Home

Duke 650 traps

Posted By: Bruce T

Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 05:30 PM

Anybody using these?Checking out alot of things before buying.I like the idea of a larger jaw spread for exposed trap sets for bobcats.I also like the regular trap levers instead of the wire ones on the mb 650.Also that trigger set up on the mb 650's to me looks alot harder to set where you can't flip a loose jaw up to set it from under the jaw.Looking for personal experience.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 05:36 PM

Let me go get some popcorn...
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 05:38 PM

I haven’t used them but the only complaint I’ve read is that they are not made in the USA.
Posted By: larrywaugh

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 06:18 PM

I have some. I will be purchasing more. I think it is a great trap.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 06:22 PM

MJ 500 and 600s
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 06:41 PM

A quick search on here will provide an hours worth of reading.

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
MJ 500 and 600s

After seeing your post I checked them out.You like those wire levers?They look like they would be hard to set to me?That also looks like that same trigger system as the mb 650 with both jaws being locked down and no way to flip up one jaw to set it?I don't know if I could get used to that grin

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 07:01 PM

One hand setters work great you can set them on you knees no problem and the triggers are totally different but the jaw hold down is the same no loose jaw very stable bedding try one sometime you will fall in love.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 07:05 PM

I`m sure no expert but what little I have messed with expossed cat sets,the smaller trap like 1 3/4 size work better for me.If you use a bigger trap and get snow the cat will tramp beside the pan and on the jaws to much.When using the smaller trap,(unless you get a lot of snow)the cat still tramp on the pan.If I was going to use a bigger trap for exposed sets it would be a doubble long spring with a bigger pan welded on.I like big traps for coyotes and will be picking some 650 duke up this year if we have a convention this year.

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by forestman3
I`m sure no expert but what little I have messed with expossed cat sets,the smaller trap like 1 3/4 size work better for me.If you use a bigger trap and get snow the cat will tramp beside the pan and on the jaws to much.When using the smaller trap,(unless you get a lot of snow)the cat still tramp on the pan.If I was going to use a bigger trap for exposed sets it would be a doubble long spring with a bigger pan welded on.I like big traps for coyotes and will be picking some 650 duke up this year if we have a convention this year.

I was planning on using a much bigger add on pan with these if I buy some.

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 07:21 PM

One hand setters work great you can set them on you knees no problem and the triggers are totally different but the jaw hold down is the same no loose jaw very stable bedding try one sometime you will fall in love.

Isn't that the same triggering system as the big 750 beaver traps?I had bought a couple and hated them as you had to set the pan with your hand in the jaws not under?

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by M.Magis
A quick search on here will provide an hours worth of reading.

Just did that and saw one picture of a bobcat and 99% talking coyotes.

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 07:26 PM

I spent a few hours cutting off larger pans for a buddy, to me having the pan closer to the jaws sounds like a toe catch waiting to happen you would think. I always figured it was better to miss a critter and catch it the next time then to spook it and lose it.

My thinking is the small or medium pan will make the best catches.

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 07:34 PM

I spent a few hours cutting off larger pans for a buddy, to me having the pan closer to the jaws sounds like a toe catch waiting to happen you would think. I always figured it was better to miss a critter and catch it the next time then to spook it and lose it.

You like that trigger system with your hands inside the jaws while setting the trap?
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 07:40 PM

Bruce, I bought some 650’s and really like them. Caught 50 or so coyotes in them. No Big complaints other than the levers lock pretty hard on some after the catch. Makes releasing kinda interesting!

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T

You like that trigger system with your hands inside the jaws while setting the trap?

One hand setters problem solved!

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 08:27 PM

Thanks Law Dog I just googled one hand setters and they are not what I thought.I was thinking of those wire extenders that they had come out with years ago.Those one hand setters look Aesome.I never have even used pan tension traps before as I did all my fox and coyote trapping back in the 70's and 80's with victor and northwoods 1 3/4 and 2's.Got alot of catching up to do...... crazy

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 08:49 PM

My hands are shot from so much abuse from trapping, logging and mechanical work the one hand setters are a Blessing for setting the HD traps. Lots of gimmicks out there I know what your saying but they are the real deal.

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 08:51 PM

Just watch the bottom swivel on the MJs keep it out of the way and they work like a charm.

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 09:17 PM

Will these work on a mb650?

https://youtu.be/Oby8-2gbllE
Posted By: kinley31

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
Bruce, I bought some 650’s and really like them. Caught 50 or so coyotes in them. No Big complaints other than the levers lock pretty hard on some after the catch. Makes releasing kinda interesting!

I used some Duke 650's this season, and like them as well. They bed like a dream, but yes I agree, they lock up HARD sometimes. One downside, chain and swivels need upgraded.
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 09:34 PM

I run 650's. Over half of my coyote line are 650's now. I giggle a bit about the guys that go straight to buy MJ's on a thread about a different trap. Mj's are a great trap. They are also in a completely different tax bracket than Duke 650's. Maybe two tax brackets off lol. Anyways back to the guys looking at Duke 650's. The only upgrade you might consider as mentioned before is the chain. I change the chain setup on every trap to suit my setup so that doesn't really matter to me.
Posted By: wheelers

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 11:16 PM

Yes

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by wheelers

Yes

Awesome.Thank you Wheelers
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 11:37 PM

Dave makes setters for ALL coil spring traps and jumps. I have several pairs and they are an awesome tool!! They also have a safety hook on them so you can lock the trap open if you are doing some work on them. Works great if you are adjusting pan tension and have a pile of traps to do , ya dont wear your hands out resetting all the traps.
Posted By: scheide

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/14/21 11:53 PM

My Duke 650's held everything that stepped on the pan. All good catches above the pad. And like said above, they bed real nice. I did replace all the chain on mine and used sterling type swivels.

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/15/21 12:16 AM

Thanks Jacob....choices choices choices. grin
Posted By: red mt

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/15/21 01:05 AM

Anybody have any advice on pan tension adjustments??
Posted By: cheechako

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/15/21 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by larrywaugh
I have some. I will be purchasing more. I think it is a great trap.

I have 15. Let a landowner borrow two for a couple beavers and he is buying them from me. Get some One Hand Setters or eat your wheaties cause they’re a grown man trap! I consider myself a sufficiently strong guy and I bought some setters.
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/15/21 04:26 AM

I've Run 2 Dozen Duke 650's this year mixed in my line. Caught a good pile of coyotes and a Handful of Bobcats with them.
Been very pleased. Strong Springs Lock up tight. The J hooks could used replaced like others said.
At 189 Dollars a Dozen Plus shipping They make a Darn Fine Trap. Yeah they arent U.S.A made , but Duke company is U.S.A based.
For the Price I'd say they are Hard to beat, unless your dead set on U.S.A products.
My Mj600's are nice , but not comparable at this price point.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/15/21 12:31 PM

Jerry is spot on.
Adding on to the pan will increase sub-par paw catching = toe catches.
Steer clear.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/15/21 12:35 PM

I always thought that when giant pans came in

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/15/21 07:47 PM

Thanks for all the Information.Right now I'm leaning towards mb 650's.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/15/21 10:07 PM

I will stay with the MB550, single springs and offset jaws. Easier to set and I like the click of the pan when pulling it down. SET!

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/15/21 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by seniortrap
I will stay with the MB550, single springs and offset jaws. Easier to set and I like the click of the pan when pulling it down. SET!

After watching Mark June's video I'm planning buying both mb 650's and mb 550's for different type sets I have in mind.

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/15/21 10:24 PM

Also thinking of duke 550's in areas where a trap would be more likely stolen.

Re: Duke 650 traps - 01/15/21 10:52 PM

Just orders a 2nd set of the one handed setters for my cat bag if I remake a yote set I leave them in my set bucket and forget them when walking the cat line.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums