Home

Nice arrowhead find

Posted By: Flipper 56

Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 12:31 AM

My cousin found this in Southern Indiana today, has a spot of quartz in the stone and he put a light behind it. Thought it was cool.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 12:34 AM

Nice find
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 12:36 AM

Bi-face not an arrowhead based on the size.
used for cutting up stuff
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 12:37 AM

Sweet! The old pot licker, Matt Jones, used to find a lot of points in the Kentucky area.

Chris
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 12:43 AM

Indiana and the Wabash river bottoms have lots of points and some decent sang hunting. Spent many hours and parts of my day looking when I trapped there.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper
Sweet! The old pot licker, Matt Jones, used to find a lot of points in the Kentucky area.

Chris

The neatest think I ever saw Matt post, that he found, was the stack of cannon balls from the Civil War, on the bluff overlooking the Ohio River.

The quartz window makes that artifact pretty unique.

Keith

Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 01:35 AM

Great find
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 01:39 AM

Beautiful
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 01:41 AM

While I'm setting, resetting, death raying, ketchall-ing, or whatever, Donna is always looking in the dirt.
Her best finds so far this week.

[Linked Image]

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 01:42 AM

Very nice.

Originally Posted by Mark June
While I'm setting, resetting, death raying, ketchall-ing, or whatever, Donna is always looking in the dirt.
Her best finds so far this week.

[Linked Image]

In one week: Amazing!

Chris
Posted By: maintenanceguy

My grandfather had a cigar box full to the top of arrowheads. He farmed with a team of horses and would walk behind the horses all day looking down at the ground.

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 01:45 AM

Donna has an eye for them. I did find the one on the left in a coyote catch circle. We've found 100's over the past decade. Some day we're going to sit down and sort them out. It's our retirement project, but we're not retired yet, so they wait. We gave one good projectile to all the older grandchildren as keep sakes.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Northof50
Bi-face not an arrowhead based on the size.
used for cutting up stuff

That or maybe a spearhead? I know a bunch of ranchers in the west who’s families have been finding artifacts for many many decades and the one thing I notice most is how small the arrowheads are. They are a rock on a stick. Weight would have played a big factor and besides once wounded what did an Indian have better to do than follow the animal until it dropped?

Osky

Beautiful find I would add.

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 01:59 AM

What we like finding more than projectiles is well used tools. This scraper is awesome! I found it near my first coyote today, laying half submersed in the dirt. It is a scraper and is well oiled by human use. A lot of human use. Notches chipped perfectly to fit a right handed native. My tool collection is my pride and joy. Axes. Spoons. Gravers. Awls. And more.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 02:06 AM

Very nice!

Chris
Posted By: g smith

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 03:03 AM

Osky nailed it ! The ones we have seen in buffalo jump are very small and thin .
Posted By: waggler

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 03:24 AM

I've posted this picture before, but as long as we are talking about stone tools and such.
I found this in SW Alaska, an "expert" told me it is for splitting cedar logs, but there are no cedar logs let-alone trees for a long ways.
I think it is an ice spud?? Any ideas?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This is what the country looks like where I found it.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 04:27 AM

[Linked Image]
Just got to look in the right place.

This is 2 short afternoons walking food plots on bluffs along a large Ga river.
Posted By: nate

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 05:11 AM

Waggler
That is way cool.would be very interesting to know what it was made and used for.Thanks for posting.

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 05:21 AM

Pics are great guys. I walk around the farm every day with my eyes on the ground but have only found 4 in 30 years. I find lots of lead but rarely find artifacts
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 06:14 AM

[Linked Image]

I find some pretty small points out my way. These are Kalapuya points from the southern Willamette valley. Mostly found in in plowed fields near old stream beds.
Posted By: WhiteTrash 88

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 08:27 AM

Any time you can find a worked piece is a good day. Spent many a day hunting artifacts and have been lucky enough to find a few in probably 100's of miles walked. Worked fields and crickes mostly. Have traded for a few points over the years but want certification on piece if l didn't find it. Here's some pictures of some of my stuff. Keep the really good stuff in a bank lock box. People are amazed at what the market price is on some of this stuff. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
And some more

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 09:28 AM

Great finds and collects WT. We don't get too many spear points here because the cherts to the north of us and the gravel base here in the south of Texas aren't big enough. They would have had to trade for them. Most are the triangle projectiles from the paleo or archaic eras. The dating is not as concrete because of the lack of archeological digs over the course of the last 100 years, and the lack of a solid base of data of which to make conclusions.

I've been a student of history and native lithic (stone) work most of my life. Donna caught the fever when she met me. We often wonder, what we will do with these pieces hundreds and thousands of years old, when we get really long in the tooth?

My Mrs. loves looking for sheds and native lithic workings. It's fun to hear her yell, "I got a really nice one!" as I'm putting in a set.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
[Linked Image]

I find some pretty small points out my way. These are Kalapuya points from the southern Willamette valley. Mostly found in in plowed fields near old stream beds.

That is amazing! I've never seen any like that.

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
[Linked Image]

That is amazing! I've never seen any like that.

Hard to believe those tiny points were not broken over the years, very cool.
Posted By: hogwild

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 03:59 PM

[Linked Image]

A Christmas gift I received a couple of weeks ago from my Dad. He's 84 and found these many years ago
Posted By: Osky

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 04:16 PM

Pretty special gift there Hog...

Osky

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 05:05 PM

Whitetrash what is the one in the first pic bottom middle with the U/horseshoe imprint
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 06:19 PM

ive got a few,,,,,,,,but ive been at it for a very, very long time

[Linked Image]

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
Whitetrash what is the one in the first pic bottom middle with the U/horseshoe imprint

I believe it's what they call a tongue pipe, but I ain't no expert at positive identification. I do know there are some Dalton, Schneider, Adena, Graham Cave, Scott's Bluff,and Sedaila points in there. Have several that I've found right around my house that two experts can't ID as to which tribe they can be attributed to.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 07:18 PM

That is just amazing to me. Seems as all the natives did was sit around and knap stone. You don't find that stuff in the northeast.

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteTrash 88

I believe it's what they call a tongue pipe, but I ain't no expert at positive identification. I do know there are some Dalton, Schneider, Adena, Graham Cave, Scott's Bluff,and Sedaila points in there. Have several that I've found right around my house that two experts can't ID as to which tribe they can be attributed to.

Amazing...

I'd like to find 1

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 07:39 PM

It's all good stuff but so much of it you find is broken up anymore due to farming. Still have the upmost respect for the original Americans, that they could make, and survive using rocks and sticks. I have a notion (probably wrong) that some of these indigenous peoples used blow guns to hunt with also. Some points I've found and such as what beaverpeeler posted, are so small and finely made, how would they have strapped them to a common arrow length stick and make them fly right. Common name I've heard applied to them is bird points.

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 07:57 PM

All nice finds.

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jacob Whitley

Was matt a member of the forum and is he still a member or still post.I have found a few points mostly in are yard in are garden now are garden is a cow pen last one I found was on a creek bank a couple years ago my dad found a neckles piece perfectly flat on one side with two quarts eyes in it but one is missing it was a face of something . my mom's uncle has a tomahawk head or mallet he found when he was a kid. nothing civil related other then a couple of old family grave yards of four a mile or so apart both of them related that all died in 1863 or 1865 pretty sure 1863. keep posting pics love seeing the old artifacts post the civil war stuff to.

Matt was a once active member. He hasn't been on since 8/1/2019.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/users/21543

Matt had a lot of very interesting, very good posts. Most of his posts have unfortunately been pruned off now.

Keith

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jacob Whitley
Thanks would have liked to seen the picture of the cannon balls

Matt found the cannon balks stacked next to some limestone fortifications. There were lots small cannon balls.

Keith
Posted By: ETexTrapper

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 08:12 PM

[Linked Image]
Only ones I've ever found. Very nice collections fellas.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 08:16 PM

This is interesting this threat came up, I’m hunting near
Orwell Ohio right now. Hunting for deer has been terrible
But on the bright side Walking through a plowed field I found
For the first time 2 arrowheads. Is this normal down here or did
I just get lucky

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 08:48 PM

You guys have some amazing collections, I found a broken axe head when I was a kid and I have found lots of pieces but never any perfect points. My cousin who farms near me has found lots of them over the years and looks for them all the time.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 09:34 PM

I had a university archeologist tell me that a lot of what we like to call bird points were misnomers. The smaller the diameter of the point the easier it pierced a deer or elk hide. Then the foreshaft would break off and the animals running would cause the point to shred lungs and vital organs as it see-sawed.

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by ETexTrapper
[Linked Image]

Super Nice though

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by ETexTrapper
[Linked Image]

Dang you find a trophy when you do find one.That would be like a booner arrowhead.
Posted By: redsnow

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 10:34 PM

Yep, you guys have some very nice arrow heads, and all. Years ago there was a local man that owned a sporting goods store, he had a hundreds. Coin collection too. He was big into metal detecting. Civil War stuff too.

Years before he died he sold all of it, he knew that his daughter didn't have a clue what it was worth, so he left her the money. My goodness, that's been 30 years ago.

Bought my first metal detector off of him.
Posted By: ETexTrapper

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 10:48 PM

Thanks fellas. Found them both when I was trapping in our deer lease. When I actually hunt for them, nothing.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 11:04 PM

I had a university archeologist tell me that a lot of what we like to call bird points were misnomers. The smaller the diameter of the point the easier it pierced a deer or elk hide. Then the foreshaft would break off and the animals running would cause the point to shred lungs and vital organs as it see-sawed.

each culture is measure in the way they formed new projectile points
from the thrusting spears
to the side notching
to atlatl throwing spears
and down to the smaller sizes
then about 3000 bp they found and smelted copper out of the Great Lakes region and a whole new technology started replaced by;
even the copper pots got cut up from the trade with Europeans.

wait till you see some of the Small tools of the Artic inhabitants, we are talking micro fleshing tools, smaller than a thumb nail.

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 11:21 PM

Here's a couple l keep put up in the chicken coop. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
grin

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 11:31 PM

Very nice.
Posted By: rvsask

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/03/21 11:57 PM

Great thread. Awesome finds.
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/04/21 12:01 AM

That Dalton drill is awesome !!!
Posted By: waggler

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/04/21 12:16 AM

I've often thought that when Indians found old arrowheads they must have recycled them. I wonder how many have been lost a time or two.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/04/21 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
I've posted this picture before, but as long as we are talking about stone tools and such.
I found this in SW Alaska, an "expert" told me it is for splitting cedar logs, but there are no cedar logs let-alone trees for a long ways.
I think it is an ice spud?? Any ideas?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This is what the country looks like where I found it.
[Linked Image]

Dang! Them natives sure was hard on them cedar trees. Didn't leave a single one for seed. smile
Posted By: hogwild

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/04/21 01:03 AM

A lot of really neat stuff posted in this thread. Great finds everyone!

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/04/21 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteTrash 88

Thanks
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Nice arrowhead find - 01/04/21 08:16 AM

Here is some of my pig castrator collection. I really need to dust. lol

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums