Home

Need help finding a gun.

Posted By: Ohiowoodchuck

Need help finding a gun. - 01/06/21 07:04 PM

I’m looking for a older H&R 10 gauge turkey gun. I believe they had a 24” barrel. Some were camo some weren’t. If someone knows of one at a gun shop that will ship to my FFl please let me know.
Posted By: WV Danimal

Re: Need help finding a gun. - 01/06/21 07:14 PM

I HAD one. A case of Bud Light will give you the same migraine you get every time you shoot it, but a lot cheaper.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Need help finding a gun. - 01/06/21 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by WV Danimal
I HAD one. A case of Bud Light will give you the same migraine you get every time you shoot it, but a lot cheaper.

I started turkey hunting with a 3" H&R 12 gauge. That baby kicks like a mule. I can't imagine a 10 gauge.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Need help finding a gun. - 01/06/21 07:27 PM

I’d Visit shops nationwide at www.gunsamerica.com if it was me.
Posted By: nate

Re: Need help finding a gun. - 01/06/21 07:59 PM

Jacob
I have a sp- 10 it's awesome whacks the we wee out of gobblers and yotes have you thought about getting it threaded for chokes?
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: Need help finding a gun. - 01/06/21 08:41 PM

The H&R would be a much better carry if chasin turkeys up and down the hills.
With new shot materials such as TSS and HW-15,I don't see why anyone would carry a 12ga much less a heavy 10 ga in the turkey woods.

Re: Need help finding a gun. - 01/06/21 08:56 PM

I’m not turkey hunting with it. My 7 year old son killed his turkey this year with a .410 at 27 yards and tss#9’s. I just want to buy that model.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Need help finding a gun. - 01/06/21 09:30 PM

10 gauge kills on both ends. My son has the 12 gauge and a 3 in shell knocks your filling out of your teeth. God bless the person shooting the 10 gauge. His has a piece of cold rolled steel in the stock to add weight. Came from the factory that way.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Need help finding a gun. - 01/06/21 09:31 PM

If you are not going to use it to hunt 12 guage be easier to find
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Need help finding a gun. - 01/06/21 09:43 PM

The barrels were longer then 24 inches closer to 30, back with steel shot 10 ga shells were exempt when that started. It was tough to even find shells back then, I found some paper 2 7/8 I believe at a gun shop old stock. I had a buddy shoot it and the paper shells kept it from latching correctly he shot it once it broke open and his thumb hit his nose. He said he had never been hit by a man that hard. LOL

Re: Need help finding a gun. - 01/06/21 09:46 PM

It’s just called the H&R Pardner. The model 176 had the barrel length up to 36”
Posted By: headache73

Re: Need help finding a gun. - 01/07/21 02:34 AM

Yep. 10 gauge has got to be brutal. I bought a 12 gauge new. Shot 2 turkey loads through it and sold it
Posted By: Dead Coyote

Re: Need help finding a gun. - 01/07/21 12:35 PM

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/888769186
Posted By: cotton

Re: Need help finding a gun. - 01/07/21 12:41 PM

https://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerTurkey.asp.html
Posted By: scalloper

Re: Need help finding a gun. - 01/07/21 12:42 PM

Yip, I have had two over the years and a double 10ga. I bought my first one about 1980. After I bought a 3 1/2" 12ga I sold them both. I can get just as good performance from the 12ga.
Posted By: scalloper

Re: Need help finding a gun. - 01/07/21 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by headache73

Yep. 10 gauge has got to be brutal. I bought a 12 gauge new. Shot 2 turkey loads through it and sold it

The 3 1/2" turkey loads in a 12 ga to me are as much as any 10 ga from my 35 years of experience.

Re: Need help finding a gun. - 01/07/21 01:47 PM

That’s the one.
Posted By: lcd

Re: Need help finding a gun. - 01/07/21 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pirogue
The H&R would be a much better carry if chasin turkeys up and down the hills.
With new shot materials such as TSS and HW-15,I don't see why anyone would carry a 12ga much less a heavy 10 ga in the turkey woods.

I put my old heavy 12's away because of the weight and got myself a 20 Stevens by Savage arms single shot. It is already drilled and taped and I put a red dot scope on it off my 12 as well as the sling and went with the TSS. Got to use it this fall and man it has some knock down power. Very light and quick to move around when that old gobbler comes in from the wrong direction. Comes with a factory turkey choke tube. Kinda high dollar for a single shot, but still a lot cheaper than an auto-loader.
Posted By: Seek

Re: Need help finding a gun. - 01/07/21 02:48 PM

My two teenagers have killed 7 Toms between them, all with a 20 gauge, off the shelf Mossberg youth Turkey gun with Remington #5 turkey loads. Deadly, no second shots required, open sights. Let them into decoy range and put the big cannons away.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums