Home

Price gouging on ammo

Posted By: tlguy

Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 03:55 AM

There was just a post on the Trump stimulus thread about some ammo on cheaperthandirt.com, .22 LR going for $100 per box of 100. Here in Wisconsin price gouging is raising the price more than 15%. How does a company like Cheaper Than Dirt get away with this? Is it because they're based in Texas and Texas didn't declare a disaster/emergency or whatever? I knew prices were going up, but never though I'd see $1/round for run of the mill .22 ammo.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:07 AM

They are really charging a $1 a round for CCI mini-mag hp .22...? There must be some awfully desperate people out there...
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:10 AM

Cheaper then dirt was cheap years ago they are anything but now.

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:12 AM

For a better deal you can get 333 rounds of Winchester for $159.89

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:14 AM

I guess they can charge whatever they want if someone is stupid enough to pay it.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:14 AM

That’s not a better deal....it’s a less worse deal.

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:16 AM

If that’s the going price for 22s I be a rich man. LOL
Posted By: bob maier

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:17 AM

They did this a few years ago. Don’t buy anything from them since. That’s the way to stop price gouging.

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by bob maier
They did this a few years ago. Don’t buy anything from them since. That’s the way to stop price gouging.

They had used mags for ARs for over $100
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
If that’s the going price for 22s I be a rich man. LOL

grin
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:25 AM

I bought 100 CCR .22lr mini mag for $14 the other day at North 40 and thought that was too expensive. Sold out that day though.

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by tlguy

[Linked Image]

I'd sell some of these for 158.78 grin
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:26 AM

On another note I did see another local retailer selling Hornady Black 123gr 6.5 grendel for $36 a box when it's normally $21. Sometimes I think the manufacturers/middle men are price gouging and the end retailer just has to relay the cost. Not always the case though.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:28 AM

right now 100-120 for a 1000 round brick of bulk .22 lr. mini mags are worth about double that but that's it.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:29 AM

Guess I should start selling. I could pay for a new pole barn.

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:34 AM

Question is, can this sort of gouging be reported to the Attorney General and will they do anything about it?
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Too bad I'd feel guilty. I could make 10x my initial investment on Ammo right now.

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Guess I should start selling. I could pay for a new pole barn.

grin
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:44 AM

I don't buy anything from cheaper than dirt any more.

they canceled peoples orders then put the same ammo back up fore sale 50% increase in price on the last ammo shortage.

change the price for new orders but if it was the price when you accepted the order honer that , they have no shame.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:54 AM

Has anyone priced it at Walmart or Dunham's lately? I can't believe people would pay anything near those prices....
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:54 AM

9000 rounds of cci standard velocity in 50 rd boxes in 500 rd package can be yours for $9000. PM me and we can work out shipping arrangements.
Also cci mini mag, federal bulk pack and Remington available in various amounts.😃

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by J.Morse
Has anyone priced it at Walmart or Dunham's lately? I can't believe people would pay anything near those prices....

I was at Walmart today would you like 7 1/2 or 8 shot in 12 ga they had 1 box of 8 shot in 20ga

i almost forgot 1 box of 270

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 05:15 AM

Online Dunham's has 325 rounds for $22.99. They have 550 rounds of Thunderbolts for $32.99. I didn't try to order any, so maybe ther're out of stock......or not.

Walmart wouldn't even bring up ammo of any type online.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 05:15 AM

Paying those kinda prices is dumb but hey, feel free to pm me grin

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 05:18 AM

It wasn't all that long ago someone on here listed a link to a mail order place (Cheaper than Dirt?/ Midway?) that was selling a brick for like $15.00. I ordered a few for squirrel season and plinking. Shoulda stocked up and bought a half dozen, or 10-12 bricks!
Posted By: keystone

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 05:24 AM

It would be nice if the ammunition manufacturers would sell to the physical stores first, and then distribute to the online giants after the stores were stocked. It would also be nice if the stores would limit to two boxes per day period. No going in and out of the store 10 times with your limit. It would probably take care of the problem pretty quickly. I’ll bet the stores are hurting by not having ammo in stock, i know if i went in to get a couple boxes theres usually something else i need or would pick up just because i was there.

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 05:25 AM

It wasn't all that long ago, within a year or so, someone on here listed a link to a mail order place (Cheaper than Dirt?/ Midway?) that was selling a brick for $15.00.
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 05:28 AM

Good luck finding anything. Glad i stocked up last time.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

[Linked Image]

I'd sell some of these for 158.78 grin

I just bought two boxes of these for $17.99 at Meijer, three days ago.......
I'll sell them for $100.00 each, shipping included grin
Posted By: Big Possum

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 02:05 PM

Hope it’s not all the new gun owners they are talking about having no idea what they should be able to buy ammo for , so paying these ridiculous prices.

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 02:15 PM

19 bucks at Walmart the other day foe the 333

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 02:26 PM

Federal had those bulk boxes a few years ago cheap 1600 rounds in a box and you could buy 4 boxes on the rebate I bought 2 should of bought 4 of them. frown
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 02:40 PM

Drastic times call for drastic measures.

Still think the way out of this is for an outfit like CCI (or any other maker) to convert their lines to only one or two of their most popular rounds......say .22 high velocity or standard velocity........and then retain all stock for in house sales. Sell 500 round bricks....limit one per order...at full retail price, plus shipping. That will simplify distribution (only one product item to keep track of) and allocate the supply to those that "need" it. Do the same for most of the gauges and calibers they make ammo for. Just the single most popular item they make. As it stands now, CCI is showing as many as 15 to 20 different rounds in just .22 lr alone. Good idea in normal times, but not now.

Then invest the windfall profits from selling at full retail into doubling their production capacity. Basically, getting a new factory for free.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 02:55 PM

Cheaper than dirt pulled that same stunt during the last ammo shortage and with p mags and AR parts then as well. Thats when I quit buying from them. I will not support scumbags like that with my money. Not then, not now and not any time in the future.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 03:17 PM

well i just looked. in spite of what the video guy says they are still price gouging
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 03:50 PM

It wasn't all that long ago, within a year or so, someone on here listed a link to a mail order place (Cheaper than Dirt?/ Midway?) that was selling a brick for $15.00.

bought Remington thunderbolts for 15.00 a brick this spring from natchez shooters supply also rem. golden bullets for a tad more some pistol bullets as well think it was 100 bucks and free shippping They haven't had any ammo on hand for some time now earlier this fall i called and was told to disregard their catalogs cause they're printed ahead of time
Now the same ammo is bidded up to 80 or more on gunbroker per brick
Good Point on the equity Lawdog maybe we should put our ammo up as collateral on property or a new truck
Posted By: MJM

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:00 PM

Question is, can this sort of gouging be reported to the Attorney General and will they do anything about it?

Is your first name Nancy? If you don't like the price troll on.

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by MJM

Is your first name Nancy? If you don't like the price troll on.

grin
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:07 PM

Yep hoarding and gouging they go hand in hand. Some on here contribute to it greatly then mouth about "can't find any" (as if they need it)

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:10 PM

Stockpiling isn't hoarding

I would if I could. Be more prepared

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:11 PM

But you're right I've seen someone say 35,000 rounds is ok, but 50k is hoarding in the same post
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:14 PM

https://savingsangel.com/the-difference-between-stockpiling-and-hoarding/

MMM yea think lot of the ammo grabbers may be hoarders. Definition is stock piling more than you will ever use or need ...
Posted By: MJM

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:28 PM

A couple years ago I bought two 5000 cases of 22 ammo for $129 each shipped. I gave a case to each of my son in laws. You just have to be smart enough to buy it when the price is not at a all time high. If you are buying ammo now, you have more money than I do. Maybe that's why I hoard cheap ammo.

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
A couple years ago I bought two 5000 cases of 22 ammo for $129 each shipped. I gave a case to each of my son in laws. You just have to be smart enough to buy it when the price is not at a all time high. If you are buying ammo now, you have more money than I do. Maybe that's why I hoard cheap ammo.

Stockpile cheap ammo

Better
Posted By: Flipper

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:33 PM

Come on don’t people on here believe in capitalism and minimum govt interference. Only hoarding is driving these prices. Quit buying and the price will go back down

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:35 PM

Sure
Posted By: white17

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:39 PM

The solution for high prices is higher prices. At some level it is too high for anyone to purchase and will drop. Same is true with "hoarding" . People complain about others buying everything in sight. Very high prices discourage hoarding and allow some supply to remain available to those willing to pay the price.

Price "gouging" is a subjective term . It is different for each individual. Any attempt to quantify "gouging" is likewise subjective.

If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:47 PM

Very True...walk on by
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 04:53 PM

I always leave a few bricks lying around the back seat or my kitchen counter for my buddies to drool over.

I know- its a Richard move but someone has to point out that you buy the things you need b4 the - not after
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 05:59 PM

Cheaper then dirt was just sued by the state of Texas and lost for price gouging which is prohibited by Texas law

They now have to repay the buyers who brought the suit to the AG for investigation

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by nightlife

Cheaper then dirt was just sued by the state of Texas and lost for price gouging which is prohibited by Texas law

They now have to repay the buyers who brought the suit to the AG for investigation

The video is on this thread^^^
Posted By: Flipper

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 07:28 PM

[quote=330-Trapper]Stockpiling isn't hoarding
Yes it is quit trying to justify it if you have a several year supply and keep on buying that’s hoarding
Posted By: white17

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 07:39 PM

I think I'd think at least twice before labeling someone a hoarder.

https://iocdf.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Hoarding-Fact-Sheet.pdf

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Flipper
Yes it is quit trying to justify it if you have a several year supply and keep on buying that’s hoarding

When Someone has, and you don't - and Want...that means you are Jealous and didn't think ahead.

You have to be prepared, prepped etc... its a whole thing Now A Days.

Posted By: adam m

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 07:51 PM

Just looked it's not just 22LR but other calibers too

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 07:52 PM

And they have the audacity to call it their "low" price lol

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Flipper

When Someone has, and you don't - and Want...that means you are Jealous and didn't think ahead.

You have to be prepared, prepped etc... its a whole thing Now A Days.

not sure your ever prepared enough , but at some point you can say not at that price I'm not desperate.

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 07:57 PM

Exactly Right G.C.Pete
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 07:59 PM

Pretty soon you guys are going to start complaining about hoarding. Lol

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by white dog
Pretty soon you guys are going to start complaining about hoarding. Lol

I don't know th more rouds in civilian hands the better , if a temporary shortage is what I have to wait out to put a Trillion new rounds in the hands of my countrymen I will wait a bit.

also If I hear your hoarding I might make your wife and offer of what you told her you paid for it when you pass.

all those 10 dollar a brick primers

I guess you could come clean with your lady or turn over in your grave.

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 08:06 PM

grin
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by white17
The solution for high prices is higher prices. At some level it is too high for anyone to purchase and will drop. Same is true with "hoarding" . People complain about others buying everything in sight. Very high prices discourage hoarding and allow some supply to remain available to those willing to pay the price.

Price "gouging" is a subjective term . It is different for each individual. Any attempt to quantify "gouging" is likewise subjective.

If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

As a free market capitalist I don't believe in "gouging". I do think that "gouging" when it comes to necessities during times of emergencies is unethical and who ever does it should be shamed and boycotted.

If anyone with a pulse was caught short on 22 shells during this shortages its their own dang fault. Or anyhing else for that matter, quit whining start paying.

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 09:54 PM

Steven it's not just 22 their doing the gouging on its also 9mm 223 and other rounds. They had a 200 round box of 223 green tip for $350. Cheap wolf 223 is $20 box
Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/28/20 10:06 PM

At the local gun shot .22 is 10 cents a round
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/29/20 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by adam m
Steven it's not just 22 their doing the gouging on its also 9mm 223 and other rounds. They had a 200 round box of 223 green tip for $350. Cheap wolf 223 is $20 box

I don't see the difference, it's simple, don't do business there.

I managed to pick up several hundred 223 green tip the past few weeks. anywhere from .45 to .50 a round. Even managed to get 500 small rifle primers at the same store. CCI BR 4, 7 bucks a hundred,.

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/29/20 01:13 AM

Good for You Steven!
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/29/20 02:08 AM

Some or many of you need to understand the difference between gouging and supply/demand. You don’t need ammo, if you choose not to pay the price you’ll be fine. I’m sure you can find something else to go online and whine about.

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/29/20 02:12 AM

That's awesome Steven

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/29/20 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by M.Magis
Some or many of you need to understand the difference between gouging and supply/demand. You don’t need ammo, if you choose not to pay the price you’ll be fine. I’m sure you can find something else to go online and whine about.

grin

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/29/20 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by M.Magis

grin

Bet the room clears when some people show up. LOL
Posted By: ou812

Re: Price gouging on ammo - 12/29/20 02:44 AM

ammoseek.com............pretty good website for finding ammo.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums