Home

Fleshing knife

Posted By: nate

Fleshing knife - 12/28/20 01:47 AM

Are they all created equal? Do they all preform equal? What would be a good choice?
Posted By: ABeardedTrapper

Re: Fleshing knife - 12/28/20 01:51 AM

I have a post and a Lee Steimeyer. Both are great fleshers but I really like the one I got from Lee. Don't do like I did and buy a cheap one. Do yourself a favor and buy a quality flesher the first time. Eric
Posted By: Jasper69

Re: Fleshing knife - 12/28/20 01:53 AM

Lee Steinmeyer.
Posted By: nate

Re: Fleshing knife - 12/28/20 01:56 AM

Thanks Eric that was my plan. What about a fleshing board homemade?
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Fleshing knife - 12/28/20 02:02 AM

No they do not but most i think depend on the person using them as you will see from the answers you get i've made a bunch bought a couple my preference is the large one from Lee Steinmeyer i like the size the angle of the handles the way it lays flat on the hide and its pretty enough to hang on the wall with a tanned beaver
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Fleshing knife - 12/28/20 02:13 AM

They arent. Metal qualities are different, edge profiles are different, curve of the blade are different, handles are different, etc.
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Fleshing knife - 12/28/20 02:17 AM

I’m using a necker. Not really anything wrong with it for the little fur I use it on, I’ll be upgrading to one of Lee’s
Posted By: Bigbuck

Re: Fleshing knife - 12/28/20 03:01 AM

I started with a necker 600 but then up graded to a Lee Steinmeyer knife. Lee's knife on the sharp side is super sharp be careful when starting out with it. Don't ask my why? lol
Posted By: LDW

Re: Fleshing knife - 12/28/20 03:03 AM

Lee makes the best knife out there. I own 2 of his, the original one and one of his little ones. I prefer the little one, fits me better. IMO, don't waste your money on a Necker.
Posted By: MT bowhunter

Re: Fleshing knife - 12/28/20 04:01 AM

Another vote for Lee. Quality product!
Posted By: Actor

Re: Fleshing knife - 12/28/20 06:03 AM

Does anyone other than Lee sell his fleshing blades? I see on his site they are closed for trapping season. I use a Necker 600, but have been thinking about another one and would like to see what Lee's Blades look like.

Garry-
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Fleshing knife - 12/28/20 06:45 AM

I guess I have a different opinion than most. I say get something modest and learn and get some experience. You might not enjoy putting up fur at all. A thousand dollar knife won't make anyone an instant expert.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Fleshing knife - 12/28/20 06:45 AM

Here is what I use. No reason to ever change. [Linked Image]
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Fleshing knife - 12/28/20 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler
I guess I have a different opinion than most. I say get something modest and learn and get some experience. You might not enjoy putting up fur at all. A thousand dollar knife won't make anyone an instant expert.

Thats true but you're gonna have to relearn how to flesh going from a bad knife to a good one. Youll get into bad habits with the bad knife that youll have to train yourself back out of when you upgrade. Plus youll save a lot more frustration starting out with something good.
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: Fleshing knife - 12/28/20 02:00 PM

Steel makes a BIG difference. Post for me. That is why I sell them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums