Home

Ranch Job out west

Posted By: ZUTER

Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 12:39 AM

Saw this posted on a friends Facebook feed.
Looked interesting.

http://www.ranchworldads.com/classi...EIVLUakY6ckYokoP37ETLJhttAXB_jJTsqwzjEEo
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 12:40 AM

If I was a young man
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 12:41 AM

If you don’t work out it’s off to the train station. eek
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 12:42 AM

Hey coonman220
Posted By: Jackdale

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 12:45 AM

That would be a sweet gig for a older guy even. Great fishing down there and nice country. Lots of griz, you'd learn what a killed beef calf looks like in a hurry.

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce T
Hey coonman220

Yeah right

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by Bruce T
Hey coonman220

Yeah right

Heard he was ready
[Linked Image]

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

Yes rely
Posted By: snowy

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 01:00 AM

Do you meet most of his requirements? If so, and you think you can handle it I would give it a try, if I were you. That is awesome elk hunting and fishing. I have killed elk in that area and hunted a lot in that large area from Dillon south, east and west. Great culture and beautiful ranch country.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 01:06 AM

What they don't say is always worth noting when it comes to a deal like that.

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 01:19 AM

I've eat many times in the Yesterday Café. Would try to get in there about noon or super for a great home cook meal. A lot better then the grub at camp.

An old country school house that was built with brick and a very unique atmosphere.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 01:26 AM

Pays a little low. Should include half a beef and bump for your own horses.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 01:48 AM

Ranch jobs are good if you don’t want to make much money and be on call 24/7. I used to work for a few ranches out here, it’s fun, but you’ll never make much and you’ll work your tail off, especially during calving. If you like sleep, don’t work on a cattle ranch during calving lol

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 02:06 AM

You will never get rich working for a rancher. You need to love the cowboy life and if you have a good hearted owner, it can be a great life. A lot of perks when hunting seasons come around thou. Some that I know get a lot of freedom and never really on the clock but things need to get done and a trust needs to happen.

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 02:13 AM

I wish i would have followed my dream and went out with a wagon when i was young.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 02:23 AM

there are two things that you can always count on with any agricultural employment --- low pay and long hours. Trust me I know .
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 02:31 AM

I bet it comes with more political bs and red tape than I could tolerate.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 02:41 AM

I already applied at The Yellowstone!
Posted By: DWC

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 02:52 AM

My mind has changed 100 percent regarding college. When i was 18-all they did was try and convince everyone you need a 4 year degree, a ba or bs with a bunch of electives to make you “well rounded”. What a crock. If an 18-19 year old is undecided what they want to do in life, something like this seems perfect for a few years. There are other ways to become “well rounded”.
Posted By: panaxman

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 02:59 AM

Ranch tattoo included --- YELLOWSTONE
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by DWC
My mind has changed 100 percent regarding college. When i was 18-all they did was try and convince everyone you need a 4 year degree, a ba or bs with a bunch of electives to make you “well rounded”. What a crock. If an 18-19 year old is undecided what they want to do in life, something like this seems perfect for a few years. There are other ways to become “well rounded”.

During the late 70's I wasted my youth getting educated (beyond my intelligence level) when i should have been taking advantage of those high nutria prices full time.

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by panaxman
Ranch tattoo included --- YELLOWSTONE

Brand!
Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 03:50 AM

I have never watched an episode of Yellowstone and never will as long as the environmental activist Kevin Costner has anything to do with it.

But I do like to listen to this song.

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 04:01 AM

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by DWC

They want 5 yearz experience

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler

If you lack 5 years tell them you wanna fight broncs and we want to see the video of your job interview. Bonus points if you show up in a smart car, plastic cowboy boots, and high waters!grin

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane

If you lack 5 years tell them you wanna fight broncs and we want to see the video of your job interview. Bonus points if you show up in a smart car, plastic cowboy boots, and high waters!grin

O tell them im from Texas? Roflmao

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 04:41 AM

Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 04:49 AM

Bunny hugger alert! Under required qualifications, it says you must remain neutral as to whether predators are good or bad! Nuff for me!

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 04:52 AM

O tell them im from Texas? Roflmao

The ones who can't take it in Texas always wander out of state! grin

Posted By: OKforester

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 04:55 AM

I don’t think this is your typical ranch hand job. This is a nonprofit org funded through grants and I’m sure they have an agenda. They are focused on grizzley and wolf interactions with livestock and one of the requirements is that you have to be able to remain neutral on whether predators are good or bad.

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 05:02 AM

Yeah I think you and Lee are right- something smells bad
Posted By: Osky

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 05:02 AM

Pretty country. Pretty much on your own clock, stock willing.
I can think of a lot of worse ways to spend a season, some of them I’ve experienced. A summer in the saddle in an area like that is like a good day of fishing, the Lord doesn’t count it against your time here.

Osky

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 05:35 AM

I might be like Ron White said “I had the right to remain silent but I did not have the a-b-i-l-i-t-y”
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by OKforester
I don’t think this is your typical ranch hand job. This is a nonprofit org funded through grants and I’m sure they have an agenda. They are focused on grizzley and wolf interactions with livestock and one of the requirements is that you have to be able to remain neutral on whether predators are good or bad.

Predators aren't good or bad... They're just fulfilling their role in the natural way of things. I figure that's about as neutral as it gets.

I'm so neutral on the issue that I can quote you the above statement all day long while I'm clicking dogs into night latches or closing the bolt on a rifle... I'm just fulfilling my role in the natural way of things too.

Mike
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
I bet it comes with more political bs and red tape than I could tolerate.

but only because of the CHAIRWOMAN Yvonne.!...........before i applied, I'd do a Google search and People finders and 411.com, on her and see what pops up and what other committees she's involved.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by DWC

They want a lot of stuff for $2250 a month.

Not per week, per month.

Bet they get some winners signed up.

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 12:38 PM

Mike I have a feeling that’s not what they meant by being neutral. I like your reply though.

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 12:47 PM

When its says you must stay till October it means others in the past got fed up with the bs and quit early. Definitely not a cowboy job. More of a babysitter for a bunch of tree huggers and there predators. In other words they set around drinking expensive coffee and coming up with hair brain ideas and your their flunky that has to go try and do them day and night. And when they don't work its your fault because you didn't do it like they thought it should have been do while discussing it in a board room.Lol

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 12:50 PM

Tell them Chuck Norris is your dad
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 01:01 PM

Provide your own horse and work for nothing? What an opportunity. Sounds like one of those county predator control jobs. Except for the bear spray thing. I am guessing they want you unarmed.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 06:05 PM

I don't know anything about Yvonne but her son was on the Montana Stock Growers Association and finished his term with them.
I'd still be a bit hesitant about jumping in with both feet with a outfit like this .
I have a sneaking suspicion that if your hired you'll get to hang a bunch of " flaggery " on the pasture fences to keep the evil grizzled and wolves away from the livestock .

Flaggery is basically surveyors tape on a wire from our friends the bunny huggers .

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 06:13 PM

How big a scarecrow ya need to keep grizzlies away? grin

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
When its says you must stay till October it means others in the past got fed up with the bs and quit early. Definitely not a cowboy job. More of a babysitter for a bunch of tree huggers and there predators. In other words they set around drinking expensive coffee and coming up with hair brain ideas and your their flunky that has to go try and do them day and night. And when they don't work its your fault because you didn't do it like they thought it should have been do while discussing it in a board room.Lol

You're givin' me a headache but I'd bet dollars to donuts you are purdy close.

Bruce I didn't know if that worked outside of Texas
grin

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Allan Minear
I don't know anything about Yvonne but her son was on the Montana Stock Growers Association and finished his term with them.
I'd still be a bit hesitant about jumping in with both feet with a outfit like this .
I have a sneaking suspicion that if your hired you'll get to hang a bunch of " flaggery " on the pasture fences to keep the evil grizzled and wolves away from the livestock .

Flaggery is basically surveyors tape on a wire from our friends the bunny huggers .

So your saying its a flagging cowboy job whistle
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 07:03 PM

I'm to old and I'm scared of horses. LOL

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 07:05 PM

I've got a sneaking suspicion it could be . After talking with some of my friends down in south central Montana there's some bears still out due to the nice winter we're having.

Leftlane my dad was a believer in the .300 Weatherby mag others like a .270 or a .30-06 with other's swear by the old stand by .30-30

After talking with some folks in the Cody Wyoming area a 12 ga shotgun with bird shot and pepper their butts repeatedly and they will get the hint sooner than later ha ha I heard this from a friend so don't send me hate mail now ha ha

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Allan Minear

You are right on and could very well be.

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 09:12 PM

Allan I never did it myself but I knew of guys who would pepper the neighbor bulls rear end when he came calling on their perfect cows- they all said it usually worked after one time but the slow kids might take twice.

As far as putting one down, short of a .338 Lapu mag I am a big believer in the Weatherby rounds big or small. If riding for the brand means watching beeves get eaten I prolly wouldn't fit in so good.

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 09:16 PM

I will admit that roping a bear sounded rather sportin when I was a much younger man!

Ya ever cure one that way NV Wrangler?
grin

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 09:26 PM

Leftlane,

Can't sat as I have , would have been more then willing to watch from a distance if someone else wanted to give it a whorl tho.

I did rope a couple of yotes over the years and saw or know of several deer, 1 antelope and an elk that got a loop.

Most fun was roping donks in Az.

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 11:33 PM

I've had a few pictures of coyotes stretched or bayed up over the years but they wig out social media LOL
Posted By: Mac

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/19/21 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

Awesome! Everyone should have a train station.

Mac

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/20/21 04:09 AM

I've had a few pictures of coyotes stretched or bayed up over the years but they wig out social media LOL

grin

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/20/21 04:16 AM

Friendly tip be ready to have company in the saddle if you manage to put some twine on a deer or antelope. They come rite up the rope to say hi. The guy i know that roped the elk was able to throw a trip and get it wadded up before it could try.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/20/21 04:19 AM

Mike I have a feeling that’s not what they meant by being neutral. I like your reply though.

Yeah... Probably not the job for me anyway. I'm actually allergic to horses. I'm told I could get a Bashkir Curly and probably be all right... Something about them lacking the enzyme in their dander that triggers the allergy.

When we figured out what caused my allergic reaction... I couldn't believe it. Never heard of anyone being allergic to horses, but I guess it isn't uncommon.

Mike

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/20/21 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town

Yeah... Probably not the job for me anyway. I'm actually allergic to horses. I'm told I could get a Bashkir Curly and probably be all right... Something about them lacking the enzyme in their dander that triggers the allergy.

When we figured out what caused my allergic reaction... I couldn't believe it. Never heard of anyone being allergic to horses, but I guess it isn't uncommon.

Mike

Just like labradoodles some are some aren't hypoallergenic . My wife is allergic to horses but we had some curlies in the corrals couple didn't make her itch and a couple did.
Its why im stuck with this standard poodle she doesn't react to it allergy wise.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/20/21 04:45 AM

Not much for horses for being stuffed with hay they are easy to slide off of.

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/20/21 05:38 AM

I've never roped any wildlife but I've known a few fella's who have most lost their ropes to whatever they roped .
If your going to be stupid you better have a darn good horse and a long rope and don't miss when you go trying to throw the " trip" or thing's can and will get western in a hurry !

My grandpa once roped a wolf and drug it to death or so the story I heard went I tried to get him to talk about it but he wouldn't.

We've got way to many Grizzly bears here in the Pacific Northwest , they need a hunting season reestablished in the worst way!

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/20/21 12:40 PM

Friendly tip be ready to have company in the saddle if you manage to put some twine on a deer or antelope. They come rite up the rope to say hi. The guy i know that roped the elk was able to throw a trip and get it wadded up before it could try.

Guy Allen and Rocky Patterson make it look so easy but... whistle

The late great Rex Bugsby (RIP hand) was hunting stags on an easily wigged out tie down horse almost no one could get along with but of course Rex got along with about everything. His mount did its thing when a whitetail popped up and ran straight out into the open. He looped like Cody Ohl whipping Fred Whitfied's (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) at the NFR and flanked it fairly quickly (or it would have surely ended up between knot heads legs) and then tried to get his rope back & that is when the wreck started!

He eventually got the job done but not before the thing basically shredded his jeans jacket, a purdy nice brushpopper, his wranglers, and also knocked a ruby out of his buckle. If I hadn't helped his favorite outside horse of all time to take a step forward I think he would still be there with all of us still rooting for him!

Git her Rex! Don't take that crap from her Rex! You got this Rex! grin

The next morning he was walkin slow and when we razzed him he said those sharp hooves had knocked a ruby out of his buckle set and done more than a few terrible deeds to his man parts.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/20/21 01:13 PM

I was gonna tell a good one but now I just can’t , lol . That was awesome, knocked a ruby out of his buckle , lol ! , !

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/20/21 02:31 PM

LOL- anyone who thinks a doe or a buck who is already shed is harmless had NEVER freed one tangled up in the fence I can assure you. It is basically mortal combat

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/20/21 02:49 PM

A fast horse and a rope is to a good hand what a bb gun is to a 7 year old. Ain't nothing safe.....

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/20/21 02:52 PM

Fact.

I haven't seen your sister in years but I cannot wait to hear the "when Jake was younger" stories. Justin is a great kid but Jake has always had that Blevins from All the Pretty Horses look in his eye. I noticed it when he was only 4 or 5!
grin

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/20/21 03:06 PM

Fact.

I haven't seen your sister in years but I cannot wait to hear the "when Jake was younger" stories. Justin is a great kid but Jake has always had that Blevins from All the Pretty Horses look in his eye. I noticed it when he was only 4 or 5!
grin

Lol yeah that would be Shotgun as I use to call him. Now its a lot of Miss Lacy or Miss Kendall stories . That Miss Lacy is danger in a small package with blue eyes and blonde hair. Her M O is let's do it and we will worry about the consequences later. Kind of like her mother at that age.

Re: Ranch Job out west - 01/20/21 03:24 PM

Oh yeah I can only imagine LOL. Callie was an adult b4 I ever met her so I can only guess what passed for lady like behavior in her younger years.

Don't overlook Jake is my advice. I am guessing he probably wouldn't admit it but has a plan to neck anyone in the room to a big tree and take the whole rest of the day to fetch a trailer. grin

NV Wrangler I don't want ya to feel left out of this conversation. Yessir's nephews are celebrities' just take a look at the who is who of ranch rodeo world titles and the top of the top is his family tree LOL. They are all just as interesting as they are handy
© 2024 Trapperman Forums