Home

Bobcat mount under construction

Posted By: Posco

Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 01:34 PM

He just started it yesterday. I'll post pics as it moves along and he forwards them to me. The kid has some serious talent. Here's the cat the day I caught it for comparison purposes..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: swift4me

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 01:45 PM

I'm no expert but that is the best bobcat face I've seen in a long time. The eyes are perfect.

Pete
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 01:49 PM

Yep he nailed the face can’t wait to see the finished mount GREAT JOB so far
Posted By: DecoyMacoy

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 01:51 PM

Yeah a quality mount is almost all about the eyes and this mount nailed it. Beautiful.
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 01:51 PM

Awesome job so far!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 01:54 PM

Really Nice Work!
Posted By: Kansas Rook

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 01:56 PM

Fantastic! cats are the toughest to get right. He nailed it!
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 01:58 PM

Perfect eyes and face!!!

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 01:58 PM

I'm glad you guys like it. The taxidermist is just a young fellow, I don't know if he's thirty, but he sure found his calling.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 02:07 PM

Yes he has!!!!!!
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 02:15 PM

I would say that he captured the essence and also the age of that Cat. Very nice
Posted By: wheelers

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 02:17 PM

Looks good
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by swift4me
I'm no expert but that is the best bobcat face I've seen in a long time. The eyes are perfect.

Pete

X2! Looks awesome!
Posted By: BigSky

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 03:09 PM

You nailed the face perfectly!!! Great work.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 03:26 PM

Looks awesome.How did he get the head to look that great in just one day.Where are all the pins that hold it untill it`s dried?I`m no taxidermist so I have no idea how long it should take,I just thought it took longer.If I could get a cat mounted and have it look like that I would probably get one done.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 03:38 PM

Perfect !
Posted By: JoeyHalk

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 04:04 PM

Best looking cat mount I've seen in awhile..

I am getting the same pose done with mine, but open mouth.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 04:07 PM

For once that is a good looking cat. Keep us posted when its done.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 04:29 PM

Looks purrfect!!

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 05:42 PM

He sent me another update about an hour ago. This is going to be on my wall a lot sooner than I expected if he keeps this pace up. He said he still needs to paint everything up...I'm assuming the nose and put the whiskers back in and it will start really coming together. I would say.
[Linked Image]

Posted By: cat_trapper_nv

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 05:46 PM

I hate bobcat mounts. They are always way way off from what a cat looks like. I've only seen a couple good one, but I might be able to say I've seen a few now. That face is spot on!

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by forestman3
Looks awesome.How did he get the head to look that great in just one day.Where are all the pins that hold it untill it`s dried?I`m no taxidermist so I have no idea how long it should take,I just thought it took longer.If I could get a cat mounted and have it look like that I would probably get one done.

I know the pins you're speaking of, I've seen them on some of his other mounts. This hide spent two years in another taxidermists shop and when I found out he hadn't done anything with it other than send it out to be tanned I took it back. That taxidermist does good cats but not as good as this one so it was really a stroke of luck for me.

I asked this guy (Cody) to expedite the cat where it had languished so long and I was fearful we might lose the hide. It came back to me in a bag and frozen. You're correct in your observation. He might have started on it a week or more ago but this was the first I'd heard from him and I likely made an inaccurate assumption.

Posted By: Taximan

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 07:55 PM

Very nice work there,Posco.Pins aren't always necessary,if you adjust and tune it daily,till it dries.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 07:59 PM

Nailed it!!! One of the best I have seen. I can't wait to see the done product.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 08:10 PM

IT LOOKS awesome !! But I will point out that he used the wrong eyes . I may be wrong but the pupil on a bobcat isn't round. BUT the ears and position of the head is brilliant

[Linked Image]

yep yote eyes for sure

Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 08:14 PM

I'm a taxi-snob.
That looks like a very good start.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 08:15 PM

Looks great!
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 08:41 PM

I’ve noticed the dialation of the pupils when you walk up close to them. Looks pretty real to me.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 09:20 PM

Nice job.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
IT LOOKS awesome !! But I will point out that he used the wrong eyes . I may be wrong but the pupil on a bobcat isn't round. BUT the ears and position of the head is brilliant

[Linked Image]

yep yote eyes for sure

Cat pupils are wide open and round at night and dilate to narrow vertical slits in bright daylight.
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 10:23 PM

I sure mine looks that good
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/23/20 10:33 PM

Best cat mount i have ever seen.

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/24/20 01:51 AM

IT LOOKS awesome !! But I will point out that he used the wrong eyes . I may be wrong but the pupil on a bobcat isn't round.

You are correct. The taxi told me well ahead of time that he used round pupils on his cats intentionally. He said getting the narrow pupils aligned properly was a nightmare for most taxidermists. I'll let him know someone noticed and maybe that will force him to refine his technique. I'm happy as can be with the round pupils.
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/24/20 02:15 AM

That really came out nice.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/24/20 02:20 AM

Ive killed many bcats and all had round pupils.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/24/20 03:20 AM

I like it
Well Done
Posted By: adam m

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/24/20 03:56 AM

Looks fantastic
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/24/20 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by cat_trapper_nv
I hate bobcat mounts. They are always way way off from what a cat looks like. I've only seen a couple good one, but I might be able to say I've seen a few now. That face is spot on!

I agree. Almost every one you see looks wrong, but this one is one of the few that looks perfect. I sure hope he don't screw it up now. grin

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/24/20 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
I agree. Almost every one you see looks wrong, but this one is one of the few that looks perfect. I sure hope he don't screw it up now. grin

I've been pumping the kid telling him how I'm spreading his fame far and wide. He's putting everything he's got into this one.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/24/20 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Posco
Originally Posted by ~ADC~

I've been pumping the kid telling him how I'm spreading his fame far and wide. He's putting everything he's got into this one.

PM me his info. a taxi that can do perfect cats is hard to find!
Posted By: H5Farm

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/24/20 04:07 AM

You tell him if he needs an example of what not to do I can show him my mount!!!!!!!!! Its in the garage lol

Awesome mount he has great talent.

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/24/20 04:11 AM

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/24/20 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Taximan
Coyote pupils aren't that big.Cat eyes do dilate and become almost round when opened up.This isn't only due to the amount of light.watch a cat when it gets around catnip,plays with a toy or small prey,or when excited or scared.They will dilate.

Good to know.

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/24/20 04:38 AM

[Linked Image]

yep yote eyes for sure

Coyote pupils aren't that big.Cat eyes do dilate and become almost round when opened up.This isn't only due to the amount of light.watch a cat when it gets around catnip,plays with a toy or small prey,or when excited or scared.They will dilate.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/24/20 05:06 AM

All I can say is WOW, Posco! Good for you!

Moosetrot

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/24/20 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot

Moosetrot

Thanks, Moosetrot. How is that antler supply holding up?
Posted By: poconobear

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/24/20 10:32 PM

Bobcats, especially the face, seem to give a lot of taxidermists trouble. Your cat is one of a very few I’ve seen that look real.
Posted By: wildlifeartist1

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/25/20 05:17 AM

Nice mount on your bobcat Taximan love that lynxcat
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/25/20 03:20 PM

IT LOOKS awesome !! But I will point out that he used the wrong eyes . I may be wrong but the pupil on a bobcat isn't round.

You are correct. The taxi told me well ahead of time that he used round pupils on his cats intentionally. He said getting the narrow pupils aligned properly was a nightmare for most taxidermists. I'll let him know someone noticed and maybe that will force him to refine his technique. I'm happy as can be with the round pupils.

As has been pointed out, those eyes are not even remotely wrong. The statement that cat pupils are always vertical slits is about as correct as saying that a cat track never shows claws. Ain't so. Taximan's photos show it plainly. If a cat is agitated or excited their pupils dialate bigtime. And your taxidermist is correct, Posco, aligning the verticle pupil eye on a 'cat mount is a royal pain in the pitooty. Back in the day, like 25 years ago, my reputation for mounting a realistic 'cat was well known in our neck of the woods, and I had plenty of them to mount. Even so, I still cring when I see some of the old 'cat mounts I did!! Unfortunetly I am violently allergic to the dang things and had to quit excepting them to mount, but I sure enjoyed working on 'cats when I wasn't sneezing and snoting.

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/25/20 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by J.Morse
As has been pointed out, those eyes are not even remotely wrong. The statement that cat pupils are always vertical slits is about as correct as saying that a cat track never shows claws. Ain't so. Taximan's photos show it plainly. If a cat is agitated or excited their pupils dialate bigtime. And your taxidermist is correct, Posco, aligning the verticle pupil eye on a 'cat mount is a royal pain in the pitooty.

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. At the rate he is going I should have this back in a week if not sooner and I'll post pics of the finished product. He does a really good job and goes well out of his way to give his customers what they want, he won't hesitate to modify a mold to suit a request.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/25/20 03:47 PM

Moosetrot

Thanks, Moosetrot. How is that antler supply holding up?

Always looking, Posco! Tough t get good Moose and Caribou here in Wisconsin. Hips and all doing great and can finally get back into working in the shop.

Moosetrot
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/25/20 03:48 PM

Please don't question Jbyrd!!

That cat looks great so far.

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/25/20 03:54 PM

Always looking, Posco! Tough t get good Moose and Caribou here in Wisconsin. Hips and all doing great and can finally get back into working in the shop.

Moosetrot

I've had you in mind. They're dropping but I've only made one short excursion looking for them. I'll keep you filled in.
Originally Posted by bucksnbears

I've been passing on the compliments to the taxidermist. Glad you like it.

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/25/20 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by wildlifeartist1
Nice mount on your bobcat Taximan love that lynxcat

Thanks,WA.I really liked that last bobcat you posted AND the spotted skunk.I keep threatening to mount a spotted skunk for myself.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/25/20 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears

I agree B&B it looks awesome as I pointed out earlier !!!!
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/25/20 05:16 PM

Posco, I wouldn't change a thing, I myself prefer the dilated pupils, that bobcat is absolutely beautiful!
Posted By: topgun

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/25/20 05:28 PM

I have done taxidermy for over 30 years and that is a excellent job according to the pic if it was in a competition and I was a judge he would get a blue ribbon that
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/25/20 06:24 PM

He has skill and a vision for life like mounting. Good work..

Re: Bobcat mount under construction - 12/25/20 07:28 PM

I'm glad you guys like it. To top it off, the guy is one of the most likable people you would ever want to meet. Can't wait to get it on the wall.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums