Home

Had to use ice picks

Posted By: Spade

Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 05:59 PM

Ever had this feeling that something was going to go wrong? Got up this am to check beaver sets, raining. Got to the first pond, nothing but I wanted to set a couple of rat houses that I've noticed fox have been crawling up on, I'm assuming to look around. Since it has been quite warm here I took the spud, and put my ice picks around my neck. Checking the ice, I got about half-way across, and the spud went right thru, I had just turned around to go back and the ice left go, and I ended up in about 8 feet of water. Long story short I was able to use my ice picks to get myself out, and trudge the quarter mile back to the atv, and get home, and here I sit, trying to get warmed up, and letting all trappers know: Holy Crap Be Careful Out There.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 06:03 PM

Scary.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 06:06 PM

glad you made it out and decided to carry the safety equipment.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 06:11 PM

Thats a scary thought... were you wearing waders?

I would have been and they probably would have flooded
Posted By: Kre

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 06:15 PM

I'm glad you're not dead.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 06:15 PM

I never wear waders when I'm trapping on ice.
Posted By: Lufkin Trapper

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 06:18 PM

Glad you had your picks with you, spade. I don't think you would be telling this tale if you didn't.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 06:24 PM

Close call I am glad you made it out
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 06:26 PM

And you yanks are scared of these little ole cottonmouths we have down south!!

I'll just keep looking out for and dodging the snakes..

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 06:28 PM

Quit wearing waders on ice a long time ago, but the snow boots were sure heavy trying to lift my legs up on the ice. If I had been further from home would have changed into dry clothes, I carry in the ATV box.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 06:28 PM

Been there takes your breath away when that cold water hits your neck.

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 06:30 PM

Honey comb ice or snakes don't want anything to do with either now

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 06:32 PM

Always thought that warm water makes you pee. believe me so does cold water
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 06:37 PM

You might have been over a spring
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 06:40 PM

did you loose your spud , I lost a nice one 25 years ago on a pond , at least I didn't go through with it

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 07:03 PM

Yep, Pete lost my spud, tried to use it across where I went thru, to hold myself up, would not hold on the ice, let it go and went for the ice picks. Wanted to take a pic of the ice but my phone it is currently laying in a bowl of rice.

By the way better half is threating to tie a rope to my butt.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 07:06 PM

At least you made it out.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Been there takes your breath away when that cold water hits your neck.

Takes your breath away when that water hits about your waist lol....

Glad you made it out safe Spade
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Spade
Yep, Pete lost my spud, tried to use it across where I went thru, to hold myself up, would not hold on the ice, let it go and went for the ice picks. Wanted to take a pic of the ice but my phone it is currently laying in a bowl of rice.

By the way better half is threating to tie a rope to my butt.

Nothing like Compassion and Support glad you came thrugh alright went thru many years ago just as i bent down to drop in a baited conibear ended up on top still had the set trap in both hands Bad ice here but even good ice is bad for me nowdays
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 07:55 PM

I have fallen through the ice countless times when I was younger, used to use an axe to get out if I couldn't touch. As I get older I'm much more careful.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 08:34 PM

Glad you are safe. We all can learn from your story.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 08:39 PM

Anytime I am around water with waders on I have a bungy cord around the top to hold in the air in case I stumble or fall down. The fire department had ice picks that stay retracted until you need them, both are on the same cord to put around your neck until needed.
This summer try your waders with a bungy cord around the top to see if it works for you. JMO
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/15/21 08:53 PM

Glad you're okay and took the extra time to prepare.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/16/21 05:17 AM

Dang it man
Glad your safe
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/16/21 05:38 AM

Your no fool...you were prepared ! So Iam thinking a lanyard with a sliding knot on your spud is not a good idea ????
Posted By: adam m

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/16/21 05:40 AM

Wow. I'm glad you were prepared and are home
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/16/21 05:42 AM

Glad your safe! Stories like yours are what keep the rest of us safe.

Think you could get your spud back with a strong magnet and a rope? Just don’t go back out on that ice!
Posted By: Broomchaser

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/16/21 10:30 AM

Glad you're safe.

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/16/21 11:01 AM

Nessmuck: I think in this situation it would have been a different story if I had the lanyard around my wrist, this spud is made out of 1 and 1/2 inch black pipe 5 feet long, but it gives that dull thud I like to hear on good ice, just took one to many steps before I checked the ice.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/16/21 11:49 AM

glad your ok , I did this when I was young , now if I think I need ice picks I don't go on the ice ,and this year there is bad ice

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/16/21 12:18 PM

Trapper Dahlgren: Always carry ice picks around my neck, good ice or not. They say you get smarter with age, sometimes I wonder.
With the warm temp, we have had at night, I should have known better
Posted By: Craig S.

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/16/21 12:19 PM

If the ice freezes up to where it would be safe enough to go back out on and you would want to try and reteieve the spud, harbor freight sells a cheap magnet that will lift up to 80 lbs. ( or so they claim- but they are strong!)ive used them to retrieve traps and an axe that slipped out of my hand while chopping around a feed pile in deep water... Definitely not worth risking your life over retrieving it, but it is an option or maybe could come back with a canoe in springtime and get it then . glad you ok!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hunter 1

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/16/21 12:57 PM

Did water safety/ self rescue training years ago. Wearing Mustang flotation bib pant and coat we had to jump in lake in middle of January (at -20). Most people don't realize how much energy it takes to use ice spikes to break ice and to roll out of the hole and once you get out it isn't over making your way to shelter is a struggle depending how far you are from truck or home.

Having ice spikes readily available and sealed material to start a quick fire are essential based on my personal experience.... the smart phone in coat pocket will not do much in this situation...must of us need to go back to the old way of doing things but again it always happen to others.. been there not fun.. scary stuff,
Posted By: rags57078

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/16/21 01:18 PM

Glad you made it out ok , I carry ice picks a lot and while ice fishing I wear a striker float suit
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/16/21 01:31 PM

I trap with a Frabil jacket that I use for ice fishing- PFD plus built in picks. I also have Frabil floating bibs, I found it interesting that the bibs are not an approved PFD and not Coast Guard approved... Reason: if you wear them without the jacket you can float... but upside down. Good to know lol.
[Linked Image]

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/16/21 03:16 PM

Eagleye: Someone on T-man years ago, convinced me not to wear chest waders while beaver trapping on ice conditions, it went something like this: If you go thru the ice and your over your chest waders, they fill with water and its darn near impossible to kick them off, (if you thinking clearly.) You can wear a wader belt, but if you go thru the ice, the air in them will turn you upside down in the water. Made sense to me so I quit wearing them. But, back then they didn't fit like the ones are available now, these were the old black rubber type, that you could fit 2 people in most of time,
Posted By: snowy

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/16/21 04:23 PM

A good story ending! Just those small protocol guidelines can save a life. I'm very glad you carry spikes something so simple and easy to do.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/16/21 05:05 PM

Done the same too many times, none were worth it.
Glad to hear you made out ok.

Osky
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Had to use ice picks - 01/16/21 09:17 PM

Glad you're ok.
Been through the ice more times than I ought.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums