Home

Is this aluminum driveshaft a problem?

Posted By: Gary Benson

Is this aluminum driveshaft a problem? - 01/13/21 07:59 PM

[Linked Image]
Was changing oil this morning and saw this. It looks like a crack but don't really think it is. Just drove it to Fla and back and didn't feel anything. It looks like the weld bead cracked but the bead doesn't extend onto the yoke. Has anybody seen this? Thanks.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Is this aluminum driveshaft a problem? - 01/13/21 08:14 PM

No, what I think your seeing is the weld bead is made using a filler material and that bead is above the height of the yoke.

If your worried take a wire brush and brush the step so its all shined up then look at it. I'll bet there is no crack.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Is this aluminum driveshaft a problem? - 01/13/21 09:11 PM

Looks to me like you are about to be walking.

Re: Is this aluminum driveshaft a problem? - 01/14/21 12:48 AM

To The Top
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Is this aluminum driveshaft a problem? - 01/14/21 01:24 AM

Looks like a little cold lap on the heavier yoke side. I think Dirty D nailed it. Gary, did you go around it with a fine marker? lol
Posted By: k snow

Re: Is this aluminum driveshaft a problem? - 01/14/21 01:26 AM

Do a brake stand in the driveway and find out.

Looks like a standard GM driveshaft to me.

Re: Is this aluminum driveshaft a problem? - 01/14/21 01:47 AM

I've never abused her other than pulling a camper down the highway! The u-joints are still lined up so I'll take it easy until I can get a GM mechanic to peek at it.
Loosegoose didn't think it was a problem..

Re: Is this aluminum driveshaft a problem? - 01/14/21 01:49 AM

It almost looks like they welded the end of the shaft to keep it from ratting, then cut the weld and pressed the yoke into the shaft. I'm hoping anyhow.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Is this aluminum driveshaft a problem? - 01/14/21 01:58 AM

I've never seen this done or heard of it but...it looks like they wrapped the shaft in a piece of asbestos or mineral wool collar and welded up against it. I can't see how it could have cracked in a perfectly straight line all the way around the shaft. Never seen a failed weld fail so perfectly.

Re: Is this aluminum driveshaft a problem? - 01/14/21 02:47 AM

Well it's held for 118,000 miles so far. I'll keep a roll of duct tape in the pickup.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Is this aluminum driveshaft a problem? - 01/14/21 03:45 AM

I didn’t feel anything from my driveshaft when driving, then it broke.
Depends on type of vehicle, but I called everywhere for a used one, couldn’t find one anywhere.
I got lucky tho, only 900.00 dollars for mine...
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Is this aluminum driveshaft a problem? - 01/14/21 04:09 AM

Who in their right mind would build a drive shaft out of aluminum ? shocked

Just thinking, Cripes, it's been 50 years ago, but I rebuilt several drive shafts when I worked in a welding / machine shop, just out of trade school.

Measure the old tube, cut the Knuckles off and clean them up on a lathe, weld them back on to a new tube, held between centers, nice and straight. grin

Good Luck, Gary. (buy a Ford)

Charlie
© 2024 Trapperman Forums