Home

Wyoming Trapping Trip

Posted By: D550Trap

Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/13/21 03:53 PM

Thinking about going to Wyoming this coming fall to trap some coyotes. is middle of October a good time to go? don't want to deal with snow. any advise?

thanks.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/13/21 03:55 PM

Probably be snow on the ground but at least there was in October when I hunted elk and mule deer there.
Posted By: sneaky

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/13/21 04:35 PM

Anytime after late August there's a possibility of snow, especially in the higher elevations. By mid October there's the possibility of snow anywhere in the state.
Posted By: Castormound

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/13/21 07:47 PM

Depends on where you want to go in Wyoming. Here in SE Wyoming, the coyotes are NOT prime in mid Oct. Maybe higher or farther north they are OK, I trap between 6 and 7 thousand ft.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/13/21 09:07 PM

Hunters would be more of an issue than snow I think.

Osky
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/13/21 09:22 PM

I trap high elevations and still not a great pelt open bellies and no underfur.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/13/21 09:33 PM

Here is a example of Oct. Weather in Montana and I know that Wyoming got same thing as us if not more on the same storm [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/13/21 09:44 PM

Nice coyote and awesome picture.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/13/21 09:46 PM

Probably less snow potential in the red desert in SE Wyoming. I used to go the National Coyote Calling Contest out of Rawlins about the end October or beginning of November every year and most years there wasn't much snow. But you sure can't count on that.

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/13/21 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Castormound
Depends on where you want to go in Wyoming. Here in SE Wyoming, the coyotes are NOT prime in mid Oct. Maybe higher or farther north they are OK, I trap between 6 and 7 thousand ft.

when do you start trapping coyotes?
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/13/21 10:19 PM

A lot of guys here kind of use the November one date as a start date. Even then we are not fully prime on some animals. It is a good round abouts date though. Snow depends heavily on where you are at. In my neck of the woods we don't get a lot of snow and have millions of acres of public ground to trap. It is remote though and trapping is not easy. But it sure is fun. If you decide you want to get out this way let me know i can help you find your way and if you need gear while you are here I an hook you up. I run a supply business out of Riverton Wyoming.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/13/21 11:06 PM

Come on out the weather is fine!!! Baaaaaaanaaaanaaaabelt!
Posted By: cathryn

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/13/21 11:47 PM

Jerry has trapped Wyoming for 30 straight years. He sais to tell you you can get snow anytime after Sept 15th and it could stay depending on the elevation .
Usually where he is by the 20th of Oct your fighting snow..real snow.

Also look into where you go because I. Some places the govt trapperss trap and aerial gun them year round so locally in places the yotes aren't there like you think

Also by Oct 1st big game .rifle seasons start about everywhere

He is not trying to discourage you he just wants you to look at all angles when you plan your trip
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/14/21 02:14 AM

Best from last week oct to dec
Sometimes I had 70+ degrees, sometimes -10-20 degrees
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/14/21 02:42 AM

I have seen it snow every month of the year and seen sub zero in oct but it dont make the fur any better. If you want good fur dont start until Nov 1 if you want to just kill coyotes come in sept when the pups leave but they are not worth any money.
Posted By: Castormound

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/14/21 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by D550Trap
Originally Posted by Castormound

when do you start trapping coyotes?

I usually do 1 ranch around 20 Oct because it is kinda out of the way. Don't start on my main line until November. Those late Oct dogs aren't awful and still have fair value, but they aren't prime yet. If it's for fun and experience, go for it.

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/14/21 02:36 PM

thanks guys for all the advise.

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/14/21 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by thedude055
A lot of guys here kind of use the November one date as a start date. Even then we are not fully prime on some animals. It is a good round abouts date though. Snow depends heavily on where you are at. In my neck of the woods we don't get a lot of snow and have millions of acres of public ground to trap. It is remote though and trapping is not easy. But it sure is fun. If you decide you want to get out this way let me know i can help you find your way and if you need gear while you are here I an hook you up. I run a supply business out of Riverton Wyoming.

I might have to take you up on that offer.
thanks.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/14/21 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by thedude055

Nice offer
Posted By: Larry Hall

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/14/21 03:32 PM

I've not trapped Wyoming, but I've called it three times now.. Mid Oct coyotes are not ready in the red desert anyways.. Ton of hunters if you hit the wrong dates.. Take some dadgum tire chains along.. the two tracks are unbelievably nasty with a bit of rain or melting snow.. I believe I still have some seat cover stuck between my cheeks from my last trip... Lordy...
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/14/21 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Osky
Hunters would be more of an issue than snow I think.

Osky

This is a big problem in mid October in the high country. And that's the only place you'll catch a coyote that will be primed up enough to grade as a II or a good III.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/14/21 06:55 PM

Any hunting seasons you would avoid by going early might be considered also.

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/15/21 09:22 PM

seems like every Wyoming trapping video on YouTube its Dry and dusty out. lol
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Wyoming Trapping Trip - 01/15/21 09:30 PM

Well Lol it is dry and dusty here that is for sure. High Plains desert above or around 5000'.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums