That is probably the first time I've been even remotely associated with communism. If you only knew.
Not some state actor......only the people that make it. Eliminate the middle man so to speak. Suck up the gravy so they can double what they are doing now. Then when supply finally catches up to demand, and things calm down, go back to doing whatever the market wants.
Seems to me this ammo thing has evolved into something like what happens in one of those middle east refugee camps. Half million poor souls camped out on the side of a hill when a UN truck shows up with 100 pound bags of rice. The desperate starving masses overwhelm any means of orderly distribution with only a few of the strongest and most aggressive making off with the big bags and everyone else left with an empty sack. That makes the riots even worse the next time.
That vs. a more orderly process like having them all line up single file and giving each of them a 1 pound sack. Same people, same amount of rice, only change is putting some order in place so each at least gets a chance at it.
I'm not saying your a commie, I was saying the idea is. So how should the manufactures handle this? Let's think about it for a moment. Let's look at logistics. This wouldn't just be for ammo. This would be for everything that is in short supply according to your philosophy.
1. What if you live far away from the ammo manufacturer?
2. Do only people that live close enough to this manufacturer get the opportunity to buy it?
3. I assume you want it available to everyone. so now who keeps track of who has bought it?
4. It has to be shipped will it need extra security now to make sure it doesn't get diverted?
5. Do you intend to also regulate what they can make? Allow them to only make what is in high demand?
6. How do we know the people in line to buy it need it?
7. How do we know the person in line is buying for himself?
8. How do we know the guy in line even owns a gun in that caliber?
9. Do we have to investigate everyone in line to buy ammo now to make sure this is fair to everyone?
10. Who gets to pay for all of this security, background checks and sales people devoting their time to this matter?