Home

Made me a Stropping Box -Pics

Posted By: Finster

Made me a Stropping Box -Pics - 01/14/21 05:12 PM

I didn't get too carried away. Thought about doing finger joints and sinking the hinges but it's just for myself and I don't need it to be that pretty, maybe next time. Anyway, I made this from Cherry with a maple accent in the center. It has two leathers, one a fine and one a suede. The compounds go in the bottom and everything fits in one box. I just got the leathers today so I am ready to add rouge and start stropping wink
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Knappett

Re: Made me a Stropping Box -Pics - 01/14/21 05:17 PM

Thats slick
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Made me a Stropping Box -Pics - 01/14/21 05:25 PM

Great little project, and as always with the things you post on here, it looks to be very nicely executed.
I always enjoy posts like this, thank you

Re: Made me a Stropping Box -Pics - 01/14/21 08:39 PM

Well, most of my kitchen knives are scary sharp now. I can get them very sharp on my stone but finishing it off with the strop, I can shave the hair on my arm with my 12" chef knife. crazy
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Made me a Stropping Box -Pics - 01/14/21 08:52 PM

Nice
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Made me a Stropping Box -Pics - 01/14/21 09:14 PM

Very Nice!
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Made me a Stropping Box -Pics - 01/14/21 11:31 PM

Nice work!
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Made me a Stropping Box -Pics - 01/14/21 11:39 PM

Where did you get the strops from?

Re: Made me a Stropping Box -Pics - 01/15/21 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by dustytinner
Where did you get the strops from?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071RKW6N5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Posted By: charles

Re: Made me a Stropping Box -Pics - 01/15/21 12:17 AM

I will buy one if you are up to making another. Very nice. Heirloom.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Made me a Stropping Box -Pics - 01/15/21 12:47 AM

You might have done it wrong that thing is too purdy to use!
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Made me a Stropping Box -Pics - 01/15/21 12:53 AM

Pretty wood

Re: Made me a Stropping Box -Pics - 01/15/21 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by charles
I will buy one if you are up to making another. Very nice. Heirloom.
Odd that you say that. The main reason I made this was as a proof of concept project. I've been looking for easy projects to do in my shop after retirement or even during my free time for a few extra bucks. Cutting boards and butcher blocks are on the list. However, This was a bit too involved to be profit worthy. The amount I would have to charge to make it worthwhile would ensure I never sold one. I would be looking at between $125 and $150 price tag. Making them in bulk, making jigs and such would drive the price down but not that much. They would make nice Xmas gifts for friends though so get on my good side! wink
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Made me a Stropping Box -Pics - 01/15/21 02:46 AM

Ya used the wrong wood....the strop blocks are crooked....and the finish sucks. On top of that ya got a chinese knife layin on top of it.

PS.... Ya know I am BS'n ya!!! That thing is really nice, ya oughta be real proud.

Re: Made me a Stropping Box -Pics - 01/21/21 12:53 AM

Good Grief! It's amazing how sharp you can get a knife with a strop! The wife is afraid to touch them. No matter, I do 99% of the cooking anyway. I cut a tomato last night. The weight of the blade and a drag went right through it. No pressure needed. It's like a Ginzu commercial only for real. These are not even great knives, they are Henkel's.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums