Home

Will coyotes kill trapped coon

Posted By: blankenship

Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/05/21 09:41 PM

I've had 3 coon catches this week and all that was left was leg ate off 2inches above trap area smells like yotie and per all over but such muddy mess and snow melt that can't make out prints . Any body had issues with coyotes taking coons
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/05/21 09:43 PM

First time I have ever heard of it.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/05/21 09:47 PM

I've heard of mountain lions doing that. Coyotes, not so much.
Posted By: furstroker

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/05/21 09:47 PM

Dogs?

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/05/21 09:50 PM

We do have a big dog running the area no one knows anything about it. To me he kinda looks like a yotie German shepherd cross
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/05/21 09:57 PM

I can't even get buzzards to eat coon.....but I would lean much more to a dog than a yote in your case.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/05/21 10:04 PM

Sometimes that happens to coon if they are in shallow water or on a drowner in shallow water. They do it to themselves.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/05/21 10:13 PM

I get that around here also at times. I have had several coon killed caught in a coyote set and eaten by coyotes, some coon get found by a pair or a group of yotes and they are toast just because they can do it.

I have heard coyotes catch and kill coon while sitting on my front porch just after dark this late summer. Terrible squealing and death wail sound for a few seconds and then its all quiet. Coyote kill.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/05/21 10:14 PM

Last year had coyotes kill 2 different coon, but did not eat them. They also shredded one red fox. Nothing but a human eats coon lol
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/05/21 10:15 PM

Yep..coyotes will kill trapped coon. Bobcats will too.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/05/21 10:24 PM

Had them do it here. Once found a foreleg in a trap, stripped of all the red meat. The rest of the 'coon was cleaned up. A fresh snow told the story. It was a small pack....I can't remember just how many there were, it was 15-18 years ago.

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/05/21 10:31 PM

I'm just glad to no I'm not the only one having that issue. I no the farm it's happening on is thick with coyotes and couple bobcat.
Posted By: trappinia

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/05/21 10:33 PM

Yup I've had it here .
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/05/21 10:44 PM

Probably a coon hunters hounds. So long as they dont take my trap I figure its just one of those things that happens. Coon dogs once released are naturally going to bee line to a coon in a trap. If my trap is gone I get a little grouchy.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/05/21 11:24 PM

Coyotes, fisher & marten will eat 'coon. Maybe big woods animals are different than farm animals. The 'coon I've seen eaten were not killed by the eater. A big 'coon might give a little coyote trouble.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/05/21 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Last year had coyotes kill 2 different coon, but did not eat them. They also shredded one red fox. Nothing but a human eats coon lol

Coon dogs will gobble them up IF par-boiled

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/05/21 11:40 PM

I tried using coon for bait for both marten and fisher and never had it touched.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 02:27 AM

Coyotes are a recent invader of my neck of the woods. These coyotes will eat anything including coons. I caught one next to a buried coon. I find raccoon hair in a lot of scat too.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
Coyotes are a recent invader of my neck of the woods. These coyotes will eat anything including coons. I caught one next to a buried coon. I find raccoon hair in a lot of scat too.

Thats true in the crap

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce T
I tried using coon for bait for both marten and fisher and never had it touched.

Must be the Ashland fisher and marten are hungrier.

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 06:22 AM

How can you tell coarse racoon hair from coarse deer hair, after it has passed through a coyote?????????

Build a pee collection pen. feed the coyotes in it coon meat. See how many days it takes, for them to get hungry enough to eat it.

They are curious animals. Any buried animal will get a few nosing around.

Like with possums skunks and armadillo's, a general rule is only birds eat coons. Nothing is 100% but that rule is close.

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 06:30 AM

Things might be different in areas that have deep snow cover for five months of the year. What eats coyotes? A fox will eat the fat off of them in deep snow country. I do know this for fisher & marten beaver is the best bait for me, but 'coon works when necessary. It could have been curiosity that made this marten go in the box or it could have been the 'coon leg.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 06:37 AM

In areas with deep snow for five months how much time do coons spend trying to move around in it rather than a half dozen piled in together, sleeping in a den tree ?

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
In areas with deep snow for five months how much time do coons spend trying to move around in it rather than a half dozen piled in together, sleeping in a den tree ?

Never saw one 'coon track in the snow before spring. Up north coon disappear with the bears. But, if I get a carcass out of my freezer and put it out they will eat it.

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 06:50 AM

Coyotes will eat them if you starve them into it also in a pen. Might be the same thing?
Posted By: DWC

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Larry Baer
Sometimes that happens to coon if they are in shallow water or on a drowner in shallow water. They do it to themselves.

I vote this. If no body or pieces were left the coon chewed or wrung out. I had a giant rear leg sticking out of a trap that apparently needed a mid chain swivel. Had one above geound hooked to earth anchor and one on the trap. It was wound up tight in grass. He wrung it off pretty high.
Posted By: Hunter 1

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 07:31 PM

I had coons eaten by yotes more than once. All my fisher sets are pole sets and on occasions I do get coons. I had coon eaten right down to a bone and interesting enough I never had a fisher touched.

However, most coons were consumed from end of January to February when yotes have been running hard.

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hunter 1
I had coons eaten by yotes more than once. All my fisher sets are pole sets and on occasions I do get coons. I had coon eaten right down to a bone and interesting enough I never had a fisher touched.

However, most coons were consumed from end of January to February when yotes have been running hard.

Your animals just aren't hungry enough.

Both from this year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 08:10 PM

Those are not coon crazy.....looks alot like both fisher to me.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 08:15 PM

Yes, I had it happen once, twice fox killed by coyote

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tactical.20

But not coon killed by coyotes?

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 08:17 PM

Read the fine print.

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by ebsurveyor

Read the fine print.

Confusing as your pictures are of fisher being eaten not coons.

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 08:43 PM

Eb yotes are yotes and when they are competing for food they will eat whatever is available no question about this.

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 09:30 PM

Eb yotes are yotes and when they are competing for food they will eat whatever is available no question about this.

Hey hunter, fisher ate the fisher & they also got about 5 of my marten and 4 or 5 weasels. Worst year I've seen for fisher eating stuff in the trap. We must use boxes in Maine and the coyotes can't get to the fur.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: red mt

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 09:39 PM

Bobcat tend to kill a coon in a trap pretty regular

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by ebsurveyor

Hey hunter, fisher ate the fisher & they also got about 5 of my marten and 4 or 5 weasels. Worst year I've seen for fisher eating stuff in the trap. We must use boxes in Maine and the coyotes can't get to the fur.

[Linked Image]

Have had fisher eat fisher and fisher eat marten quite often.
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 10:09 PM

Dog I bet. Some ppl let mean dogs run, not cool to walk in town, dog attack an owner's think funny, or come up an say sorry, I was in culvert this fsll an thought a coyote come at me in shallow water an got truck an dog

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/06/21 11:24 PM

Hey Bruce I know fisher will their own kind, but I have not seen this yet. 5 or 6 years ago I trapped a property where I caught 8 fisher bassically out of two pole sets. No young fisher caught mostly large males and some females...In my views no young caught likely meant they were competing for food and possibly eating young fisher when the opportunity occurred. I have no evidence of this but it is an hypothesis which I beleive to be valid based on personal observations.

This bush had basically no small games, not tracks of anything.

I am checking traps everyday and seeing so much food for criters it is not even funny. I am currently baiting pole sets with beaver and at times fisher will totally disregard my sets so it is fair to say they are not starving in this neck of the woods.

Eb, Bruce, thanks for sharing pictures. Always interesting to see what others are experiencing on the trap line.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/07/21 12:15 AM

Got plenty of trail cam pics of caught coons with coyotes and cats coming by giving them plenty of space. Our buzzards even don’t jump on them right away. Don’t know of anything taking down a coon in these parts except maybe a couple of seasoned coon hounds.
Posted By: jk

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/07/21 12:43 AM

I have had mink eat mink and it looked just like EB's second photo. Have had fox eaten by coyotes, both reds and greys. That is it for me. But a buddy of mine long time passed trapped fox late in the year at strategically placed coon caracaras, late in the year......jk

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/07/21 02:04 AM

Click on these links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EVbnWubVjI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29xjMVRRmaY
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/07/21 02:41 AM

Haha. Would have been all fun and games until that coon jumped on that coyotes head, lol.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/07/21 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tactical.20

But not coon killed by coyotes?

Yes coon one time, he got out of #3 trap, made it about 20 feet, two coyote grabbed it, only flecks of blood and a few hairs on the snow
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/07/21 02:30 PM

Everything gets eaten hereabouts.
Possums are the last thing to be eaten. Yotes will pee on the possum carcass, rather than eat it.
But coons, etc disappear quick.
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/07/21 03:05 PM

I bet it was a bobcat. I have them do the same thing even in water sets. LLL
Posted By: trapperinfo

Re: Will coyotes kill trapped coon - 01/07/21 04:11 PM

Set up a trail cam!!!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums