Home

Braunswager / liverwurst

Posted By: nvwrangler

Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/18/21 05:55 PM

Any one make their own?

Recipe?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/18/21 06:08 PM

never had that many livers , but I sure enjoy a Braunschweiger sandwich from time to time. with a slice of red onion on rye and a bit of brown mustard.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/18/21 06:36 PM

Nope but I do enjoy eating it sandwich style.

Osky
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/18/21 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Horse Creek Fur
My Uncle and I made it out of deer livers from a recipe he got out of a very expensive sausage making book I bought him. It was a gooey mess to make but it was fantastic. When you cooked it and ate it hot it was nothing like liverwurst and was delicious. When it was refrigerated it tasted like liverwurst then. Can’t help you with the recipe but it’s probably pretty standard. Good luck!

Could you share the recipe?
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/18/21 06:44 PM

My 13 year old daughter eat a 1 lb tube a week usually spread in crackers.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/18/21 06:52 PM

Made liverwurst out of goose breasts one year. The taste was very close, but it was dry. We mashed it up and added mayo and that helped. It was best on Ritz crackers
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/18/21 09:52 PM

Used to make deer liverwurst with my grandfather. It was a bout ten spices, deer liver, and fatty pork. Used to put it in the grinder about three times on the smallest holes while chilling the mixture in-between grinds. If you wanted it to be braunswager you had to smoke the liverwurst
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/19/21 01:24 AM

I would rather eat food if given a choice.

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/19/21 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl

Like grits ? Ill pass
Posted By: charles

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/19/21 01:36 AM

Grits is 100% corn. White or yellow, stone ground. Who doesn’t like corn?
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/19/21 01:39 AM

I’m following, I really enjoy Braunswager. Would be interested in making myself.

Friend of mine made Goose Pate’. It taste similar to liverwurst, he used goose breast, livers, and fat. Was also good, with red onion on ritz crackers. I think it was a Hank Shaw recipe he used

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/19/21 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by JoMiBru
I’m following, I really enjoy Braunswager. Would be interested in making myself.

Friend of mine made Goose Pate’. It taste similar to liverwurst, he used goose breast, livers, and fat. Was also good, with red onion on ritz crackers. I think it was a Hank Shaw recipe he used

Ill make a batch the end of February and let you know how it turns out
Posted By: JackD

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/20/21 03:28 AM

After working in a meat packing plant liver sausage is the one thing you couldn't pay me to eat.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/20/21 03:34 AM

I usually use it in DP's
Posted By: Marty

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/20/21 03:35 AM

laugh
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/20/21 03:53 AM

I love braunschweiger but my wife doesn't like it so it's rare for it to show up in our fridge.

She says, "It's gross, why would you subject yourself to that?"

I replied, "Smearing bat guano on your eyelashes is gross too, but you do it everyday."

And that's when the fight started.

Mike
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/20/21 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
I love braunschweiger but my wife doesn't like it so it's rare for it to show up in our fridge.

I replied, "Smearing bat guano on your eyelashes is gross too, but you do it everyday."

Mike

Lol, I'm getting better at just keeping those types of responses in my head. Less grief.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/20/21 04:04 AM

Have you given it an honest try? Good liverwurst spread on fresh home made bread bites and mustard! Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh!
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/20/21 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town

Mike

LOL!!!
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/20/21 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun

Have you given it an honest try? Good liverwurst spread on fresh home made bread bites and mustard! Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh!

Yes I have, and was able to hold it down. My taste buds have not forgiven me yet.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/20/21 05:44 AM

A buddy just gave me a couple packages of summer sausage and Moose liverwurst he had done at a processer in Anchorage. The summer sausage was not that great I prefer my own ,but the braunswager was to die for have been eating a sandwich every day. We don't have it in the store here. I want try make my own if I can.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/20/21 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by JackD
After working in a meat packing plant liver sausage is the one thing you couldn't pay me to eat.

I got the same way with salmon, commercial fishing them. Now I am just a fish snob, I suppose.
If I worked at a plant dealing with liver or other gut meat I am sure I would have an aversion to the products.
But, like most things that are available people tend to gravitate to the better of what is available. I would love to turn a pile of well handled Sitka Blacktail liver into liver wurst.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/20/21 05:54 PM

Used to make braunswager from venison hearts and livers. Lot of years we would have a dozen or more deer. Man was it good, I like with sweet onion the same thickness as the meat with miracle whip. Best sandwich I ever had. Mike
Posted By: MJM

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/20/21 07:31 PM

I typed this out twice and the computer lost its connection both times. So I gave up on that idea. I won't eat it myself.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Braunswager / liverwurst - 01/20/21 07:36 PM

My favorite recipe... click here
© 2024 Trapperman Forums