Home

Insulated hip boots

Posted By: 3togo

Insulated hip boots - 01/04/21 01:27 PM

Yes, I've searched the forums for answers. Lacrosse are good, Lacrosse are bad. Dans are good, Dans are bad. I've looked at Amazon reviews also. Lots of bad reviews for almost all brands. I do have a pair of knee high OLD Lacrosse Burly's that lasted 15 years but that probably isn't going to happen with any boot any more. So let's here opinions again. These will be for muskrat-mink trapping in drainage ditches in winter so must be insulated.
Thanks for the replies ahead of time.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/04/21 01:31 PM

I bought lacrosse trapline waders 2 years ago. First pair leaked right out of the box. Sent those back for warranty. New pair seems better so far, been using them this year. They do keep you warm. Almost too warm if the temp is over 25 and you have to do any walking out of the water.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/04/21 02:04 PM

Always liked the lacrosse. Just not a fan of insulation though. Insulation is more for situations where you're not moving for long periods of time. As someone that stays cold, insulated waders burn me up if I'm moving. I'm wearing dan's chest waders now.
Posted By: Drakej

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/04/21 02:33 PM

None of them I have found have soles(especially heels) that wear like they used to.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/04/21 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
I bought lacrosse trapline waders 2 years ago. First pair leaked right out of the box. Sent those back for warranty. New pair seems better so far, been using them this year. They do keep you warm. Almost too warm if the temp is over 25 and you have to do any walking out of the water.

My LaCrosse waders are seeping in already ...New last summer

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/04/21 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

My LaCrosse waders are seeping in already ...New last summer

When these start leaking I am going to look into other options.

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/04/21 02:57 PM

Its either Cheap and replace yearly...or every couple years

Or Spend a fortune and even those leak
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/04/21 03:17 PM

I just get the cheap Pro lines from Duke. ($60 for the insulated version). The good thing is they are heavy enough where they are durable. The bad thing is they are heavy (rubber).
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/04/21 03:34 PM

I'm like Calvin.. I don't get a lot of mileage out of any brand. So why buy the expensive ones?
Duke is selling Frogg Toggs now.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/04/21 03:37 PM

I've had good luck with the Lacrosse hip boots with 600 grams of thinsulate. AK waters are always cold. Used mostly for fishing. I'll buy them again.
Posted By: trapperpaul

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/06/21 03:54 AM

I bought a pair of dans hip boots a few weeks ago. so far no leaks or punctures and i have been through some briars while trapping rats and beavers. cant seam to keep them up all the way even with adjusting the belt strap, have to keep pulling them up, might have to figure out a suspender type set up. i got tired of the cheap ones leaking immediately, I could have just worn sneakers and would have been just as "dry" as wearing the cheap hip boots
Posted By: Ole

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/06/21 08:36 PM

Lacrosse trapline hippers. Many years of use and still ticking,
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/06/21 10:39 PM

My Lacrosse big burly's just died this year bought them in 2008 for a moose hunt wore the studs down flat I'll defiantly be buying another pair. Have a set of swamp tuff waders and they've been great only 2 years on them so far.
Posted By: proratman

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/06/21 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by white dog
I've had good luck with the Lacrosse hip boots with 600 grams of thinsulate. AK waters are always cold. Used mostly for fishing. I'll buy them again.

X2 Big Chief

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/07/21 01:03 PM

Thanks for the replies. I haven't decided yet. I see on You Tube 330Maniac is wearing Hodgeman neoprene waders. I don't need waders but will keep checking on other sources suggested for hip boots.
25 years ago I was in Cabelas in Nebraska looking at insulated leather boots. I asked the sales guy where they were made. China. But he did add that if Cabelas kept some employees there to monitor the processing the quality stayed pretty good. Maybe that's the problem with Lacrosse now, not enough oversight on the manufacturing process.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/07/21 01:35 PM

I think the most durable hip boots I've owned were Ranger's but that was a long time ago. Two pair of the Cabela's Guide Series didn't hold up and I see they've discontinued them.

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/07/21 01:48 PM

Cabelas BP
Discontinued way too much stuff
Posted By: coop

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/07/21 01:56 PM

LaCrosse... founded in 1897... they've been doing something right IMO.

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/07/21 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by coop
LaCrosse... founded in 1897... they've been doing something right IMO.

Not lately. Since they moved manufacturing to China, it is very hit or miss.
Posted By: coop

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/07/21 02:08 PM

Wasn't aware... just another company gone that route I guess.

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/07/21 02:13 PM

How about some recommendations on how to get a patch to stay put on a hip boot. I've had no luck.
Posted By: Muddyrat

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/07/21 02:18 PM

I like lacrosse non insulated.I walk miles in the marsh and my first pair lasted six years. I now own the trapline from them hope they hold up .

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/07/21 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Muddyrat
I like lacrosse non insulated.I walk miles in the marsh and my first pair lasted six years. I now own the trapline from them hope they hold up .

Ankle fit? I don't know how anyone gets around in those marsh boots. A blister in the making.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/07/21 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Posco
Originally Posted by Muddyrat

Ankle fit? I don't know how anyone gets around in those marsh boots. A blister in the making.

I have blistering/chaffing problems with many rubber boot types. Lacrosse Trapline have not done my feet that way and I am on my third pair in 20 years. Next pair of hippers will be the Big Chief.
How about some recommendations on how to get a patch to stay put on a hip boot. I've had no luck.

Have you tried 3M 5200 on the leak?
Posted By: Muddyrat

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/07/21 03:39 PM

Yes the marsh ones have had no issues with blisters or chafe . They were a pain getting on and off . So bought the traplines. Not sure about them yet as my heal like to slide up and down while walking in them . Will see in about a month when I start rat trapping

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/07/21 03:41 PM

For you guys that have used Dan's hip boots. Any idea of how they seal the boot of choice to the top fabric section to make leak free? Are they really waterproof if you need to be knee deep or deeper. I know that's the claim.

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/07/21 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by 3togo
For you guys that have used Dan's hip boots. Any idea of how they seal the boot of choice to the top fabric section to make leak free? Are they really waterproof if you need to be knee deep or deeper. I know that's the claim.

I'd love to hear this question answered. I have asked several times on here and never got a response.

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/07/21 11:05 PM

Anybody?

Anybody?

Bueller?

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/08/21 01:34 AM

k snow,
I searched other forums and haven't seen anyone complain about the legging-boot seam. Some people had boot leaks with brand new Lacrosse Burly's. I'm thinking maybe the Quatro offering or Dans' frog boots attached will be a better option. The Quatro is made by Skellerup company. Many good reviews on various forums. Supposedly tough and water proof, made from good rubber.

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/08/21 01:42 AM

Thanks, mad_mike. I'll check it out.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/08/21 01:50 AM

I take better care of hip boots that I pay a couple of hundred bucks for. They dont get folded and thrown in the back of the truck and they get hung up properly in a cool dark closet for long term storage.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/08/21 02:33 AM

I have some Rogers toughman 4mm neoprene hip waders that I really like. Doesnt look like they're available anymore. They're just the right size on me that they stay up without being clipped to my belt. Nice and warm too.
Posted By: 4 Fur

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/08/21 02:58 AM

I just take mine to the local Mom and Pop tire shop. They charge me a buck for a small patch and 2 for a big one.
Posted By: trapperpaul

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/08/21 03:22 AM

I have a pair of dans,,, as far as i can tell they stitch them and put a heavy coating of sealant on the waterproof liner to the boot seam. The briar proof chap is attached to the waterproof liner at the top. Basically your boot is attached to a thin light water proof liner and a briarproof chap is attached to the liner to protect it. only had them a few weeks but have been through some nasty briars checking traps and no leaks yet
Posted By: 4 Fur

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/08/21 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by 3togo

I'd love to hear this question answered. I have asked several times on here and never got a response.

I'm on my second pair of Dan's hips. Frogger 16" neoprene style #743 boot and the add on chap is model #685. They are rated -20 to 70*. Incredibly comfortable boot. If you get a hole in the uppers you are going to the ER because you'll have a hole in your leg. No leaks unless you snag the rubber boot on something. They do take in some water on the inside seams but I just lift the tops up to get the slack out and they're completely drained by the time I get back to the truck. Water does NOT get inside the boot unless you go in over the top. The tread wears out on mine before they need to be replaced but I wear mine on concrete and frozen ground too much. I got ~400 wears out of the first pair and nearly 300 so far on the 2nd. I bought a new pair of my old favorite Lacrosse Big Chiefs when I bought my first Dan's and they are still in the box (and no I don't want to sell them).

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/08/21 12:37 PM

Thanks for the answers guys. Most people that post reviews on line just leave an opinion, not a review. 4 Fur that was good.

Re: Insulated hip boots - 01/08/21 12:57 PM

Thank you for the reviews guys. It was never clear to me if the chaps were waterproof or highly water resistant. Walking in streams and creeks in 15 degree weather, I don't want wet legs.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums