Home

MB 650 traps.

Posted By: 2zwudz

MB 650 traps. - 01/17/21 01:40 PM

I’m just getting started coyote trapping and I have 6 MB 650 traps. I have read where Mark June says to stay with one trap and get good and familiar with it! My question is should I stay with the 650’s or go with the 550’s. It seems more people like the 550’s better for coyotes? Although I haven’t used them yet I really like the 650’s.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: MB 650 traps. - 01/17/21 01:48 PM

Uniformity speeds up the line while setting. I have both traps the MB650 OS are one fine trap.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: MB 650 traps. - 01/17/21 02:01 PM

Lots of people say lots of stuff. Only way to find out what you like is to go trapping and get experience. Try different stuff. No short cuts to experience. Just keep trapping
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: MB 650 traps. - 01/17/21 02:17 PM

Agree with Danny but I own 5 dozen MB 550s and really like them.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: MB 650 traps. - 01/17/21 02:25 PM

I would take the 650 over the 550 all day long.But that`s just me.
Posted By: Scott T

Re: MB 650 traps. - 01/17/21 02:30 PM

Check your laws. MB650 might be to large to set on land.

Re: MB 650 traps. - 01/17/21 02:32 PM

It’s ok where I’m at.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: MB 650 traps. - 01/17/21 02:36 PM

If you want to try another trap, do it. Figure out which you like best before going all in with a favorite. You may need different sizes for different situations anyhow. You can always sell them if they aren’t for you.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: MB 650 traps. - 01/17/21 02:45 PM

Nice traps.I would keep them.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: MB 650 traps. - 01/17/21 03:52 PM

Love my 650's, just can't use them everywhere. Will be taking a look at the new MB dogless (550 size) when its available later this summer. Like the look of the No BS K9 Jr 4 coil but they got to resolve the pan tension issue.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: MB 650 traps. - 01/17/21 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Scott__aR
Love my 650's, just can't use them everywhere. Will be taking a look at the new MB dogless (550 size) when its available later this summer. Like the look of the No BS K9 Jr 4 coil but they got to resolve the pan tension issue.

The new MB is an inch bigger jaw spread than the 550. 550 frame but jaw spread in the #3 range
Posted By: Calvin

Re: MB 650 traps. - 01/17/21 04:36 PM

If you are just starting out, keep testing traps/lure and baits against one another. That said, after I did that for decades I settled on the 650 cast jawed version for coyotes. So maybe you're already there (and a lot smarter than I am).

Re: MB 650 traps. - 01/17/21 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Calvin
If you are just starting out, keep testing traps/lure and baits against one another. That said, after I did that for decades I settled on the 650 cast jawed version for coyotes. So maybe you're already there (and a lot smarter than I am).

Is there a benefit with the cast jaw???
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: MB 650 traps. - 01/17/21 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by 2zwudz

No welding if you want thicker jaws on your traps.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: MB 650 traps. - 01/17/21 05:22 PM

Only real down fall to cast jaws is if they get ran over.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: MB 650 traps. - 01/17/21 05:42 PM

I started out with 550s then went to bridger #3s. The 3s worked well and I just stuck with them for convenience. Alot of good traps out there to chose from. Size and trigger setup are the two biggest differences to worry about. But my opinion is the trap u use plays a very very small role in the amount of fur you catch especially with the quality of traps we have access to today across the board. Better off putting miles on your boots and experience in your bag than over thinking and trying 10 different traps. 550s were a little small for how I trap in my opinion. Too many toe catches which is a near miss in my opinion. And I know alot of you dont feel the same way so no need to tell me I'm wrong.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: MB 650 traps. - 01/17/21 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by 2zwudz

The cast jaws are flat/wide and have a bit of a sandpaper texture to them. I believe they add some grip over rolled steel laminations. I noticed this most when I held muddy coon by the tapered back foot. Not an easy feat in many offset jawed trap. This was after me prodding them abit trying to get them to pull free.

Also, I release a couple fox every year without any visual foot damage. By looking at and setting this trap you wouldn't think that would be the case...but it is. The combination of offset gap size and wide flat/abrasive jaws make it a pretty fox friendly trap in reality. I know Asa also commented years ago that was his finding as well (and what got me thinking more about this trap initially).

Overall (For me) when compared to other coyote traps I've used over the years, I just have the highest catch percentage with this trap by far. To each his own, however.

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: MB 650 traps. - 01/17/21 06:44 PM

Sounds Great Calvin. I have OS 650s but not cast
Posted By: 3togo

Re: MB 650 traps. - 01/17/21 07:04 PM

Illinois inside jaw spread is 6-1/2". 650's are ok.

I have 6 cast and a couple Outside laminated. I like both. I also have 2 dozen 550's. Some regular some offset. I always save some 550's for areas where I might catch a fox because I like to let them go if possible. But they both work well, and if you have a foot of something in there it isn't going anywhere.

You will need to check and adjust the pan tension on the 650's. Some folks don't like them because the hold down jaw makes it hard to reach under the pan to set the night latch. You can work around that issue. But they bed easy.
Posted By: AJE

Re: MB 650 traps. - 01/17/21 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by 3togo

You will need to check and adjust the pan tension on the 650's.
A lot of people never touch the pan tension on 650s & do just fine for canine & bobcat.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums