Love them beefs.

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mark June
Careful of SD, ND, WY and possibly KS. Leader of the Open Society, Soros' main global outfit, stepped down today to possibly be appointed to the Biden admin. Yep, he's for the influx of blue into red zones in the name of equality.

The plan is for subsidized housing, and all the trimmings.
If this dude gets in, the heartland will change in the next 4 years.
Assimilation is not the goal like when my ggggrandparents came from Scotland.
It's resettlement of people groups. Blue to red.

How to keep them blue?
$$$$

Hey, at least the progressives are open about it all. They even name the states. TX is on the top 5 list also.
Wonderful.

Wow....not good at all.

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 01:35 PM

California is already populated beyond sustainability. Water is brought in from outside. Habitable land is filled with homes and apartments. There is BLM and forest that could be utilized but it is not going to happen. State is filled with people that multiply like rabbits and live on the government teat. This irresponsible behavior is subsidized with more welfare. They don't have any choice but exodus. There is no room. The cockroaches bring their socialism/communism with them, turning the place they land into what they are fleeing. I don't think its a "plan" so much as bad policy. TIME TO END WELFARE
Posted By: story

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 03:52 PM

Going to add alittle humor to everyones day and Southern Illinois. Low taxes, great governor, and low humidity. LOL

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 04:03 PM

slovenia. can live live like a king on 1000 a month. part of nato and the eu
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 04:58 PM

Simple answer to the OP’s original question. Nevada
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 05:01 PM

Like anything else, it's a crapshoot.

My chosen spot was Valencia, Venezuela. Then Kamila Harris, or someone took over and wrecked the whole country.

My second choice was the highlands of Ecuador. It turned out that my wife was just humoring me, and refused to go with some kind of language barrier excuse.

My third choice was any of a half dozen US states. The only one remaining is South Dakota. The old lady seems to be dragging her feet on that one, too.

I'll probably end up somewhere where a thread of democracy still exists. Like my first choice, Venezuela.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 06:36 PM

I am going back to the Philippines when I retire. I cant wait. Much safer than America. beautiful women, and beaches. cheap prices. Nice people. most speak English.
Posted By: Big Possum

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 07:12 PM

I retired in Illinois. Of course I lived here all my life. Lol. Highest taxes in the country when you combine everything. Only good thing was retirement has no state tax. After the failure of the governors plan to tax all the mullionares failed they are talking about trying to get retirement money taxed. Our gov and legislature will never cut any spending and raise everyone’s taxes just to punish the people for not passing there tax. Have really thought about getting out of this screwball state but all the kids and grandkids live here. I would probably look at Tennessee first. Bad thing about moving south is I hate snakes and love snow ( at least some for a couple months). Not feet of it.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by archeryisking
Don’t move to PA. This state has gone to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman).

X2

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 07:58 PM

Nevada would be interesting
Posted By: 3fox

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 08:23 PM

Sounds like a lot of people are giving up fur trapping in there retirement.
Posted By: JD Hornet

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 09:34 PM

That's because they never did.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by story
Going to add alittle humor to everyones day and Southern Illinois. Low taxes, great governor, and low humidity. LOL

pretty area and great hunting though!!!

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/06/20 10:05 PM

I am seeing many that retire have two home or places they live. TN. looks good to me.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/07/20 12:16 AM

Wherever you can do what you like to do. Sitting doing nothing will kill you.
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/07/20 03:55 PM

I am going to do alaska for 3 months in the summer and Michigans u.p. in the winter.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/07/20 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by 3fox

Just do like the rest of us here on trapperman and become a trapping consultant.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/07/20 04:24 PM

Wrangler, what is wrong with staying in Nev? Are you or the wife retiring from a govt. job?

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/07/20 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by martentrapper
Wrangler, what is wrong with staying in Nev? Are you or the wife retiring from a govt. job?

At least it is warm there.
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/07/20 04:38 PM

I think wrangler is a couple hundred miles North, but Ely, NV. is sometimes the cold spot of the Nation. (Good Cats and Coyotes too)

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/07/20 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
Originally Posted by 3fox

Just do like the rest of us here on trapperman and become a trapping consultant.

A friend told me years ago, 10 miles from home everyone is a expert! LOL
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Best place to retire? - 12/07/20 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by martentrapper

Nevada is nice, some of the things that make it nice also make it hard to live here. Lack of water sure hurts the fishing and gardening. No pasture for livestock.

Yes I'll retire from the federal government.

Been kicking around half time here half Alaska. Or buying a rv park on a river somewhere like Idaho.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums