Home

New Military Recruits

Posted By: Hatchetman

New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 11:15 AM

So, what's everyone's opinion on how many young men and women will consider joining the military in the near future?

Maybe it's just me, but based off a new administration, and recent current events, and a seemingly different mind set in our country, I believe recruiters are going to have a substantially a tougher sell moving forward....???
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 11:56 AM

Too many poor kids in the country, military is the only way out for alot of them.
Posted By: keystone

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 11:58 AM

If the economy tanks that’s leaves few options for many young people so they may still join. Your right though, this new regime never mentions anything about the military, in fact all they want to do right now is vet the great service men and women who left their jobs and families to go to DC because they’re afraid the military may turn on them. Sounds like a guilty conscience to me!!
Posted By: Drifter

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 11:58 AM

My bet is they will do another cut back on the military.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 12:01 PM

My bet is that if they do join it is out of necessity like Jackie predicted b/c few patriots will view entering the service right now as being any better than joining the police academy in a liberal city where their hands will be tied.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 12:01 PM

There are always the good the bad and the ugly. Its the overall public taught mindset that will bring in issues.
Posted By: corky

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 12:37 PM

I can imagine that recruiting for the National Guard will be difficult. It seems that they are being called up everywhere to perform functions that were unheard of not too long ago.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 12:41 PM

There's no war going on so no need to have a huge military. It should be cut back some.

As far as young folks enlisting. There's still plenty that do, so many that plenty are turned away. Despite what older generations like to tell themselves I think these millennials and Z's are pretty darn patriotic. No draft needed.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 12:42 PM

Say what?
Posted By: charles

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 01:00 PM

Many young people share none of our opinions and none of our experiences.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River
There's no war going on so no need to have a huge military. It should be cut back some.

As far as young folks enlisting. There's still plenty that do, so many that plenty are turned away. Despite what older generations like to tell themselves I think these millennials and Z's are pretty darn patriotic. No draft needed.

You need to get your water tested.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 01:09 PM

Weakened military ensures you do have wars and our enemy's are emboldened. I doubt China is cutting back on their military but that's what happens everytime the dumb o crats get in office, we cut military spending and everyone else on the planet ramps their's up.

Hope you enjoy China being the worlds super power instead of us!

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 01:10 PM

crazy
You should move
Posted By: Posco

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by white dog

You need to get your water tested.

Lol!
Posted By: SJA

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by charles
Many young people share none of our opinions and none of our experiences.

How very true.

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 01:37 PM

I also disagree with your last two sentences. Many countries have a MANDATORY minimum draft / conscription, usually about 2 years. It would get some of these young people off their rears and to realize what discipline is, being responsible for your actions and knowing there are consequences in life instead of being "entitled", working at McDonalds, living with mommy & daddy, and playing video games. Nuff said.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jtrapper
Too many poor kids in the country, military is the only way out for alot of them.

Yep,
I know a guy who was a gangbanger from LA who joined the Army. He said his entire platoon was LA crips. It was their only way out. And that was 30 years ago.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 01:52 PM

If the French Foreign Legion can still fill it's ranks the U.S military can as well.

Biden is supposed to be offering a path to citizenship to 11 million illegals day one... our military can recruit from that if they have to and we can better follow the path of Rome.
Posted By: Squash

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
If the French Foreign Legion can still fill it's ranks the U.S military can as well.

Biden is supposed to be offering a path to citizenship to 11 million illegals day one... our military can recruit from that if they have to and we can better follow the path of Rome.

X2, towards the end of the Roman Empire, their legions had few Romans.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 03:45 PM

The military is not paying $50 a month anymore, so I'm pretty sure they won't have no problem getting people to sign up for the money like I did.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 05:46 PM

Good point.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 05:56 PM

We had several jar heads In my outfit that the judge gave them their choice, Jail or the military.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 05:57 PM

Under Trump the National Guard was majority white men. They couldn't even be trusted for inauguration duty without being vetted..

Under Biden, who knows? Maybe there will be a shift to "pronouns of color"??
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 06:27 PM

I can just imagine what they would look like.

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 06:40 PM

New camo uniform will be black and gray flowers.

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
New camo uniform will be black and gray flowers.

Typo? . . . you added an "r".
grin
Posted By: Squash

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 08:35 PM

I don’t think there will be any problems finding new recruits for Biden and the Democrats troop build ups in the Middle East.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 10:42 PM

Under Biden they will probably pay for a kids whole collage if they join.

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/20/21 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by forestman3
Under Biden they will probably pay for a kids whole collage if they join.

Under the G.I. Bill , it's there, full or partial depending on your status.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 01:35 AM

Didn’t realize you had to be poor to join the military...guess being an American and felling it was your responsibility to serve was the wrong choice a country middle class boy.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 03:22 AM

I have been criticized by several on this forum for believing that a draft of some type, military, Americore, Conservation camp etc. etc. would be a good thing for us at it would bring some order, discipline, training etc. to all. As with the draft in the past there would be obvious ways to circumvent etc. but to me it would still be a better choice for government spending then assistance, etc.

Bryce

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by bblwi
I have been criticized by several on this forum for believing that a draft of some type, military, Americore, Conservation camp etc. etc. would be a good thing for us at it would bring some order, discipline, training etc. to all. As with the draft in the past there would be obvious ways to circumvent etc. but to me it would still be a better choice for government spending then assistance, etc. Bryce

Bryce, when you’re criticized, if it's not true, disregard it. If it's unfair, don’t let it irritate you. If it's ignorant, smile, but if it's justified, learn from it. :-)

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 03:37 AM

I have been criticized by several on this forum for believing that a draft of some type, military, Americore, Conservation camp etc. etc. would be a good thing for us at it would bring some order, discipline, training etc. to all. As with the draft in the past there would be obvious ways to circumvent etc. but to me it would still be a better choice for government spending then assistance, etc.

Bryce

We already have the draft: Public school. After 13 years of public schooling you think more public schooling will help us?
Posted By: USMCArty

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 03:40 AM

They're gonna start a war pretty soon somewhere, gotta funnel their buddies the defense contracts they promised. And Joe is saying he wants to have females required to apply for a draft. Not good. But hey, ya'll wanted that "equal opportunity". If I was still in, I'd be jumping ship. Not a good time to be enlisted, that's for sure.

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by USMCArty
They're gonna start a war pretty soon somewhere, gotta funnel their buddies the defense contracts they promised. And Joe is saying he wants to have females required to apply for a draft. Not good. But hey, ya'll wanted that "equal opportunity". If I was still in, I'd be jumping ship. Not a good time to be enlisted, that's for sure.

Many countries have women in the military ranks. Old saying "the female of the species is always the most vicious."
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
We had several jar heads In my outfit that the judge gave them their choice, Jail or the military.

So you chose the military?
Posted By: bblwi

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 06:03 AM

I think it would at 18 the parents would be out of the picture as to their graduating versus actually learning something.

Bryce
Posted By: KeithC

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 07:39 AM

Most US Military members are white men, mostly from middle and upper middle class households. Surprisingly more children from very wealthy households enlist than children from the very poorest households.

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/demographics-us-military

Black people and women are very under represented in the US military.

It's a myth that most US soldiers are poor and uneducated. They are mostly true patriots.

Keith
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 08:17 AM

Perhaps some instruction on Article 90 of the UCMJ about following LAWFUL orders and a refresher on the first line of their oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States" wouldn't be a bad idea... And a reminder that "I was just following orders" has been an unsuccessful defense during tribunals.

That's the vetting I want to see.

Mike
Posted By: aknome

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 10:38 AM

My son joined the Navy. He didn't really care which party was in the White House. And no, we weren't poor. And no, he'd never even talked to a judge.

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Most US Military members are white men, mostly from middle and upper middle class households. Surprisingly more children from very wealthy households enlist than children from the very poorest households.

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/demographics-us-military

Black people and women are very under represented in the US military.

It's a myth that most US soldiers are poor and uneducated. They are mostly true patriots.

Keith

Thanks for sharing that link. Some very interesting charts. I always thought there seemed to be lot of Hispanic women in the marines.

Here is one shart from Keith's link that I thought was telling.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 02:05 PM

" Each branch of the U.S. military has slightly different education requirements for enlisted personnel. The minimum requirement is a general equivalency diploma (GED) and a certain number of college credits.

But if you don't have a high school diploma, the requirements to enlist are more stringent. While it's still possible to enlist with a GED, your chances are not as strong as people with traditional high school diplomas, and you're encouraged to bolster your education with some college credits. Most branches will require at least 15 credits, which is a full semester at most community colleges. "

This is a little different than when Beav and I were in. Might explain some of the changes.

[Linked Image]

"During the mid-1970s, the Services operated with reduced recruiting budgets. At the same time, there were highly publicized reports of shrinking military benefits and significant gaps in pay comparability with the civilian sector. Media articles cited the hemorrhage of talent from the Services due to loss of benefits, and the percentage of Servicemembers eligible for food stamps.

Because of lower education levels of new recruits, lower test scores, and increasing minority representation during this period, debates began on whether to replace the volunteer force with either a form of national service or a return to the draft. [3] The Executive and Legislative branches of government funded major initiatives to reinvigorate the volunteer military, enhance recruiting programs, and improve Servicemembers' quality of life. Military pay and benefits and recruiting resources were increased substantially in 1981, resulting in a rapid increase in the quality of accessions. The proportion of high school graduate recruits jumped from 66 percent in FY 1980 to 83 percent in FY 1982. Further incentives, such as the Montgomery GI Bill and the Army, Navy, and Marine Corps College Funds, and Service emphasis on improving the quality of life for Servicemembers and their families led to improved recruiting."

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 02:17 PM

Fight smarter not harder.

I just had a GED so I needed a certain higher ASVAB score and a waiver.

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 03:29 PM

..... believing that a draft of some type, military, Americore, Conservation camp etc. etc. would be a good thing for us at it would bring some order, discipline, training .....Bryce
I wholeheartedly agree. We ain't lost half of our rights in the last few months, Becoming conscripts to the Biden Admin. just might speed things up.

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Drifter
My bet is they will do another cut back on the military.

Population wise and defunding.

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
" Each branch of the U.S. military has slightly different education requirements for enlisted personnel. The minimum requirement is a general equivalency diploma (GED) and a certain number of college credits.

But if you don't have a high school diploma, the requirements to enlist are more stringent. While it's still possible to enlist with a GED, your chances are not as strong as people with traditional high school diplomas, and you're encouraged to bolster your education with some college credits. Most branches will require at least 15 credits, which is a full semester at most community colleges. "

This is a little different than when Beav and I were in. Might explain some of the changes.

[Linked Image]

"During the mid-1970s, the Services operated with reduced recruiting budgets. At the same time, there were highly publicized reports of shrinking military benefits and significant gaps in pay comparability with the civilian sector. Media articles cited the hemorrhage of talent from the Services due to loss of benefits, and the percentage of Servicemembers eligible for food stamps.

Because of lower education levels of new recruits, lower test scores, and increasing minority representation during this period, debates began on whether to replace the volunteer force with either a form of national service or a return to the draft. [3] The Executive and Legislative branches of government funded major initiatives to reinvigorate the volunteer military, enhance recruiting programs, and improve Servicemembers' quality of life. Military pay and benefits and recruiting resources were increased substantially in 1981, resulting in a rapid increase in the quality of accessions. The proportion of high school graduate recruits jumped from 66 percent in FY 1980 to 83 percent in FY 1982. Further incentives, such as the Montgomery GI Bill and the Army, Navy, and Marine Corps College Funds, and Service emphasis on improving the quality of life for Servicemembers and their families led to improved recruiting."

Gone are the days when if a person got in trouble with the law, they were given a choice, jail or the military.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 04:01 PM

Probably will not require them to take an oath

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7

Originally Posted by Dirt

[Linked Image]

Gone are the days when if a person got in trouble with the law, they were given a choice, jail or the military.

When I enlisted in '95 they must have asked me 6 times if I was there voluntarily or by a judge's order.

Mike

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Snowpa

If they do, it will be to Mother Earth.

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
Perhaps some instruction on Article 90 of the UCMJ about following LAWFUL orders and a refresher on the first line of their oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States" wouldn't be a bad idea... And a reminder that "I was just following orders" has been an unsuccessful defense during tribunals.

That's the vetting I want to see.

Mike

Thank you.

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Posco

Yep

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/21/21 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

Yep

Yep. A lot of people have been conned into this global village crap with no regard to its implications. Ignorance doesn't make one immune from consequences they can't or don't foresee.

Re: New Military Recruits - 01/22/21 12:54 AM

History is full of cultures whose religions were about revering, worshipping, and protecting "Mother Earth" and they were all slaughtered and ground into dust by those who didn't.

If you don't believe me just ask a druid.

Mike
© 2024 Trapperman Forums