Home

Rabies series

Posted By: Fatheroftwo

Rabies series - 12/29/20 10:03 PM

Looking for insight on the rabies series. Was bit by raccoon, animal control tested it and said the rabies test was inconclusive. They want me to get rabies shots. I’m not afraid of the vaccine or shots or anything like that but the cost is scary to me. They’ve told me 10k before insurance (I have insurance but even with insurance I’m looki g at a few thousand dollars). Coon looked healthy and bit me through my arctic pro muck boots then through my sock and just punctured the skin. Didn’t think he actually got me at first, thought he pinched me but when I got home and took my sock off he did actually get through and bite me.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Rabies series - 12/29/20 10:06 PM

Serious chance you'll be taking if you dont get shots. You only have a few hours to decide.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Rabies series - 12/29/20 10:07 PM

If the authorities said to get the vaccine-get it.
Rabies is fatal-in that context 10g is inconsequential.
Posted By: BandB

Re: Rabies series - 12/29/20 10:22 PM

Rabies is 99.9999% fatal once symptoms show. I think there were 2 documented cases of recovery when I checked into it a few years ago due to a possible exposure. Get the shots.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Rabies series - 12/29/20 10:25 PM

Don't play with rabies, get the shot.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Rabies series - 12/29/20 10:32 PM

This is why every trapper needs to seriously consider getting the shot's pre exposure. Most health insurances cover the pre exposure shots 100% ( I didn't even have to pay for the doc visit). So pre exposure shots are "most often" covered by insurance because they are viewed as a "vaccine". Post exposure shots are NOT and you're usually on the hook for the entire amount BECAUSE a "vaccine" is available. Clear as mud?

Now, get bit after your "vaccination" shot and they may suggest you get a booster but generally covered.

These rabies posts show up here a few times a year it seems. I encourage all here who handle wildlife regularly to check into the rabies vaccine.

That said you may have to contact your insurance provider to have them look up a location where the vaccine is available. Not everyone carries it, or even knows its available. The CDC has literature on it if anyone cares.
Posted By: Pest's Dad

Re: Rabies series - 12/29/20 10:40 PM

Fatheroftwo; Thread below. Some "nonsense" talked, apparently.

Your experience makes it interesting.

Rabies.

Re: Rabies series - 12/29/20 10:55 PM

I know the right thing to do is get it done but I really don’t want to. I guess I’ll be going after work to get it rolling. I was going to get the preexposure vaccine but just let it go and put it off. Life’s full of lessons and some are easier/cheaper than others. Ending 2020 with a bang I suppose.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Rabies series - 12/29/20 11:18 PM

Wow! Has the cost of those shots gone up. I had to have them years ago and the cost was no where near that.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Rabies series - 12/29/20 11:20 PM

I've had them.
I need a booster
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Rabies series - 12/29/20 11:33 PM

Makes on wonder what the cost of those post exposure shots are in Canada or Mexico..

In India, those shots are less than $12.00 !!

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 12:44 AM

I bet I could fly to to India for cheaper than 10k
Posted By: MJM

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Calvin
This is why every trapper needs to seriously consider getting the shot's pre exposure. Most health insurances cover the pre exposure shots 100% ( I didn't even have to pay for the doc visit). So pre exposure shots are "most often" covered by insurance because they are viewed as a "vaccine". Post exposure shots are NOT and you're usually on the hook for the entire amount BECAUSE a "vaccine" is available. Clear as mud?

Now, get bit after your "vaccination" shot and they may suggest you get a booster but generally covered.

These rabies posts show up here a few times a year it seems. I encourage all here who handle wildlife regularly to check into the rabies vaccine.

That said you may have to contact your insurance provider to have them look up a location where the vaccine is available. Not everyone carries it, or even knows its available. The CDC has literature on it if anyone cares.

That is not 100% according to the health department, Here is what they say. "If you have been vaccinated previously with one of the currently licensed vaccines, you will still need two booster doses of rabies vaccine. The first dose should be given as soon as possible and the second dose three days later. Rabies immunoglobulin should NOT be given."
I would guess if you are not getting blood work done to check your titer's level you are over due. Here is what the MN health department says about booster shots. "Antibody titers and booster vaccination
Every 6 months in persons in the continuous-risk category. Every 2 years for persons in the frequent-risk category."

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Canvasback2
Makes on wonder what the cost of those post exposure shots are in Canada or Mexico..

Post exposure cost you nothing here in Ontario-covered.All necessary healthcare is covered here.
If you want the pre - exposure you will pay out of pocket unless you have private insurance.

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Originally Posted by Canvasback2

Post exposure cost you nothing here in Ontario-covered.All necessary healthcare is covered here.
If you want the pre - exposure you will pay out of pocket unless you have private insurance.

There ya go! Run to Canada for your post exposure shots!

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 01:12 AM

Now is Dental covered over there ?/

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 01:14 AM

Dental is not universal-if you are an old age pensioner (65+) on fixed income you're covered.
The NDP federally had universal dental care as part of their platform on the last election.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
Don't play with rabies, get the shot.

When I first got them insurance covered all but $300. The first shot is most of the cost. The Immunoglobulin shot is very expensive. I convinced my doc to skip it and just get the series of 3 because of the time of year and he consider my experience with animals and knowledge of them. That is Westren Kansas and a doc that knows the community. I would do what they say or you might wake up dead. Not something to mess around with.?
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 01:18 AM

Get the shots, you do not want your children to say "Where's Dad!"

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 02:00 AM

Well that was minimal pain. Got three shots and I’m out of there. Now the pain comes when I get the bill.

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Fatheroftwo
Well that was minimal pain. Got three shots and I’m out of there. Now the pain comes when I get the bill.

Good deal

I did and was glad of it... did they put the one shot into the bite area. They did me
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Fatheroftwo

For whatever its worth, I think you did the right thing.
Posted By: yellowdog

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 02:12 AM

In 96 i got the rabies vaccine . was told to get titer test every 3 years to see if i needed a booster. 3 years didn't need booster, 4 years didn't need booster. etc. etc. etc. etc. at 15 years i said don't bother testing any more. i am not getting any more vaccines. still a little unnerving what the potency of the first shots were.
Posted By: Albert Burns

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 02:27 AM

I've had pre-exposure once, and post exposure series twice due to my occupation. I would seriously check with the local health dept. after finding out how much of the cost your insurance will pay. In our county, all post exposure cost's are covered, with no out of pocket expenses for the person needing them. They do run in the 12K neighborhood, and if your insurance does not pay the full cost, the county is billed for the remainder. Rabies exposure is too real of a threat to let monetary hardship be the deciding factor if you get them or not. Your county may be different, but I would check. Also check if the county has a reduced fee for the pre-exposure series, here they did mine for just the actual cost of the vaccine.

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Albert Burns
I've had pre-exposure once, and post exposure series twice due to my occupation. I would seriously check with the local health dept. after finding out how much of the cost your insurance will pay. In our county, all post exposure cost's are covered, with no out of pocket expenses for the person needing them. They do run in the 12K neighborhood, and if your insurance does not pay the full cost, the county is billed for the remainder. Rabies exposure is too real of a threat to let monetary hardship be the deciding factor if you get them or not. Your county may be different, but I would check. Also check if the county has a reduced fee for the pre-exposure series, here they did mine for just the actual cost of the vaccine.

Thats Awesome
Posted By: BandB

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 02:37 AM

When I got my post exposure shots, there was more than 3. Seems like there was 4 or 5 in the 1st round (I believe 1 was a tetanus shot), then I think 3 more, 1 each time, at 7(?) day intervals.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by MJM
Originally Posted by Calvin

That is not 100% according to the health department, Here is what they say. "If you have been vaccinated previously with one of the currently licensed vaccines, you will still need two booster doses of rabies vaccine. The first dose should be given as soon as possible and the second dose three days later. Rabies immunoglobulin should NOT be given."
I would guess if you are not getting blood work done to check your titer's level you are over due. Here is what the MN health department says about booster shots. "Antibody titers and booster vaccination
Every 6 months in persons in the continuous-risk category. Every 2 years for persons in the frequent-risk category."

Yes, as stated above, you may need booster post exposure (and post vaccination) but generally that's covered as you've already had the vaccination (Insurance protocol). Not covered if you haven't had the vaccination (for most of us). Simply the vaccination saves you a ton of cash if you ever get an exposure.

Yes, titer levels should be checked frequently. My doc said every 5 years. Could there be differences of opinions in the medical field? Sure. I know guys who've gone 30 years and titer levels are still well above the threshold. I just toss that test in with the routine physical once in awhile and it gets covered. In the end, it just makes financial sense to get the vaccination for those of us dealing with critters.
Posted By: Trapper5123

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 03:50 AM

The bill is not that important compared to the consequences. Ive had the original series thanks to a bat in my house and a bit too much 90 proof. The next time around it's only two shots which ain't to bad. Never bunji cord a dead animal in the back rack of your ATV. Occasionally they will bite you.

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 03:55 AM

I thought they were going to give one at the bite but it was one in each thigh and one in my arm.
Posted By: Trapper5123

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 04:12 PM

For my post exposure they probed and poked a needle all in the bite.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 05:22 PM

I needed a booster after three and a half years when my titer level was check. Can the medical field have a difference in opinion? Yes, we had a pony die of possible rabies. Vet told my wife to get rabies shots due to stuffing meds in its mouth. She went in and the Doctor told here horses and ponies can't get rabies. So yes there can be a difference in opinion.
Posted By: Pest's Dad

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
Vet told my wife to get rabies shots due to stuffing meds in its mouth. She went in and the Doctor told here horses and ponies can't get rabies.

Wow! MJM; Have you googled that??? Give that Vet' a cigar! shocked
Posted By: Cgritter

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by BandB
When I got my post exposure shots, there was more than 3. Seems like there was 4 or 5 in the 1st round (I believe 1 was a tetanus shot), then I think 3 more, 1 each time, at 7(?) day intervals.

Yes should be 3 more shots ti complete the post exposure series
I had it done last year, 3 shots to start then 3 more to follow
Posted By: jk

Re: Rabies series - 12/30/20 06:22 PM

Glad this post came up. Rabies is serious and getting more common every year it seems. Lets all be careful out there.......jk

Re: Rabies series - 01/02/21 04:43 PM

I'm going to schedule an update booster as soon as they can get me in.
My titer came back marginal
© 2024 Trapperman Forums