Home

Mark June

Posted By: Bruce T

Mark June - 01/08/21 03:19 AM

Was wondering what your favorite trap was for bobcats and your set up if you don't mind?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Mark June - 01/08/21 03:31 AM

Bruce,
We're off to use more of both of these at a ranch north of Freer, TX starting tomorrow.

I use the MB550OS 2-coil on all cats, and I use waxed dirt if need be.
My favorite set is a walk through where I throw the kitchen sink at them, because all cats are valuable and I don't care to miss them.
Bait - lure - turds - urine - visual are all in the mix.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Mark June - 01/08/21 03:32 AM

Thank you.You use certain stakes?length of chains?Good luck trapping.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Mark June - 01/08/21 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mark June
Bruce,
We're off to use more of both of these at a ranch north of Freer, TX starting tomorrow.

My favorite set is a walk through where I throw the kitchen sink at them, because all cats are valuable and I don't care to miss them.

Blessings,
Mark

Is there anything wrong with regular full closure cast jaw 550's?
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Mark June - 01/08/21 02:09 PM

Same as Mark here. Offset jaws as required. My wife uses the 450 offsets and they do a good job also.

Re: Mark June - 01/08/21 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by YamaCat
Same as Mark here. Offset jaws though as required. My wife uses the 450 offsets and they do a good job also.

What length chain on your bobcat sets.

Re: Mark June - 01/08/21 02:15 PM

Bruce, we use 99% drags, so our chain length is close to 9’. When I do stake, I’ll attach between 18” and 5’, depending on the situation.

Re: Mark June - 01/08/21 02:23 PM

Bruce, we use 99% drags, so our chain length is close to 9’. When I do stake, I’ll attach between 18” and 5’, depending on the situation.

Thanks.Never even dawned on me to use drags as they are now outlawed here in northern Maine.Will have to check regulations in Kansas where I want to trap.

Re: Mark June - 01/08/21 02:36 PM

I enjoy the “thrill of the Hunt” that the drag provides. Small fun lines only !! Sometimes too time consuming for production lines like Mark is running.

Re: Mark June - 01/08/21 03:01 PM

Sometimes up a tree.... grin
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Mark June - 01/08/21 03:10 PM

Yes,sometime's up a tree!!!!!!!!!!! That's what's an axe is for.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Mark June - 01/08/21 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T

Thanks.Never even dawned on me to use drags as they are now outlawed here in northern Maine.Will have to check regulations in Kansas where I want to trap.

To my knowledge, nothing here says you can't. Although, if your trapped animal goes into another property, that landowner can keep you out. It is your right to pursue your catch, but their right supersedes yours.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Mark June - 01/08/21 03:28 PM

x2 on the drags- to simplify those walkthru sets Mark uses a lot of guys like me will also use modified DLS traps exposed with the drag as waxed dirt is no longer needed. While I use different gear I do agree with Mark Junes 'throw the kitchen sink at them' approach. I want cats to have a multitude of reasons to step on my pan.

I also like shock springs (this is me getting Mark "Mister 7 cats in a day" riled up!
grin

Re: Mark June - 01/08/21 09:21 PM

Riled Up!!! grin
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Mark June - 01/08/21 10:39 PM

I think that the MB550 OS is about as good as they come. I have 3 dozen purchased over the last couple of years.

Usually on about 12" of chain and 2 swivels. And earth anchored in about 18" usually.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Mark June - 01/09/21 12:32 AM

Was wondering what your favorite trap was for bobcats and your set up if you don't mind?

Man you really want to move to Kansas eh! Lol
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Mark June - 01/09/21 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by seniortrap
I think that the MB550 OS is about as good as they come. I have 3 dozen purchased over the last couple of years.

Usually on about 12" of chain and 2 swivels. And earth anchored in about 18" usually.

I picked up 21 of them this year.(all they had in stock.) I'm really liking them. Thay are much easier on feet than my bridger #2dogless. But the bridgers do sit lower and bed just a little easier. Or maybe I just have more experience with them so it seems that way?

Re: Mark June - 01/09/21 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

He's clicking his red heels together

Re: Mark June - 01/09/21 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

Yep...lol the choice has finally been made and the wheels are in motion. grin

Re: Mark June - 01/09/21 12:47 AM

If I didnt want to be close to the 8 Grandkids I'd move in a heartbeat

Re: Mark June - 01/09/21 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
If I didnt want to be close to the 8 Grandkids I'd move in a heartbeat

Wife now has family in Kansas....I'm using this to my advantage. wink

Re: Mark June - 01/09/21 02:18 AM

There goes the neighborhood! grin

Re: Mark June - 01/09/21 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
There goes the neighborhood! grin

Yep.....never be the same grin
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Mark June - 01/09/21 02:42 AM

We don't mind a few coming here, but we don't need a bunch of the liberal mindset individuals that will disrupt our perfectly good red state mantra!

Re: Mark June - 01/09/21 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
We don't mind a few coming here, but we don't need a bunch of the liberal mindset individuals that will disrupt our perfectly good red state mantra!

If only Laurence would burn one more time LOL

Re: Mark June - 01/09/21 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Yukon John

There's a few on here that you don't want there then

Re: Mark June - 01/09/21 11:46 AM

Thank you.You use certain stakes?length of chains?Good luck trapping.

Took me a minute to get on TMan as yesterday (and today) are set new traps days on a ranch.

I use the 16" stock super stake chain stakes with 5 links cut off.

Love 'em.

Re: Mark June - 01/09/21 11:48 AM

Bruce,

Blessings,
Mark

Is there anything wrong with regular full closure cast jaw 550's?

I don't care for a full closure as IME they're a tad rougher on the paw blood flow in case I have to release something.

Re: Mark June - 01/09/21 03:07 PM

Thanks for the information Mark.

Re: Mark June - 01/09/21 03:13 PM

Do you think Mark you miss any toe caught animals at all with OS? I can see it happening
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Mark June - 01/09/21 03:27 PM

I dont run offset traps but it doesn't seem like the offset is big enough on most traps that the jaws would contact each other with a bobcat or coyote foot in the trap. If the jaws aren't touching each other wouldn't the jaws be putting the same amount of pressure on the foot ? Also seems like sliding back and forth in the jaws causes more damage than anything, so it would seem the tighter a foot is held the less damage. I read that they prefer traps with teeth on wolves for relocation because a puncture wound cause less damage than the sliding back and forth. At least that's what was written by one biologists involved with wolves wrote.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Mark June - 01/09/21 03:47 PM

Offset or closed jaws you will always lose a few VERY FEW toe caught animals,the only traps i own that are not offset are 1 1/2 coils and MB 450's for coon ,mink or muskrat trapping.I think you get more damaged from no offset as for the paw sliding back in fourth you will have very little of that if your lock up is good.As for the toothed traps for wolf research the teeth allows the foot not to get as inflamed and drains the paw better,they give the wolves penaciline sp for any infection that might come from the captured animal.Thats my take on it,i know one of the biologist in Montana that does a fair amount of wolf research,they use LPC #7,MB 750's and a few Sterling 800's that was a few years ago.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Mark June - 01/09/21 03:53 PM

Thanks for the input Rick. Does the jaws contact each other on most catches with offsets or does the foot normally still hold the jaws from being completely closed?
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Mark June - 01/10/21 02:39 AM

[Linked Image]
This is and offset 550 Duke, very similar to the MB, and this cat is held by 2 toes. I have held a fair amount of cats and k-9 the same. My experience is that they don't pull out. I bought all MB 550s a some years ago and wouldn't want to trade them. I bought Duke 550 this year just to try. I bought the MBs on mark june's recommendation. Thanks Mark, great advice as always.

Re: Mark June - 01/10/21 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by strike2x
[Linked Image]
This is and offset 550 Duke, very similar to the MB, and this cat is held by 2 toes. I have held a fair amount of cats and k-9 the same. My experience is that they don't pull out. I bought all MB 550s a some years ago and wouldn't want to trade them. I bought Duke 550 this year just to try. I bought the MBs on mark june's recommendation. Thanks Mark, great advice as always.

Nice catch
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Mark June - 01/10/21 03:30 AM

Bruce,,,you gonna get a little dog named Toto? smile
Posted By: Swifty

Re: Mark June - 01/10/21 04:01 AM

You moving to Kansas? If so, what part of the state? If you move to the west part, you might bring some photos of trees with you. Otherwise, you might forget what they look like (except in town). grin

Re: Mark June - 01/10/21 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
Bruce,,,you gonna get a little dog named Toto? smile

Lol.....nope grin

Re: Mark June - 01/10/21 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Swifty

You moving to Kansas? If so, what part of the state? If you move to the west part, you might bring some photos of trees with you. Otherwise, you might forget what they look like (except in town). grin

Southwest.Thats fine.... grin

Re: Mark June - 01/10/21 05:02 AM

[Linked Image]

Superb photo

Re: Mark June - 01/12/21 01:02 AM

[Linked Image]

Superb photo

I'm surprised you took a sec to snap a pic! You must have been at your kitty limit for the season wink

Re: Mark June - 01/12/21 01:06 AM

Big coyote day today with the Mrs. scoring a double of dogs herself. I have to jog hard to keep up with her.
Hardest part of this country is everywhere looks about the same and everywhere looks pretty inviting to set traps.
But I learned years ago....
Only set the sign.
Tracks last 1,000 years in this ground.

Donna celebrates her coyote double. We saw one from a distance as I was remaking a set, and when we pulled up close... BINGO, another double.

[Linked Image]

Lee, your Death Ray is awesome brother!
[Linked Image]

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Mark June - 01/12/21 01:13 AM

Awesome Mark!
Congrats to your Wife!!!

Re: Mark June - 01/12/21 01:22 AM

Nice catches.Congrats to the both of you.

Re: Mark June - 01/12/21 02:19 AM

I was thinking today about all the mods and better equipment we use today than we used to. From my Leggett trapping bag, to the MB 550's, to Lee's Death Ray, to Ron Marsh's J-hook tool, to the double fluted auger from PCS, and on and on....

life is easier with good equipment!

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Mark June - 01/12/21 02:20 AM

Sure is.

Re: Mark June - 01/13/21 02:43 AM

Donna caught all females today.
The Alpha female won all three times.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I had to step in and help her dispatch one of the female coyotes for the Mrs. as the 2 year old female coyotes was going bonkers!

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Mark June - 01/13/21 02:50 AM

Great Job!!!
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Mark June - 01/13/21 02:58 AM

She keeps that up you will be doing the cooking at the next academy. Lol
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Mark June - 01/13/21 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Pawnee

Lol, thats good!

Re: Mark June - 01/13/21 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Pawnee

Trust me Pawnee, if that happens, there may be a mutiny. Unless the trappers don't mind PB&J for breakfast, lunch, and supper grin
I'm not opposed to wearing an apron...
Um. Let me retract that statement.
I am opposed.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Mark June - 01/13/21 11:28 AM

When we finished up the line last night around sunset, the Mrs. made a 2-punch set and the spacing/fencing/set up was so well laid out, it just made this old fart soft in the heart. She stood up, I was just smiling and after she put her gear in the buggie, we just gave each other a big old hug in the middle of 7,000 acres with the sun going down, the coyotes singing on the neighboring ranch, the meadowlarks making music as well, and we confirmed to each other then and there we did not meet by any accident at all. We make each other holy, her and I, and that was all an arrangement of the Grandest design. We never forget that as it keeps us bonded and humbled to each other.

I then I told her flat out, I'm having fun taking pics of her catches. Keep it up! Do not stop. laugh

Blessings!
Mark

Re: Mark June - 01/13/21 12:29 PM

Awesome Mark.Congrats to you and your wife.That bobcat is sure a pretty one.You and your wife are truly blessed.True love at its finest.What a inspiration to us all.

Re: Mark June - 01/13/21 12:37 PM

Thanks Bruce. We aren't perfection, that's for sure, but we try and remind each other, when things go a bit sideways, that we are a team in the eyes of our Lord.
We know that our differences make the other stronger for the experience, and not as is too often the case: one is right and the other is wrong.
Where do we get that belief?
Not from ourselves, I can assure you.

Blessings to ME from TX!
Mark

Re: Mark June - 01/13/21 12:43 PM

Two people united as one.Heart,body and soul.Gods grand plan.True Love=Helping each other to heaven.On top of that what a trapping pair you two make.Awesome Awesome

Re: Mark June - 01/14/21 01:09 AM

She beat me today. And one cat was just a hog hog hog.
Her 4 cats and 1 coyote to my 3 coyotes and 2 cats.
That's it....
tomorrow she finds her own spots!!

Oh wait, she already does.
I sure love my polish bride wink

[Linked Image]

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Mark June - 01/14/21 01:11 AM

Lol....yep 4 of a kind always beats a full house.Congrats to the both of you.

Re: Mark June - 01/14/21 02:11 AM

You should have got a picture of that thing beside the coyote- it looks as big or bigger!

Re: Mark June - 01/14/21 02:15 AM

What a pile of bobcats.Congrats.

Re: Mark June - 01/14/21 02:18 AM

Oh that's no record- not for my neighbor! grin

Re: Mark June - 01/14/21 09:17 AM

We're shooting for 200 kitties this year as they are more plentiful and the Mrs. is in full catch mode. Rabbits are at high cycle right now it seems so the bobcats are living high.

Re: Mark June - 01/14/21 01:58 PM

We're shooting for 200 kitties this year as they are more plentiful and the Mrs. is in full catch mode. Rabbits are at high cycle right now it seems so the bobcats are living high.

What a Blast to Trap in an environment like that!!!

I hope you both prevail
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Mark June - 01/14/21 02:20 PM

Is your wife a Michigan girl? You said she is Polish.

Re: Mark June - 01/14/21 02:22 PM

Awesome

Re: Mark June - 01/14/21 11:48 PM

She beat me today. And one cat was just a hog hog hog.
Her 4 cats and 1 coyote to my 3 coyotes and 2 cats.
That's it....
tomorrow she finds her own spots!!

Oh wait, she already does.
I sure love my polish bride wink

[Linked Image]

Blessings,
Mark

Would be great to see a put-up picture of that biggen. The belly looks Wide.

Re: Mark June - 01/15/21 12:59 AM

Would be great to see a put-up picture of that biggen. The belly looks Wide.

Wide and clear unless it has one heck of bridge I can't see. Awesome cat.

Mark- I am glad to see you two kids having a little fun. If you catch 200 cats I promise to quit sending everyone links to Clint Locklear's Youtube videos. It is the least I could do
grin
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Mark June - 01/15/21 01:08 AM

Cool Pic
Posted By: Boco

Re: Mark June - 01/15/21 01:22 AM

Nice pile of cats.The one in front looks big.

Re: Mark June - 01/15/21 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by seniortrap
Is your wife a Michigan girl? You said she is Polish.

She and I are both Michiganders by birth. I lived in the Fenton/Swartz Creek area for 45 years and Donna grew up in Imlay City, MI. Most of her family still lives in Lapeer and Imlay City.

Re: Mark June - 01/15/21 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Nice pile of cats.The one in front looks big.

It's a real hog for this region. Papa bear. I'll skin him Saturday as we're concentrating on extending the line on about 12 square miles of high fenced ranch here in South Texas.
Donna is pushing this old fart and she smiles each and every time she lines up her critters.

[Linked Image]

We prefer to tag team the coyotes however! Usually one of us is doing a bait/lure combo while the other is using turds and some good goo on that.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Mark June - 01/15/21 02:37 AM

Nice Mark. Keep after them

Re: Mark June - 01/15/21 01:31 PM

Nice catches and pictures.

Re: Mark June - 01/18/21 01:34 AM

A male bobcat today is as pretty as they get here!

A leopard.
Ain't this one a dandy!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Mark June - 01/18/21 01:38 AM

That is a beautiful bobcat.Have never seen one like that.Congrats.

Re: Mark June - 01/18/21 01:39 AM

Here's my best bobcat ever

[Linked Image]

Re: Mark June - 01/18/21 01:41 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Mark June - 01/18/21 01:51 AM

A leopard.
Ain't this one a dandy!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gods artwork!

Re: Mark June - 01/18/21 01:52 AM

South Texas bobcats are known for unique markings and although biologists insist endangered ocelots can't mate with a bobcat, these bobcats resemble that type of progeny.
We call them little leopards.

But all bobcats are nice. Real nice.

Re: Mark June - 01/18/21 01:55 AM

A leopard.
Ain't this one a dandy!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Wouldn't I love to catch a bobcat spotted like that and have Posco's taxidermist mount it.

Re: Mark June - 01/18/21 02:01 AM

South Texas bobcats are known for unique markings and although biologists insist endangered ocelots can't mate with a bobcat, these bobcats resemble that type of progeny.

Exactly what they look like!

Re: Mark June - 01/18/21 04:15 PM

[Linked Image]

I'm betting a 20 Donna caught that one! grin

Re: Mark June - 01/18/21 08:44 PM

I'd say so too!

Sorry , Mark

Re: Mark June - 01/18/21 08:48 PM

Lol.....my money is on mark grin

Re: Mark June - 01/18/21 11:57 PM

I am sure Mark is fine with her makin amazing catches- if he can't claim to be a great trapper that day he can brag about his teachin' skills!

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 12:04 AM

Xactly

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 12:05 AM

Lol.....I'm thinking if she had caught it he would have already said so.....Of course I'm just guessing. grin
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 12:07 AM

Why wouldn't they be able to mate with a bobcat? Is there any biological reason they can't mate and have offspring? Both are of the cat family. Just curious if anyone knows.

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
[Linked Image]

I'm betting a 20 Donna caught that one! grin

Pay up LL. Twas in my set grin
I'm back at seminary in Dallas. Got up at 1:45 am and motored 7 hours north.
Donna checked the line and it was a 5 cat day plus a few coyotes to boot.
We're on a 4.5 cats per day pace these last 26 days but our dandies are all going to private buyers. We're shipping out in coolers like no year previously. I don't know why so many of these cats are dandies this year. Rabbit population is at high tide is my guess.
Almost all male coyotes right now as breeding is commencing.

I sure have a good woman!
I'll motor back down Wednesday around midnight and run the line end of the week and this weekend.
Go-go-go is our Motto!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 02:05 AM

Way to go Mark.Congrats
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 02:07 AM

Looking at those pictures ive no clue how your catching anything, all of your sets are out of location, ahhaha

I STILL haven't caught one of those ocelot looking cats! I can win the award of ugliest cat ever caught though, lol.

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 02:10 AM

Thats Awesome Donna...way to take the fall for Mark wink
Posted By: Arkansas87

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 02:56 AM

Mark do you remember me you and grady where talking at the convention in malvern about how we thought some of your ocelote cats made it up this way? We caught another one this year that was the best looking one so far

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 02:59 AM

He is almost a blue color.

Attached File
2021-01-18 20.57.14.png  (72 downloads)

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 03:00 AM

I don't know why that pic did that but you can se it if ya click on it

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 03:00 AM

Looks like yall been doing awsome mark!

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Arkansas87

What a Beautiful Cat!

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 03:27 AM

Tony,
Wow, how'd I let that one outta Texas!
That's a beauty and they are not common.

I know there's a woman here in south Texas who sells bred ocelot/bobcat kittens.
Maybe some have escaped.
Like pythons grin

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Arkansas87

Beauty

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 03:43 AM

You can let a few more slip up this way anytime mark!

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 11:00 AM

I'm sure there's a few more and we can both nab our share.
I'm getting the hang of this cat trapping grin

Blessings wink
Mark
Posted By: J Staton

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 11:07 AM

That is a pretty cat 87. Why don't y'all let some of those make it further north. Seems to be only rabbit backs up here.
Seeing all those cats have me wanting to set for them but I'm still in the water this year.

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 11:16 AM

JS,

Put your hip boots away, grab some MJ lures, and let's go!
Dry land brother. Dry land.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 12:03 PM

I have gotten into the live market this year for coyotes. So I will be able to trap later this year not having to worry about fur quality. And I started a new job where I will have 4 days off a week so should work out pritty good

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 12:05 PM

Yea mark I been wacking them on that free food set you showed us with the smokey poast lure.I love it. Fast simple and affective!

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 12:11 PM

Here's a couple

Attached File
2021-01-19 06.09.50.png  (67 downloads)
Attached picture 2021-01-19 06.09.05.png

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 12:12 PM

This is my trapping lady. My wife will ride along but dosnt get into it like my little helper lol

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by J Staton
That is a pretty cat 87. Why don't y'all let some of those make it further north. Seems to be only rabbit backs up here.
Seeing all those cats have me wanting to set for them but I'm still in the water this year.

They make it up here but it's a long trip and they loose all their spots on the way north

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Mark June - 01/19/21 05:28 PM

That's a big un Bruce T!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums