I wouldn`t really call that BUYING.lol
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/16/21 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
I thought it was about cheese

laugh
Posted By: The Beav

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/16/21 06:33 PM

Some of those put up coon brought some decent money. Rats are still In the $3.00 average. Coyotes same kind of money but you can't expect any decent money On WI coyotes.
That was only one stop and look at all the NO Value fur he kept.
Posted By: otterdog

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/16/21 06:54 PM

What I don’t understand is why do they let him keep the supposed no value fur and why does he want to keep it if there is no value??? He says no value and then he pitches it in the back with all the other fur of value. Lol
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/16/21 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by otterdog
What I don’t understand is why do they let him keep the supposed no value fur and why does he want to keep it if there is no value??? He says no value and then he pitches it in the back with all the other fur of value. Lol

LOL... TRUTH!
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/16/21 07:15 PM

After Groeny finished, he had extra time to stop and see the super bowl trophies. How bout where you live. Bahaha......all in good fun.

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/16/21 08:53 PM

In most case's that fur hasn't been put up and there Is probably a reason for that. So after groney tells the guy his fur has no value what Is he going to do.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/16/21 09:07 PM

In most case's that fur hasn't been put up and there Is probably a reason for that. So after groney tells the guy his fur has no value what Is he going to do.

Give it back to the trapper and say "do what you want with it, I don't want it". If was the trapper who was told it was of "no value", I can throw it away just as easy as GFW can. My garbage man takes trash...
Posted By: 080808

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/16/21 09:19 PM

2X
Posted By: trapperman222

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/16/21 09:51 PM

Its obviously worth something. They will put it up and it will sell.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/16/21 10:01 PM

If he wants my "no value" pelts he can take the bags of garbage from the back of my truck as well.

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/16/21 10:39 PM

You can bet Groney is making something off that no value fur or he wouldn’t be keeping it. I’m not faulting him. Hey if the trapper lets him take it that’s all on the trapper. I personally would not let him take it.
Posted By: salemtrapper

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/16/21 10:45 PM

We sold not to long to them. They asked the guy before us if he wanted it back or not.. and we had one small coon he asked if we wanted it back, that he didn't want it.
Posted By: rosscoak

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/16/21 10:48 PM

What a joke, I see 2 good ruffs in that no value coyote fur. Pointing out a defect doesn't make it worthless.he isn't helping trappers. He's a spot buyer and working hru a tiny hole reminds me of the wizard of Oz and a carnival.
lol
Might as well sell the skulls and toss the fur and be money head.
Originally Posted by Bruce T

laugh

^^AGREE
Posted By: rosscoak

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/16/21 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by forestman3
I wouldn`t really call that BUYING.lol

Spot on
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/16/21 11:06 PM

Groeny Rocks!!
Posted By: lobo

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 01:18 AM

Here's a thought. Since almost all the no value coon were green, take em home and put the work into finishing them and then take em back and see what he offers. Or better yet ship em off and wait for the big check.
Posted By: AJE

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 02:03 AM

I personally would not let him take it.

X2. I can't imagine why anyone would give it away.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 02:21 AM

I didn't watch but were they kids leaving their "no value" fur or hound hunters?

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 03:21 AM

It wasn't kids and i don't know if they were hound hunters or trappers. But normally If you see put up fur It's trappers fur. Most dog hunters don't put up fur.
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 05:04 AM

A $2 coon to the seller may be worth $4 to the buyer. When it's only worth $2 to the buyer it has zero value to the seller. At least that's how I interpret it when he says no value.

Someone looking to take advantage of people doesn't post live offerings on the world wide web for everyone to see.. whether I agree with their prices or not, I do appreciate them making an effort to educate and explain with their videos.

Ol dad

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 05:14 AM

A $2 coon to the seller may be worth $4 to the buyer. When it's only worth $2 to the buyer it has zero value to the seller. At least that's how I interpret it when he says no value.

ol' dad- you economics may be right, but that doesn't make it "right" that they take it for nothing. The right thing to do would be to say, "I can make some money on this fur but I can't by giving you something for it. Because of that situation, I can't take it from you." At least that's what my moral code would do. Then again, I'd probably not last long buying fur. Everybody has to figure on what they can get to sleep at night doing to and doing for people.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 05:20 AM

It does not take too much for coons from our region to be too dark and in this market that really hurts value at least as GFW grades and buys coon. I am watching closely the rat prices and grading. I plan to sell some in the next couple weeks.

Bryce

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 05:29 AM

The trick for selling rats to groney Is to find 15 of your best friends and give them some of your rats to sell. Groney always pays better on small lots then he does large lots.

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 05:39 AM

I'd probably not last long buying fur.

I take this part of my statement back because I know at least 2 fur buyers on this forum that simply wouldn't buy certain species when I asked this year. Maybe it was more of a hassle of moving said fur, but maybe they also didn't want to get into a situation where the only way they made money on a pelt was if they got it without paying for it.
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
The trick for selling rats to groney Is to find 15 of your best friends and give them some of your rats to sell. Groney always pays better on small lots then he does large lots.

And I would guarantee if you took your best 10- 18" winter rats you would only get 2 $6 for tops.
Posted By: coyote addict

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 08:01 AM

15 .00 for a otter ? Not this guy .
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 08:19 AM

It's simple business, especially processing and retail business. You offer Groeny a fur that HE can only make $5 on, and that's only after he finishes it? What do you think his guys' time is worth to make it sellable? If he can only resell it for $5, and it costs him $5 to process it, then it's zero value at the wholesale table.

My guess is he takes break-even hides on a gamble hoping the market might tick up a little. Obviously other buyers don't want to take that risk with their labor and storage, so they refuse the zeros. That's their choice, but I don't see how it would be unethical for Groeny to accept something that someone offers him for free. You'd probably be more insulted if he offered you 25 cents smile
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 09:37 AM

I like this^^^^ Everybody I saw on the video was offered their fur back when it was of no value to the buyer, that they didn't want it wasn't his fault. At least they don't show anyone throwing it in a garbage can. If you caught an animal with mange would you try to sell it? Same with sub par unfinished fur, these trappers need to learn what fur is to be kept, let go, or disposed of themselves. All part of the learning curve. Sadly in today's marketplace lots of fur has little to no value.
Posted By: nimzy

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by bblwi
It does not take too much for coons from our region to be too dark and in this market that really hurts value at least as GFW grades and buys coon. I am watching closely the rat prices and grading. I plan to sell some in the next couple weeks.

Bryce

What’s your rush? I thought you’re supposed to sell into strength. Worldwide mink production is down 90%.

If we keep feeding a ridiculously cheap market things will never improve. And btw a $5 average rat is NOT good money!

The market is “set” carry on

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by KenaiKid
It's simple business, especially processing and retail business. You offer Groeny a fur that HE can only make $5 on, and that's only after he finishes it? What do you think his guys' time is worth to make it sellable? If he can only resell it for $5, and it costs him $5 to process it, then it's zero value at the wholesale table.

My guess is he takes break-even hides on a gamble hoping the market might tick up a little. Obviously other buyers don't want to take that risk with their labor and storage, so they refuse the zeros. That's their choice, but I don't see how it would be unethical for Groeny to accept something that someone offers him for free. You'd probably be more insulted if he offered you 25 cents smile

Like I said I don’t fault Groney for this practice. If the trapper lets him keep it that is all on the trapper I personally would not let him keep it.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by ol' dad

Someone looking to take advantage of people doesn't post live offerings on the world wide web for everyone to see.. whether I agree with their prices or not, I do appreciate them making an effort to educate and explain with their videos.

Ol dad

yes
Posted By: walleye101

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by nimzy

If we keep feeding a ridiculously cheap market things will never improve.

This summarizes the current market perfectly. The strategy of selling local in a down market may come back to bite us all when eventually there is no other market.
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by ol' dad

Ol dad

I Agree
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 01:58 PM

Did anyone believe that those no value yotes... if pulled from the truck would command higher value with another buyer?
I think sometimes we start to believe our own BS... If I brought in a bunch of moldy, put-up wet rats (and I wouldn't) my expectation would not be $4 ea.
I think the disappointment comes from adding value to poor quality fur, skinning, putting it up and being told it's worthless, instead of throwing it away- it must be easier to villainize the buyer when he does.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 02:35 PM

Ya I would of thought the seller would of wiped the mold off.As easy as rats are to put up I don`t know how you could screw that up.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by walleye101
Originally Posted by nimzy

If we keep feeding a ridiculously cheap market things will never improve.

This summarizes the current market perfectly. The strategy of selling local in a down market may come back to bite us all when eventually there is no other market.

You are wasting your breath with this crowd. Mushrooms are shining! Off to make some money, not trapping, again today.

The rest of you boys, enjoy your bonding with nature!
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 05:13 PM

Sometimes trappers are so dumb and lazy. Wonder why the market will probably not recover in the next few years if ever? In that video, look how many extra hides will hit the market because they were no value and left. 20, 30, 40 a day at his stops. Then how many stops a week x year. All flooded into a crappy market.They aren't even measuring the rats like they do at real fur buyer.

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 05:44 PM

I know quite a few trappers In my area and none of them are targeting coon and very few are even trapping rats. Sure we are catching some incidental coon In rat sets and coyotes sets. Most of the large numbers of green skinned coon being sold are dog hunted.
Coon hunters have a yard full of dogs to feed and run so they feel the need to kill coon. A trapper can leave his traps hanging In the shed with no cost to him.
I'm betting most of coon being sold to groney In my area are dog hunted. Sorry dog hunters, but most of you know very little about putting up fur or just don't care. Rough skin In the field bring them home and toss In the freezer.
Posted By: hippie

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 06:27 PM

Sounds like the perfect money making gig for those that think there's money in the no value fur.

Buy yourself a fur dealers license, truck and fuel. Then follow Groeny around and offer those with no value fur a couple bucks for it.

Then sell it and make a mint!!! laugh

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 06:39 PM

The problem with that, Is you don't have a MARKET for that NO Value fur. But Groney does.
For the most part I feel that groney Is doing you a favor by taking that fur. What are you going to do? Take It home and put It up or toss In back In the freezer or throw It In the ditch.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 06:41 PM

Packer Country Rocks!!
Posted By: Dirt

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 06:41 PM

There is money in no value fur. Maybe not for the trapper or the middlemen. The guy at the end of the no value fur chain is going to make money or go out of business.

Most of the fur trappers/hunters are selling to Groeny is" no value" ( unprofitable ) to those producers.

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 07:02 PM

The problem with that, Is you don't have a MARKET for that NO Value fur. But Groney does.
For the most part I feel that groney Is doing you a favor by taking that fur. What are you going to do? Take It home and put It up or toss In back In the freezer or throw It In the ditch.

I agree, I was recommending that to those who see value in it and think Groeny is taking the trappers over.

If Groeny can make it work, surely someone else can? Lol

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Sounds like the perfect money making gig for those that think there's money in the no value fur.

Buy yourself a fur dealers license, truck and fuel. Then follow Groeny around and offer those with no value fur a couple bucks for it.

I’m not disputing Groney’s claim of no value. I firmly believe he can’t afford to pay for that type fur. I’m asking why does the trapper let him keep it when he obviously making something off of it or he wouldn’t be keeping it.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 07:20 PM

If one of us would offer a seller $1 for the bottom 20-25% of his green WI coons before they were graded by a buyer we would be lucky to be alive. Sellers and me included really are not able and or willing to accept that if I catch 50 typical eastern WI coons from October 25th to November 10th that probably 15 to 20 of them are worth little to nothing as payment to the harvester. There were $1 coons back when the market was $15 put up on average so in reality the only thing that has changed is more are worth $1 and the top has dropped by 300%.

Bryce
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by hippie

I’m not disputing Groney’s claim of no value. I firmly believe he can’t afford to pay for that type fur. I’m asking why does the trapper let him keep it when he obviously making something off of it or he wouldn’t be keeping it.

That’s right...it all goes in the same pile in his truck. So he’s either putting it all up or grading it twice. And why would he waste his time grading twice? It doesn’t take much to figure that out.

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/17/21 11:34 PM

Doesn't take any expert to sort out NO Value fur anyone can do It. That's why they got Those $5.00 an hour beaners.
Posted By: NWS,LLC

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/18/21 12:28 AM

It is possible that the “no value” pile is low grade fur he is not willing to put out cash on when considering known cost of processing/handling and additional unknown levels of damage discovered at time of processing. Some of that no value fur is likely salvageable for marketing after processing, however the percentage cannot likely be calculated thus the no value payout.
At current reported fur values, fur trapping does not appear profitable for the majority of trappers when considering all expenses and value of time.
Posted By: blackhammer

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/18/21 04:52 PM

He graded fur with about as much precision of hurrying through a bunch of deer hides. After the hard work of harvesting fur I think I would find that a bit disrespectful

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/18/21 06:41 PM

Anyone who has looked at millions of hides a year for 30 years or more should be able to grade those skins with his eyes closed.
Those expert auction house fur graders don't spend 15 or 20 minutes per pelt trying to decide the grade. Practice makes perfect
I'm betting groney and his route men are some of those individuals.

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/18/21 06:48 PM

The gift that keeps giving.

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/18/21 10:16 PM

Anyone who has looked at millions of hides a year for 30 years or more should be able to grade those skins with his eyes closed.
Those expert auction house fur graders don't spend 15 or 20 minutes per pelt trying to decide the grade. Practice makes perfect
I'm betting groney and his route men are some of those individuals.
. I’m sure they don’t buy on averages either Beav. Or just throw out prices numbers depending on their mood. LOL

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/18/21 11:58 PM

They know exactly what they are going to pay for your fur before you even get it out of the truck. I guess you could call that buying on a average. But his route men know how to grade fur.

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/19/21 12:11 AM

They know exactly what they are going to pay for your fur before you even get it out of the truck. I guess you could call that buying on a average. But his route men know how to grade fur.
. I have no doubt there excellent graders. Unfortunately they can manipulate the grade for an average perhaps below the furs actual value

Re: BUYING LIVE IN PACKER COUNTRY! - 01/19/21 04:51 AM

Spot on.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums