Home

Wood burning inserts

Posted By: ausy94

Wood burning inserts - 12/31/20 03:10 AM

Question for folks wiser than I. I got a used wood burning instert to put jn my masonary fireplace. Will the smoke just go right up the chimney as it would if i had built a plan on fire in the thing? I was told yes now im reading no. The insert has a dampener on it the chimneys wide open as the dampener broke on it. Was also told to put fiberglass insulation around it but also not sure if thats the wisest. Thanks everyone.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Wood burning inserts - 12/31/20 04:56 AM

In CA I let it go up the old chimney but I sealed off the space around the opening tight to the insert with steel plate. Here everybody runs a pipe from the stove up the chimney.

Pete
Posted By: swamp

Re: Wood burning inserts - 12/31/20 11:58 AM

Everything I've read says to use a chimney liner when installing an insert. Installing an insert without a liner can result in chimney fire. I think any chimney sweep would tell you the same. Hope this helps !
Posted By: red webb

Re: Wood burning inserts - 12/31/20 12:22 PM

I put a liner in 2yrs ago best thing I done. 12 inch flue, liner is 8 burn less wood now. Only heat with wood have a Buck insert in fire place.
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Wood burning inserts - 12/31/20 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by swamp
Everything I've read says to use a chimney liner when installing an insert. Installing an insert without a liner can result in chimney fire. I think any chimney sweep would tell you the same. Hope this helps !

^ THIS!
A stainless flex pipe up the chimney, or the creosote will flake at the top, then fall down on the insert and result in a fire sometime in the future.
RR
Posted By: wvboy10

Re: Wood burning inserts - 12/31/20 01:26 PM

Definitely go with a liner. Ran one without a liner for a bit and eventually had a fire. Thankfully the fire dept got there quick. Smoke cools and creosote builds up in the chimney much easier than with a liner.
Posted By: Big Possum

Re: Wood burning inserts - 12/31/20 02:15 PM

Mine has a liner they put in when it was installed. Has worked great
Posted By: EdP

Re: Wood burning inserts - 12/31/20 03:59 PM

My insert had a chimney liner. I took the insert out in favor of a free standing stove on the hearth, still using the liner. That made it a lot easier to clean the flue and the stove heats without needing a fan.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums