Home

Wood pile holding up well

Posted By: Law Dog

Wood pile holding up well - 01/12/21 07:40 PM

Burned about a third less of the woodpile so far I filling the boiler 2x a day now and 3x when it’s colder. I don’t leave much behind when cutting, been burning a lot of the smaller “ top” stuff this year not into the main pile yet. Should be ahead of next year unless February becomes a monster of a month.
Posted By: Spade

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/12/21 07:45 PM

Same here, only burned about 1/2 cord, since October, 30 degree nights doesn't take much to keep the house warm.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/12/21 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Burned about a third less of the woodpile so far I filling the boiler 2x a day now and 3x when it’s colder. I don’t leave much behind when cutting, been burning a lot of the smaller “ top” stuff this year not into the main pile yet. Should be ahead of next year unless February becomes a monster of a month.

As I recall, didn't we have above normal temps in January, but got our butts kicked in February with below normal temps last year?

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/12/21 07:52 PM

One month is better then 3 months any year to struggle through. The last time I had this nice of a winter it took a month to recover in the spring, I was working full time and trapping full time about killed me.
Posted By: white17

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/12/21 07:58 PM

Same here. Pretty easy year on the wood pile
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/12/21 08:33 PM

Going Well with propane here also!
Hope it stays mild
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/12/21 08:57 PM

Easy here on the wood also. Still snowing at times, but not real cold.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/12/21 08:58 PM

Im just in the process of installing a propane direct vent heater. The woodstove gets almost to warm in these temps. We have had some cold weather, but overall its been nice.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/12/21 09:05 PM

Still waiting for some frost scraping weather here.
Only had a few days of that in early - mid december.
Very mild winter here so far,but a long way to go yet.
Posted By: Short Track

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/12/21 09:21 PM

What are your thoughts on splitting firewood? I haven't been using much wood at all. Some of my split wood is starting to rot in the firewood pile. Bug infested, etc.
Also, I have logs that are not split yet. I'm thinking of leaving them unsplit, so they don't rot faster.

What are your thoughts ?
Posted By: Posco

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/12/21 09:25 PM

Been a mild winter here so far. Not much snow compared to the past three or four years and moderate temps. Should really help the deer herd.
Posted By: Knappett

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/12/21 09:59 PM

Iv never burnt less wood than this year.i heat with nothing but a woodstove and today i didn't even put wood in the stove, won't till night time now.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/12/21 10:16 PM

Gonna be easy to replenish this year, just came in from skinning in the yard 56 degrees out , windy but sun is shining.
Posted By: Knappett

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/12/21 11:37 PM

Iv never burnt less wood than this year.i heat with nothing but a woodstove and today i didn't even put wood in the stove, won't till night time now.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/12/21 11:50 PM

I will take down another dead standing oak tomorrow for this years heating. I have next years wood cut and split. I got a bunch of plastic pallets so I now can stack the stuff off the ground. Thinking of mixing some permethrin and give the wood stack a squirt or two every now and then to keep the bugs at bay. Then throw tarp over it and leave it to season. The tarp will go just over the top so the wood get plenty of air.

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/13/21 12:46 AM

Had 1/2 of a big ash go down at the neighbors place last week pretty wood about 2 1/2 round at the base just the one half. Talked to the landowner offered to take the rest of it down he said go for it just don’t drop it on his fence. LOL Should end up with a couple cords out of it the best wood we can get close to home here.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/13/21 01:30 AM

Very easy on the wood pile this year. I never have any storage of wood if I need it but a year like this means less work when less wood used.
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/13/21 01:53 AM

I went into the winter with 10 cord of oak ready to go. Yesterdays inventory showed 2 cord down on my way to less than 5 for the season.

WS
Posted By: charles

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/13/21 02:06 AM

I don’t burn wood anymore, but I got great great satisfaction every day when I looked at my large row of stacked seasoned wood. Tore up a truck rear end, burned up two saws, tree hit FIL and head resulting in hospitalization, burned holes in carpet, deck, and rollout trash can, broke several axe handles, and had frozen pipes while heat was turned off. Not real sure I saved much, if anything. Wood was free.

Had I lived farther north, it might have been more of a savings.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/13/21 02:28 AM

I have an outdoor wood boiler. This year I decided if it burns it's going in the boiler. I have had several jack pines and cherry's fall. So instead of putting them in a pile in the field and just cooking with the cherry its went in the broiler. Heated the house with what I thought was trash for about 3 weeks so far. Would never dream about using it in my old wood stove in my old house. Saves on my good wood and makes better use of my time.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/13/21 02:31 AM

I spent December in Florida with electric heaters on in the house here to keep things from freezing. $30 heat bill for the month. I think I'll go back to Florida.
Posted By: WakopaWalker

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/13/21 03:25 AM

The first year I moved to North Dakota, I burned 10 cords of wood through an outdoor boiler. I couldn't keep the house warm. It got to the point where -20 outside was working weather. I installed a propane fired boiler and shut down the wood burner. This year has been mild enough that the wood burner would have worked and only burned a few cords.

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/13/21 04:26 AM

That little wood stove is the best thing I have put on the boat in a good while. Its in the 20's again tonight and its toasty warm in the boat.
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/13/21 06:27 PM

I turned my outdoor boiler temp down to 140 degrees and am getting 24hrs out of a fill easy.
Can't beat this years temps.

Re: Wood pile holding up well - 01/13/21 09:30 PM

I cut down 3 dead standing oaks today and took them to the firewood spot. Two had a moisture content of 40% relative. and the third 15%. I am going to use the dry one for this year and split the other two for the next year piles and that pile is getting rather large. I'll probably end up selling some of it as there is no way I can burn that all. I got one saw log out of that lot as well.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums