Home

So I got this M1 Carbine

Posted By: Wolfdog91

So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 03:24 AM

Ok before anyone freaks out please relax lol I do t wanna add scopes and lazers and ati stock or something to it I just have this old M1 that hasn't been shot is years, just sits in the corner and collects dust. Thinking about reloading for it soon but felt like I might should do something to it. I mean it functions perfectly fine but seems like the original owner (either my dad or granddad) tried add in my a layer of laquer of float coat to it. Also has serface rust and seems the front sight was filed at one point. Really the only thing I really wanna do is change the front sight to one of the ones with the protective ears but that's about it. Wanted to see what y'all thought.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Finster

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 03:26 AM

I think I want it. What does that shoot .30 long?
Posted By: Boco

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 03:29 AM

Hows the bore?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 03:33 AM

Really Cool!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 03:34 AM

how the original is attached and how to get it on and off

Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 03:45 AM

Is that compensator a add on or the actual end of the barrel?

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 03:47 AM

what Make ? looks like one of the pre bayonet lug or civilian service

if you just want a better front sight you can probably just drive that sight out and put a new one in

you might do some measuring make sure the barrel didn't get cut down at some point and is still 16 inches if you take that muzzle device off.

0000 steel wool and oil on all that surface rust and see what you can get off.

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Finster
I think I want it. What does that shoot .30 long?

.30 carbine. Stupidly fun to shoot lol not much recoil at all.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Between a .22lr and .223 for comparison

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
Is that compensator a add on or the actual end of the barrel?

I actually have no clue, come to think of it I've never seen another with on like that that I can recall

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
what Make ? looks like one of the pre bayonet lug or civilian service

if you just want a better front sight you can probably just drive that sight out and put a new one in

you might do some measuring make sure the barrel didn't get cut down at some point and is still 16 inches if you take that muzzle device off.

0000 steel wool and oil on all that surface rust and see what you can get off.

It's an inland but that's about all I can make out on the barrel and your right about the break ,hadn't thought about that

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Hows the bore?

Dusty but other than that looks decent

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 03:55 AM

serial number lookup

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/serialnumbers.html
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 04:05 AM

My only advice is never, ever get rid of it if it belonged to your Dad or Grandad. It may have their blood, sweat, and tears on it.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 04:39 AM

I did my annual qualification with the M1 carbine when I was in Guam 1968. It shot well, and was able to shoot expert with it. I preferred it to the M-16.

Nice weapon Wolfdog.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 12:47 PM

If your using the peep sight, might wanna keep the front sight thats on there. Front sights with ears sometimes make "three sets of front sights" when using a peep. If your going for a quick shot at a rabbit, that "left ear" of the front sight might be what you see through the peep.

Cool rifle!

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
If your using the peep sight, might wanna keep the front sight thats on there. Front sights with ears sometimes make "three sets of front sights" when using a peep. If your going for a quick shot at a rabbit, that "left ear" of the front sight might be what you see through the peep.

Cool rifle!

You have a point there lol

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
My only advice is never, ever get rid of it if it belonged to your Dad or Grandad. It may have their blood, sweat, and tears on it.

Moosetrot

Actually from my understanding this and another one where given to my grandad as a dept payment I think. Him and dad barely touched them just sat them in the corner and let them collect dust and this one may have had 30 rounds though it in the last 20 or so years (and I'm not even joking). But still no desire to get rid of it
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 03:13 PM

Simply gorgeous always wanted one
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot

Moosetrot

X2
Posted By: iaduckhntr

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 03:38 PM

I'm lookn for one, not a collector, but just a shooter, clean bore and not all beat-up, not cheep anymore
Dennis .
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 03:39 PM

I have a M1 .30 carbine. Cheaper Universal brand made in Florida with some original and aftermarket (non military) parts, I like it. It has killed a few deer at my 75 yard max food plot. Nice 110 grain soft point hunting rounds are made for them now. I have Michigan hunting legal 5 round mag, several 15 rounds and some 30 round mags.
Posted By: waggler

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 03:45 PM

Whatever you do keep it as original as possible, if you want restore it just do the minimal work to get back to original worn condition; no re-bluing or wood work.
Do not get rid of it, that is a keeper. Really fun to shoot too.
I remember when there was still a lot of surplus ammo for those; no more I'm guessing. But it should be a cheap caliber to reload.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 04:07 PM

I like them. I hand shoot them to well because they are so small and the LOP is way to short for me. Semi ok with a limbsaver pad on it, but the missus like the little rifle and I load for it. If you use Barrys bullets ( they are copper plated lead ) its the cheapest gun I have to load for as it sips powder. I use either IMR 4198 or H110 I do have some Sierra soft nose hunting bullets for social work as well other than the lead stuff for plinking.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 04:19 PM

When I got mine, someone pot a scope on it but I did get the original sights with it and put them back on and the original top hand guard as well. Its just look goofy with a scope
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 06:10 PM

Mine's a National Postal Meter,date 10/43 on the barrel.I've owned it for close to 40 years now,paid $200 for it.Shot a lot of deer with it when I first got it,use it within its range and proper shot placement will drop a deer as fast as any other round.Still use it some for coyote calling,does a great job on our coyotes.It's entered semi retirement ,I figured it way more than earned its keep.I can't believe the price they bring nowdays,I wasn't too happy paying $200 in the early '80's,figured I'd paid too much.I had a guy tell me he bought one from the NRA in the 60's ,if I remember right I think he said he paid $25.Don't know how true that is.
Posted By: Dean Mitchell

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 06:39 PM

When walking guard was better to carry the carbine than a M1 rifle!!!!!!
Posted By: Deerhunter51

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 07:22 PM

I load 12.8 grains of H110 behind a 110 gr FMJ for 1800 FPS and they function well in all my carbines. The comp on yours is not USGI but there are plenty of government issue parts out there to include barrels if you end up doing any restoration work. Hang on to it, they’re drying up..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30/06

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 07:27 PM

I'm envious Wolfdog, I would love to have one, but my wallet's not fat enough! I notice there is a new-manufactured one, perhaps by Auto Ordinance. How does the new compare to the classic?
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 09:11 PM

Cool gat Wolfie, I may be jealous. Back in the late 60's they were cheap as heck to buy, even cheaper to plink with. My one cousin actually carried his while deer hunting. I wanted one then, I want one now!
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 10:49 PM

Fun plinking gun. 15 years ago they were 200 bucks everywhere at gun shows. Price has tripled now. So has ammo. All gun shows in NY have many types and configurations for sale. Well at least when we can have gun shows again
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/26/20 11:31 PM

Here's my bet on the front site.
When these guns were first issued, the armorer sighted them in by filing down the front site. This worked as deigned with the original flip rear site.
The problem came about once these guns were in service and had their rear sites upgraded to fully adjustable type.
The replacement rear sites sit higher than the original flip sights. So now the original front site is too low to match the new site. This results in the gun shooting way too high with no simple way to rectify the problem.
Whoever had your gun did what he could to make it shoot right.
You may be able to find an original unmolested front site which should work with your adjustable rear sight. The blade should be higher than the top of the holes in the sides of the ears on an unmolested original front sight.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: So I got this M1 Carbine - 12/27/20 01:20 AM

Wolfy, you're gonna really freak out when the time comes and you get your hands on a real NICE rifle smile
© 2024 Trapperman Forums