Home

does anyone hear eat raccoon?

Posted By: bigfoottrapper

does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 02:16 AM

I used to eat some BBQ about once a year, now a bunch of trappers around hear warn me against it.

thanks
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 02:17 AM

Nope
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 02:18 AM

WAY too much better stuff to eat.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 02:21 AM

I’ve had it a few times in my life.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 02:21 AM

For what?? sick
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 02:22 AM

No way Joseeeeee
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 02:23 AM

Had it once BBQ. Didn't think it was that bad
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 02:26 AM

Its ok. Not my favorite. Trim off the glands and fat, boil it till its tender. Remove the rest of the fat. change the water and boil again. Pull it off the bone and put the meat in a crock pot. Covcer it half up with KC masterpiece bbq sauce the cover it with gates hot bbq sauce. Let it cook awhile on low. 3-4 hours. Put the bbqed meat on opened up hamburger buns on a plate. Eat with a fork. Potato chips and dill pickles are good sides with it.
Posted By: Remington700

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 02:26 AM

Use to BBQ a few every year when I was a kid. Haven’t had one in years.
Posted By: SJA

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 02:29 AM

Yup!. Like anything else, If cooked right, it's good. Shred like BBQ with your favorite sauce smile
Posted By: TNcat

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 02:30 AM

I have ate many raccoon. My grandmother BBQ in the oven after boiling pulling the meat off .
Posted By: Calvin

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 02:34 AM

I don't eat anything a coyote won't eat. Not knocking those who do, however. To each his own.
Posted By: bigfoottrapper

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 02:35 AM

how about possum? I never had one but my dad just about lived off them during the depression, about there only source of fresh meat
Posted By: Remington700

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by bigfoottrapper
how about possum? I never had one but my dad just about lived off them during the depression, about there only source of fresh meat

Always heard the meat was greasy and that you needed to keep them caged and feed corn for a few days before eating one.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 03:25 AM

I tried it it reminded me a lot of turkey leg

a young female dispatched an cleaned right away , cut all the fat off and parboiled then cooked

I would do it again, if I caught a good candidate and I had the time.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 03:36 AM

I had it bbq at a game feast. It was ok nothing to brag on but not bad either. Could have been a poor cook.

That said I have seen enough parasites in them that I would need to be getting hungry before I see them or opossum as table fare.

Put another way if I have coon, opossum, coyote, fox, muskrat and beaver carcasses laying in the yard the beaver and muskrat would quickly be devoured by the cats. The rest would lay there tell it rotted had I not dumped it. If the cats won't eat it I probably shouldn't either.

I just ate beaver for the first time tonight. Now I had no idea what I had been throwing away. I bet muskrat may be good also if there is enough meat to mess with on one.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 04:22 AM

Baking in a broiler pan so the grease falls out and it doesn’t sit inthat grease helps a lot.

Bout the best snapping turtle bait though so wouldn’t waste that
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 04:23 AM

I've eaten alot of coon . I prepare like Danny does except I like to apply my sauce at the time I eat it . I like coon on white bread with ketchup . I have cooked up a dozen at a time before and froze sandwich bags of shreaded meat . It keeps well like this . It also makes good tacos sauteing the shredded meat with onions and taco seasoning .

Coyotes eat cooked coon
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 04:25 AM

Plus if you’d find the niche market for the meat in Black neighborhoods ya get $8 min each IF LEGAL in ya state.
Posted By: TNcat

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bigfoot
I've eaten alot of coon . I prepare like Danny does except I like to apply my sauce at the time I eat it . I like coon on white bread with ketchup . I have cooked up a dozen at a time before and froze sandwich bags of shreaded meat . It keeps well like this . It also makes good tacos sauteing the shredded meat with onions and taco seasoning .

Coyotes eat cooked coon

Especially if they are burnt in open flame.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by DelawareRob
I’ve had it a few times in my life.

Me too

Always meatballs fondued deep fried
Posted By: DWC

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 04:44 AM

Guy who used to work with me grew up in the inner city in Cleveland and ate it regularly. I agreed to gut a few carcasses for him when he heard i trapped because he hadnt had it for so long. He was spose to cook me some bbq coon but his deep freeze went out while he was gone for a weekend. I was lookin fwd to it
Posted By: T-REV

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 05:14 AM

I wont try it myself. Nothing against those who have but every critter that I shoot or trap the carcass goes in the backyard in the woods. Coyotes drag off and eat everything but coon. The bugs will eat it down to the ground but coyotes wont touch em. Figured they must know something I don’t.
Posted By: Rob & Neall

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 11:17 AM

A gun club that I belong to has a muskrat and coon dinner every year as a fundraiser. This has been a tradition for 30+ years. We sell out of tickets early and still have people that want to come eat. We have a black fella come in and do the cooking using a family recipe. We prepare fresh greens, hominy, slaw and home made corn bread. Of course alcohol is provided as well.

In this area muskrat and coon dinners are the norm for fraternal organizations and churches. We were getting anywhere from $6-$8 for the coon meat. Unfortunately, this year is very different due to the CHINESE FLU. We had to cancel our dinner because of state restrictions and our buyer was'nt taking any extra coon meat. Thus we aren't trapping coons this year.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 11:29 AM

Ate it few times. Tried just about every critter when I was young. In the 80's I'd get 3dollars a piece for them if they were good and fresh. The people I sold em to said I didn't know what I missing. Oh I did! but I had pork chops to eat
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 11:58 AM

I have tried it (BBQ) didn't really like it.

Sold a few hundred of them to people who did eat them though.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 12:02 PM

Yep, my crazy uncle wanted ever fresh 8- 12 lb coon I trapped as a kid. He would cook them up on a Sunday. All the wild outdoor boys like myself, other cousins were always there to eat the wild game Uncle Jr. would cook up for us. He drank plenty of Pabst Blue Ribbon all us boys would be drinking Hires Root Beer While the coons were roasting we heard old hunting fishing stories, learn knots, teach us how to set snares for rabbits. his version of birds and bees, the positives of "big girls" how to make apple jack. Yeah the cousins and I still talk about our crazy Uncle Jr. when we get together.

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 01:03 PM

I think all kids would be better off if they had grown up with a crazy uncle jr .
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 01:05 PM

I ate a BBQ coon once. It was edible but I couldn't get it out of my mind what I was eating. It would be good if a person was hungry. Most folks here have never been really hungry.
In the depression my Dad would get fledgling pigeons from the nests in the barn and they'd have pigeon pie. Sometimes you eat what you got!
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
Yep, my crazy uncle wanted ever fresh 8- 12 lb coon I trapped as a kid. He would cook them up on a Sunday. All the wild outdoor boys like myself, other cousins were always there to eat the wild game Uncle Jr. would cook up for us. He drank plenty of Pabst Blue Ribbon all us boys would be drinking Hires Root Beer While the coons were roasting we heard old hunting fishing stories, learn knots, teach us how to set snares for rabbits. his version of birds and bees, the positives of "big girls" how to make apple jack. Yeah the cousins and I still talk about our crazy Uncle Jr. when we get together.

The good life.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 01:48 PM

I’ve never been that hungry. Yet.
Posted By: Squash

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 02:03 PM

When my Dad and uncles were kids a neighbor asked them if they caught a coon and had a extra carcass, he’d like one to cook and eat. So they caught a Red Fox, skinned it, cut off the head and tail and gave the neighbor the carcass. A few days later, my Dad asked the neighbor how the coon was ? The neighbor replied, “ a little stringy , but not bad.”

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 02:18 PM

At Wild Game dinners they have it
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bigfoot
I think all kids would be better off if they had grown up with a crazy uncle jr .

I was thinking the same thing!
Posted By: Getting There

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 02:23 PM

Years ago.

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Squash
When my Dad and uncles were kids a neighbor asked them if they caught a coon and had a extra carcass, he’d like one to cook and eat. So they caught a Red Fox, skinned it, cut off the head and tail and gave the neighbor the carcass. A few days later, my Dad asked the neighbor how the coon was ? The neighbor replied, “ a little stringy , but not bad.”

Hahaha!
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 02:45 PM

Used too eat it. Taste buds now prefer deer and walleye.
Posted By: doublesettrigger

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 09:25 PM

Barbecued coon is pretty good and baked possum with cornbread is also good.

Rickey
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
Plus if you’d find the niche market for the meat in Black neighborhoods ya get $8 min each IF LEGAL in ya state.

Illegal to sell here in Georgia as stated before, but I’ve seen $20 donations and $5 donations for possums. They can also get you turkey rights as long as the landowner gets to keep the coons and possums, lol.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/10/21 09:46 PM

I really enjoyed the story of crazy Uncle Jr. Good days for sure
Posted By: panaxman

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/11/21 01:14 AM

In DE years ago, they sold frozen coon, muskrat, and beaver. All had hind foot left on. I remember the coons were 10.00 each; all large ones.
In the early 80's I had a guy in Media that bought my coon carcasses for 4.00 each, he had a good black market operation. Oops, may had broken the pa law back then - come and get me grin

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/12/21 12:39 AM

We had unkle Willy. Huge fish fries butchering , fighting roosters and more cousins than i can count at one time my aunt was baby sitting 36 cousins , grand kids great grandkids
Posted By: charles

Re: does anyone hear eat raccoon? - 01/12/21 03:09 AM

I’ve had it with lots of brown whiskey. Pare boiled and fried in lard on the creek bank during a float trip. That was 50 years ago. Thought it was good then.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums