Home

The metric system

Posted By: Finster

The metric system - 01/19/21 03:42 PM

SUCKS! I hate it more than those little seeds you get in your mouth after eating a Fig Newton.

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 03:55 PM

And it should be illegal in this country. It's my God given right to use a obscure, convoluted, archaic system of measurement. I think we should amend the constitution. It's probably even contributing to Covid and global warming!
Posted By: Squash

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 03:57 PM

Yes, so except for the USA, Napoleon in the end did conquer the world.

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Squash
Yes, so except for the USA, Napoleon in the end did conquer the world.

He was a Jackwagon!
Posted By: Posco

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 04:09 PM

Celsius sucks.

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Posco
Celsius sucks.

Never liked him. grin

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Finster
Celsius sucks.

Never like him. grin

7/16ths did him in. I've met people like that.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 04:12 PM

they had us learn it in jr hi school in the 70's saying the US was gona be converting to it in the next 10 yrs..........yea, right!

BUT, since I deal with blueprints that are often metric, I have easy time converting, compared to other techs.

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
they had us learn it in jr hi school in the 70's saying the US was gona be converting to it in the next 10 yrs..........yea, right!

BUT, since I deal with blueprints that are often metric, I have easy time converting, compared to other techs.

Yea, I remember that farce in school. It's all Jimmy Carters fault. The lasting contribution of a moron.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 04:16 PM

Unfortunately you won't get rid of it because it's the standard measurement system for science and medicine

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Unfortunately you won't get rid of it because it's the standard measurement system for science and medicine

Darn Commies!
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 04:18 PM

. It's all Jimmy Carters fault. The lasting contribution of a moron.

hey, watch it!,,,he was the best president Panama ever had!

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
. It's all Jimmy Carters fault. The lasting contribution of a moron.

hey, watch it!,,,he was the best president Panama ever had!

Wonder if he builds those HUD homes in metric? I hope he hit his thumb with a hammer.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 04:19 PM

We should have converted back in 1980.

"The Metric Conversion Act is an Act of Congress that U.S. President Gerald Ford signed into law on December 23, 1975."
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 04:22 PM

He missed by just a fraction.

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
We should have converted back in 1980.

"The Metric Conversion Act is an Act of Congress that U.S. President Gerald Ford signed into law on December 23, 1975."

I don't care. I'm still blaming Jimmy.

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by ND FTA
The metric system is for the feeble minded who can't count to sixteen. What do foreigners do after table saw accidents when they can only count to nine?

I think they blame the French?

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 04:27 PM

The metric system is for the feeble minded who can't count to sixteen. What do foreigners do after table saw accidents when they can only count to nine?

I think they blame the French?

Made Napoleon sound taller.

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by mad_mike

We wouldn't need fractions if we had millimeters. smile

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by mad_mike

We wouldn't need fractions if we had millimeters. smile

Communist propaganda.

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 04:30 PM

Made Napoleon sound taller.
and perhaps fingerless.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 04:43 PM

if you use only metric it can be kinda handy conversions kinda suck

in baking with every ingredient in grams toss the bowl on the scale , hit tare and start pouring in , flour , water , sugar you never dirty a measuring spoon or cup just watch the scale and pour also much more accurate , the grind of the sugar or flower doesn't give you different volumes

your spices can be very precise

sure it works in ounces also but grams are simple everything is a whole number.

like when I feed my sour dough starter I retain 113grams of starter , add 113 grams of flour and 113 grams of water mix and cover.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 05:00 PM

Honestly... as someone who had to convert it is great. Woodworking, cooking, weights, everything is easier in a system of 10s, 100s or 1000s. A thousand liters of water weighs a ton. One liter weighs a kilo. You buy firewood in cubic yards but I cut my own.

I still use both in my call making but there is nothing wrong with the metric system. No need for cutting wood to 1/64 or 3/64, just add a millimeter.

I'll stand by for the backlash.

Pete
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 05:01 PM

I remember being told that we'll all be using the metric system soon.

At the time I was working in a tool room.

I thought, "yea, sure". Who's paying for all the new machine tools, measuring instruments, cutting tools and on and on.

Stayed in the mfg business for another 30 or so years. When I left we got most prints in metric. Some with both and some still in English system.
First thing we did was convert to English. I always laughed when the dimensions when converted in to English always came out to nice round English dimensions.
Majority of the tooling made in the USA is still made using English components.
No advantage in changing over to metric.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 05:08 PM

In my opinion, infinitely simpler and far less chances of mistakes with metric. I'm with you Swifty, but am assuming I'll get all the blowback as well for voicing my opinion.

Jack
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by swift4me
Honestly... as someone who had to convert it is great. Woodworking, cooking, weights, everything is easier in a system of 10s, 100s or 1000s. A thousand liters of water weighs a ton. One liter weighs a kilo. You buy firewood in cubic yards but I cut my own.

I still use both in my call making but there is nothing wrong with the metric system. No need for cutting wood to 1/64 or 3/64, just add a millimeter.

Pete

Its easier when all the equipment and tooling is in metric. Buy an old American made machine tool and try repairing it. Your not going to run a M8 bolt into a 5/16 tapped hole.

You have to use the system that the machine is made in. Much harder to find a metric components at our local hardware stores than an English one.

You can use what ever system you want for measuring, when you decide that you want to adjust your cut 3mm and your dials are in thousands of an inch your going to have to convert to English ain't no 2 ways about it.
Posted By: Deerkiller

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 05:14 PM

Just remember the 6.5 Creedmoor is metric!

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 05:16 PM

Eventually we will bite the bullet. Would have been over the pain, long ago, if we would have converted. I wouldn't have a shop full of twice the tools and work on equipment with two different systems of measure. Is that hydraulic fitting metric or standard? frown
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 06:20 PM

It's really fun working on American vehicles from the late 80s-early 90s. Half the stuff is standard half is metric. All the old engine stuff still around from the 60s and 70s is standard, but all the newer stuff is metric. The engine I'm putting in my truck is standard, the transmission is metric, the rear axle is standard. But the metric transmission bolts to the standard engine with standard bolts grin
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Deerkiller

Proud to say I don't have even one metric firearm!

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
Originally Posted by Deerkiller

Proud to say I don't have even one metric firearm!

not even a 7.62x63 , 7.62x51 ,5.56x45 , 6x52 7mm-08 , 7x30 waters , 9mm , 10mm?

Posted By: Lugnut

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 09:23 PM

What really sucks is the need to have two identical sets of tools; sockets, wrenches, allen keys...

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 09:25 PM

And what's up with that 10mm socket always disappearing? SAE sockets hardly ever do that.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 09:37 PM

Staked many DOT projects in metric. The problem was an operator couldnt visualize a cut of .3 meters but he could visualize a foot. I'd give them an engineer/metric stick rule and tell them to turn it over to convert. Poor things.
Posted By: ack

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 09:45 PM

As a tool and die maker working at a Ford engine plant i use it ever freaking day. Most of the conversions I do in my head.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 09:49 PM

And it should be illegal in this country. It's my God given right to use a obscure, convoluted, archaic system of measurement. I think we should amend the constitution. It's probably even contributing to Covid and global warming!

Smoke a dobbie and relax.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 09:51 PM

Ya think the whining is bad on here, shoulda seen the first metric shingle job,, calculator for big crooked lay outs.

Tool salesman like it.

Painted SAE red and others blue. These are mobile, not in a roll box.

Is metric plywood and framing next lol.

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 09:51 PM

All of this acceptance talk. You guys should be ashamed! 10 of this in 100 of that it's just not right I tell you. Everyone knows there are more numbers than that. That's the great thing about our system, we give all them other numbers a chance to be useful. That "gram" and "Kilo" talk is for communist and drug runners.

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
Ya think the whining is bad on here, shoulda seen the first metric shingle job,, calculator for big crooked lay outs.

Tool salesman like it.

I been working with a pile of 11mm and 12mm OSB the last few years. I think both are 7/16"? confused
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 10:02 PM

Which is smaller 4/8" or 1/2"? grin

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 10:20 PM

All of this acceptance talk. You guys should be ashamed!

Exactly. Long love the resistance.

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers

Tool salesman like it.

Ha! I can deal with metric shingles, they're still sold by the good old American square. LOL

Plywood thicknesses have been screwed up for a long time. When did 1/2" become 15/32" and 3/4" become 23/32"?

And yeah, they've been selling luaun underlayment in mm thickness for a while.

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 11:05 PM

Idc what the barrel reads, it's a .223 (the only one I have that could identify)! Lol
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 11:13 PM

Yeah, the Europeans did shove all this metric system down our throats.

But, we still prevail there in at least one market. Pipe is pipe. Even if they want to convert the numbers, pipe is always in inches and fractions, thereof.
Posted By: Actor

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 11:23 PM

I am with you FINISTER... I hate the crap and too darn old to try and learn it....

I bought something from Amazon some time back... Someone else thinking about buying asked question... and Amazon ask me to answer it... they ask about it in metric...

"I live in the USA and we don't use the metric system on a day to day basis... so you will have to ask the Amazon liberal's to answer it for you."

Garry-

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
Yeah, the Europeans did shove all this metric system down our throats.

But, we still prevail there in at least one market. Pipe is pipe. Even if they want to convert the numbers, pipe is always in inches and fractions, thereof.

Good! Time to get some 3/4" pipe and beat some metric sissy's into a bloody pulp. Let's start with France.

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 11:26 PM

And what the heck is up with metric threads? 6mm X 1 pitch? What the heck is 1 pitch?

SAE spells it out for you; 1/4 x 24, etc.

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
And what the heck is up with metric threads? 6mm X 1 pitch? What the heck is 1 pitch?

SAE spells it out for you; 1/4 x 24, etc.

Metric threads are a ridiculous concept created by a satanic cult that used to bathe the feet of Stalin in the fire from Hades.
Posted By: amspoker

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 11:45 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by amspoker
[Linked Image]

laugh
Posted By: That Fool

Re: The metric system - 01/19/21 11:58 PM

it is goot and bad, but mostly goot, I get laughs out of people needing the 10 mm socket alot
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper

Smoke a dobbie and relax.

Back in the day, I sold the reefer in ounces half ounces, quarter ounces...Then smaller amounts were grams...Lol seems I remember 28 grams to the ounce, add 1-2 grams for the baggie depending on if it was ziplock or sandwich baggie. Going farther back 1 finger was a nickel bag, 2 fingers a dime bag 4 fingers was the coveted OZ And that kids is your metric to standard conversion for the day. Right out of the 70's am 80's Lol

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 12:27 AM

[Linked Image]

I bet the other side says "Free candy". A metric tool salesman? Burn them at the stake! Lawyers and used car salesmen deserve more respect.
Posted By: waggler

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 12:40 AM

The most natural form of measurement is based on 360 degrees of a compass. The measurement of time and distance are related.
You can't really do both with metric. The only way it would work is if they could convert geometry to metric; for example, 1000 (or 100) degrees in a circle, ten hours in a day 100 minutes in a hour, 100 seconds in a minute.
But I don't know if it would work out mathematically. The system of 12's (360) is a natural system that works.

Metric, a system of tens, just seems like it makes sense to the masses. If everyone had 12 fingers, a system of 12's would probably make more sense to the uninformed.

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
The most natural form of measurement is based on 360 degrees of a compass. The measurement of time and distance are related.
You can't really do both with metric. The only way it would work is if they could convert geometry to metric; for example, 1000 (or 100) degrees in a circle, ten hours in a day 100 minutes in a hour, 100 seconds in a minute.
But I don't know if it would work out mathematically. The system of 12's (360) is a natural system that works.

Metric, a system of tens, just seems like it makes sense to the masses. If everyone had 12 fingers, a system of 12's would probably make more sense to the uninformed.

You. Are. My hero!
Posted By: Bob

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 01:12 AM

I never learned metric, confuses the crud out of me, but I can see where it can be easier in some cases. That dang 10mm socket is the bane of my existence though.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 01:16 AM

If people need things to be more accurate then use decimals instead of fractions.

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 01:20 AM

This is a serious question, do public schools not teach the metric system? They taught us in the 70's

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 01:23 AM

This is a serious question, do public schools not teach the metric system? They taught us in the 70's

I don't know if they still do or not. I would not doubt it. They do tend to ditch the important stuff and teach useless crap.

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
If people need things to be more accurate then use decimals instead of fractions.

I agree with 99.9999999 of what you just said! grin
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 01:25 AM

Love it the conversions take a bit of time but multiple of 10s is so simple.

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by WyFurHarvesters
Love it the conversions take a bit of time but multiple of 10s is so simple.

Communist sympathizer talk! Begone!!!!!
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 01:28 AM

Thank God for them having sense enough to make a 13 mm. It's the only one that fits both!

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Thank God for them having sense enough to make a 13 mm. It's the only one that fits both!

NOT TRUE! Any metric will fit an SAE with a big enough hammer. wink
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 02:01 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 02:36 AM

[Linked Image]

grin
Posted By: Cragar

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 03:00 AM

[Linked Image]

grin

I seen this on a hardware salesman's T shirt years ago - I have metric nuts laugh

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
Idc what the barrel reads, it's a .223 (the only one I have that could identify)! Lol

6x52 is 243win

7.62x63 is 30-06

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 03:25 AM

want confusing work all of your time measurements in 10ths of a minute

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

Yea, I think when I worked as a temp for the USPS back in the early 90's their timeclock punched your timecard in 10ths, No wonder they suck.
Posted By: Actor

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 03:36 AM

[Linked Image]

Now... That I can agree with...

Garry-
Posted By: trapperEd

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by swift4me

Pete

Hey Pete -- How about a few Microns ?
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 10:57 AM

Celsius sucks.

Amen! Foreignheat all the way!

There are a few metric measurements that I understand...

7.62 mm = .308

30°C = 86° F

10 mm = legendary disappearing unobtainium

1 mm = .03937 inches

I like to send green apprentices back to the truck for a metric crescent wrench... And then tell them every one they bring me is SAE and do my best to pretend I'm getting irritated.

Mike
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

I once had an engineers tape measure. It was standard, but the feet were dividing into tenths....10 "inches" to a foot.

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
Celsius sucks.

Amen! Foreignheat all the way!

There are a few metric measurements that I understand...

7.62 mm = .308

30°C = 86° F

10 mm = legendary disappearing unobtainium

1 mm = .03937 inches

I like to send green apprentices back to the truck for a metric crescent wrench... And then tell them every one they bring me is SAE and do my best to pretend I'm getting irritated.

Mike

When we get a dumb one, we send a kid to the tool room for a level and tell him to ask the clerk for one with a double bubble in it. grin
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 12:45 PM

SUCKS! I hate it more than those little seeds you get in your mouth after eating a Fig Newton.

So do I grin
Posted By: Redknot

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 02:22 PM

Celsius sucks.

Not at -40...

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Redknot
Celsius sucks.

Not at -40...

I still don't understand the convergence. I save what gray matter I have to remember good tree stand locations and where I put my scouting cameras. Can't spare any on math.
Posted By: Cannon Ball

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 02:44 PM

I remember being in the 3 rd grade and our school was teaching us the metric system. I remember my parents and others talking about as well as hearing President Jimmy Carter talking about it. Everyone was against it and it just went away - except for the nuts / bolts /; tools.

There seems to me that it would have been very helpful if it had been used - in teh construction industry. I see a lot of people that have been in teh building trade for years and they cannot add and subtract fractions. Something tells me if we had gone to the metric system many of the homes you guys live in would have been build square. Just sayin.

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Ball
There seems to me that it would have been very helpful if it had been used - in teh construction industry. I see a lot of people that have been in teh building trade for years and they cannot add and subtract fractions.

I remember how to convert fractions to decimals, that's about it. I sucked at math.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 02:53 PM

I'm pretty sure it was the architect's who couldn't make the conversion. On civil projects they are the only ones who show dimensions in feet and inches.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 03:01 PM

Metric system is based on 10. Hey, who can't count to 10.
Easy to use once you get familiar with it.
I'm with Swift and Gulo. I used it all through college, in lab work, and doing design work. Yeah, drawings with both metric and decimal dimensions are a pain, but only because it takes up more space on a drawing. Most CAD programs will show both dim's automatically if you set the program to do that.

If you think metric is bad, what about plumbing dimensions? Only people in the plumbing business use them.

And all threads have pitch, English or Metric.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 04:11 PM

Finster, if it's not true, how come I can and do use them all the time interchangably? The sae is a bit snugger on the metric, but it will go on. I've done it for years.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 05:49 PM

At least in the metric system a unit is a unit, and you know what they are talking about.

Let's take a US jar of honey as an example. How many oz are in a pint jar? We all know a pint is 16 oz. But wait... pound is 16 oz So, how can my pint jar or honey be 1 1/2 pounds?

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
At least in the metric system a unit is a unit, and you know what they are talking about.

Let's take a US jar of honey as an example. How many oz are in a pint jar? We all know a pint is 16 oz. But wait... pound is 16 oz So, how can my pint jar or honey be 1 1/2 pounds?

Truth in advertising?
Posted By: hippie

Re: The metric system - 01/20/21 06:23 PM

Too old to learn now.

Luckily, I was out of school before they started pushing it in the '80's
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: The metric system - 01/21/21 08:35 AM

When we get a dumb one, we send a kid to the tool room for a level and tell him to ask the clerk for one with a double bubble in it. grin

Best one I ever heard of was from a good friend of mine. He picked it up in the Army... When they had a flat tire they would send the new guy to the motor pool for "parts." The list was...

(1) BA-1100-NST ring (remove the hyphens and write it all together)

(1) Can of A-I-R

Always good for a few laughs.

Mike

Re: The metric system - 01/21/21 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Finster, if it's not true, how come I can and do use them all the time interchangably? The sae is a bit snugger on the metric, but it will go on. I've done it for years.

I meant it's not true that it's the only one interchangeable. Many of them are with a big enough hammer! wink
© 2024 Trapperman Forums