Home

My Very Lean Trapping Season...

Posted By: Actor

My Very Lean Trapping Season... - 12/26/20 11:36 PM

As you know, I started off with no place to trap any rats this year, so I settled for coon. Although, I have moved on from that area I have managed to catch 9 coon of various sizes and color. Since I will be tanning every thing I catch this year, size is not a concern. I have also caught 2 mink and 4 muskrats. I am tanning everything. Although, I have been tanning some of my catches the last couple of years, I am still not completely satisfied in the results 100%. So I have now started using a different system, but still trying to perfect it. Below are what I have tanned so far this year.

The 4 rats from this years catch are my favorite color of rat. I call them red rats. Their underside are very fine and silky.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Out of the 9 coon, I have completed the tanning of 4 of them and still have 5 in process. The brown coon at the bottom left is one of the best furred ones. If you will notice though, just down from his tail, left of the middle, there is a light spot. This is a bad spot on the the best fur. It is where there has been a Bot fly larva, I suspect from all indication.and a hole.

[Linked Image]

I did the first of the 2 mink with my old process of tanning. The second one is with the new process.

[Linked Image]

I still have some rats from last year in the freezer so I have started tanning them. I tried this 3 to test out the process.

[Linked Image]

Well, I hope to catch a few more coon as soon as the weather calms down a bit. Whatever I catch, it will be tanned. It really isn't very exciting, but it keeps me out of the bars and away from women. I have decided to leave the women to the younger guys like Leftlane.

Garry-
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: My Very Lean Trapping Season... - 12/26/20 11:38 PM

Very nice.Nice job tanning.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: My Very Lean Trapping Season... - 12/26/20 11:39 PM

Looks like you have been busy, nice job!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: My Very Lean Trapping Season... - 12/26/20 11:43 PM

Very Interesting Actor
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: My Very Lean Trapping Season... - 12/27/20 12:55 AM

Keep at it numbers are just numbers. WTG
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: My Very Lean Trapping Season... - 12/27/20 01:01 AM

Nice job
Posted By: peej

Re: My Very Lean Trapping Season... - 12/27/20 01:11 AM

What tanning method do you use? Im a newbie at tanning. Just tanned a skunk and 3 coyotes. I used vinegar for a pickle bath. Then the deer hunters tanning formula in the orange bottle. They turned out really nice. Im thinking of using citric acid for the next time.
Posted By: Boco

Re: My Very Lean Trapping Season... - 12/27/20 01:16 AM

Nice work Actor.
Tanned pelts sell for a much better price right now if you can establish your own market.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: My Very Lean Trapping Season... - 12/27/20 01:42 AM

Well Done
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: My Very Lean Trapping Season... - 12/27/20 04:08 AM

Very nice!!
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: My Very Lean Trapping Season... - 12/27/20 04:11 AM

Excellent job cool
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: My Very Lean Trapping Season... - 12/27/20 04:22 AM

excellent work
Posted By: Bison88

Re: My Very Lean Trapping Season... - 12/27/20 04:32 AM

Looks like your having fun and that's what is important!
Posted By: Actor

Re: My Very Lean Trapping Season... - 12/27/20 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by peej
What tanning method do you use? Im a newbie at tanning. Just tanned a skunk and 3 coyotes. I used vinegar for a pickle bath. Then the deer hunters tanning formula in the orange bottle. They turned out really nice. Im thinking of using citric acid for the next time.

I will say this much at this time... I am using Citric acid for part of the pickeling bath. I was using the "Orange Bottle", not that it does not work, I just wasn't getting the softness and the end results I wanted. I will let you know more when I am fully convinced that what I want, I can get routinely and know where, why and how, I know the results will be consistent. In other words... If I advise on a system, you do it and it doesn't work, I want to be able to tell you why it isn't working for you. So, I need to perfect the system for me to that point. Hopefully when I get through this week with what I have in the works now, I will have the answers I am looking for.

Please don't think I am trying to be evasive, that is not the point. If give advice, I want it to be something you can count on.

Garry-
© 2024 Trapperman Forums