Home

Question rat pelts

Posted By: coonman220

Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 01:01 AM

I ask this long ago, took some rats off boards today, use glove fjnger to try shine up pelt with oil residue on pelt, dry out, not enough residue but put box other, earlier I had 17 rats off, dry up look, took chunk coon fat from scraping an shine up pelt as told by bags to make look shiny an gleam under grader lite, rub fat lightly on all surface, kinda sticky so wipe paper towel , took some out box today, the pelt sound dry when move a little but sticky on fingers can rub coon fat across dry rat hide soak in to much an damage hair ?
Posted By: trapperman222

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 01:08 AM

Yes. Just like that.

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 01:22 AM

?
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 01:24 AM

Huh ?
Posted By: nimzy

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 01:47 AM

Vegetable oil. Winter rats generally donít need it.
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by coonman220
I ask this long ago, took some rats off boards today, use glove fjnger to try shine up pelt with oil residue on pelt, dry out, not enough residue but put box other, earlier I had 17 rats off, dry up look, took chunk coon fat from scraping an shine up pelt as told by bags to make look shiny an gleam under grader lite, rub fat lightly on all surface, kinda sticky so wipe paper towel , took some out box today, the pelt sound dry when move a little but sticky on fingers can rub coon fat across dry rat hide soak in to much an damage hair ?

Skin, flesh, stretch and leave alone till marketing!
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 02:11 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 02:19 AM

Put them in the freezer packed tight, they will quit drying out.

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 02:56 AM

U think rub piece coon fat across dry pelt would damage rat pelt ? Some are sticky, not do it again , hopefully not as the 17 are the better ones
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 04:11 AM

Never heard of rubbing nasty coon fat on muskrats . You are not going to polish a turd into a diamond. Watch some of Groenys videos and learn proper fur put up. That is going to be buying then if you are selling.
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 04:17 AM

Dave,I doubt you will ruin the fur.
Rubbing pelts with fat or a bit of oil,results in a shiney pelt with no crackling sound when they are handled.Over drying can be part of the cause.
Tom

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 04:31 AM

I don't know if should give FHA a try, anything like nafa? Never have, I not want hear about $5 or $6 coon average, like at least try for better,
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 04:33 AM

Sure, why not give them a try.

Iím pretty sure, either way, you wonít be happy with the results.

What do you have to lose?

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 05:29 AM

I guess it depends on when you need the money. Same day you sell or 6 months from now or maybe never.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 12:28 PM

The never ending search for a use of coon fat. Don't think you damaged them coonman but definitely not needed. So much coon fat...... probably solve the energy shortage one day burning all that's tossed! Lol
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 12:37 PM

I would think you would need a straight run of superior 4-5 x coon to do much better than a 6.00 average anywhere in todays market. Hopefully I am wrong.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by bankrunner
Never heard of rubbing nasty coon fat on muskrats . You are not going to polish a turd into a diamond. Watch some of Groenys videos and learn proper fur put up. That is going to be buying then if you are selling.

A guy I know that has done thousands of fur handling demonstrations at conventions all over the US used to recommend rubbing coon fat on muskrat hides right before you shipped. I've never done it but I don't see any harm in doing it.

Originally Posted by nimzy
Vegetable oil. Winter rats generally donít need it.

Pay attention coonman, this feller knows of what he speaks. Don't lose much sleep over it, you didn't harm the pelts.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 01:35 PM

Dave listen to the above trapper 49er and nimzy have wacked a few rats in their time.

One thing to remember is a rat with poor nutrition will have a thin skin and feel like what you are describing, the oil does settle them down a little in that crinkle noise.
Posted By: skratmandoo

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 02:59 PM

Hate to say it bud, but if they are some of your better rats and they are crinkly, they were over fleshed, and you cant change that. Furbuyer might not mind, groeny will tell you if he thinks you overfleshed, he sells to china by weight.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 03:23 PM

Didn't coonman ask the same question last year...? Either he doesn't remember or he likes to get responses from people.

Reminds me of cl or fb people who want to make a deal on something, communicate a few times, and then a person wants to set up a meeting--like I'm coming through your 'burb town today--they go quiet and never hear from them again. Its an on-line mind game for a certain set of people...
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 04:53 PM

How much an hour will your trapping job pay this year? Somehow I bet that evil employer is paying you more per hour than Groeny will. Follow the money.

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
How much an hour will your trapping job pay this year? Somehow I bet that evil employer is paying you more per hour than Groeny will. Follow the money.

About $.25 an hour unless you are rat trapping big numbers in easy conditions, which he has neither.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by skratmandoo
Hate to say it bud, but if they are some of your better rats and they are crinkly, they were over fleshed, and you cant change that. Furbuyer might not mind, groeny will tell you if he thinks you overfleshed, he sells to china by weight.

OVER DRIED Is worse then over fleshing and then when you do both you end up with $1.00 rats.

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 06:46 PM

Rats probly ok, just concerned about sticky to touch, from wipe coon fat on them,not in trapping for money I guess not

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 07:23 PM

Coonman I think Dirt has a job for you
in the summer he will guarantee 10,000 smack-a-roues an hour
can you get to The Armpit of Alaska ?

Can you stretch and flesh 10,000 mosquitoes an hour ?
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/16/21 07:28 PM

We have no mosquitoes anymore, since we put ADF&G in charge of managing their abundance. Works for fish and moose too. smile
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/17/21 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
We have no mosquitoes anymore, since we put ADF&G in charge of managing their abundance. Works for fish and moose too. smile

Just spit out my drink.....

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/17/21 09:08 PM

Any possibilities on him working on Black flies.... DIRT ? Or does that fall under the Dept of Agriculture ?
We got to find some job he can fit in the nitch
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/17/21 09:33 PM

I found a decent antelope skull cap & horns out in my garage today that I don't remember off which buck goat I shot. I thought I remembered all the decent ones I've taken. Coonman I think is only 2-3 years older than me and so maybe he truly doesn't remember asking the same question about rubbing grease/oil on his mrat hides last year. "Senior moments" are an interesting fact of aging...
Posted By: Actor

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/17/21 09:43 PM

I would suggest if your rats are coming off of the boards dull and lack luster... it is because the rats were dirty when you put them up. Do you wash your rats or just catch skin them and board them????

I have seen rats that come out oareas that are very silty... have that look. If that is it, try this:

1 .Catch rat, skin rat, flesh rat...
2. In a clean bucket fill half full of barely warm water...
3. Add a table spoon of Dawn dish soap, the blue kind...
4.With fur side out, put your rats in solution in the bucket.
5. Stir up dish soap until you get a good foam going...
6. Work the pelts in the water vigorously, especially the under side and around the head.
7. Sqeese water out of pelt. DO NOT WRING pelt out.
8. In another bucket or sink, or whatever water container you have handy, fill half full of clean clear water, barely warm rinse soap out of pelt inside and out.
9. Hang pelt fur side out, to drip for about an hour or more.
10. The fur should be about dry in an hour. If not rub dry with a towel or other rag and let them hang a while longer. If you are using boards don't put on board with wet fur.
11. Snap shake the fur if dry until it is dry and board it.
12. When you remove from the board, when dry, use a fur or dog brush to brush it out nice and it should shine like it should.

Good luck... it looks like there is more work to it than there is... just trying to make it is clear as what you need to do.

Garry-

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/17/21 11:15 PM

Oh man Garry, I catch a lotta rats in some purty mucky conditions, once dried and combed, they are ready to go, hope I never have to use that twelve step system...

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/17/21 11:24 PM

I can't imaging having to do that when I have 50 rats on the floor.

A air compressor will blow out any dirt and fluff up the fur. It only takes about 2 seconds. And If you want to dry wet rats use the air compressor. You can blow dry a rat In seconds using this method.

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/17/21 11:27 PM

Can you imagine having to do that with 50 rats waiting to be boarded.

Get out the air compressor and blow out any dirt and fluff the fur at the same time. And if you have wet rats you can blow dry them In seconds.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/17/21 11:39 PM

You can say that again Beav!

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/17/21 11:48 PM

Can someone archive this thread.

What is missed
remains a mystery
what is hit
is History/

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/18/21 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Can you imagine having to do that with 50 rats waiting to be boarded.

Get out the air compressor and blow out any dirt and fluff the fur at the same time. And if you have wet rats you can blow dry them In seconds.

Worst case scenario is hold the feet and give a couple snaps, wrap in newspaper helps and use a leaf blower if no compressor. Rub in snow helps too.
Getting a rat wet after its skinned is really hard to dry and usually mats the fur. Buyers hate that period.
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/18/21 02:43 AM

I put newspaper in the totes I am using ,when trapping rats. I usually start out wrapping the rats in newspaper as I catch them. That doesn't usually last long as the number of rats I am catching at that time increases. I then use the snap method to remove much of the water.I then lay them on newspaper in the totes. More paper is put on the top of that layer.This process continues as I go along.
When I get home,all rats are laid on cardboard covered with newspaper,I then turn on a big fan to help in the drying process.
When I start skinning,those first rats that were totally wrapped in newspaper are dry and ready to skin.By the time I finish those ,the fan has dried the next ones in line.
I do wipe the rats with newspaper as I am laying them out for the fan. And I have used a leaf blower at times to help in drying,when I had access to one.
Drying before skinning leads to a beautiful fur and less problems and work in the long run.
I do love those water rodents.
Tom
Posted By: sjc

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/18/21 03:08 AM

I hang my rats by their teeth with a fan running. My fur shed is a two car garage, so the door tracks work well. I also have a couple wires hung for that purpose. They dry really fast. When I come in from checking traps, I take the dry ones down to skin and hang the ones I just caught.
[Linked Image]

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/18/21 03:32 AM

Gentlemen... don't get excited... I was trying to help this man with his problem, not to broadcast a tutorial. There are problably members on here that don't own a leaf blower or a compressor and have not been properly schooled in the art of handeling a rat or other pelts properly. This may not be the best or the quickest was to solve a problem, but it iis a way to do it and come out with a good looking pelt. That is what we all want to have and we are here to help if at all possible, not condem someone that has been schooled in some the proper techniques.

Garry-

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/18/21 04:05 AM

Garry, you're alright, I wasnt trying to poo poo your procedure, just BSing a bit..... Hows the muskrat tanning going?

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/18/21 04:09 AM

I just got done skinning and stretching fifteen rats that I caught today, snow rolled. Full dry. Had to chop up the crusty snow!

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/18/21 04:21 AM

Stretched on wood

Re: Question rat pelts - 01/18/21 04:26 AM

I gotcha... Tanning is going pretty good I added 1 mink, 2 coons to the pickel bath today along with the 2 rats I already had in there. I am trying varying techniques to try and improve the quality and time to the finished product. I am still learning things at almost 80 (2 1/2 weeks to go).

I was a technical writer for 7 years back in the 1960s and it stayed with me. I hate to read how to do something and the writer leaves out half of the details. If I have to guess what to do next, why waste my time reading about it in the first place. So I never try to keep anyone guessing. If somene asks me how to do it... you had better pack a lunch, because I am going to give you all of the details.

I have had to train too many people at various things in my life and I always tell them, write it down... because if you ask one thing about doing what I have already told you...the first time you ask, I think, maybe I wasn't clear... the second time you ask, I think maybe you weren't paying attention... and the third time, I just figure you are stupid and didn't write it down and you need to go elsewhere to find a job.

About tanning... I pulled two coons from the freezer yesterday that I put in there 3 years ago and they were as fresh as if I had put them in last week. I have a couple more in there that I put in there 4 years ago and anxious to see they will turn out.

Take care,

Garry-
© 2021 Trapperman Forums