Home

? on .22 long rifle drop of different fps rounds.

Posted By: Marty

? on .22 long rifle drop of different fps rounds. - 01/15/21 03:21 PM

So what is the point of impact difference (approx) for a .22 long rifle cartridge if the box says 1070 fps vs 1450fps or 1675 fps? Lets say @ 25, 50 and 100 yards.

I have different ammo and am thinking I might need to just stay with one type but I would not mind plinking with the less expensive stuff vs my good cci stingers or mini mags? The problem is getting the mind/muscle memory for hold overs down to where I do not need to think much about it....I know I need to test it for myself but I just wanted some opinions/discussion, thanks.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: ? on .22 long rifle drop of different fps rounds. - 01/15/21 03:29 PM

it all depends on your gun and what it does to each grouping
some like slow rounds and are tack drivers
the 1070f/s or 330m/sec drop about 2 inches at 50 and 7 inches at 100 when zero at 20 m

temp also is a great bearing on the barrels behaviour
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: ? on .22 long rifle drop of different fps rounds. - 01/17/21 06:13 AM

There is a significant drop with the 1070 FPS past 50 yards. compared to 1300 FPS and above.
My 22s are suppressed and I like the 1070 for being quiet, but I like the 1300 for longer shots. It is a big challenge to go back and forth between the two, especially when trying to estimate the distance of the shots on the fly.
I run the 1070 rounds in one rifle and the high velocity rounds in the other rifle.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: ? on .22 long rifle drop of different fps rounds. - 01/17/21 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
There is a significant drop with the 1070 FPS past 50 yards. compared to 1300 FPS and above.
My 22s are suppressed and I like the 1070 for being quiet, but I like the 1300 for longer shots. It is a big challenge to go back and forth between the two, especially when trying to estimate the distance of the shots on the fly.
I run the 1070 rounds in one rifle and the high velocityunds in the other rifle.

I do the same. One of my boys rifles is threaded and runs a suppressor so he shoots sub sonic ammo 1050 fps for quit shooting.
My other boy shoots cheap hv 1200+fps hp's.
But we are transitioning to .22 cal pellet guns for plinking, small game and dispatch. Why use up my good ammo when pellets due the job just as well and are on the shelf and cheap.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: ? on .22 long rifle drop of different fps rounds. - 01/17/21 01:11 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Brushmode

Re: ? on .22 long rifle drop of different fps rounds. - 01/17/21 05:46 PM

Another factor Is grain of bullet Cc stingers are lighter than normal 22
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: ? on .22 long rifle drop of different fps rounds. - 01/17/21 05:50 PM

I had some old Xperts that would not cycle the action tried newer ammo no problem.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: ? on .22 long rifle drop of different fps rounds. - 01/17/21 06:27 PM

High velocity rounds and the sound barrier. There is an effect and some destabilization of the bullet at the ranges where this takes place. Subsonic rounds obviously are not effected.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: ? on .22 long rifle drop of different fps rounds. - 01/17/21 06:27 PM

The old Xpert were different cases on the rim, slight indentation to hold the lead in place. changed around 2000 the manufacturing style.

Notice the chart was at 50*f or 10*c big differences when at 32 or 0C and even more at 12*f or -12c, the lead and the barrel behave much different.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: ? on .22 long rifle drop of different fps rounds. - 01/17/21 06:53 PM

I think the biggest factor is the length of the barrel! No an expert when it comes to rifles and ammo. Was at the rifle range and a guy had one of those thing that can tell you the speed of the bullet. Sorry I do not remember the speed in ft/per/sec.
I was shooting a S&W 642 snub nose, with 3 inch barrel. Must less than what the box said. Then shot a Heritage R.R with 6 inch barrel, the speed came up but not ever close to that it said on the box.. I think the speed is set shooting with a 22 inch barrel.
Shooting steel with the S&W I can not hear the round the steel, I can with the Heritage.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums