Home

What's up with usps

Posted By: DanN

What's up with usps - 12/18/20 02:53 AM

Got a package that's been sitting an hour away for nearly 20 days with no updates since. Talked with others who have been waiting just as long. How can mail sit there for over 20 days and not move ?

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 02:57 AM

Website says priority mail in by dec.19 for Christmas delivery - ain't no way, aint no way.
Posted By: rudydog

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 02:57 AM

The new management has really slowed and confused mail delivery the past few months.
My business depends on it and in 35 years i have never experienced anything even close to this.
Posted By: waggler

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 02:58 AM

USPS is broken, I have had the same problems recently that you are describing.
Switch to UPS whenever possible.
Some people have good success with FedEx; not me.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 03:13 AM

Same thing here, been waiting for a package for my nephew (whom I will see this weekend) for two weeks now! From a reputable dealer on this site...darned shame!
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 03:14 AM

USPS works hard to not deliver the mail no recourse for poor service they have ways to wear down anyone that dare challenge their system and will pay people more then just paying the claim.

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 03:16 AM

When the chips were down and the new vaccine had to be delivered right and on time the Government went with UPS and FedEx what does that tell you?
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 03:17 AM

USPS is outdated and no longer needed. It is a bloated government program that has outlived it need.
Posted By: BandB

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 03:22 AM

Yet, somehow, they managed to get millions of votes delivered for Biden. Amazing.

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by BandB
Yet, somehow, they managed to get millions of votes delivered for Biden. Amazing.

They got there ahead of time even.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 03:28 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 03:36 AM

So much for priority mail sent out on the 3 last update on the 7th "In transit arriving late" What i cant figure out is when i check traps i see 3 different usps carriers out in my township yes 3 different vechilies, for the last 60 years that i know of we had 1
Posted By: mudtracker

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 03:40 AM

Ups, fed ex and amazon are overwhelming the parcel system, there are other issues too

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 03:50 AM

If they are overwhelmed they shouldn't be advertising that they can get something to someone by Christmas if mailed by the 19th. Paying for priority mail and getting something over 20 days later from one state away is like paying for a big mac and getting a cheeseburger then McDonalds saying sorry, deal with it.
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 04:07 AM

Mudtracker. Don't bother explaining. Its like teaching a Pig to Sing, Not successful and It tends to annoy the pig.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Originally Posted by BandB

They got there ahead of time even.

...and some late!
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 11:21 AM

This is the third thread on poor USPS service in the last couple of weeks.

In the last two I described a package my wife and I sent to Chicago to be forwarded by the military to our daughter in Austria. My wife paid an extra $50.00+ to get ity to Chicago in two days. Two weeks later (yesterday) she got a tracking update that said it arrived at their Chicago facility.

Meanwhile, my daughter messaged us that she received the package yesterday.

My wife was on the phone everyday but got no satisfaction.

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 11:23 AM

I have a package sitting at a facility in Wisconsin for the lat week. USPS tracking says it will be delivered Friday December 11. Well that ain't happening. LOL

No updates for a week so far. And no package.

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 11:25 AM

The USPS is officially blaming personal shortages due to Covid along with an unprecedented amount of mail.

What was their excuse last year? LOL
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 11:31 AM

I used to work for the govt. until a few months ago. What I was seeing was a very reduced acceptable level of work starting in March with the shutdowns. I’m seeing the same thing with teachers in the local school system with their work with no students present. They’re getting perfectly comfortable getting paid through this. They’re not like the people who are struggling to get by because of this govt., both state and federal, over reach,
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 12:04 PM

Awhile back Trump imposed changes on USPS because it is soaking up too many tax dollars. One of the changes to save money was no more overtime. So now a carrier will only load his truck with the amount of mail that can be delivered without staying out late. Google Trumps changes to USPS. Read the old dated articles. What we have now is more unintended consequence. There were other changes as well.
Posted By: marathonman

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 12:10 PM

USPS has run its course..time to end it and let private enterprise run the mail system.Sorry to you gov. postal workers but it has become totally inefficient.Have a package of traps being shipped to me since Dec 6.Tracking # says in transit for over a week now..total distance from start to my house..200 miles...they are the height of inefficiency
Posted By: Choo

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 12:47 PM

Speaking to the choir but I find it somewhat amusing to hear people get fired up about the incompetent USPS when it comes to their Christmas presents but fully trusted them with the presidential election. Glad to see where their priorities are.
Posted By: beeman

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by marathonman
USPS has run its course..time to end it and let private enterprise run the mail system.Sorry to you gov. postal workers but it has become totally inefficient.Have a package of traps being shipped to me since Dec 6.Tracking # says in transit for over a week now..total distance from start to my house..200 miles...they are the height of inefficiency

Sorry, marathonman but I have to disagree with you saying USPS has run its course and we need to let private enterprise run the mail system. The so called “business” person Trump appointed to run the Post Office was a disaster. Ever since this guy was appointed the USPS service went down hill. All this guy did was eliminate sorting machinery and eliminate o/t of the workers. There is no private enterprise that wants to deliver a letter or newspaper for what USPS gets paid to deliver it.

If anything more money needs to be pumped into the USPS to make it more efficient. It is one if not the only government agency that comes close to supporting itself. Yes, it loses money but I doubt there is a mail service in the world that makes money. We should be investing in people and sorting machinery to make our mail system the most efficient in the world.

Without USPS there would be no one to keep parcel rates in check. FedX and UPS rates would likely raise even more and faster than they do now.

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 12:56 PM

The President doesn't appoint the Postmaster General.

The USPS had big problems long before Trump's administration.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 12:57 PM

I have a package I sent out dec4 and it stayed in PA for 12 days. It is now in S Carolina sitting in a facilty there. Im taking all kinds of flak from the customer on behalf of USPS- I got it to them in time. I will say most of the time they do great but Ive never seen a Xmas season go matrix slow like this one.
Posted By: Squash

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 12:58 PM

USPS, a government bureaucracy, staffed by union workers, need I say more ? My wife is a retired Postmaster with 33 years of service.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 01:03 PM

I went by the outside drop box at the post office yesterday afternoon to drop some Christmas cards and the two LARGE OVERSIZE drop boxes were full and I couldn't even get my cards stuffed into the drop boxes. I'll check again this morning. They are supposed to be emptied every day at 5:00 P.M.
Posted By: snowy

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 01:08 PM

I see some of these threads and I understand the inconveniences this may have caused. I also beleive people just need to relax and give these delivery people/companies some slack.
I have also had some packages take many weeks to month's to arrive but it is what it is now.
Posted By: flatdead

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 01:12 PM

If you have a package that is "stuck" you need to contact the post office directly. They will do a internal search and get things moving. I ship more packages then most as a eBay, Gunbroker seller and have had this several times over the years.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by snowy
I see some of these threads and I understand the inconveniences this may have caused. I also beleive people just need to relax and give these delivery people/companies some slack.
I have also had some packages take many weeks to month's to arrive but it is what it is now.

And just accepting it is why it will never get any better. Accountability is needed and should be expected.

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1

And just accepting it is why it will never get any better. Accountability is needed and should be expected.

This is a completely unacceptable level of service.

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by beeman

Sorry, marathonman but I have to disagree with you saying USPS has run its course and we need to let private enterprise run the mail system. The so called “business” person Trump appointed to run the Post Office was a disaster. Ever since this guy was appointed the USPS service went down hill. All this guy did was eliminate sorting machinery and eliminate o/t of the workers. There is no private enterprise that wants to deliver a letter or newspaper for what USPS gets paid to deliver it.

If anything more money needs to be pumped into the USPS to make it more efficient. It is one if not the only government agency that comes close to supporting itself. Yes, it loses money but I doubt there is a mail service in the world that makes money. We should be investing in people and sorting machinery to make our mail system the most efficient in the world.

Without USPS there would be no one to keep parcel rates in check. FedX and UPS rates would likely raise even more and faster than they do now.

The USPO has been a joke for many years but you blame Trump what a surprise. LOL Just look at what they did to flat rate pricing it was a deal at one time now it has almost doubled. The red tape mess and lack of accountability makes for poor service they charge high prices and can ask for tax money to help with their loses. Ask yourself how UPS and FedEx do the same job and profit from it.
Posted By: Big Possum

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 02:23 PM

USPS was busy enough but the precious private companies couldn’t handle the volume so they put quotas on how much they would pick up from certain big shippers. Result was a huge influx of packages to the USPS. They don’t have the option to tell Amazon or anyone else your shipping more than we can handle so we are not going to pick it all up like the private companies do. Our carrier went from his standard car load a day to several carloads a day and he is supposed to get it done in same amount of time because of no overtime.

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 02:48 PM

Don't order anything online, go drive some place and buy it off the shelf. Same day and have your item in hand and no waiting. Problem solved! Then if all did that, the processes would speed up for the rest us.

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 02:54 PM

A lot of the cheaper options have been eliminated and replaced by “faster” more expensive options that are no faster in any way.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by beeman

Throwing more money at it will fix the problem. That always works. Ask Amtrak.
Posted By: Cletis Richards

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I went by the outside drop box at the post office yesterday afternoon to drop some Christmas cards and the two LARGE OVERSIZE drop boxes were full and I couldn't even get my cards stuffed into the drop boxes. I'll check again this morning. They are supposed to be emptied every day at 5:00 P.M.

probably full of absentee ballots headed to Georgia
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 04:55 PM

Don't order anything online, go drive some place and buy it off the shelf. Same day and have your item in hand and no waiting. Problem solved! Then if all did that, the processes would speed up for the rest us.

Problem is you drive to store and they don't have it !!!
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 05:05 PM

Well I got my own horror story. I an one that earlier was saying cut them slack as the hundreds of more packages because of online shopping. BUT now I have a story. My nephews birthday was Dec12 . He lives 70 miles away so I mailed it. He still hasn't received it. It first went to Memphis tenn 381 miles. Going right past the town he lives in. It left there Tuesday ( 5 days past the delivery date) to Cincinnati Oh . (481 miles ) and has been sitting there for 4 days.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 05:13 PM

If last months mail was handled like this months mail Trump would have won
Posted By: rick olson

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 05:43 PM

Christmas rush I’ve been waiting for a dozen Jakes for 10 days now,hoping tomorrow or Monday we’ll see

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by jeff karsten
If last months mail was handled like this months mail Trump would have won

LOL! There might be something to that!!
Posted By: cohunt

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 06:28 PM

USPS shipping at least(we use UPS and Fed EX much less) varies greatly regionally. We shipped a package that was picked up on our rural route afternoon of the 16th headed to Parkersburg Iowa that passed through Sioux Falls SD and Des Moines Iowa on the 17th and was delivered today. However, according to my post mistress, the Chicago regional facility is just jammed and USPS is rerouting attempting to get past that facility. A package that we shipped on the 14th to Illinois passed through the Kansas City office where it normally would not go in order to bypass the Chicago facility and delivery is expected yet today or tomorrow. I suspect that if one has stuff that has to pass through several of these overloaded facilities it appears that everything is just at a total standstill. Then if we add in the packages that get tossed into the wrong bins because workers are rushing which results in the package heading off the wrong direction, it explains about all of the current mess.

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 06:33 PM

The drop box I was whining about had been emptied this morning. It's all good.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 06:40 PM

[Linked Image]

This is the message in my USPS Informed Delivery.

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 07:57 PM

They have been screwing the pooch for decades Covid is just another excuse for them, at times they run well but then the wheels come off over nothing.
Posted By: 3fox

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
The President doesn't appoint the Postmaster General.

The USPS had big problems long before Trump's administration.

Trump told the post office if they wanted any money that they would need to get rid of brennan and appoint dejoy. brennan was forced into retirement.

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 09:54 PM

Brennan served her full term and on October 16, 2019, announced in a statement that she would be retiring upon fulfilling her five-year commitment as Postmaster General. However, on January 6, her retirement was delayed until a successor could be found.
Posted By: 3fox

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 10:13 PM

trump told the postal board either dejoy becomes postmaster general or they will get no money.

Re: What's up with usps - 12/18/20 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by 3fox
Trump told the post office if they wanted any money that they would need to get rid of brennan and appoint dejoy. brennan was forced into retirement.

“When I was appointed Postmaster General, I made a commitment to the Board of Governors that I would serve for five years and it has been my absolute honor to do so,” said Brennan.

Not only did Megan Brennan serve her full term, she served an additional two months until a suitable replacement could be found. She served three of of those years during Trump's administration. It doesn't sound like anybody got rid of her. she simply served her term and retired at that position.

Dejoy didn't become Postmaster General until six months ago.

Originally Posted by 3fox
trump told the postal board either dejoy becomes postmaster general or they will get no money.

Do you have any links to, or proof that Trump told the USPS to "appoint Dejoy or no more money?

Because your story is sounding a lot like the same old "Orange Man Bad crap we have been hearing for years now.

It doesn't add up.
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: What's up with usps - 12/19/20 01:23 AM

I bought a pair of coil spring setters from Dave Sheldon as a gift for the neighbor kid. He shipped them around the 4th or 5th of December. According to the tracking number they've been in transit ever since.

Ordered some 2" fender washers from amazon prime. They were shipped and arrived in St. Louis on the 3rd of December. The shipping warehouse is 20 miles from my house. Still haven't seen them yet. lol

ol'dad

Re: What's up with usps - 12/19/20 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by bowhunter27295
I have 3 raspberry plants that have been stuck in Atlanta since December 9. I could have drove down there and been back in two days comfortably.

If I had listened to the Google GPS gal I'd still be stuck in Atlanta myself 2 weeks later.
Posted By: Miley

Re: What's up with usps - 12/19/20 11:38 AM

Way over their head! I have a pkg that was mailed in another state that had not moved in 12 days! I opened a “ case” and started getting updates. I now get updates “ new dates” that the pkg is on its way to a facility. Doesn’t say where the pkg is in transit. So someone has been scanning the pkg and it’s on its way supposedly.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums