Home

Snow days

Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Snow days - 01/15/21 01:16 PM

What in the world is going on with the school systems now days. Kids was all bundled up standing at the door waiting to see the bus coming down the road when the phone rang, no school due to road conditions. We got a whopping half inch of snow on the ground. I can understand if the roads are a foot deep, but this is ridiculous.
I can remember when I was a student, if not for drifting we never would have missed for snow days. The kids are telling me the drivers are always screaming about having to drive in anything other than dry conditions so maybe they just can't find competent drivers anymore.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Snow days - 01/15/21 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Eastwood
What in the world is going on with the school systems now days. Kids was all bundled up standing at the door waiting to see the bus coming down the road when the phone rang, no school due to road conditions. We got a whopping half inch of snow on the ground. I can understand if the roads are a foot deep, but this is ridiculous.
I can remember when I was a student, if not for drifting we never would have missed for snow days. The kids are telling me the drivers are always screaming about having to drive in anything other than dry conditions so maybe they just can't find competent drivers anymore.

I think about this every time I get behind a school bus these days. When I went to school, we used to all gather in one spot for the bus. There would be 7 or 8 of us from the neighborhood and for most of us, it was about a 1/4 mile walk or more. These days, the bus stops in front of every house. I guess the indoctrination of entitlement begins even earlier than I assumed. Can't have the little darlings walk a block now can we.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Snow days - 01/15/21 01:27 PM

We had to walk about 200 yards from my house to where the bus stopped and picked us up.You cloud from there see down over the steep hill the bus had to drive up.Many a day with snow in the road the bus could not make the hill.The bus driver would be waving for me to walk down.I would wave back,walk back home grab my shotgun and beagle Hope and rabbit hunt all day.....those were the good old days grin
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Snow days - 01/15/21 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Eastwood

The sissyfying has no boundaries
Posted By: Don Adams

Re: Snow days - 01/15/21 01:35 PM

From what I have been told by my sister that still lives in the school district that we graduated from. Most schools can't afford the liability insurance if a bus or several buses get in an accident and the children get hurt. Very sad that insurance companies can't give schools a break on that.
Posted By: goldnut

Re: Snow days - 01/15/21 01:42 PM

More about the school system than spoiled kids. I think I read about kids all being picked up at their own houses was because of safety concerns.
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Snow days - 01/15/21 01:43 PM

Finster, we have three towns and the rural folks between them consolidated into a single school district. Kids in town all get on the buss at the post office but they do pick up the rural kids at every house or grouping of houses. We live down a dead end road 3/4 of a mile so they come to our house.
It makes no sense to me closing school for a half inch of snow how ever many stops they got.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Snow days - 01/15/21 01:50 PM

School is closed here today too but I can understand that - blowing snow and the roads are drifting shut. A half inch of snow shouldn't even slow down traffic!
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Snow days - 01/15/21 02:05 PM

Aw Andy, you just don't want to stay home and watch the kids! grin grin
Posted By: atrapper

Re: Snow days - 01/15/21 02:33 PM

Our area of Minnesota averages 60+ inches of snow each winter. Our district is the largest in the state with some families living as far as 40 miles away from the school. Yesterday we had freezing rain and 4'' of snow on top of that for the morning commute. Our district hasn't had a snow day in nearly 3 years. Heck, none of the buses were even late to school yesterday.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Snow days - 01/15/21 04:26 PM

The litigious society has caused a lot of this type of BS.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Snow days - 01/15/21 05:24 PM

Our school will jump on the snow days off every day that can get away with it. Our school district maxes out on snow days every year. We are a class D school district.
Posted By: Lazarus

Re: Snow days - 01/15/21 05:26 PM

Our kids can't go to school. They are all sitting at their computers doing "distance learning." My son is a Senior and hasn't been in a classroom in nearly a year.
Posted By: corky

Re: Snow days - 01/15/21 05:27 PM

Snow days seem to occur more on Fridays around here.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Snow days - 01/15/21 05:28 PM

"Here" not only does the bus stop at every house, even if the kids live next door to each other, but now the moms are driving the lil darlins down the driveway to wait by the road in the car....
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Snow days - 01/15/21 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by gcs
"Here" not only does the bus stop at every house, even if the kids live next door to each other, but now the moms are driving the lil darlins down the driveway to wait by the road in the car....

To many crazy drivers around now that won't stop for stopped school buses.I don't blame the parents one bit.

Re: Snow days - 01/15/21 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lazarus
Our kids can't go to school. They are all sitting at their computers doing "distance learning." My son is a Senior and hasn't been in a classroom in nearly a year.

Man, that is just sad. A kid's senior year should be one of the most fun of his life.
Posted By: bulletbox

Re: Snow days - 01/15/21 05:33 PM

Lawyers !!

One bus wreck and the school is closed...

Re: Snow days - 01/15/21 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by bulletbox
Lawyers !!

One bus wreck and the school is closed...

Why, when I was kid bus wrecks happened all the time! Every time the driver rolled the bus we all just got out and pushed the bus upright again! We was tough back then, I tell ya! grin
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Snow days - 01/15/21 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Aw Andy, you just don't want to stay home and watch the kids! grin grin

Pfffft
I am worried about the kids watching him- they will be picking up all manner of bad habits!
grin
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Snow days - 01/15/21 06:44 PM

Not the daddy time a guy is looking for. blush
© 2024 Trapperman Forums