Home

Mink = frustration

Posted By: mudtracker

Mink = frustration - 12/25/20 05:18 PM

[Linked Image]
There is this culvert at my folks place, it separates a large marsh from medium sized stream. You would think it would be a mink massacre spot. But sadly no, I have had traps at or near this culvert for hundreds of days over the years and have never got one at it. They will come near but just bounce on past it. So since the snowstorm wed night one has gone through the culvert twice. I'm not trapping yet but this mink is really taunting me.
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: Mink = frustration - 12/25/20 05:33 PM

Make bottom edge sets. Find any open water at feeders or field tiles and make baited pocket sets there. If you can set snares follow the tracks and you should be able to find places where you can snare him at. Right where he goes around that cattail would be a good spot if he returns.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Mink = frustration - 12/25/20 06:15 PM

Put the trap where his tracks are.

Re: Mink = frustration - 12/25/20 07:00 PM

It's pretty open, next time he'll come thru in another spot. Its frustrating trying to trap them in this spot. Best luck I've had is with baited conibear cubbies or live traps brushed in and baited. I've actually caught far more by accident in muskrat sets in this marsh and stream than I have in mink and coon sets.
Posted By: PaRay

Re: Mink = frustration - 12/25/20 08:33 PM

Ain’t it fun! Just when you think you got them little stink missiles figured out....
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Mink = frustration - 12/25/20 09:56 PM

A piece of stove pipe on his trail might do the trick.
Posted By: eric space

Re: Mink = frustration - 12/26/20 02:05 AM

Hard to tell from your picture but if the culvert is under the snow or if it is frozen at the water level leaving some culvert above ice level block it with snow leaving one tube type hole. Every mink will go thru this snow hole and into the culvert. Here we can only use snares above water level so I use a 2 quart pop bottle with both ends cut off to make a tunnel, my snare is placed in the middle and then snow packed all around to fill the culvert entrance. Can easily also be done with a conibear or foot trap. Super deadly set.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AJE

Re: Mink = frustration - 12/26/20 05:08 AM

Bottom edge set... Try 1 with a carrot on a 110.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Mink = frustration - 12/26/20 02:24 PM

Find the pinch points.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Mink = frustration - 12/26/20 02:42 PM

That mink should be easy to get. Use some smelt and setup as a cuddy or edge of bottom to set your body grip. That over hanging grass under the bank or make a cave/hole using what you have in the picture.

If you could keep that water open you would set where ice and water meet with a body grip and some bait on either side of the trap.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Mink = frustration - 12/26/20 05:49 PM

What Computer Hater said.

Re: Mink = frustration - 01/03/21 06:17 AM

[Linked Image]
Here is the blind set I made

[Linked Image]

It worked

[Linked Image]
Two sets in this pic. One blind set just left of the coni box.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Mink = frustration - 01/03/21 10:42 AM

Good job, congratulations.
Posted By: Cameron Kelsey

Re: Mink = frustration - 01/03/21 02:19 PM

Nice work Mudtracker!
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Mink = frustration - 01/03/21 03:32 PM

Any weasel lure in that mink box ?

Re: Mink = frustration - 01/03/21 04:18 PM

Just a handfull of dead minnows. I gotta dig thru the lure box and find something minky.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Mink = frustration - 01/03/21 04:39 PM

Nice catch, congrats!!

I like blind setting, once you learn it there's less to carry around, just traps.

Re: Mink = frustration - 01/03/21 07:41 PM

Connecting with blind set, after freeze up, in the snow mink is ridiculously satisfying to me.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Mink = frustration - 01/03/21 07:50 PM

Way to go.Congrats
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Mink = frustration - 01/03/21 08:34 PM

Right on. Way to stick with it. I'd keep that one for yourself. Prices being what they are
Posted By: jk

Re: Mink = frustration - 01/03/21 08:44 PM

What Eric Space said, he is the mink king to me. And I used to use Hawbakers fox 100 for everything when I was a kid, it worked for mink then and should now......jk Ps I used it deer hunting back then too
© 2024 Trapperman Forums