Home

Cleaning skulls

Posted By: strike2x

Cleaning skulls - 12/24/20 03:45 PM

Does anyone have any methods other than using beetles? I am looking for a way to clean skulls like boiling,, solvents or the likes. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Cleaning skulls - 12/24/20 04:01 PM

Basic recipe for me is. Boil skull, pick and scrub off meat sometimes I use the air compressor. Degrease with Dawn dish soap. And whiten with peroxide. These three basic steps are all done a little different by people. I buy cheap peroxide at the dollar store and submerge it until I like the way it looks then wash well and dry. Glueing of teeth and jaws etc... sometimes has to be done.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Cleaning skulls - 12/24/20 04:08 PM

A final coat of Mop & Glo gives them a nice smell and satin finish.
Posted By: Knappett

Re: Cleaning skulls - 12/24/20 04:09 PM

Put it in the slow cooker on low. If it gets too hot it will shrink and could Crack too
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Cleaning skulls - 12/24/20 04:24 PM

Never use more heat than a simmer to take the meat off it will crack the teeth and some times light bone structure.

Use sal soda to help remove the gristle and fats, makes cleaning them up much easier, rinse real good then use hydrogen peroxide for whitening, don't use bleach it will true yellow with age as you can't get it out of the bone.

You still may have teeth to glue in though it just happens some they will just fall out

You can spray with a nice acrylic coating or just leave them natural

Best part of harvesting besides the catch is a trophy you have done your self, enjoy !!

Re: Cleaning skulls - 12/24/20 04:30 PM

Thanks all, I am going to try a couple to see if I can make something work.
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Cleaning skulls - 12/24/20 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by dirtydogtrapping
Google whitebone creations on youtube. The guy has a ton of step by step videos on all kinds of critters.

I do mine the same way. This guy has it going on. I’ve done everything from porkypines to mature bucks. Works awesome. Only issues I’ve had are the tiny teeth in small skulls. I’m working on that.
Posted By: GUK

Re: Cleaning skulls - 12/24/20 05:27 PM

Put skulls in shrimp pots, let sea lice clean them. Zero effort , finish with glue/sealer after they dry a couple of weeks. Bonus is having to eat fresh shrimp with this method.
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Cleaning skulls - 12/24/20 05:35 PM

If you have time and patience...just cover with water in a bucket, throw in a handful of garden dirt, cover and leave it for 4 weeks. Spray off excess meat with a garden hose spray nozzle. Refill the bucket with clean water and dawn soap and let sit for 3 days and then dump and fill with high test peroxide and soak overnight. Put it in the sun and voila, nice clean and white
No beetles, no heat, no solvents
I have done deer, beaver skulls and coon peckers this way with good success
Posted By: Outdoors Guy

Re: Cleaning skulls - 12/24/20 05:39 PM

I like to crock pot them with some laundry detergent as it helps get the fatty stuff gelled up and doesnt hurt the bones
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Cleaning skulls - 12/24/20 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by slydogx
If you have time and patience...just cover with water in a bucket, throw in a handful of garden dirt, cover and leave it for 4 weeks. Spray off excess meat with a garden hose spray nozzle. Refill the bucket with clean water and dawn soap and let sit for 3 days and then dump and fill with high test peroxide and soak overnight. Put it in the sun and voila, nice clean and white
No beetles, no heat, no solvents
I have done deer, beaver skulls and coon peckers this way with good success

What does the dirt do?
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Cleaning skulls - 12/24/20 06:07 PM

The dirt adds aerobic bacteria to the mix quickly
Posted By: Squash

Re: Cleaning skulls - 12/24/20 07:03 PM

I boil them with my turkey fryer burner. Use dish soap and change water several times. Don't over boil. After picking all meat, brains etc.. Then I make a slurry with 40% Hydrogen peroxide and basic white. (Can be purchased at your wife’s hair salon.)Paint on, careful not to get any on the antlers. Let set and dry in full sun. Then rinse and dry again.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Cleaning skulls - 12/24/20 07:14 PM

There is a canadian kid that does nice work maybe he will chime in. I always forget his name- he uses some gel so he always has cute hair and posts a lot of pictures of himself. Sure wish I could remember his handle here. His pictures always make me think he would look good in a skirt or some daisy dukes LOL.

What is that kids user name here- can anyone help?
grin

Re: Cleaning skulls - 12/24/20 08:46 PM

[Linked Image]
Did this today. So far so good. In whitening bath now. It is a Christmas present so no pressure or hurry. Lol. Thanks for all the help. The whitebone videos are great help. I have to put all teeth back and he suggested not cooking to a point they fall out but it's my first experience. Thanks again for all the help.

Re: Cleaning skulls - 12/24/20 09:38 PM

[Linked Image]
After peroxide and water boil/bath. I was just shy of the right amount of peroxide and from what whitebone say you should use stuff from hair salon to get pure white but I am happy with this. Should whiten a little more when dry.
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: Cleaning skulls - 12/24/20 10:04 PM

Posted By: Eddie43

Re: Cleaning skulls - 12/24/20 10:45 PM

I do mine with that youtube guys method. Works great!

Attached picture fox.jpg
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Cleaning skulls - 12/24/20 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by slydogx
The dirt adds aerobic bacteria to the mix quickly

Thank you!
Posted By: ozark trapper ia

Re: Cleaning skulls - 12/24/20 11:31 PM

I have my buck skull from this year going right now. Arm@ Hammer super washing soda and just short of boiling for a few hours. Have done it this way for years. I think I will try slydogx way also never heard of that way. Going to go grab a doe head and skin it out. Thanks
Posted By: RKH

Re: Cleaning skulls - 12/25/20 01:28 PM

I use maceration method ..bucket of water ..prefer pond water and a fish tank heater then clean off and put in a buckets of oxyclean till i can get at it again they come out nice and white ..the process stinks to high heaven but they come out beautiful
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Cleaning skulls - 12/25/20 03:28 PM

My y friend in wy used to have a skull business, european mounts, two weeks in ninety degree water, some dirt added for bacteria, then warm water bath in simple green to guy oil from bone, then peroxide magnesium paste to briten
© 2024 Trapperman Forums