Home

Drowners.

Posted By: Gone Trappin.

Drowners. - 12/27/20 07:51 PM

For my mink/raccoon pocket sets, is it a good idea to use drowning cable/wire or should I just give myself a long chain and stake out in deep water. I’m targeting mink but I’m probably gonna catch the occasion coon. I’m using #11’s and #1.5,s
Posted By: warrior

Re: Drowners. - 12/27/20 07:54 PM

I don't run drowners for those but considering the smaller size I'd probably go with cable as it can be rolled up and carried in a pocket.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Drowners. - 12/27/20 07:55 PM

I’d stake it well and use a stick in deeper water the drowner set will use up a lot of time, set for a mink anchor for a coon.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Drowners. - 12/28/20 11:28 AM

I use 1/4" dia drowning rods for coon/rats or just a tangle stick
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Drowners. - 12/28/20 11:34 AM

Do it right, do it once and done. #2 chain you can use it for every species for the rest of your life.

Brian
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Drowners. - 12/28/20 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Green Bay
Do it right, do it once and done. #2 chain you can use it for every species for the rest of your life.

Brian

True

Re: Drowners. - 12/28/20 04:57 PM

Chain and tangle sticks.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Drowners. - 12/28/20 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
I’d stake it well and use a stick in deeper water the drowner set will use up a lot of time, set for a mink anchor for a coon.

I liked to use that method even if it took a little more time to set up for two reasons.
One was, almost every time it drowned the animal.
Two, a coon caught without a drowning set will tear up the set making it unusable the next time around.
Posted By: PNW Mountain Man

Re: Drowners. - 12/28/20 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

I would do it this way. 4 or 5 feet of #2 american chain depending on depth a 36" stake staked( 3/4 in the ground) in deep water( 3 feet minimum depth or 1.5 times thr length of the animal ) add a swivel about mid way between the stake and beginning of chain. Stake it where the trap chain is taught so the only way he can go is deep-water. I like a 1.5 or 1.75 trap or even a number 2 depending on animal size.
The NO BS 1.5 will work on the coon even because it's a heavy trap so you won't need to go to a 1.75 or a 2 for weight purposes.

Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: keystone

Re: Drowners. - 12/28/20 08:22 PM

If you can drive up to your sets trapping ditches etc, i like to use 3/8 cold rolled with a loop on the end to drive a t stake through. Put some weld on the rod about a foot from the end to stop the slide. Shove the end in the mud and stake it on the bank. Don’t even have to get in the water.
Posted By: nimzy

Re: Drowners. - 12/29/20 10:30 AM

Yes definitely a slide lock device for extended checks. Without this coon just tangle up on the bank.
Posted By: mfergu8

Re: Drowners. - 12/29/20 11:42 AM

Definitely use downers. I have for a few years, and love them. One thing most of the time coon will be dead,saving time at the set. Also I've not had to dig a new pocket, it keeps coon from tearing up your pocket. I ordered my downers from Gerald Schmitt

Re: Drowners. - 12/29/20 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by mfergu8
Definitely use downers. I have for a few years, and love them. One thing most of the time coon will be dead,saving time at the set. Also I've not had to dig a new pocket, it keeps coon from tearing up your pocket. I ordered my downers from Gerald Schmitt

True about the pockets
© 2024 Trapperman Forums