Home

Low carb?

Posted By: yote_trapper20

Low carb? - 01/07/21 04:36 AM

Who does it? Any tips, tricks, good recipes, etc. I’m trying to make the dive as I’m borderline high blood pressure with a family history of diabetes. Just trying to get over the mental hurdle of not really being able to eat a few items I like to have on occasion.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 04:42 AM

My wife tries to do it. I'll see if she can send me some youtubes were her favorite practitioners. Lots of info out there...
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 04:46 AM

I've been doing it for almost a year now. Almost zero carbs for me. I eat almost nothing but meat/fat. I was diagnosed with RA. All I can tell you is that it worked for me. I have always been very active but I still lost 30 pounds and have never felt better. Go to youtube and watch some lowcarb down under videos. Lots of science out there. Good luck.
Posted By: keystone

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 04:48 AM

Lean meats, vegetables, and berries. Pretty much can eat as much as you want of those foods.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 04:51 AM

I Need Carbs, my metabolism burns too fast
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 04:53 AM

make a sandwich in a lettuce leaf

cheese and sausage makes a good snack

fat head pizza cream cheese, mozzarella , almond flour, and an egg make the fat head pizza crust bake that then top it like a regular pizza.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 04:55 AM

I eat a balance of carbs, fats and proteins but none of it is junk or processed food. If your afraid of quitting soda pop and/or junk carbs you should quit all of that junk anyway.
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Marty
I eat a balance of carbs, fats and proteins but none of it is junk or processed food. If your afraid of quitting soda pop and/or junk carbs you should quit all of that junk anyway.

This.
Avoid sugar and that poison they call high fructose corn syrup .It's all about balance and moderation. Stay active, calories in vs. calories burned .
Posted By: Hankit

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 07:08 AM

I’ve been doing for a week now. It’s been a struggle. Cut all sugars and most carbs. Been eating salads with fish or turkey or chicken or moose. Hardest part for me is lunch and break times at work. Will be watching this for any good recipes.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 07:12 AM

My wife , daughter , and me were doing it for awhile . I lost weight , they couldnt doit their blood sugar kept dropping .I think it was because they wouldnt eat fat and broaden their vegitable intake . I was feeling pretty good until my wife started baking bread and that was the end of my "paleo "eating habits .
Posted By: waggler

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 07:24 AM

I read a book a few years ago on the subject. One of the ideas the writer suggested is that alcoholism is merely carb addiction. I think he might be on to something.

A coupe of years ago I decided to cut way back on carbs for a period of time. I noticed after a few days that about 8PM I would get an overwhelming desired for carbs, I could hardly stop myself (a few times I didn't stop my self) from hoping in my truck and driving up to the store and buying a couple of doughnuts.

I really think there may be a link between the two things.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
I Need Carbs, my metabolism burns too fast

That's what it feels like at first because your body is used to "burning" carbs... Once your body makes the switch to burning fat you'll notice some changes after you get over the carb withdrawal.

You won't feel ravenously hungry with an aching, churning stomach. You won't have weakness/tremors from low blood sugar... Your body will just burn any fat reserves it has until you eat. And once you do eat you won't feel bloated and sluggish.

But you have to eat fat...

When I started I made the mistake of eating jerky/biltong along with vegetables, nuts, and sugar-free peanut butter... I would stuff myself and be hungry in 2 hours. But when I made the switch to meat with actual fat content I could go almost all day between meals... The fat burns long and slow.

It's rough at first. But once your body switches over to burning fat it's great. The only problem is that sugar and carbs are in everything... Mainly because they're cheap, abundant, and taste good. It's very easy to slip back into just grabbing a "quick bag" of carbs and sugar instead of actually feeding yourself.

Mike
Posted By: DecoyMacoy

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 11:38 AM

Eat real human food. So, yes low carb.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 12:11 PM

It does but hard to do for long. Check out DASH, best option for lowering BP and general healthy eating

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...y-eating/in-depth/dash-diet/art-20048456
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 12:39 PM

Im not sure someone with borderline high blood pressure should start eating nothing but meat and fat... that sounds off to me... but wish you luck

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 12:47 PM

3 meals a day + low fat + whole grains + veg oils + sugar is the reason 80% of the country is fat and sick.

Since going to mostly red meat/animal products (human food) years ago I've lost a lot of weight, eat way less overall (usually 1 or 2 meals in a 4hr window) , sleep better, live better. My 40 yr old body would kick my 20yr old @$$ and I'm overall less active than I was then.

To say a diet of real food (meat) is unstainable is beyond laughable.

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by OhioBoy
Im not sure someone with borderline high blood pressure should start eating nothing but meat and fat... that sounds off to me... but wish you luck

You know, maybe you're right we probably should keep trusting the "news" and the "experts" and the "science"
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 12:53 PM

I started low carb last year. I jump right in the deep end and tried to get into ketosis right away. It was a struggle the first few weeks. Even got "keto flu" one day. Eventually My body adapted. I really liked it. I didn't lose any weight but I did lose a couple inches on my pants size.

I've since relaxed a bit on my diet but I still am mindful of my carbs and try to avoid refined carbs. I think one thing that is important to remember is that with the extra protein and fiber is to really be conscious of getting enough fluids. STAY HYDRATED

Hope this works out for you.

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 01:02 PM

Lots of science out there now that says otherwise. Ancel Keys and his botched seven countries study is the only reason animal fats got a bad rap. That study has been thoroughly debunked now and any good doctor will be aware of that. Metabolic disease is rampant in NA now, and the high carb diet is the reason. Everyone knows sugar is bad, but few realize how much sugar is in all the regular food they eat. My blood pressure was never real high, but I was in the high normal range..130 ish over 85-90 depending on the day. One month into the meat/fat my BP dropped to 120/62 where it has stayed. So much out there on it now that in another 10 years or so I think it will be mainstream. Type 2 diabetes can be completely reversed with a low carb diet, that says volumes all by itself.

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by DecoyMacoy
3 meals a day + low fat + whole grains + veg oils + sugar is the reason 80% of the country is fat and sick.

Since going to mostly red meat/animal products (human food) years ago I've lost a lot of weight, eat way less overall (usually 1 or 2 meals in a 4hr window) , sleep better, live better. My 40 yr old body would kick my 20yr old @$$ and I'm overall less active than I was then.

I do the same thing, one or two meals in a 4-hour window. My experience is same as yours. I've never felt better and would never go back. How many years you been doing it?
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 01:13 PM

Do any of you folks doing low carb include things like lentils, beans, sweet potatoes? I certainly don't need to loose any more weight, I have a hard enough time gaining weight when weight training. I've always felt that anyone keeping with an exercise program will need some carbs to sustain extended aerobic activity.
Posted By: yote_trapper20

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 01:17 PM

Not the soda. I have quite soda before no problem. A big one for me is potatoes. A huge fan of potatoes and usually have at least one every other day.

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by 3togo
Do any of you folks doing low carb include things like lentils, beans, sweet potatoes? I certainly don't need to loose any more weight, I have a hard enough time gaining weight when weight training. I've always felt that anyone keeping with an exercise program will need some carbs to sustain extended aerobic activity.

Those are all carbs. I do low carb rather than keto right now so I will have them but in moderation. Again...I didn't lose any weight when I changed diets.

Edit: I wanted to add that I had a hard time looking for snacks. I've found boiled eggs make great snacks. I'll make 18 at a time and store them in the fridge. Can doctor them up with seasoning of your choice and they seem to have a nice fat/protein ratio.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 01:18 PM

I do a semi low carb.Eat meat and cheese,fruit,fresh vegetables but also drink juices and ice tea and eat white bread with my cheeseburgers.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by keystone
Lean meats, vegetables, and berries. Pretty much can eat as much as you want of those foods.

Not.

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by yukon254

I do the same thing, one or two meals in a 4-hour window. My experience is same as yours. I've never felt better and would never go back. How many years you been doing it?

About 4 now. Pretty amazing how when one eats real food you are not constantly hungry. Its also amazing how much energy one can have when fasting.

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman
Originally Posted by keystone

Not.

Why it works.Its processed foods that puts weight on you.

There is a weight training diet I heard of where you do no carbs for 3 days on and three days off, if I remember right.

Do any of you folks doing low carb include things like lentils, beans, sweet potatoes?

No I don't like gas, bloating and diarrhea

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 01:23 PM

veggies and berries are high in carbs, The OP was about low carbs.

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman

There is a weight training diet I heard of where you do no carbs for 3 days on and three days off, if I remember right.

Keto and gly cycling

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by yote_trapper20
Who does it? Any tips, tricks, good recipes, etc. I’m trying to make the dive as I’m borderline high blood pressure with a family history of diabetes. Just trying to get over the mental hurdle of not really being able to eat a few items I like to have on occasion.

Biggest tip is stay away from processed foods,potatoes,pasta,and soda

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 01:38 PM

How to fatten a pig, circa 1908 (low fat + grains or what we call it today "heart healthy start to the day cereal")

[Linked Image]

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River

Those are all carbs. I do low carb rather than keto right now so I will have them but in moderation. Again...I didn't lose any weight when I changed diets.

Edit: I wanted to add that I had a hard time looking for snacks. I've found boiled eggs make great snacks. I'll make 18 at a time and store them in the fridge. Can doctor them up with seasoning of your choice and they seem to have a nice fat/protein ratio.

Another good snack especially if you are spending a lot of time outside in the cold, is pemmican. I keep some in the fridge all the time now. I remember when i was a kid the older First Nations people would take dry meat and dip it in a tin of lard just like some people do with potato chips and dip now.

This guy did some early studies on the meat/fat diet of the Inuit.

THE FAT
OF
THE LAND
by
Vilhjalmur Stefansson
Posted By: Larry Hall

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 02:13 PM

Low Carb has really helped me lose weight and keep it off. I shoot to limit carbs to 25 per day and a 2000 calorie overall intake.. 65lbs down for over two years.. Need to up the exercise now and drop another 30, but....

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River

Another good snack especially if you are spending a lot of time outside in the cold, is pemmican. I keep some in the fridge all the time now. I remember when i was a kid the older First Nations people would take dry meat and dip it in a tin of lard just like some people do with potato chips and dip now.

This guy did some early studies on the meat/fat diet of the Inuit.

THE FAT
OF
THE LAND
by
Vilhjalmur Stefansson

I think I shared this before. My grandfather used to do something similar that he said he acquired during his time in Alaska. He would take his home made jerky and kind of dip it in a tub of Country Crock (when my grandma wasn't looking).
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 04:15 PM

I went on a low carb high protein diet and lost 10 pounds in a short time. I still avoid most carbs and sugars, but do cheat from time to time. Like last Saturday we had spaghetti and meatballs with a glass of wine. I weigh myself every day. If I see a pattern of weight gain of 2 pounds or more, I get stricter on my carb/protein intake until I'm back to my previous weight.

Pike River said to stay hydrated while you're on this diet. I couldn't agree more. Drink lots of water. I quit drinking sodas about a year ago. I don't miss them.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 04:16 PM

I've had diabetes for years now. In mmy prime, I weighed 175# all my life, but as my diabetes got harder to control, I read about doc Bernstein's low carb method of controlling diabetes, and went all in on it. Was a battle at first, feel great one day, and the next, felt like crap. But once through the first couple months, I felt great, but my blood sugars were still high one day and good the next....back and forth. Lost fifteen lbs that I didn't need to lose, but it didn't solve what I went on it for. I should tell you that during that time, I was eating from ten to fifteen carbs a day..After a yearand a half, I gave up and worked some carbs back in, eating some bread and sweet taters, but still eat that way today. The only thing that helps the diabetes is exercise and meds. I'm on three diabetes meds at pretty high doses, but my blood sugars are the best right now they have been in years! When the weather is nice, I try to walk a mile every other day, and that is more of a key for diabetes than the low carb diet, IMHO.

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T
I do a semi low carb.Eat meat and cheese,fruit,fresh vegetables but also drink juices and ice tea and eat white bread with my cheeseburgers.

When I had my last colonoscopy, my proctologist gave me a list of what to eat that was good for your colon and what wasn't. In big letters were: DON"T EAT WHITE BREAD!

I asked him why no white bread? He said your intestines have sharp corners and white bread doesn't pass through them like the grainier breads do. White bread has a tendency to become compacted in the intestines for some people which can cause numerous digestive problems.

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 04:59 PM

Lost 55 pounds on mine last year
Posted By: Malukchuk

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 11:48 PM

amazon and target have free shipping and keto food you can order. Wife and i have both lost ten pounds in the last month. Bacon wrapped asparagus, look up cauliflower recipes. Like they mentioned above stay away from carbs and mostly sugar.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Low carb? - 01/07/21 11:55 PM

Since I've started lifting seriously, I've started paying attention to 3 macros. Protein, carbs and fat. The body needs all to be healthy.

Re: Low carb? - 01/08/21 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by k snow
Since I've started lifting seriously, I've started paying attention to 3 macros. Protein, carbs and fat. The body needs all to be healthy.

Watch some of Dr Shawn Bakers videos. He's won a few world titles and lifts a lot. He's pure carnivore only carbs he gets are the few in meat.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Low carb? - 01/08/21 12:21 AM

Carbs aren't necessarily bad...

But the bread we eat today bears almost no resemblance to what our ancestors called bread.

Pay attention to the amount of carbs in proportion to fiber. Most of the processed junk has little fiber, if any. Whole fruits have a lot of sugar but also fiber... The fiber slows down the digestion process and prevents your blood sugar from spiking off the chart. Without the fiber your blood sugar will spike and your body releases insulin to convert all that sugar into fat for storage and you get no "fuel" from the food you just ate... You pack on fat while you starve.

Mike

Re: Low carb? - 01/08/21 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
Carbs aren't necessarily bad...

But the bread we eat today bears almost no resemblance to what our ancestors called bread.

Pay attention to the amount of carbs in proportion to fiber. Most of the processed junk has little fiber, if any. Whole fruits have a lot of sugar but also fiber... The fiber slows down the digestion process and prevents your blood sugar from spiking off the chart. Without the fiber your blood sugar will spike and your body releases insulin to convert all that sugar into fat for storage and you get no "fuel" from the food you just ate... You pack on fat while you starve.

Mike

Very true. I would add that the fruit and vegetables we eat today bear little resemblance to the stuff our ancestors ate. Fruit especially, was a seasonal treat unlike today where you can go buy fruit any day of the year. The sugar content in the fruits and vegetables we eat now is much higher too. In the northern latitudes just a short 75 years ago most of the people were almost total carnivores. Fat was a highly prized commodity back then.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Low carb? - 01/08/21 03:04 AM

You need to remove yourself from this thread immediately. Your physical condition only serves to depress us fatsos. smile
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Low carb? - 01/08/21 03:16 AM

I am a recovering carbohilic, currently off the wagon.
I went on a no carb diet a couple of years ago and was amazed how much weight I lost over a 6 week period. I never felt better. If you do not eat any carbs at all, you can pretty much eat as much as you want. The thing is, after a while you won't be eating as much and you aren't hungry like you used to get when you were on the carb roller coaster.
The first 2 weeks were rough. I felt like I was being poisoned. After that, I felt great.
Warning! It is a lifestyle. It is easy to fall off the wagon.

Re: Low carb? - 01/08/21 03:45 AM

Lots of talk about low carb/no carb but not much talk about how many calories being burned in a day or what amount of physical exercise is being done.

Aerobic capacity and strength may be just as important as weight. Another thing is sustainability, if you cannot sustain a nutrition plan for year then it is only a temporary fix. Permeant fixes are where health is at.

A healthy nutrition plan and a healthy fitness plan that is sustainable for many years is what will work for many years.....or......some fad diet once in a while while you do not worry about fitness at all....what do you think is better?

I do not think there is anything wrong with good healthy carbs being included in a diet plan. I take in 2500-3000 calories a day and around 40% of that is carbs. I also eat all those calories in an 8 hour window and fast the other 16 hours. 65 yoa, 6', 185# and right now 90 miles a week on the stationary bike plus strength training.

That's a lifestyle.^

Posted By: kyron4

Re: Low carb? - 01/08/21 06:21 AM

Lots of talk about low carb/no carb but not much talk about how many calories being burned in a day or what amount of physical exercise is being done.

Aerobic capacity and strength may be just as important as weight. Another thing is sustainability, if you cannot sustain a nutrition plan for year then it is only a temporary fix. Permeant fixes are where health is at.

A healthy nutrition plan and a healthy fitness plan that is sustainable for many years is what will work for many years.....or......some fad diet once in a while while you do not worry about fitness at all....what do you think is better?

I do not think there is anything wrong with good healthy carbs being included in a diet plan. I take in 2500-3000 calories a day and around 40% of that is carbs. I also eat all those calories in an 8 hour window and fast the other 16 hours. 65 yoa, 6', 185# and right now 90 miles a week on the stationary bike plus strength training.

That's a lifestyle.^

I agree.

I've seen a lot of people go "keto" and lose weight fast and within 12 to 18 months they are right back where they started. They slowly slip back little by little. Most people want to lose weight but not exercise or be active so they jump on the keto train. It's about a balanced diet and active lifestyle, calories in vs. calories burned.

I also do the 8/16 fast, but right now I'm doing the OMAD ( one meal a day) mostly eggs, fresh meats ( raised and wild), cheese and some fruits and veg. , and I feel great, sleep great, and have better focus and clarity . I also hump about 2 miles a day over rough terrain with 20 to 30 lbs. on my back. The 24 hrs fast isn't for everyone but has so much benefits for your body such as healing and repairing cells, improving cognitive ability and boosting immune system. The 3 meal day is a modern invention, made by man; your body was not really designed for it.

One last thing, eggs are truly a wonder food. They contain everything your body needs( except vit. C) in the right proportions .

Re: Low carb? - 01/08/21 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl

The first 2 weeks were rough. I felt like I was being poisoned. After that, I felt great.
Warning! It is a lifestyle. It is easy to fall off the wagon.

Sugar (carbs) is a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) of a drug! The addiction almost never goes away.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Low carb? - 01/08/21 01:28 PM

I went with a low carb diet last year and lost about 55lbs!!! It was pretty easy once you got on board and had the mindset to stay on it. One thing for sure if you missed a meal or didnt eat enough , I didnt loose any weight and sometimes even gained weight. Make sure you eat till your full.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Low carb? - 01/08/21 01:38 PM

I was being friendly and suggesting caution. Who are you and WTH does that even mean? Geez buddy.

You know, maybe you're right we probably should keep trusting the "news" and the "experts" and the "science"

Re: Low carb? - 01/08/21 02:09 PM

I was being friendly and suggesting caution. Who are you and WTH does that even mean? Geez buddy.

Sorry if this came across as a personal attack. It wasn't meant to be. Its an attack against "conventional wisdom/settled science", especially related to health. I despise seeing excuses to not at least try it. Low carb changed my life in every way for the better.
Posted By: Rye

Re: Low carb? - 01/08/21 02:24 PM

I am a network admin by trade. I sit, all day, in a cage. I also run a farm on the side, so I go from zero to 100 in the blink of an eye. Still I was packing on weight. Getting older sucks. So, At 42, My doctor told me that all though I don't "Look" overweight, I am, and that my A1C is out of control along with various other blood markers. I was headed down a very dark road. He simply said, cut the carbs son and left the room.
I had several friends that had gone keto and on the outside I saw them loose the weight. Inside, I had no idea how they were doing. So, I asked. Every single one of them said the same things. Dropped Cholesterol, BP was back in check, Blood sugar leveled, A1C was down, no more Hangry. So I started in January last year, cliché I know. I got the flu over new years and didn't eat much over broth and soup for 3 or 4 days so I figured it was a prime time to begin. Between Jan and June, I lost 26 lbs. I had the doc redraw my blood, EVERYTHING was back in the normal range, including my BP. I felt better, had more energy and most importantly, the brain fog was gone.
Got to remember it's not a "diet" it's a life style change. TO start I signed up with some at home company that sent out weekly menu's with shopping lists and recipes. That helped alot as I didn't have to "Think" about what to eat. Just read, shop, make.
Over about 2 months I dropped them and and began cooking for myself, based on just getting to know what was good and not good and I bought a few cook books for inspiration. Ditching sugar was a main issue, but the keto fat bombs saved my arse. I quit booze all together for 90 days, then switched to Titos, club and lemon. No sugar in it other than the alcohol.
Around Thanksgiving, I got off the track and allowed myself to enjoy the treats through the holidays, I'm now back on the wagon, 10lbs heavier. I doubt I'll make that decision again. I just felt like crap the whole time.

To the doubters, all I can say is it works. To the curmudgeons all I can say is not everyone spends 12 hours a day digging a ditch or building a house. We all have to work with what we were given. For many, it's a psychological issue, where as food has become a tool to deal with stress, depression, or something else. You have to re-evaluate your relationship with food entirely and come to understand the things we are given / taught by our parents were largely wrong. Sugar is poison. Wheat/Gluten is NOT good for you.
Salt, Fat, Protein, and a selection of Veggies (not all) and Fruit is actually NOT good for your body. The goal is to keep an even Blood Sugar level all day, any kind of carb will start the roller coaster.

Re: Low carb? - 01/08/21 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rye
I am a network admin by trade. I sit, all day, in a cage. I also run a farm on the side, so I go from zero to 100 in the blink of an eye. Still I was packing on weight. Getting older sucks. So, At 42, My doctor told me that all though I don't "Look" overweight, I am, and that my A1C is out of control along with various other blood markers. I was headed down a very dark road. He simply said, cut the carbs son and left the room.
I had several friends that had gone keto and on the outside I saw them loose the weight. Inside, I had no idea how they were doing. So, I asked. Every single one of them said the same things. Dropped Cholesterol, BP was back in check, Blood sugar leveled, A1C was down, no more Hangry. So I started in January last year, cliché I know. I got the flu over new years and didn't eat much over broth and soup for 3 or 4 days so I figured it was a prime time to begin. Between Jan and June, I lost 26 lbs. I had the doc redraw my blood, EVERYTHING was back in the normal range, including my BP. I felt better, had more energy and most importantly, the brain fog was gone.
Got to remember it's not a "diet" it's a life style change. TO start I signed up with some at home company that sent out weekly menu's with shopping lists and recipes. That helped alot as I didn't have to "Think" about what to eat. Just read, shop, make.
Over about 2 months I dropped them and and began cooking for myself, based on just getting to know what was good and not good and I bought a few cook books for inspiration. Ditching sugar was a main issue, but the keto fat bombs saved my arse. I quit booze all together for 90 days, then switched to Titos, club and lemon. No sugar in it other than the alcohol.
Around Thanksgiving, I got off the track and allowed myself to enjoy the treats through the holidays, I'm now back on the wagon, 10lbs heavier. I doubt I'll make that decision again. I just felt like crap the whole time.

To the doubters, all I can say is it works. To the curmudgeons all I can say is not everyone spends 12 hours a day digging a ditch or building a house. We all have to work with what we were given. For many, it's a psychological issue, where as food has become a tool to deal with stress, depression, or something else. You have to re-evaluate your relationship with food entirely and come to understand the things we are given / taught by our parents were largely wrong. Sugar is poison. Wheat/Gluten is NOT good for you.
Salt, Fat, Protein, and a selection of Veggies (not all) and Fruit is actually NOT good for your body. The goal is to keep an even Blood Sugar level all day, any kind of carb will start the roller coaster.

Good post, and exactly what myself and many others have experienced. There is no doubt that low carb has many health benefits. I know its not an easy thing to do or even believe for some. We have been told for 50 years to believe animal products and fat are bad for us. That information was wrong, and science is proving it wrong. Once you are diagnosed with something like I was you have two choices. Take the drugs they are going to put you on; or do your own research and try changing your diet. I chose the diet, and Im glad I did. I had my first appointment ( over the phone) with a specialist since my diagnoses last April. (The long wait is another story entirely) Anyway he asked how I was doing, and what I was doing. When I told him, he said wow thats amazing because I was going to suggest you try the carnivore diet, or at least a very low carb diet. Jordan Peterson and his daughter are quite famous up here and both of them have been eating nothing but meat for years now for health reasons. The daughter has RA like I do and the diet has cured her. All I know is that I wish I had started it long ago, and would advise others to start before you have health issues.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Low carb? - 01/08/21 03:00 PM

Another great benefit of the keto/low carb lifestyle which, I don't believe has been touched on yet in this thread, is the mental clarity, high energy levels and near euphoric like feeling of mental well being and positivity.

Re: Low carb? - 01/08/21 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
Another great benefit of the keto/low carb lifestyle which, I don't believe has been touched on yet in this thread, is the mental clarity, high energy levels and near euphoric like feeling of mental well being and positivity.

Yes the extra energy was very noticeable for me about two weeks in. When the RA first hit I was out trapping with clients. It got so bad I could hardly drive a skidoo, and I couldnt skin at all. My right wrist was really messed up. At night it felt like someone was taking a blow torch to my joints. It got so bad I couldnt even brush my teeth with my right hand. Blood tests showed my CRP levels at 200! When all that just disappears after you stop eating most carbs you realize just how powerful and important diet really is.

I do believe stress can cause some of these things to materialize faster as well. Just before the RA hit the doctors had sent me to Vancouver for a prostrate biopsy. They got me into a pilot program that at the time I was thankful for because it meant I wouldnt have to wait. What I didnt know was that to speed things up and to make it more affordable they used no anesthetics. None. I have never felt pain like that before. I was screaming it was so bad. I finally asked the nurse to put a rag in my mouth so I could bite on it. She did too. They stuck that needle in at least 9 times, and every time it was like some sort of medieval torture. Sounds like a BS story I know, but it actually happened. Something I wont forget. Biopsy turned out OK so I was happy in the long run.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Low carb? - 01/08/21 04:18 PM

Just thought of another positive fringe benefit. Complete elimination of chronic heartburn. Pre keto/low carb I suffered from chronic heartburn directly linked to the consumption mostly of processed foods and any type of sugary or bakery type goods. Gone, completely gone on keto/low carb.

Re: Low carb? - 01/08/21 04:30 PM

After my first year of low carb I went to my Doc for a yearly physical. Every number they checked was for the better than the previous year (by a lot). Told him how much better every aspect of my life was. Then I told him the bulk of my diet was red meat/animal products. Could tell he got a little uncomfortable then gave the typical spiel about fruits/veg/whole grains, etc. He's not my Doc anymore.

Re: Low carb? - 01/08/21 04:44 PM

There are a lot of carb rich foods that are not processed foods. Good whole foods that offer a balanced diet of carbs/fats/proteins.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Low carb? - 01/08/21 04:44 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Heres what I ate to lose weight, try to eat 75% raw vegetables in your meals. Eat till your full. I lost 32lbs the 1st month and am down 55lbs now. Hope this helps someone. This was from a program through my health insurance along with a health coach. This works well you gotta want to do it. My dr says I need to lose a few more lbs as my glucose has been high for the last year.

Also drink 1/2 orange juice with a 1/4 teaspoon of pink sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tarter if you feel like your on a diet at the beginning.. This stuff really helped me with the headaches and being nauseous from getting off the crap processed foods I was eating. Hope this helps someone. Good luck!!!

My cholesterol has went down about 100 points now.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Low carb? - 01/08/21 05:43 PM

Low carb and I usually only eat 1 or 2 meals a day. Lost 120 lbs over last 3 years. You still have to keep calorie low if you want to lose weight. You can easily gain if you eat too much no matter how low the carb. I feel tremendously better on low carb whether I am losing weight or maintaining. Every so often I’ll cheat for a day or 2, like at deer camp, and I will feel miserable and bloated for days.

Decent low carb high fiber breads and wraps for fast meals occasionally, soups, stews and meats are always good. Just gotta drop the high carb veggies. Radish actually makes great potato sub in a soup or stew. The regular radish flavor is not present after stewing. Kinda like a low taste potato...
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Low carb? - 06/14/21 02:58 AM

I know this is old, had to search before I asked and started a new thread.
I wanted to lose some weight and my workouts and running just wasn’t cutting it so I did this 10 day Ketone Challenge. I decided with the drinks I’d be drinking that I would also change my diet as well…Ketone Diet, which has already been stated of high fat, med protein, and low to zero carbs.
Today is day number 11 and I won’t know how much weight I’ve lost until I hit the gym tomorrow, but I know I’ve lost. Even my wife has noticed in just 11 days.
It was sorta tough at first, but I made up my mind I’d try it for 10 days and by God I made it. I don’t want to call it a diet because it’s really not a diet. I’m just eating healthy foods now and my body is burning fat vs carbs. The hardest thing for me was giving up sweet tea and Mt. Dews. I was drinking 6-8 cans a day, lol.
Now I’m drinking water, one glass of V8 a day, and just found zero carbs/zero sugar Gatorade. At least it’s something other than water.
I do know for some reason I stay thirstier than before and can put away some water, lol. You’d think with all the water you’d get bloated, but I don’t. I sleep like a baby now. I mean sho’nuff lights out sleep.
It was tough figuring out foods I could and couldn’t eat, and it seems after a few days my tastebuds are different. Foods I wouldn’t consider before taste pretty dang good now. I’m not totally zero carbs yet, but try and keep it to below 25 grams a day. I really think the no/extremely low sugar is what changed my taste.
Just wanted to share incase anyone else was considering this eating change. I’ll post my weight loss tomorrow. I started on June 3 at 193 on the gym scales.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Low carb? - 06/14/21 03:31 AM

Congrats.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Low carb? - 06/14/21 03:38 AM

Yeah way to go, let us know what the scale says
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Low carb? - 06/14/21 01:40 PM

Sumner is a good time to start. Easier to reduce carbs with all the fresh veggies and fruits around. If you want a carb fix go with a wrap or an open face burger. Drink lots of water
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Low carb? - 06/14/21 02:37 PM

lost 30 in a month by accident just stopping breads because of diabetes. Now i wear jeans I couldnt wear in 4 yrs. Im 12 pounds above my high school weight at 62. I was lighter in s.e. asia just because of the foods,,exercise and sweat.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Low carb? - 06/14/21 03:05 PM

No potatoes or bread, two months I lost five lbs, that's all , I guess I wasn't eating too many carbs

Re: Low carb? - 06/14/21 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tactical.20
No potatoes or bread, two months I lost five lbs, that's all , I guess I wasn't eating too many carbs

well t20,,theres lots of carbs in other things too,,certain fruits and veggies even. Oranges have quite a bit....its not only carbs but calories that put on fat. If youre not over 50-55 you probably dont need to worry much. At 50 in philippines I was at 167 under my high school weight but then I was getting EXTREME workouts 4-5 times a day. Seems to me I remember you also doing carpet cleaning etc so You probably burn alot of calories.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Low carb? - 06/14/21 04:06 PM

A simple diet plan to follow is just shop on the outside aisle at the the grocery store. As already mentioned cut the sugar drinks out. Drink yer coffee black. Eat mustard not mayonnaise. Get active

Re: Low carb? - 06/14/21 04:58 PM

Ketosis requires more water, thats why you are more thirsty. You have to process more through your kidneys and they will require larger amounts of water. I can tell when I'm in and out of K based on how much my water intake changes. Upwards of 1 to 1.5 gallons a day when in K. It can be a tough lifestyle as eating out is limited and planning meals is essential to success. American cuisine is designed around carbs to fill you up cheaply.
Posted By: nyhuntfish

Re: Low carb? - 06/14/21 06:37 PM

This saved my life in 2012. This very piece that was on the tv. Here it is (I kept it for these instances):

https://www.trappersreport.com/story/Hunter-Trapper-Health_THE-SECRET-(1of3)

I'm doing it exactly to this day. See WilliamDavisMD on Twitter and his youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/WilliamDavisWheatBelly/videos

Re: Low carb? - 06/14/21 06:55 PM

I eat 4-5 meals a day. 3000 calories or so total, sometimes more but never much less.

Re: Low carb? - 06/14/21 07:18 PM

Since this was first posted in January I have watched a bunch of Dr podcasts on youtube concerning keto, leaky gut, and various other related medical things that can be controlled by eating differently. My original goal was to remove as much sugar from my diet as reasonable. That meant almost all starches, sugar, and alcohol (I never drank much anyway). But granola bars, sandwiches, grain and beans/legumes were big in my diet. I have always maintained my weight because I bike and weight train year around. Along with the trapping, lawn mowing, any wood cutting, etc.

The first guy I found on Youtube was Thomas De Lauer. Not a Dr but a knowledgeable keto guy. He posts something everyday.

Dr Steven Gundry, retired heart surgeon. Not full keto, but since retiring from doing heart surgery 20 years ago has been researching and practicing what he calls restorative medicine. New podcast every Friday.

Dr Mark Hyman, Cleveland Clinic. Still practicing, similar to Gundy in believing that most human illness is caused by the wrong type of diet and can for the most part be cured or controlled with the correct diet. I believe he also has a podcast and there is a portal on the Cleveland Clinic website where he can be found along with his staff for online information/help.

The two Dr's agree that a protein called "lectin" in many grains, legumes, and nightshade family vegetables cause many people problems. Of course, some people are also allergic to A1 milk protein.

Anyone can also go to lowcarbdownunder on Youtube and watch any of the posted seminar talks from any number of Dr's and researchers.

ALL HAVE ONE BELIEF IN COMMON. The standard American food pyramid is upside down. You want mostly fat (about 70%), moderate protein (20%), and a few carbs.

Hope this new information helps. And I apologize (not really) for keeping myself in good healthy condition my whole life. (I'll be 70 in early August.)
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Low carb? - 06/14/21 10:37 PM

You could lose 5# a week just drinking all the water you can with no other changes. when you drink water, your body has to process it at a faster pace, it speeds up your metabolism.

Re: Low carb? - 06/15/21 02:41 AM

Ok, got on the scales after eating a ham and cheese wrap and a 16oz water and I’ve lost 7# since I last weighed on June 3. But here’s the weird thing…lost .75 in my waist. Yeah I could’ve sucked it in and claimed more but I wasn’t sucking in when I took the first measurements so didn’t on this one.
I have stuck to my normal workouts and cardio throughout the process. I bet if I was to fast with no drink or water for 24hrs the weight would be lower, but why? I’m eating good and do it every couple of hours. Just don’t have the appetite like I had before. Sometimes I have to make myself eat just a little something just because it’s needed, lol. I’m a believer that to keep that metabolism going it needs something in there to attack. Cool thing is I found protein tortillas with only 3grams of carbs. Almonds and pistachios with some bacon are breakfast. A chicken salad or a wrap with tuna, chicken, salmon, or ham and all with mozzarella cheese is lunch. And I make myself eat a meat and generally green beans for an early supper. Always eat while I’m still active. As stated before water is my drink of choice, a small glass of V8 before my workouts, a Gatorade zero during my evening meal, then back to water the rest of the evening.

Re: Low carb? - 06/15/21 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner1960
You could lose 5# a week just drinking all the water you can with no other changes. when you drink water, your body has to process it at a faster pace, it speeds up your metabolism.

Hmmm, tried that before, didn’t work for me. All I felt then was bloated. May have been the foods I was eating. Guessing a large pizza and water wasn’t the ideal recipe.

Re: Low carb? - 06/15/21 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun

absolutely.... The fog lifts and your mind is in a better place.

Re: Low carb? - 06/15/21 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Ok, got on the scales after eating a ham and cheese wrap and a 16oz water and I’ve lost 7# since I last weighed on June 3. But here’s the weird thing…lost .75 in my waist. Yeah I could’ve sucked it in and claimed more but I wasn’t sucking in when I took the first measurements so didn’t on this one.
I have stuck to my normal workouts and cardio throughout the process. I bet if I was to fast with no drink or water for 24hrs the weight would be lower, but why? I’m eating good and do it every couple of hours. Just don’t have the appetite like I had before. Sometimes I have to make myself eat just a little something just because it’s needed, lol. I’m a believer that to keep that metabolism going it needs something in there to attack. Cool thing is I found protein tortillas with only 3grams of carbs. Almonds and pistachios with some bacon are breakfast. A chicken salad or a wrap with tuna, chicken, salmon, or ham and all with mozzarella cheese is lunch. And I make myself eat a meat and generally green beans for an early supper. Always eat while I’m still active. As stated before water is my drink of choice, a small glass of V8 before my workouts, a Gatorade zero during my evening meal, then back to water the rest of the evening.

Don't force yourself to eat. Eat when hungry, it'll work itself out. When I began I quickly got to where I ate breakfast and lunch, and that was it. No snacks, no dinner. You end up doing intermittent fasting without trying to.
Posted By: ScottW

Re: Low carb? - 06/15/21 06:47 PM

Nice reading all of this. I'm kind of a yoyo for health and weight myself. Just getting back in the wagon again. Last few years have been a little challenging having two kids and a sick wife for entire pregnancies. We get our first CSA farm share this week so will be rolling in the veggies for 17 weeks now, so that makes it a bit easier.

I will agree, water is pivotal. And for me, I sometimes just let her rip and do what I want such as when in vacation etc. My guts go in a funk for a couple days after but recover. Last summer I had a whole new wrench thrown in as I had two bouts with gout(I think.....never went to doctor) and now one more this year. I think I have that narrowed down to peanuts and possibly alcohol. I also did intermittent fasting for a solid year, then quit, and have kinda reverted back to it naturally.

I'm not as low carb as some of you, but when I'm thinking and planning what I eat I consume SIGNIFICANTLY less carbs and I I'm turn feel way better in general.

Keep at it everyone! Happy trapping! ScottW

Re: Low carb? - 06/17/21 01:34 PM

Scott, we leave for Texas next Wednesday for a family reunion. I’m sure my “diet” will be shot, lol. I plan on having a little fun!
But the good news is, I’ve seen what this way of eating can do and it won’t be hard to pick it back up once I’m home.

Re: Low carb? - 06/23/21 02:41 AM

Probably tired of this getting resurrected, but just an update. Down from 193 to 180 since June 3. Leave out tomorrow for a family reunion in Pottsboro Tx until Monday or Tuesday. Hoping they have some sort of fitness center at the resort because I’m gonna need it, lol. Still gonna try and watch my carbs, but I see a little cheating in my future. Maybe even something to drink besides water.
Posted By: ScottW

Re: Low carb? - 11/19/23 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by bhugo
Low carb and I usually only eat 1 or 2 meals a day. Lost 120 lbs over last 3 years. You still have to keep calorie low if you want to lose weight. You can easily gain if you eat too much no matter how low the carb. I feel tremendously better on low carb whether I am losing weight or maintaining. Every so often I’ll cheat for a day or 2, like at deer camp, and I will feel miserable and bloated for days.

Decent low carb high fiber breads and wraps for fast meals occasionally, soups, stews and meats are always good. Just gotta drop the high carb veggies. Radish actually makes great potato sub in a soup or stew. The regular radish flavor is not present after stewing. Kinda like a low taste potato...

That radish idea is very intriguing…..I’m gonna try that soon! Happy trapping! ScottW
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Low carb? - 11/19/23 07:42 PM

Like said meat. veggies and fruits for me no raw sugar, sweets, ice cream, potatoes, rice, or white breads. Its tough to eat perfect especially if you enjoy eating. Stevia liquid is about the best sweetener I’ve found in my research if you have heart issues stay away from the crystal sugar looking version of stevia the Erythritol added to make the crystals can be an issue some studies say.

For as long as diabetes has been researched the info out there is really substandard by todays standards with lots of gibberish and values that mean nothing, then one report counters the other reports with no clear directions that make much sense.

Somethings I’ve found that I do eat because I need to eat something to survive and tree bark doesn’t appeal to me. They are not perfect I’m sure but I’ve cut out a lot of things already that I really like so I’m only giving up so much I’m not living on rice cakes or oatmeal.

Bacon, eggs and wheat toast or oatmeal for breakfast PBJ with Smuckers sugar free jam (raspberry/ strawberry), double burger no fries for lunch, meat and veggies for dinner. Snacks sugar free cookies or fig bars popcorn, nuts or slim Jim’s for snacks.

Most info out there tells you what you can’t eat but little info is out there for a simple meal plan to go by. Info here varies from post to post so that’s confusing also. Salt, fat or sugars will kill you so your pick your poison or good luck finding a variety of foods that don’t contain any of the three.

The wife bought me a book “Food list for Diabetes” when it comes to meat they list 1oz portions well heck who eats 1oz of meat really. I feel for the guys with heart issues, cholesterol or salt problem limiting their options even more.

Re: Low carb? - 11/19/23 09:55 PM

I believe non enriched rice/pasta is not a problem for me if I use portion control, the same for natural honey....I think that oatmeal is a grain the same as whole wheat pasta. Anyone can have sensitivity to a food but you only find out what those are by doing a 100 day or longer elimination diet and then slowly adding in foods to see how you feel after eating them for a few days. But, you do need to be in tune with your body and realize that things effect different people in a different manner or maybe not at all...

Re: Low carb? - 11/20/23 01:26 AM

Those sugar alcohol sweeteners can turn a guy about inside out and it doesn’t take much. I took some Werthers hard candies elk hunting and they tasted great for being sugar free. They were smaller in size so I ate them throughout the day that was a big mistake I thought it was food poisoning they about had me doubled over a few times.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Low carb? - 11/20/23 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Like said meat. veggies and fruits for me no raw sugar, sweets, ice cream, potatoes, rice, or white breads. Its tough to eat perfect especially if you enjoy eating. Stevia liquid is about the best sweetener I’ve found in my research if you have heart issues stay away from the crystal sugar looking version of stevia the Erythritol added to make the crystals can be an issue some studies say.

For as long as diabetes has been researched the info out there is really substandard by todays standards with lots of gibberish and values that mean nothing, then one report counters the other reports with no clear directions that make much sense.

Somethings I’ve found that I do eat because I need to eat something to survive and tree bark doesn’t appeal to me. They are not perfect I’m sure but I’ve cut out a lot of things already that I really like so I’m only giving up so much I’m not living on rice cakes or oatmeal.

Bacon, eggs and wheat toast or oatmeal for breakfast PBJ with Smuckers sugar free jam (raspberry/ strawberry), double burger no fries for lunch, meat and veggies for dinner. Snacks sugar free cookies or fig bars popcorn, nuts or slim Jim’s for snacks.

Most info out there tells you what you can’t eat but little info is out there for a simple meal plan to go by. Info here varies from post to post so that’s confusing also. Salt, fat or sugars will kill you so your pick your poison or good luck finding a variety of foods that don’t contain any of the three.

The wife bought me a book “Food list for Diabetes” when it comes to meat they list 1oz portions well heck who eats 1oz of meat really. I feel for the guys with heart issues, cholesterol or salt problem limiting their options even more.

Your eating a high carb diet. You wont lower your blood sugar eating that.
, oatmeal is high carb, wheat toast is high carb, PBJs are high carb, popcorn is high carb, fruit is high carb, sugar free cookies are high carb, double burgers with buns are high carb, fig bars are .

And once again, salt is good for you and so is cholesterol. Dont worry about either. Should not be eating any snacks in between meals. and skip one meal a day of you want to speed things up.

Eat all the meat eggs, fish, seafood you want. all leafy vegies are ok, cauliflower and cabbage are good vegies.

Re: Low carb? - 11/20/23 03:55 AM

I’m a goner then I have to eat something I cut out a lot of my likes and gave up my favorites if I give up any more I’ll starve to death slowly. I’m down 30lb now that I did not plan on losing. Being a picky eater it’s been a problem from day 1 for me.

Re: Low carb? - 11/20/23 04:47 AM

If you lost 30 lbs your doing something right. Remember, high blood sugar is not from only eating sugar, its from your body turning carbs into sugar too. You cant just stop eating sugar its the whole grains as well.

Also, its not the end of the world to eliminate high carb foods. Plenty of good food to be had, just not grains. And it dont have to be permanant, just until you get back to normal weight and blood sugar then add back a few favorite foods as long as your healthy and dont go crazy.

You can pretty much forget packaged, diet foods, and sugar free. I would give up pop totally, nothing good there. Maybe have a beer once in while instead.

Re: Low carb? - 11/20/23 05:46 AM

1-2 Diet Dr. Peppers a day for me and coffee 2X a day then ice water the rest of the time. I was hitting the low salt chips for a while but quit them also. No diet meals for me the wife found some steam in the bag veggies that not bad tasting stuff. My next A1C test is in Jan will see what the outcome is then.
Posted By: Poorcoon

Re: Low carb? - 11/20/23 10:23 AM

Doing the two week low carb challenge. Two days left. As a recovering alcoholic I have just over 10 years sober. I was a moderate cigarette smoker pack every two days. I quit that two years ago. But quitting sugar is harder than both of those for me.

Re: Low carb? - 11/20/23 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Poorcoon
Doing the two week low carb challenge. Two days left. As a recovering alcoholic I have just over 10 years sober. I was a moderate cigarette smoker pack every two days. I quit that two years ago. But quitting sugar is harder than both of those for me.

Stopping sugar really messed with my head it did some crazy things to my brain and still impacts some functions of it. Had brain fog for several months and lost the ability to do simple math in my head and I am single focused on tasks now. My writing ability takes a lot of work and constant review to make any sense and don’t talk to me when I’m typing or doing something.

Daily function is fine so working or fixing stuff has not changed much physically I’m fine that way better then most my age. Short term memory is impacted the most the Doc said long term memory is different and not compromised because of the impact of the short term issue. I think my mistake was quitting sugar cold turkey but if I did not stop sugar I’d still be doing it maybe.

Re: Low carb? - 11/20/23 02:11 PM

Try having some honey, blueberries, banana or a sweet apple.....all sugar is not the devil...refined sugar is.

Re: Low carb? - 11/20/23 04:51 PM

If you have to drink diet soda, check the label. Make sure it isn't using Aspartame as a sweetener as many do. Go on the internet and check out the horrors of Aspartame.

Re: Low carb? - 11/20/23 05:54 PM

Try having some honey, blueberries, banana or a sweet apple.....all sugar is not the devil...refined sugar is.

Nope, all sugar bad if your trying to get healthy. its all the same thing, Its stored as fat in the liver. Not good.

Re: Low carb? - 11/20/23 06:42 PM

I am healthy already and see no issues with natural sugary foods. Humans been eating honey and fruits since the beginning of time.

Re: Low carb? - 11/20/23 06:52 PM

I was not talking about healthy people eating sugar that they will later burn off. I was talking about people that have stored fat in bad places and trying to lose it.

Honey is 1.5 times sweeter than table sugar, its stored as fat so you would actually be better off eating table sugar, by the way that's also natural. It comes from a plant just like honey does.

The reason our ancestors ate fruit and honey no problem is because there were no other carbs to eat, they were not overweight, and it was in season, not a daily food group.

Re: Low carb? - 11/20/23 08:12 PM

No way is anyone better off eating refined sugar vs honey....jmo.

eating processed foods is the problem..eating natural foods is not how people got health issues/obese.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Low carb? - 11/20/23 08:23 PM

I am a diabetic and diet sodas are just as bad for you in there own way as regular sodas.

Re: Low carb? - 11/20/23 08:27 PM

Anything that is processed is bad for you.

Re: Low carb? - 11/20/23 08:43 PM

No way is anyone better off eating refined sugar vs honey....jmo.

eating processed foods is the problem..eating natural foods is not how people got health issues/obese.

I am beekeeper and I sure wanted honey to be good for me, but in fact it is not. Its good if you if you have allergies and you eat local honey, and don't have blood sugar issues or heart problems. Its sweet and spikes your blood sugar worse than sugar. That's a fact, not an opinion.
Originally Posted by rex123
I am a diabetic and diet sodas are just as bad for you in there own way as regular sodas.

Yup, that's what I heard too.

Re: Low carb? - 11/20/23 08:51 PM

Thankfully I have no blood sugar issues or heart problems...so honey is not an issue. Eating processed food/refined sugar is an issue and how many people develop these problems. Honey never killed anyone but soda pop has...jmo.

Re: Low carb? - 11/21/23 07:03 AM

Its all processed sugar. Bees' process nectar into concentrated form of liquid sugar we call honey. Its more processed and condensed than white table sugar is.

Sugar comes from the juice of sugar cane processed down into concentrated form and dried, much of it is in syrup form just like honey.

Fruit sugar is also processed by nature and sunshine to ripen a concentrated liquid form of sugar juice naturally.

All three will spike your blood sugar the same. No exception. It dont matter if it was hand squeezed by Mother Teresa herself. It will still give you diabetes. NMO.

Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Low carb? - 11/21/23 10:34 AM

the thing about no carbs that I was surprise the most was with, and I didn't eat many carbs to start with [I thought] was the cravings the first 4-5 days was terrible. How it's really easy eating low carbs, everyone tells me that they can see it in my face that I lost weight, guess I had a fat face lol, I never knew.

Re: Low carb? - 11/21/23 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
the thing about no carbs that I was surprise the most was with, and I didn't eat many carbs to start with [I thought] was the cravings the first 4-5 days was terrible. How it's really easy eating low carbs, everyone tells me that they can see it in my face that I lost weight, guess I had a fat face lol, I never knew.

Same here Roy,,,thin face now like when I was young!

Re: Low carb? - 11/21/23 01:29 PM

I will take sugar that is processed via mother nature every time over sugar that is processed by man. The same as I use tallow I make versus seed oils..and peanut butter that is see the peanuts ground up versus some processed peanut butter....and the list goes on.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Low carb? - 11/21/23 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff
Its all processed sugar. Bees' process nectar into concentrated form of liquid sugar we call honey. Its more processed and condensed than white table sugar is.

Sugar comes from the juice of sugar cane processed down into concentrated form and dried, much of it is in syrup form just like honey.

Fruit sugar is also processed by nature and sunshine to ripen a concentrated liquid form of sugar juice naturally.

All three will spike your blood sugar the same. No exception. It dont matter if it was hand squeezed by Mother Teresa herself. It will still give you diabetes. NMO.

I always heard that the fiber in some fruits, like apples, slows down the sugar absorption so way less likely to spike BS. That’s why orange juice or apple juice will spike BS, the fiber is removed. Is that not so Jeff?

Re: Low carb? - 11/21/23 02:47 PM

You cannot get much agreement on what to eat or not eat just look on the internet one article says bad the next says it’s not only OK but it’s good for you. A lot of info says don’t eat this or that but gives little info on what to eat. Most info is useless to what you can eat with little real options for a week of meals a guy traveling would be very hungry pretty quickly.

The last book the wife picked up had assigned values to the foods they listed like 1 oz of meat 1/2 cup of this or that it just made no sense to make a realistic menu from the information offered. I don’t see many menu ideas being offered just useless values that mean little to nothing. If you took all of the don't eat advice and added the food items that some say eat and others say don’t eat paper plates would be the only meal option. LOL

One thing you notice on this subject is the lack of dependable references, articles, resources or menus being readily available to people today. It’s amazing with all of the research that’s been done and billions spent on research so little usable info is available today.

Why is no company not getting rich packaging real meal alternatives with the years of research that’s been studied? Is it because they don’t know or they just can’t agree on the info they are coming up with?

Re: Low carb? - 11/21/23 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Trapset

I always heard that the fiber in some fruits, like apples, slows down the sugar absorption so way less likely to spike BS. That’s why orange juice or apple juice will spike BS, the fiber is removed. Is that not so Jeff?

The same with potatoes a smaller baked potato is OK in one article then eat nothing white comes up (white death) in the next. It seems people are quick to tell a person what not to eat but slow to offer reasonable options of what you can eat. Very confusing and depressing with the lack of info available in this day and age.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Low carb? - 11/21/23 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

Why is no company not getting rich packaging real meal alternatives with the years of research that’s been studied? Is it because they don’t know or they just can’t agree on the info they are coming up with?

I think it’s the addiction factor. They could never sell enough good food to make any money because we wouldn’t eat enough of it. It would be like taking the nicotine out of smokes, most people would get by on one or two a day. No money in that. Maybe add nicotine to good food????
Posted By: bodycount

Re: Low carb? - 11/21/23 03:21 PM

Maybe the zero sugar sodas are ok in moderation.

Re: Low carb? - 11/21/23 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by bodycount
Maybe the zero sugar sodas are ok in moderation.

I do 1-2 diet Dr Pepper’s a day 2 in the warmer months then 1 in the winter months with 1-2 cups of coffee if it’s not too hot for the 2nd cup later in the day.

The pop goes over a big glass of ice then I have ice water for the rest of the day so I get my water in because water keeps the plumbing working like it should.

Re: Low carb? - 11/21/23 04:27 PM

Eat zero processed food/drink. Eat all natural foods with a good macro ratio, be active and consume the correct amount of calories for your activity level.

Re: Low carb? - 11/21/23 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Trapset

They say that you can subtract fiber from carbs to slow the absorption, but guess what, you still it absorbed high carbs, and your blood sugar will be high from it, just not as fast.

Once again, if you reading package labels and trying to find something to eat low carb, you dont get it. You have to cook your own food or just eat protein and vegies at a restaurant. Its that simple.

No rice, sugar, no potatoes, bread, noodles. If you can just do that you can drop a lot of weight and get healthy

Re: Low carb? - 11/21/23 06:40 PM

I will take sugar that is processed via mother nature every time over sugar that is processed by man.

Actually, I would too. But I would not expect it to make me healthy and be good for me. Honey may have health benefits, but if you have a have a stroke or heart attack from it, you wont be around to enjoy the benefits, that's not my opinion, it's a fact.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Low carb? - 11/21/23 06:53 PM

I eat radishes, cauliflower, asparagus, Chilis both spicy and bell peppers, green beans, brussel sprouts.. Occasionally a bottle of beer or glass of wine A few carrots here and there along with parsnips and turnip (Go real easy on parsnip)Leafy stuff like lettuce cabbage and spinach. Cheese (not cheese food) Meat eggs and fish to fill up. Its working for me.
Posted By: nyhuntfish

Re: Low carb? - 11/21/23 07:47 PM

13 years ago this video changed my life and I haven't looked back. It is the "low carb" answer, and hopefully the answer to whatever disease of internal inflammation that runs in one's family.

https://www.trappersreport.com/story/Hunter-Trapper-Health_THE-SECRET-(1of3)

Re: Low carb? - 11/21/23 09:21 PM

I will take sugar that is processed via mother nature every time over sugar that is processed by man.

Actually, I would too. But I would not expect it to make me healthy and be good for me. Honey may have health benefits, but if you have a have a stroke or heart attack from it, you wont be around to enjoy the benefits, that's not my opinion, it's a fact.

laugh

Re: Low carb? - 11/22/23 09:27 AM

Im down to 158 now...thats too low for me. Im eating a few carbs now...10-15. Had cabbage and corned beef for dinner with a bit of my home grown summer squash in it. (my only meal)last night. Lady i know in town told me Steve you better stop losing weight!

Re: Low carb? - 11/22/23 12:08 PM

Search for Podcasts for any of the following functional Dr's.

Dr Robert Lustig. He'll explain ALL about sugar. Honey is fructose. Not the same as table sugar.

Dr Steven Gundry. He goes way more veggie diet type than the rest. Former world known heart surgeon.

Dr Ken Berry. Dr. Ken Berry Proper Human Diet Guide

Remember. Low carb is just that. As I have stated before, that equals less than 130grs of carbs per day.
If you are excercising, whether running, long walks, bicycling, trapping, or weight training (the best) you will burn some carbs.

Every body type is different. But the one thing all Dr's agree on is that sugar is bad. In any form, and carbs get converted to sugar.

Lawdog, or anyone, try adding cheese and bacon to your diet. If you don't have enough fat with your food intake you will get hungry.

Re: Low carb? - 11/22/23 12:09 PM

P.S. I'm glad lots of you folks are getting yourselves medically more healthy.

You can enjoy life more.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums