Home

How do you like to cook your beaver

Posted By: Providence Farm

How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 04:58 AM

My wife told me the kids are waiting to try beaver so I took the kit I caught this morning cut out the back strip and leg quarters. I figured a young one would be better like everything else.

What are your favorite ways to prepare beaver.
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 05:02 AM

I like using the hind quarters like a roast. But cube the meat and fried like venison is real good too.

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 05:07 AM

If it's as good as I hear I see a lot more beaver traping in my future. Now I only target them when asked becuse they are a problem. I'm going to have yo get faster at skinning them though.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 05:21 AM

Canned is tough to beat, can't tell the difference between beaver or venison. Over rice or noodles is excellent.
A cheap and easy stew is beef flavored Romin noodles, a hand full of frozen mixed vegetables and a half a pint of canned beaver. If it's fresh I do like Trap Setter. Slow roasted in a crockpot is top knotch. Just about any way you can do beef works with beaver.
Posted By: bob maier

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 06:37 AM

I use a crock pot. Back legs front legs and back straps. Cook until the meat falls off the bones,shred meat put back in crock pot w favorite bbq sauce. Very tasty!,
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 06:46 AM

Dusting stew pieces of backstrap with flour, salt and pepper, browning in a dutch oven and then adding carrots, onions, potatoes, cabbage, canned or frozen corn, tomatoes, green pepper, garlic, and pearled barley. For liquid I like to use Pacific organic beef or vegetable broth.

Stew until tender, about 45 minutes. The leftovers are invariably better the next day.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 08:00 AM

I like it boiled off the bone . Then pull the meat like pulled pork . Add some BBQ sauce to the meat .
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 09:50 AM

all sounds good ,I like it dry rub with seasoning set over night then slow smoked ,and pulled like [pork] , add BBQ sauce , that the way we had it at are last month trapper's meeting smile
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 10:33 AM

Wife makes stew in the crock pot. She bones it out. I know there is lots of tomato in there. Other stew stuff like onions and potato's. Reminds me of beef.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 10:59 AM

Cooked in the Crock-Pot till almost falling apart. Pull out and cool. Then put on grill with BBQ sauce. I do the same with woodchuck back legs.
Posted By: Cameron Kelsey

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 11:31 AM

It makes a really good stew.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 11:47 AM

[Linked Image]
I cook the backstraps just like a piece of steak....fried in some butter or lard to medium, just salt and pepper. Nothing better. I use the hams in all kinds of stuff, just like you would beef. Pot roast, general tsos beaver, beaver and beans, I've even made beaver ham before.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 12:10 PM

quartered and in the smoker.

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 01:09 PM

Do you speak it in water to remove some blood for 24hrs. Is cooking well done a must or is rare safe to eat ?

I generally prefer beef and deer medium rare but want to be sure that they don't have parasites that would make that a bad idea 4 beaver.
Posted By: Osky

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 02:08 PM

Flat skillet like Goosee....fry the tail up for breakfast.

Osky
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Osky
Flat skillet like Goosee....fry the tail up for breakfast.

Osky

[Linked Image]
I don't like the tails but my oldest daughter loves em. I need to try them in some beans, I hear they're good that way.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 05:34 PM

My wife made it just like pot roast. We used the hind quarters and backstraps from one that was about 30 pounds. She browned it with carrots, onions, and celery in a cast iron pan. Then put it in a dutch oven and added some beef broth. Toward the end she added in potatoes. It was fantastic! She then took the meat, potatoes, and carrots and made it into a stew.

I was very careful when skinning it to not contaminate the meat with castor.

Moosetrot

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Do you speak it in water to remove some blood for 24hrs. Is cooking well done a must or is rare safe to eat ?

I generally prefer beef and deer medium rare but want to be sure that they don't have parasites that would make that a bad idea 4 beaver.

There is very little blood in the meat . Soaking in water is a waste of time and potentially hazardous.

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 05:40 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 05:52 PM

In large chunks I cook in crock pot. I've totally ground up a couple large ones and pre made burger patties. Put a piece of freezer paper between them and freeze. My son and I ate all the burgers before eating any of the bigger pieces.
Posted By: Boco

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 06:06 PM

I like it cooked sagabon(slow roasted/smoked on a spit string by an open fire),like spring geese. [Linked Image]

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/08/21 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Originally Posted by Providence Farm

There is very little blood in the meat . Soaking in water is a waste of time and potentially hazardous.

Hazardous? I just out it in a bag of water in the fridge for tomorrow dinner. What's the hazard. I do the same with squirrel and rabbit . Is beaver different?

The one from today had caster leaking out while skinning. I tried to keep it off the meat. I hope I was successful.

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/09/21 12:00 AM

increases chance of bacterial growth if your just doing pure water. Salt bath/brine is different story.

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/09/21 12:07 AM

I will add some salt again. I used to always but quit several years back.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/09/21 12:52 AM

"The one from today had caster leaking out while skinning. I tried to keep it off the meat. I hope I was successful."

If it was leaking, there's a good chance the meat is contaminated. I always take the castors and oil glands out before skinning. I wash where the castors were removed thoroughly by running lots of water over that area.

Get with Trapper Dahlgren about how he does it. He posted his way awhile back, and I thought it was a fairly fool-proof way of doing it.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/09/21 12:57 AM

I Gave some backstraps to a friend... but I have too much Deer, beef and pork to want Beaver.

Mt Hound gets them

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/09/21 02:31 AM

I don't touch the castors till I'm done skinning. What I do with the beaver that I am processing to eat is hang them by the tail from my skinning machine. Does a couple things. First gets everything to an easy working height. Settles the stomach and any abdominal fluids away from the back legs. When the beaver lays flat and you accidentally poke the abdominal wall, there goes your meat. It also makes it easier to expose the hip sockets of the beaver so you can pop em out quickly.

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/09/21 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
"The one from today had caster leaking out while skinning. I tried to keep it off the meat. I hope I was successful."

If it was leaking, there's a good chance the meat is contaminated. I always take the castors and oil glands out before skinning. I wash where the castors were removed thoroughly by running lots of water over that area.

Get with Trapper Dahlgren about how he does it. He posted his way awhile back, and I thought it was a fairly fool-proof way of doing it.

It was leaking from the vent when removed from the trap. It leaked a little more a few time when I rolled it skinning. It probably did get some on the meat I didn't see but it looked like it was heading towards the tail down to the table.

Guess I will find out tomorrow nigh. The kids my never request beaver again.

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/10/21 03:25 AM

First impression on beaver. My wife cooked it in the crock pot. Changed the water half way through becuse she read that somewhere? She added carrots,potatoes and onion.

It smelled great when she opened the lid. My first taste it was tender and I could not tell it was not beef had I not known it was beaver. I can not believe I tossed so many before. I think every young beaver is now table fare.

Beaver makes one fine meal. Thank you Trapper Man.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/10/21 05:15 AM

I get a nice hot hard wood fire a large shingle put beaver on shingle season and cook until well done ,throw out the beaver and burn the shingle!
Posted By: Minz

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/13/21 07:12 PM

Could I throw a piece of string around the vent when skinning? As mentioned they always leak when I am skinning? Also I had seen online (cooks.com) that they boil them for a short period with baking soda before cooking. I saw this thread and thought that I would give the hind quarters a try. I just picked up a 47 lb beaver so maybe not the one to start with as the first try?
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: How do you like to cook your beaver - 01/13/21 08:48 PM

Any one that says beaver meat is no good to eat,,,has never had it handled or prepared right.Prepared properly,,you can hardly tell it from beef.I like muskrats too.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums