Home

South Dakota Marten

Posted By: wrestlecoach

South Dakota Marten - 12/07/20 02:53 AM

Are there marten in the Black Hills of South Dakota? Son sent a video from Black Hills today of what looks like a marten to me.
Posted By: TC1

Re: South Dakota Marten - 12/07/20 03:00 AM

I don’t know about marten, but a friend 45 miles west of me showed me a trail cam pic of a fisher two or three years ago. Picture was very clearly a fisher and in the daylight. Very surprising to see, so who knows what all wanders in from time to time.
Posted By: white17

Re: South Dakota Marten - 12/07/20 03:02 AM

I don't know either but I would not be surprised . Looks like the habitat in the BH would be supportive
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: South Dakota Marten - 12/07/20 03:04 AM

They are protected never seen one myself yet.
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: South Dakota Marten - 12/07/20 03:17 AM

Yep we have them. There are a couple areas where they are going well. Friend of mine caught 3 last year live trapping for cats. Released them
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: South Dakota Marten - 12/07/20 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by arcticotter
Yep we have them. There are a couple areas where they are going well. Friend of mine caught 3 last year live trapping for cats. Released them

Thats Awesome
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: South Dakota Marten - 12/07/20 03:23 AM

I think in the very near future we may have a very limited season. There’s some study starting to figure out population estimates.

Re: South Dakota Marten - 12/07/20 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by arcticotter
I think in the very near future we may have a very limited season. There’s some study starting to figure out population estimates.

I'd like to read that when available ! I can't imagine how a guy would go about that.

I do believe they are a pretty fragile species and easy to over-harvest.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: South Dakota Marten - 12/07/20 03:34 AM

We had our first otter season it was very short but we had one.
Posted By: waggler

Re: South Dakota Marten - 12/07/20 03:35 AM

I had heard they relocated some there in recent years. A couple of years ago I drove south of Spearfish to see what the habitat looked like. I did see some areas that looked like potential marten habitat, but it sure didn't look like much of the area was good habitat; it looked too dry to me. Mostly north facing slopes and some darker (damper) canyons that looked okay.

Re: South Dakota Marten - 12/07/20 04:04 AM

Look how dry it is around Gulo's house. Like a popcorn fart most of the time. He has marten right there in the sage...... Not lots but they are there
© 2024 Trapperman Forums