Home

Finally started trapping

Posted By: Wanna Be

Finally started trapping - 01/13/21 12:43 AM

Got called last night and asked if I was ready to start trapping from a buddy who sort of manages a guys property. I trapped it last year for a turkey, but could’ve made over $500 for just two weeks of trapping. I told him my fee this year and the landowner agreed and said he hopes I make him poor and regret it. Last year the property was only about 200ac. He bought an additional 350ac surrounding his initial purchase.

Got 9 footholds and 6 DP’s in after work, with the majority PDS’s due to the forecast of rain one day later this week and several days next week. We can’t seem to get a shower or two, we get inches every forecast. Going to spend the next few evenings setting the other parts of the property. Just the main road I set was full of coon and fox tracks with a few coyote and cat tracks mixed in. They are going to drop me some pins where they have have feeders and getting pics of coyotes. Supposedly there are 4 coyotes running together at one camera. I even called last year and asked how many critters he wanted me to take...got feeling bad, lol. The only reason I left last year was for one of my paying properties. Hoping this year is just as good! I’m excited and optimistic!!
Posted By: forestman3

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/13/21 12:48 AM

Sounds like a great place.Good luck.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/13/21 01:00 AM

Good luck.
Posted By: PSPH17

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/13/21 01:58 AM

I’ve got 2 properties just like that. Landowners have already called but I’m waiting to hopefully get a couple weeks without these weekly downpours.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/13/21 02:03 AM

What a life!

Have a blast
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/13/21 02:07 AM

Sounds amazing I'm excited for you.
Posted By: Bison88

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/13/21 04:23 AM

Go get them and Enjoy the moment!
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/13/21 10:35 AM

go get them , take lots of pic. smile

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/13/21 06:18 PM

Not was I was expecting on the first check, but I’ll take it. Caught in a PDS.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SpellNC9

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/13/21 06:30 PM

Geez.... how does one go about finding properties and landowners that will actually pay to remove coyotes???
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/13/21 07:06 PM

Awesome pic!!

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/13/21 07:12 PM

Nice bobcat.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/13/21 10:42 PM

nice close up smile
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/13/21 11:25 PM

PDS?
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/13/21 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by SpellNC9
Geez.... how does one go about finding properties and landowners that will actually pay to remove coyotes???

Must move to south west Ga where quail is king...many plantations there paynfor trappers. Some have there own staff trap......but....

....Other parts of the south have wealthy landowners managing for deer and turkeys that are willing to pay for a good trapper. Even some hunting clubs have enough funds to pay a trapper.

You must know what you're doing and have the equipment and time to work like a contractor. No excuses for not catching for any reason. Work the rain, sun, heat, cold, educated critters, difficult access, etc. You are expected to produce.

You drop the ball on one trapping job you are done. Word travels fast.

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/13/21 11:51 PM

Swamp nailed it. I don’t charge what the professionals charge and let them know straight up that I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL TRAPPER. I only get paid for what I catch, this isn't my sole source of income, I just do it for fun and get a little “play” money for my time. With that being said, word of mouth does travel. I started out being “told” I was the new trapper at a small plantation and it started from there. Being in a small town helps and having RICH landowners that want critters gone helps too. When one gets talking to another and talks about their increase in turkeys and fawns they want to know how. My “goal” when I retire is to have enough properties and traps to stay real busy making a little “play” money. I am nowhere near 95% of y’all on here, just know enough to catch a few critters. I make about $500+ off of each property and use that for trapping supplies and turkey trips.

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/13/21 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
PDS?

Pipe Dream Set
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/14/21 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Swamp nailed it. I don’t charge what the professionals charge and let them know straight up that I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL TRAPPER. I only get paid for what I catch, this isn't my sole source of income, I just do it for fun and get a little “play” money for my time. With that being said, word of mouth does travel. I started out being “told” I was the new trapper at a small plantation and it started from there. Being in a small town helps and having RICH landowners that want critters gone helps too. When one gets talking to another and talks about their increase in turkeys and fawns they want to know how. My “goal” when I retire is to have enough properties and traps to stay real busy making a little “play” money. I am nowhere near 95% of y’all on here, just know enough to catch a few critters. I make about $500+ off of each property and use that for trapping supplies and turkey trips.

You probably are very close to anyone on here. You just need more time, set more traps, cover more ground, and charge more for your services.

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/14/21 10:43 PM

Check number two produced 3 coons.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I got about 7 more footholds and 4 DP’s set out.
Typical Southern woods, two tracks with grass or covered in leaves so tracks are about impossible to find. Planning on filling in places on my route and hitting the South end of the property.

I did see an albino fawn. I called my buddy and told him he could’ve given me a heads up and he claims no one has seen it or even got pics of it. I received permission to place some trail cams for scouting purposes, but all deer pics get deleted or sent to them. I did get permission to post the albino here if I get a pic or video.

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/15/21 09:48 PM

Check #3 produced 4 possums and 1 coon. Rained a little this morning then cleared and temps are supposed to hover near freezing tonight. 2 possums in DP’s and all the rest in dirt hole sets.
[Linked Image]

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/17/21 01:05 AM

Check #4 produced 1 coon in a dirt hole set and 1 possum in a PDS. Hoping one of the catches I get canine or feline. Got 30 footholds and 12 DP’s out as of today.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kmax8

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/17/21 01:31 AM

Nice

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/17/21 02:14 AM

Nice catches.

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/17/21 08:49 PM

Check #5 turned out much better! And, my next door neighbors son-in-law rode with me. He knows I trap and asked if he could ride along and observe. May see if he can ride every day now, lol.
First catch was a coon in a DP along the creek.
[Linked Image]

Next catch was a fox in a PDS along a field edge that has been sitting since last Tuesday.
[Linked Image]

Next was a coyote where I missed a fox yesterday and just took up the tore up grass and piled it over the pipe.
[Linked Image]

Then no check is complete with a possum along a wood line in a small dirt hole set.
[Linked Image]

Then the last set I put in yesterday and the last on the line had another coyote. He DESTROYED the dirt hole set so bad it wasn’t even possible to reset it. I placed another dirt hole outside the West side of circle and a blind set on the East side.
[Linked Image]

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/17/21 08:54 PM

Nice catches.That gray fox is pretty.
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/17/21 09:14 PM

Well done Wanna Be. Now the work starts, right?

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/19/21 01:23 AM

Check #6, well after a good day yesterday only ended up with one fox where I caught one of the coyotes yesterday. I just pulled the pipe and moved it outside the catch circle and the fox liked it. Just remade the set where it was today and covered the pipe up with grass like I did before I caught the coyote. Hoping for a little better day tomorrow.
[Linked Image]

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/19/21 01:30 AM

Nice gray fox

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/20/21 01:56 AM

Well check #7 yielded 1 more Grey and a couple of possums. Only issue is one possum doesn’t get counted. He was caught and accidentally released, lol. I drove up and he was just lying there. I didn’t want blood everywhere seeing how he didn’t tear the set up too bad and I was pressed for time, so I thought I’d just release him and as he waddled off I’d shoot him. He was only caught by the tail, and the minute that trap released pressure, he took off! I didn’t know they could move that fast. Plus I learned I wouldn’t have made it as a cowboy, really need practice on my quick draw!!
Not too bad of a week. Hoping the coyotes they had on camera come back through soon.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/20/21 02:11 AM

Nice going. It's a lot of fun trapping behind a gate knowing you wont have any conflicts.

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/20/21 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by white dog
Nice going. It's a lot of fun trapping behind a gate knowing you wont have any conflicts.

Yes sir it is.
I could also say it would be nice to have public land to trap, but we don’t have any. So, private lands it is.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/20/21 02:19 AM

Nice post .... keep on enjoying it out there
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Finally started trapping - 01/20/21 03:10 AM

Good week
Congratulations
© 2024 Trapperman Forums