Home

First couple batches done...

Posted By: Actor

First couple batches done... - 01/06/21 02:36 AM

Well, my first couple of batches are finally completed... 9 coon, 2 mink, 14 muskrats, and 1 Red fox...

Red Fox I trapped 2 years ago, have had in in the freezer...

[Linked Image]

Final 2 coon...

[Linked Image]

This bunch of rats, minus one, Is from last year, from the freezer. Two of these rats were throw aways if you were going to sell them. One rat was partially destroyed by a mink and one of them was destroyed by a coon. When tanning there are parts of the pelt that may be used for some project... so why throw them away.

[Linked Image]

Garry-
Posted By: ABeardedTrapper

Re: First couple batches done... - 01/06/21 02:37 AM

Very nice. Eric
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: First couple batches done... - 01/06/21 02:38 AM

Nice !
Posted By: 20scout

Re: First couple batches done... - 01/06/21 02:39 AM

Nice job Garry! I agree with you on not throwing something away that you can find a use for. What method did you use to tan them?
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: First couple batches done... - 01/06/21 02:40 AM

Looks good!

Chris
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: First couple batches done... - 01/06/21 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Actor
Well, my first couple of batches are finally completed... 9 coon, 2 mink, 14 muskrats, and 1 Red fox...

Red Fox I trapped 2 years ago, have had in in the freezer...

[Linked Image]

Final 2 coon...

[Linked Image]

This bunch of rats, minus one, Is from last year, from the freezer. Two of these rats were throw aways if you were going to sell them. One rat was partially destroyed by a mink and one of them was destroyed by a coon. When tanning there are parts of the pelt that may be used for some project... so why throw them away.

[Linked Image]

Garry-

Great Job!!! I Love the Round Muskrat
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: First couple batches done... - 01/06/21 03:22 AM

Great job!!

Re: First couple batches done... - 01/06/21 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
Nice job Garry! I agree with you on not throwing something away that you can find a use for. What method did you use to tan them?

I am using a combination of systems... I am now using mostly TRUBOND TANNING PRODUCTS. https://trubondtanning.com/shop They have Citric acid, where I was using battery acid. I use their Trubond 1000B tanning solution and their Lipa-Solv 77 and Lipa-Solv 55, they are both solvents, but have different uses. The one LP55 is used in rejuvenating hides, i.e., you can flesh and stretch (air dry) Then at a later time you can rejuvenate the hide to be tanned.

The combined system I use has 16 different steps to it. There are a couple of steps that you don't have to use, but I am in the habit of using them, but have tested both way and don't find difference either. They also have a kit to use but I don't think I like it ... so I don't use it. I am still experimenting, to see if I can work out all of the bugs, or better to my liking. They have several different set of directions, but they tell me I should go by the set that is for Tanning Bear hides.

I will be writing up a blow by blow... set of instructions as soon as I can be sure that everything I am doing is productive, and give the end results that I want, which is a soft finished pelt. I am about 90 to 95% there
and hope soon I will have accomplished it. I still have more muskrats and coon in the freezer to do. So... Please standby.

Garry-

Re: First couple batches done... - 01/06/21 03:37 AM

330-Trapper The round rat was the one the mink tore up. It went in through the throat and ruined most of the under side. I didn't do anything to the hide except cut the rest of the way to the head. Anyone wanting to make dream catcher should hire a mink to make your incisions for you. the one to right of the round one is the one coon tore up.The lower half was tore up but the top half was okay.

Garry-
Posted By: 20scout

Re: First couple batches done... - 01/06/21 04:53 AM

I would be interested to know how you do it as I have a pile of beaver pelts I would like to do. Commercial tanning is nice but would cost me a small fortune in shipping alone!
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: First couple batches done... - 01/06/21 05:22 AM

Nice
Posted By: Seek

Re: First couple batches done... - 01/06/21 05:25 AM

Actor,

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to your instructions.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums