Home

Current Fur Prices

Posted By: Outdoors Guy

Current Fur Prices - 01/18/21 08:49 PM

What are your guys fur prices looking like currently? I find it interesting to see how different parts of the country and Canada can vary so differently in pricing! Lets hear it down below! Here in Southern MN my local buyer is right around this for the following animals (take it as averages as some could be a bit more or less as always)

Raccoon - $4
Coyote - $50
Muskrat - $4
Red and Grey Fox - Will buy a handful frozen if really nice, if skinned only a few bucks
Skunks - $4
Beaver - $5 Green with kits out
Beaver Castor - $80-85 a pound dried
Mink - Couple bucks
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/18/21 08:57 PM

Before season, my only local buyer told me that he thought he’d be able pay close to last year’s prices of $5.50 for beavers, but for reasons out of his control, he closed down. I’m not expecting him to open up again this season, and I don’t think it’s his fault, considering his storm damage and market conditions.

Fur trapping is dead around here if shipping is the only option.

Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/18/21 08:59 PM

Muskrat and coyotes aren't bad at all.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/18/21 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T

No they aren't

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/18/21 09:05 PM

how are things in Maine compared to here?
Posted By: nyrat

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/18/21 09:48 PM

yesterday went to fur auction to buy fur paid 7,00 for 4xl green coon 8 for male mink 5 bucks for red fox beaver under 50 inchs 2.00 each
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/18/21 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Outdoors Guy
how are things in Maine compared to here?

$3 muskrats.Coyotes been hearing below $10
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/18/21 10:08 PM

I'm betting he isn't paying a $50.00 average on coyotes.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/18/21 10:12 PM

And I would doubt if the muskrat average was $4.00.

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/18/21 10:13 PM

For good prime fur as always is the average he is not counting the bad rubs and such sorry i didn't not put that in my post

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/19/21 12:07 AM

So you were actually quoting prices for the top end goods.
Posted By: countrygun

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/19/21 01:12 AM

Basis, furbuyers always quote on basis, which is the top end.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/19/21 01:19 AM

Around here probably be :

Beaver: if you held a gun to a buyer, which we don't have any of.

Coon: if you cocked the gun and looked real mean at him/her.

Probably only way to get anyone to 'buy' them here.

Can't really recall a time the fur market was this dead in my lifetime.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/19/21 01:20 AM

[Linked Image]

Basis

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/19/21 02:41 AM

Yeah I feel bad for you guys down south not much you guys can really do with your your furs

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/19/21 02:43 AM

I guess I was, though I know he has given more for coons and yotes but I'm sure hes given much lower as well so I must have misunderstood thanks for the correction
Posted By: Nd native

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/19/21 03:26 AM

After the 2 state sales this past weekend, I bet that 50 dollar average for put up MN coyotes gets changed quick. I heard rumors of $50 carcass coyotes around here again this fall, if that's the case there is a buyer somewhere really kicking themselves in the rear and going to be eating Ramen for a while. Buying fur is a very risky investment. The market can fall out of something at any moment. When I sell I understand the risk the buyer is taking, so I dont gripe much about the price.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/19/21 03:44 AM

$ 51.55 average at Idaho this weekend for a sale average on coyotes .
At least there still is a market confused
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/19/21 03:55 AM

I sold a little over two weeks ago was happy with my $62 average on my northern heavy coyotes $92 average last year but that was last year
Posted By: gman

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/19/21 12:01 PM

62-92 average-was that on every coyote you caught?
Posted By: spjones

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/19/21 12:30 PM

The entire world went too crap after the superbowl(early February) last year.

Something not seen in hundred years.

It’s funny seeing people comparing prices/talking trends like they have it figured out.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/19/21 01:18 PM

gman yes every coyote no cherry picking.this year 35 low 90 high,last year 45 low 110 high.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/19/21 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by rick olson
I sold a little over two weeks ago was happy with my $62 average on my northern heavy coyotes $92 average last year but that was last year

Good Deal Rick!!!

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/19/21 03:55 PM

We are not saying we have things "figured out" I just wanted to see what other people are getting for their fur across the country as I find these things interesting of how drastically it can change depending on where you are. Would you like to let us know how prices are in Alberta I think that would be pretty cool to hear about!
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/19/21 04:13 PM

Buyer is rolling through here on the 29th. Hope to get as good of price on my northern coyotes as you did Rick. I do have a feeling that the tanneries will be busy this year with more private furs.

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/19/21 04:18 PM

In my area the average on put up coyotes Is about $30.00. Rats on average are selling for $3.50. Coon In the grease are averaging around $4.00 I've seen some put up coon going for $6.00 and some selling for $10.00 skin clarity and size Is the determining factor.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/19/21 04:27 PM

On the surface that does sound good but us older guys have a problem of relating a $4 rat to what we've known throughout the years. WE simply haven't evolved.

Here's what I mean: a $6 rat in 1976 (when I started trapping rats...and at that price) would have to be $24.47 in todays world. A $4 rat then would have to fetch over $18 today.

So it's clearly its very very poor prices at best.....but I guess still better than a $4 coon, I suppose.

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/19/21 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Calvin

On the surface that does sound good but us older guys have a problem of relating a $4 rat to what we've known throughout the years. WE simply haven't evolved.

Here's what I mean: a $6 rat in 1976 (when I started trapping rats...and at that price) would have to be $24.47 in todays world. A $4 rat then would have to fetch over $18 today.

So it's clearly its very very poor prices at best.....but I guess still better than a $4 coon, I suppose.

Where is the like button

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/19/21 05:20 PM

One other thing in last 3 or 4 years we have enjoyed a sliding grade on coyotes and cats in some cases.
Well that changed as of these 2 first sales they will be graded as is again.
In some cases that's been good but it also show's that prices are backing off and demand for more traditional type coyote is going to be the norm again.

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/20/21 01:58 AM

Ok who shipping To FHA
Posted By: MNEric

Re: Current Fur Prices - 01/21/21 05:46 PM

I sold mine on Sunday to small local guy traveling around

10 coyote- $53.50 avg. top $90
24 red fox- $15 avg. for the lot

I was shocked for the fox. He said he already had them sold
© 2024 Trapperman Forums