Home

Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value

Posted By: Lugnut

Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/20/21 09:19 PM

I am planning on selling a gun in my collection.

It's a 1953 Winchester Model 12 Super Field Grade. Modified choke, matte vent rib, 28" barrel, fancy grade walnut with checkered fore grip and pistol grip stock. It has an adjustable butt pad on it. I have the original buttplate.

What do you guys think it is worth.

I've been looking at online auctions but prices are all over the place.

This is not a pic of mine but mine is nearly identical.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/20/21 09:23 PM

I can't value it for you but PM me when you know what you want.
Posted By: SJA

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/20/21 09:29 PM

Value depends on serial #, condition, wood quality, % remaining blue and supply & demand. Frankly that pic appears to be a Trap or Skeet model rather than the normal "field grade".
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/20/21 09:48 PM

in 1995 there was a guy at my dads range had 500 cash for the owner of any Model 12 that showed up at the range

given 26 years and the value of money being much less I would figure 750 to 1000 it all depends on market and exact features grade condition , like you said the finished auctions are sort of all over the place from around 700 to 1300 although I don't see a lot of super field listed , the trap seem to sell right about 900-950

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/20/21 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by SJA
Value depends on serial #, condition, wood quality, % remaining blue and supply & demand. Frankly that pic appears to be a Trap or Skeet model rather than the normal "field grade".

It's not a normal Field Grade, it's a Super Field Grade. Winchester is very specific about the eleven different grades available that year of manufacture. Serial number codes to a 1953 date of manufacture.

As I described above, very good condition, 95% or better blueing, very few minor scratches.

The picture is of a Super Field Grade and is representative of my shotgun.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/20/21 09:56 PM

Winchester prices have been going nuts lately for anything collectable. Saw a mint pre 64, model 94 go for over 5k last week.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/20/21 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
Originally Posted by SJA

It's not a normal Field Grade, it's a Super Field Grade. Winchester is very specific about the eleven different grades available that year of manufacture. Serial number codes to a 1953 date of manufacture.

As I described above, very good condition, 95% or better blueing, very few minor scratches.

The picture is of a Super Field Grade and is representative of my shotgun.

Take it to a Cabela's Gun Library if there is one near you. Offer to sell it to them. They will offer approx. 30 > 40 % of what they'd sell it for. Do the math and go from there on value.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/20/21 10:19 PM

Nice piece !...What guage ?

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/20/21 10:31 PM

Sorry, 12 gauge.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/20/21 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by SJA
Take it to a Cabela's Gun Library if there is one near you. Offer to sell it to them. They will offer approx. 30 > 40 % of what they'd sell it for. Do the math and go from there on value.

Good idea and I thought I'd take it to a couple of local gun shops for the same reason.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/20/21 10:35 PM

$1600 I’d guess a plain one was $1,000 several years back I think I’m low on my guess closer to $2,000 maybe. Very popular trap gun they will over pay for a gun like that.
Posted By: That Fool

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/20/21 10:36 PM

why would ya sell such a beauty? Just buy a Remington 870 from a garage sale and sell that one
Posted By: crowheart

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/20/21 10:59 PM

You can go to Homestead Firearms appraisals and find out what you want to know. Does your gun have a solid rib or vent rib, it should a solid after reading on them.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/20/21 11:04 PM

Also Blue book says made 1955-59 not 1953.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/20/21 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by crowheart
You can go to Homestead Firearms appraisals and find out what you want to know. Does your gun have a solid rib or vent rib, it should a solid after reading on them.

It's a Simmons vent rib, matte blue. They were an option on the Super Field Grade.

I was at Homestead, they want to charge me $9.95 via PayPal.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/20/21 11:23 PM

ALL Super Field M12's are solid rib guns. They were offered to use up the surplus inventory of solid rib barrels. Winchester used skeet wood on an otherwise ordinary matted rib field gun and called it a Super Field. They didn't sell well and they are unusual to find today. In the collectors' world, the original box marked "Special Field" is worth as much a field gun. This is just what I was reading. The 9.95 would be cheap to find out what you got.
Posted By: lestan101

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/20/21 11:43 PM

I sold a model 12 Trap in excellent condition with all matching numbers this past summer for 1100.00. The wood looked almost good enough to be on a pigeon grade. I still have a model 12 trap in 16 gauge also. It doesn't have matching numbers. The upper and lower are different years. I'm gonna sell it when trap season comes back around. Following this thread.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/20/21 11:50 PM

Winchester sent most of their trap guns out to be fixed up. The one I sold was done in Olathe I think Kansas. I believe there was three places that did the work for them. Olathe and St. Louis was two of them I think. It should say on your gun where it was done.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/20/21 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by lestan101
Winchester sent most of their trap guns out to be fixed up. The one I sold was done in Olathe I think Kansas. I believe there was three places that did the work for them. Olathe and St. Louis was two of them I think. It should say on your gun where it was done.

Winchester would send their guns, or allow them to be sent, to the nearest customer AUTHORIZED Winchester Gunsmith shop for repair.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/20/21 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by crowheart
ALL Super Field M12's are solid rib guns. They were offered to use up the surplus inventory of solid rib barrels. This is just what I was reading. The 9.95 would be cheap to find out what you got.

I read the same but I don't believe "all" Super Field grade had the solid rib. I think the Simmons vent rib could be ordered.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/20/21 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by lestan101

Olathe Kansas is where the Simmons vent ribs were manufactured as well. At least that is what is stamped on the rib.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 12:01 AM

Olathe Kansas is where the Simmons vent ribs were manufactured as well. At least that is what is stamped on the rib.
[/quote]
Yep they manufactured the ribs and did the work for winchester there.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 12:16 AM

It's a 1953 Winchester Model 12 Super Field Grade. Modified choke, matte vent rib, 28" barrel, fancy grade walnut with checkered fore grip and pistol grip stock. It has an adjustable butt pad on it. I have the original buttplate.

[Linked Image]

What gauge is it ?
Posted By: Paul D. Heppner

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 12:22 AM

All Deluxe/Super Field guns were solid rib guns and were built between very late '54 early '55 to '59. As mentioned they were marketed to use up the last of the solid rib barrels. They were offered in 12, 16, 20, and 28 gauge in any choke desired WS1, WS2, Cyl, IC, Mod, IMod (rare), and Full. I have one in WS2, absolutely devastating on any bird you want to shoot at. One question I would like to see answered is where are the receiver and barrel proof marks located. I would also like to see a picture of the whole checkered panel on the pistol grip. Is the rib a 2 pin or a 3 pin.

I have over 2 dozen of them in all 4 gauges including an unfired 28 gauge solid rib skeet gun. It is in the box never having been assembled with all the hang tags, info papers, and original bill of sale. Another question I have is what is the serial number (minus the last 4 digits of course).
Posted By: 160user

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 12:39 AM

I listed my model 12 trap gun this past summer and had no interest in it. I finally pulled it and just put it back in the safe. The BOOK says they are worth a bundle but what people will actually pay may be a different story.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:09 AM

[Linked Image]

Two years ago I sold a 1949 vent rib M12 trap. The prices on M12's have really dropped. I was able to get $850 for mine and it sat in an OH gun shop for almost a year before it sold. I also have a very good condition field grade 1930's gun that I can't get $300 for. It was for sale in a shop for two years and didn't sell so I brought it home.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Paul D. Heppner
All Deluxe/Super Field guns were solid rib guns and were built between very late '54 early '55 to '59. As mentioned they were marketed to use up the last of the solid rib barrels. They were offered in 12, 16, 20, and 28 gauge in any choke desired WS1, WS2, Cyl, IC, Mod, IMod (rare), and Full. I have one in WS2, absolutely devastating on any bird you want to shoot at. One question I would like to see answered is where are the receiver and barrel proof marks located. I would also like to see a picture of the whole checkered panel on the pistol grip. Is the rib a 2 pin or a 3 pin.

I have over 2 dozen of them in all 4 gauges including an unfired 28 gauge solid rib skeet gun. It is in the box never having been assembled with all the hang tags, info papers, and original bill of sale. Another question I have is what is the serial number (minus the last 4 digits of course).

Hey Paul, I was hoping you'd see this.

The Rib (stamped Simmons Gun Specialties Inc. Olathe, Kansas). Idon't know what you mean by two pin or three pin.

[Linked Image]

No proofs on the receiver that I can see. Only the serial number on the bottom front. These are the only markings I can find on the barrel.

[Linked Image]

The checkered panel on the pistol grip.

[Linked Image]

The serial number minus the last four is 137. That's makes it a 1952 or 1953 from what I could find out.

The stock and aftermarket butt pad.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:14 AM

The "proofs" should be stamped on the underside of the barrel if you you take it off the receiver. Ps. that stock appears to be Turkish Circassian wood.
NICE!

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:17 AM

Lug, that could be one of my old guns. I had two, mine were field guns that had trap wood added and were sent to simmons for a vent rib. I bought and sold them for about $200 back in the 1970's.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:19 AM

Morgan recoil pad.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by SJA
The "proofs" should be stamped on the underside of the barrel if you you take it off the receiver. Ps. that stock appears to be Turkish Caucasian wood.
NICE!

all that I have seen with factory ribs had the proof mark on top of the barrel beside the rib. I could take a photo and post it here but I'm to lazy. I do have a 16 mat rib that I have used since the 1960's.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:24 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:28 AM

Sorry, was thinking drinking doubles. grin

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Morgan recoil pad.

Yes, Morgan Adjustable recoil pad.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by SJA
Sorry, was thinking doubles. grin

Well I'm glad I didn't disassemble it then. laugh
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:37 AM

[Linked Image]

When you set a price let a guy know. Do the serial numbers match?

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:40 AM

Yes, barrel and receiver numbers match.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:43 AM

That's one of the things that a lot of the old Model 12's don't have anymore. Over the years people have pieced them together. The matching barrel/receiver increases the value. I am always looking for Model 12's. I never shoot them for trap but there's something about them that make them special.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:45 AM

I should of bought them when I was young but I never like the way they fit me so I passed on a pile of them. frown
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:46 AM

She's a beauty. I have a 16 which was my great grandfather's. Short plain barrel in Full choke. Someone mentioned it might have been a trench gun. I need to do more research.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:47 AM

[Linked Image]

Well Lug, I'll tell ya what I'll do, because your a trapper on here, I'll give you a special offer of $29.95 for it. TODAY ONLY! Offer ends at midnight tonight! Tell me where to mail the check.

[Linked Image]

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by WadeRyan

That's one of the things that a lot of the old Model 12's don't have anymore. Over the years people have pieced them together. The matching barrel/receiver increases the value. I am always looking for Model 12's. I never shoot them for trap but there's something about them that make them special.

I believe I am only the second owner of this one. I got it off my brother-in-law's girlfriend's dad back in the eighties. I never used it much. I have lots of other shotguns I use regularly. I'm pretty sure he bought it new.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:49 AM

I read that if the rib is stamped Simmons it is an add on. From what I read, an original Winchester can have a Simmons rib, but it won't be stamped Simmons. I would guess there are some M-12 web sites that could answer any questions.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by SJA

[Linked Image]

Well Lug, I'll tell ya what I'll do, because your a trapper on here, I'll give you a special offer of $29.95 for it. TODAY ONLY! Offer ends at midnight tonight! Tell me where to mail the check.

[Linked Image]

Let me think on it.
Posted By: white17

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:57 AM

That's a nice looking gun Lug.

I have a a field grade in 12 ga with a 5 digit serial number. The chart says it was mfg in 1914, which was the first year they made them in 12 gauge...apparently

My numbers match smile

My dad bought it used in 1921 for 12 dollars

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 02:01 AM

[quote=SJA][quote=Lugnut]I am planning on selling a gun in my collection.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Let me think on it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 02:02 AM

You might find this interesting

Shotgunworld.com • Model 12 Super Field Grade

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 04:12 AM

Rat_Pack, trench guns generally have heat shields and bayonet lugs with "a flaming bomb cartouche". Riot guns were just plain barrels. Most riot guns went to police departments. All were parkerized with cylinder bores. It is rumored that some full choked guns were cut down to make up for war time shortages. They were all 12 gauge.

Lugnut, it is an aftermarket Simmons rib. The proof marks are under the rib and "duck bill". My references put that serial number in the '53 range. The wood appears to be period trap wood. It's probably high for you. I wanted to see the checkering pattern to see if it was "Y model" wood. It's common to see a gun "updated" using Y wood which has a courser cut and a slightly different pattern. It has a thumb nail size scallop on the trailing corner. Earlier factory wood uses a finer 20 lines per inch.

I personally would dump the hooked pad and go back to the original. Model 12's have really taken a nose dive with the exception of the 20 and 28 gauge guns. When checking the auction sites I only pay attention to the bid and sold prices. I only pay attention to the start prices if they are reasonable for something I'm looking for. The last two I bought were an Improved Modified Trap gun that someone had taken completely apart and didn't come close to getting back together properly. The action bar wouldn't pick up the bolt and the magazine cap was in 180 degrees out of position with the take down pin installed backwards. The second was a 3" gun (Heavy Duck) that someone had added a Simmons rib and poor quality after market wood that did't have the required 1/2 pound lead weight in the butt stock to balance out the heavy 3" barrel. I feel the dealer and I settled on a fair price for both of us at $600 for the pair. I have extra wood and I can take them apart and put them back together in my sleep.

If you are interested in selling send me a PM and we will talk. It's a gun that my son and I would enjoy hunting with and busting some local skeet in the woods type Sporting targets. It is a good looker and would be a real work horse.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 12:14 PM

In your opinion Paul, what grade M12 is this? my first thought was it is a Trap Grade but, from what I've read, they were only available with straight grips and 30" barrels. This one has a 28" barrel.

After hours of research I settled on Super Field Grade as everything but the vent rib seemed to be as they are described.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:17 PM

Why not just call Winchester Customer Service Department at: 800-333-3288 and ask them? Here's a serial # chart for M12

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MJM

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:28 PM

I agree with Paul that they have taken a dive in price, not only from what I have seen, but from people that deal in guns full time. From what I have seen, if it came from the factory as a trap or skeet gun that was stamped on it. I feel there is a good chance that is a plain field gun that has a added stock, but plate and rib. I would not consider that a real collector, just a good using gun from what you have said about it. In my mind a M-12 is the best pump gun ever made. I have a few, and have shot one for over 50 years.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:50 PM

IMHO it is just a standard plain barrel field grade that someone has reworked. Graded guns are stamped as such, Trap, Standard Trap, and Skeet. There are also trap and skeet guns that are not roll marked with any grade marks. My main line trap guns, two fulls and the aforementioned IMod are plain trap guns (not graded). I do have a couple Skeet Grade guns one of which is a plain barreled factory Cutts gun, no rib or choke marking built in '48. They all have very nice wood but graded is typically better. I have a couple Y Models, an IC and a skeet gun, both of which have spectacular wood which is kind of the norm for Y guns. I'm not a Model 12 snob. I grew up with them and just know a lot about them. If I see one that trips my trigger and is available I will make an effort to get it. The Y skeet took me two years to acquire. There are several made up guns in my rack that are used by my kids and myself.

The straight grip models are usually 12 gauge, though there were a few 20's that might have been modified, a stylized grouse gun. The 12's that I have see were all solid ribbed 30 inch trap guns commonly called "Tournament" (might be made up GunBroker term). The higher graded ones were "Black Diamonds" having a black ebony diamond inlay-ed into both sides of the wrist. They were early production. I don't know the time span.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 01:57 PM

Thank you for your input Paul and everyone else, much appreciated.

FYI Paul, from my research, the Tournament Grade was a real thing, they had "Tourn" stamped into the stock under the recoil pad.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 02:02 PM

A great gun the model 12's are very collatable.

I have a 20 gauge and 16 gauge model 12's. The 16 gauge I have had over 40 years and never have shot that gun. I trade a small outboard motor for the 16 gauge model 12.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 02:10 PM

Hey Paul, in late 1970 I was in a pawn shop in Lawton OK. They had a ton of old Winchesters with several new in the box 12's & 70's. I looked close at three hornets, a new in the box skeet & a new in the box featherweight '06. I did walk out with a 12 trap & a 12 two barrel set (30"full & 26" IC). The two barrel set was neat with a serial number something like 333222.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 02:16 PM

Another note, for many years they could be ordered in just about any configuration you could dream up. I have a 26 inch 12 gauge with the tightest factory full choke in my racks. It's used for fox and coyote. Its load of choice is a short magnum, 1 1/2 ounce of 2 shot. Makes'em real dead. Probably do a good job on turkeys too.

Right now a 32 inch Heavy Duck that has been turned into a trap gun is in my sights. Should be a good shooter, heavy to soak up recoil.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 02:34 PM

Eb, I have a two barrel set myself. Odd thing, maybe not so odd, the original gun is plain barrel 30" full. In '35 or later it was sent back to Winchester to have a 26" WS1 barrel fitted. I know it was '35 or later because the WS1 was not available until '35. Both barrel sets are numbered to the receiver. The original gun was built in 1919 and owned by a dentist who only hunted ducks and rabbits hence the skeet barrel for rabbits. I got it from his grand daughter through a very good friend of mine for $500. It has the original stock but the forearms have been changed out to skeet/trap beaver tails.

I have also seen Trap grade marked guns that were actually skeet guns and Skeet grade that were in trap configuration. I have seen both in field configuration. I feel that the grades often just upgrades in wood, engine turning, ribs, and or recoil pads. Keep in mind early on "fancy" wood could be ordered at no charge. Later on it was simply a $5.00 up charge.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by ebsurveyor
[Linked Image]

That gun left the factory with a rib. Note the offset proof marks. If it left the factory as a plain barrel they would have been top dead center.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Paul D. Heppner
Eb, I have a two barrel set myself. Odd thing, maybe not so odd, the original gun is plain barrel 30" full. In '35 or later it was sent back to Winchester to have a 26" WS1 barrel fitted. I know it was '35 or later because the WS1 was not available until '35. Both barrel sets are numbered to the receiver. The original gun was built in 1919 and owned by a dentist who only hunted ducks and rabbits hence the skeet barrel for rabbits. I got it from his grand daughter through a very good friend of mine for $500. It has the original stock but the forearms have been changed out to skeet/trap beaver tails.

Mine was a numbered set. The plan was to change out the wood and add vent ribs for a skeet/trap combo gun. But, I stopped shooting skeet and started shooting a lot of trap in 1971. I eventually traded the two barrel set & a model 70 hornet for a Browning Broadway.

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 02:53 PM

Eb, I agree. It appears to be a nice example of a doughnut rib gun. Don't have one myself, should keep an eye out for one myself.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Gun Guys, Winchester Model 12 Value - 01/21/21 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
I read that if the rib is stamped Simmons it is an add on. From what I read, an original Winchester can have a Simmons rib, but it won't be stamped Simmons. I would guess there are some M-12 web sites that could answer any questions.

I have a 20 gauge that has Simmons marked on the rib but the proof marks are on the side of the barrel and receiver indicating that Winchester intended for a rib to be installed. It was manufactured in 1962 if that makes a difference.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums