Home

Let's talk grinders again.

Posted By: elkaholic

Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 12:52 AM

I know this has been discussed here multiple times, but I'm having trouble finding anything in the archives.

But anywho. My grinder motor took a big ole poop the other day. It was nothing real special. An old motor that had reduction pulleys on it. For the last few years it's been leaking oil like a sieve and kicking the breaker on it. Finally, in the middle of grinding a deer the other day it died for good.

So now I'm in the market for a new grinder. I don't need a big commercial unit. I'm looking for one that will grind a few deer and burger a year, have the ability to stuff sausage and pepperoni sticks. I don't want it to be so slow that it takes a day to grind 200 lbs of meat, but it also doesn't have to be so fast that it does it in 10 seconds either.

I'm looking to hopefully only spend around $300.

Any help would be great.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 12:54 AM

I have an attachment for our Kitchen Aid mixer that actually does a really good job. It's not real fast though.

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
I have an attachment for our Kitchen Aid mixer that actually does a really good job. It's not real fast though.

I have that too and I don't like it. I guess I'm kind of spoiled by how good my old jury rigged grinder did things. It was dangerous as all get out, but it got the job done. It was nothing for us to put 600-700 lbs of deer and pork through that thing over a weekend and also stuff that much sausage and it would still be crying for more.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 12:59 AM

ADC will sell you his rat grinder for $275,00 and include shipping!

Chris
Posted By: Finster

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 01:01 AM

A little more than you want to spend but "Buy once, cry once" You'll have to copy and past this. for some reason it's not showing up as a link.

https://www.amazon.com/VBENLEM-Electric-Stainless-Commercial-Grinding/dp/B0822SDSDV/ref=sr_1_60_sspa?crid=17E1NQWUP8PBZ&dchild=1&keywords=meat+grinder+electric&qid=1609894675&sprefix=meat+gr%2Caps%2C208&sr=8-60-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQkxZSlAyNzBZRVRUJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODE3ODU5M0NYM1dBS0EzVUs0SiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTg1MDIzM05KV0NKVjk3WkFJTCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2J0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 01:03 AM

Finster, Did I read that right?? It weighs 660 lbs? OR is that the amount of meat it can put through it an hour?

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by elkaholic
Finster, Did I read that right?? It weighs 660 lbs? OR is that the amount of meat it can put through it an hour?

I'm sure it's not the weight but I don't really know much about it. I just looked on amazon for you. This seems like it's worth looking into. The reviews seem decent. I always look at reviews and then go on youtube type it in the search bar and there is usually someone that bought it and is doing a review. Just a suggestion
Posted By: scalloper

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 01:12 AM

I bought a Cabelas Carnavore this fall. Its quite a rig. Its probable larger then I needed but me and my sons will put it to use for many years to come.

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 01:14 AM

I just read that again and saw it is 660ln/hr.

That's small for a commercial grade unit. It's like 15"x15"x15".

Now I just gotta talk the wife into it.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 01:15 AM

Watch craigslist i just bought a 1 1/2 horse Hobart for 175 and i bet you'll see lots more if lockdowns continue
Posted By: Nessmuck

[Linked Image]

This is a grinder ..in my neck of the woods....lol
Posted By: Spade

You might try this link, customer service is great, it is where I brought my grinder:

/www.waltonsinc.com/equipment/grinders

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 01:24 AM

I just read that again and saw it is 660ln/hr.

That's small for a commercial grade unit. It's like 15"x15"x15".

Now I just gotta talk the wife into it.

Make sure you do your research first. I know I've never heard of that name brand but then again, Im' no expert on meat grinders.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
[Linked Image]

That looks more like a vegetarian sammich to me.

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper

Chris

grin

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 01:31 AM

I know what you mean there.

I bought an electric smoker without researching them that much. Got 6 uses out of it and the heating element went out. Got a new element and right now I'm working on my 20 use and it's still going good. But the reviews I read afterwards said it is a big problem with them. I now only use it for low temp smoking like cheese, eggs, and some jerky.

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 01:33 AM

No thanks ADC. There ain't enough pure grain alcohol and bleach to clean that good enough for me.

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 01:36 AM

No thanks ADC. There ain't enough pure grain alcohol and bleach to clean that good enough for me.

You supposed to clean it? I just rinse it off, spray it down with WD40 and let it set in the shop for next round. lol

They will go through the deer fast if you could find a new one. They are not easy to find these days.
Posted By: Mike77

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 01:38 AM

I am also looking for a grinder to do 2-3 deer a year. This is what I'm going to get, LEM big bite #8 grinder price is around 300 dollars, 1/2 hp,
7 lbs per minute. I watched some you tube videos on it and it seems like it would be good for my usage
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 01:40 AM

That is funny, I don’t care who you are.

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Spade
You might try this link, customer service is great, it is where I brought my grinder:

/www.waltonsinc.com/equipment/grinders

I like the looks of those. Which one do you have?

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 01:41 AM

I have that too and I don't like it. I guess I'm kind of spoiled by how good my old jury rigged grinder did things. It was dangerous as all get out, but it got the job done. It was nothing for us to put 600-700 lbs of deer and pork through that thing over a weekend and also stuff that much sausage and it would still be crying for more.

The trick if there is one, is to put it together TIGHTLY, then trim the meat well and cut is smaller than you'd think with the knife first. I can grind a deer's worth of meat in 30-45 minutes. I use the mixer to mix the meat too.
Posted By: mudtracker

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 01:45 AM

I got the lem #12 big byte. I've run a hog and two deer through it so far. Really works good. Was more than I wanted to spend.
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 01:48 AM

I have the LEM #22. I love it! I had the small #8 that Cabela's sold for 20 years and it did a good job, but is really slow compared to this one. My buddy has the LEM #12 and likes it too. It might be bigger than you want, but when your grinding it's nice to get it done especially on the second grind. We butchered a cow at my uncle's and ground it all. 3 of us cutting and 2 grinding with a LEM #22 and we couldn't keep up and they started with 4 meat tubs. That's what sold me on it.
Posted By: Spade

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 01:51 AM

I've got Weston # 8 , in the silver, does everything I need it for. A little motor noise, but I can tolerate that.

If you have any questions you can email them, I normally get an answer back in 12 hours, 24 at the most.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 01:54 AM

I have a LEM #22 as well and have been very happy with the performance. I do own two identical grinders like ADC uses for rats but only used one by hand for a short time and the other is new in the box. Did pick up a 1 hp motor and pulleys for it but have not set it up yet.

Chris
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 02:01 AM

I really like my LEM #12 3/4 hp big bite

I used to use the kitchen aid it was slow but did work

the LEM #12 is a LOT faster

it's is about the difference of 1-2 pounds a minute to 5-7 pounds a minute with a tray big enough that you can just keep feeding it. trim into 5 quart pails and just dump and grind

I would also have to stop and clean the silver skin from the cutter twice a deer on the kitchen aid now I clean the silver skin about every 2 deer

it is the difference between a tool made for 5-10 pound of occasional use vs 50-100 pounds fairly often.

the kitchen aid was perfect for making ham salad or turkey salad with leftovers

if your looking for a setup like ADC
https://www.lehmans.com/product/chop-rite-bolt-down-meat-grinders/
https://www.lehmans.com/product/chop-rite-pulley-wheels/

they have a china version of the grinder also but are out of stock currently
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 02:08 AM

https://www.lemproducts.com/product/big-bite-grinder-8-head-size/butcher-meat-grinders
Posted By: crowheart

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 02:28 AM

I have the one you need Hobart with a #32 head. grin [Linked Image]
Posted By: HUSKERTRAPPER

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 02:48 AM

As a butcher shop owner, I would tell you that for what you are wanting to do, LEM or Cabelas is probably gonna be your best bet. I don't recommend Walton's, as their customer service only lasts until your card has been swiped. Check craigslist or any other local auction sites you may know about. Hobart, Biro, and Hollymatic are pretty good brand names with accessible parts and service. Gotta be careful as a lot of the bigger units are three phase. A #32 head would be minimum. We run a #52 with a 10 hp motor, and it just gets with it! If you have any questions, feel free to message me.
Posted By: farmnhunt

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 02:59 AM

I have a LEM 8. I've done several deer, 1 hog and 1 beef. On coarse grind it's fine. on fine grind you have to clean frequently to keep it grinding without lots of plunger pressure. It works, not great. I ordered a 22 it didn't come in so I had to buy an 8 they had on hand. Wished I had got the 22. I'll probably buy a bigger one at some point, I don't think the 8 will hold up.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper

Chris

grin

I gotta build me one of Those!!!
Posted By: corky

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 03:27 AM

I got myself a LEM #12 for Christmas. Should have done it 15 years ago. Great unit.
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 05:00 AM

I have a 1/2 HP Cabelas grinder. It's done solid service grinding through multiple elk, deer and bear. For the money, it is a solid performer. However if I was to buy a new grinder, I would go bigger and I would go with the LEM dual grind. Everything we grind goes through twice.

https://www.lemproducts.com/product/dual-grind-22-big-bite-meat-grinder/dual-grind
Posted By: furstroker

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 05:03 AM

What do you guys recommend for gas powered, or pto driven? Asking for a friend.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by furstroker

depends what you have for a tractor 36hp is going to be a minimum.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 05:16 AM

grin
Posted By: furstroker

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by furstroker

depends what you have for a tractor 36hp is going to be a minimum.

Couple of them... whistle grin

I could get 2...then shoot into the other for maximum grindage and
more spread out roots n such cool grin
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 05:18 AM

[Linked Image]

I’m pretty sure you mean this:

Attached picture 64854D28-06E7-409E-AB39-68476F14EB06.jpeg
Posted By: trapr

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck
[Linked Image]

That looks more like a vegetarian sammich to me.
I thought garden salad with big croutons
Posted By: aknome

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 09:17 AM

i have an older Cabelas 1.5 hp model.
it has done literally thousand of pounds of burger and sausage.
Evan frozen chunks don't make it grunt.
It grinds faster than you can feed it.
Posted By: ack

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 03:33 PM

Add me to the lem 8 list. We only do one or 2 deer at a time. Fast enough for me.
Now if you want to start a small meat shop go bigger. Home butchering imo the 8 is big enough.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/06/21 03:46 PM

I know this isn't what the OP had in mind, but for anyone wanting to do small grinds in batches under 20 or 30 pounds, I only use hand crank grinders. I have 3 sizes.....#5, #12 and #22. All old Enterprise cast iron grinders. Even the little #5 will do 20 pounds of pork about as fast as you can feed it. These are found in abundance on ebay.

I may be the only one on the planet who still grinds by hand, but it works for me.

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/07/21 01:03 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions.
Posted By: Pasadena

Re: Let's talk grinders again. - 01/07/21 11:12 AM

https://www.meatyourmaker.com/proce...zCh3hGwsfEAAYASABEgIwqvD_BwE&start=1
© 2024 Trapperman Forums