Home

Hog hunting area in Florida???

Posted By: scalloper

Hog hunting area in Florida??? - 12/28/20 11:52 PM

My son drove to Florida from Maine to hang out with a Army friend he was in Afghanistan with. They planed on hunting the Apalachicola National Forest for hogs and coyote. But he said its loaded with people hunting with dogs cant seem to get clear of people. Knowing what I know about hogs if there is alot of pressure they can be very difficult to successfully hunt.
Can any of you recommend a area where he and one other could hunt? Public or privet? He dont need shelter he has that covered. His buddy lives in the Destin area but they are willing to travel.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Hog hunting area in Florida??? - 12/29/20 12:36 AM

I mainly hunted central FL when i worked down there. GREEN SWAMP WMA near Lakeland. It was loaded with hogs. Contact FL game commission site. A map of all the WMA's is there & there are many. Some allow dogs, some don't. The best hunting is near the waterways or cyprus heads. The hogs like to lay in the palmetto patches around the wet areas. Look for rooted up areas & wallows. I used to stand hunt around fresh sign first hour of daylight & then still hunt rest of day. You can often hear them before ya see them. Not sure where Destin is but if they decide to hunt GREEN SWAMP private message me & i can give ya my old hunting spots.

Re: Hog hunting area in Florida??? - 12/29/20 02:30 AM

Great, I just sent him the info. I will see how far away they are.
Thanks again.

Re: Hog hunting area in Florida??? - 12/29/20 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by patrapperbuster
I mainly hunted central FL when i worked down there. GREEN SWAMP WMA near Lakeland. It was loaded with hogs. Contact FL game commission site. A map of all the WMA's is there & there are many. Some allow dogs, some don't. The best hunting is near the waterways or cyprus heads. The hogs like to lay in the palmetto patches around the wet areas. Look for rooted up areas & wallows. I used to stand hunt around fresh sign first hour of daylight & then still hunt rest of day. You can often hear them before ya see them. Not sure where Destin is but if they decide to hunt GREEN SWAMP private message me & i can give ya my old hunting spots.

6hr 40 min away from him. Destin is west on the panhandle.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Hog hunting area in Florida??? - 12/29/20 08:37 PM

6-7 hours is far to drive but they do have 2 camping areas at each end you can camp at to stay. Offer stands if ya ever want exact hunting spots. smile
Posted By: Hanger

Re: Hog hunting area in Florida??? - 12/29/20 09:07 PM

6 hrs is a haul. Like said above check FWC, most farmers or cattle ranchers don’t want anyone on the property (liability) but want every pig gone. Either pay for a hunt or walk the extra couple miles to get away from the other hunters.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Hog hunting area in Florida??? - 12/29/20 09:49 PM

Lots of hogs all along FL Gulf Coast. Check areas from Econfina to Steinhatchee to Suwannee. Lots of public ground along there. Check if areas are open for hog hunting.

Start here:
https://www.mysuwanneeriver.com/65/Hunting
Posted By: Artrapper16

Re: Hog hunting area in Florida??? - 12/30/20 11:25 AM

I was born down there hogs are everywhere look up dinner island I'm not sure how far it will be for them but it's a good hunting spot and it has alot of hogs.

Re: Hog hunting area in Florida??? - 12/31/20 11:42 PM

Thanks all I passed on this info.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums