Home

Amount won playing lottery of some kind

Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 03:19 AM

Ok guys what is the most you have won on any lottery ticket? I won $100 on a scratch ticket once and within two hours the starter went out of my truck which cost $140. frown
Posted By: headache73

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 05:04 AM

I bought 2 tickets one day. Won 500 on one and 100 on the other. Hit 100 5 more times that week. I'm still behind lol. My Dad won 10 grand on one, 1000 2 or 3 other times
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 01:06 PM

My father always said that the lottery was a tax on the poor and the stupid.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 01:10 PM

$100.00
Posted By: corky

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 01:15 PM

$ 200 about 15 years ago. I figured then that I was $18 to the plus side. Decided right then to quit while I was ahead and haven't played since.
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 01:53 PM

A guy at work and I put 20 bucks each in on scratch offs and played wherever we had a route together. Probably twice a week. Played for 6+ months. Sometimes up sometimes down a bit. Finally hit $480 the week of my bachelor party and cashed out. That was just over three years ago and I haven't played since.

It was fun to see how long we could keep going. We only played newer games and didnt spend all we had, just a card or two each to kill time on lunch. Good times
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 02:18 PM

its a tax on people who don't understand probability
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 02:24 PM

I usually never buy scratch offs or play lotto. But one night while coming home from out of town my wife and I stopped at a convenience gas station and she tried to purchase an Illinois lotto "Winter Green" scratch off. She gave the clerk $1 but it was a $5 ticket. I had a fiver and went to the car to scratch it off and it was a free ticket (oh boy!). Went back in and redeemed it in for another and it was a $500.00 winner. Truck had just had $425 in repairs that A.M.!
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 02:40 PM

I use scratch offs as stocking stuffers for the family. Every year, everyone wins something. Best year, was 2K among 5 people on Christmas Morning.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Trap Setter
A guy at work and I put 20 bucks each in on scratch offs and played wherever we had a route together.

A little more than fifteen years ago we did a lot of masonry work for a gal who hit Powerball in the vicinity of 100 million dollars. As I recall it, she was in the habit of getting into an office pool with her co-workers to buy tickets. She happened to buy one on the side and it was that ticket that won. Her co-workers sued her for a share of the winnings but she prevailed in court and kept the winnings. She went on something of a building spree putting up houses for relatives and we did the masonry work in them. Nice people her and her husband.
Posted By: K-zoo

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 02:46 PM

I have cousin who hit the jackpot for 1.2 million many years ago.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 02:52 PM

I won a $100.00 on a $2.00 power ball ticket 5 years ago.
Posted By: pappy t

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 02:54 PM

About 15 years ago, the wife won $10,000. After taxes we got $6,900. I believe she had 4 numbers and the power ball.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 03:46 PM

A guy I know won $100,000. He and his wife could not agree on whether to use the money for an underground pool in the backyard or an addition on the house. Seriously the whole marriage fell apart over it. She shot him and then herself.

Here's the deal with lotteries and spending any significant amount of money on lotteries: It's a symptom of poor financial management. Win the lottery and your problems will not be solved, the numbers will just be bigger. Any kind of gambling like this can take over a person's life. Have fun with it, but be careful. It's NEVER an investment. For me I have never participated in any way and I am no doubt ahead of the game. To each his own.
Posted By: white17

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 03:54 PM

My ex won the CA lottery around 1990 . Only about 20 million though
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 03:58 PM

I don't ever recall buying a lottery ticket. A friend once told me you are more likely to get hit by lightning twice than to win any mega jackpot when he was on his way to purchase some tickets. crazy
Posted By: Bigbuck

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 04:05 PM

Well 37 years ago I won $1,374 on the Maryland state lottery and then 8 months later I won $660 to. Back then the ticket were only $1 each, when they changed it to $2 each is when I quit play the MD. lottery. Now and only when the mega millions or the powerball gets over $100 millions I will play that week. I figure that if I'm going to play the lottery I only want to play if it's going to be enough to retire on with some of my closest friends that I will help to retire to. I won't want to make any new friends because they probably won't be able to be trusted.
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 04:13 PM

Ten years ago won 100,000 on a five dollar scratch off. Bought some land and saved the rest for my daughter to have at 18years old for schooling or to get a head start in life.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 04:27 PM

Never won a cent, but have only played about $20 worth in my life.

It's a big thing here too. I se people who really have no money spending 15 or 20 bucks a day.

Oddly enough, here in a country that loves to tax everything.... lottery winnings are not taxed.

Pete
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbuck
Well 37 years ago I won $1,374 on the Maryland state lottery and then 8 months later I won $660 to. Back then the ticket were only $1 each, when they changed it to $2 each is when I quit play the MD. lottery. Now and only when the mega millions or the powerball gets over $100 millions I will play that week. I figure that if I'm going to play the lottery I only want to play if it's going to be enough to retire on with some of my closest friends that I will help to retire to. I won't want to make any new friends because they probably won't be able to be trusted.

Your killin' me!

$2 ticket is too much....

...and $99,999,999 is not enough.

That's funny stuff right there!

I guess you got to draw the line somewhere, eh?
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 05:05 PM

Never won more than $20
I like the crooked conviienece store - gas stations who let the low income play on there food stamp cards.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 05:14 PM

1 dollar
Posted By: Posco

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by newtoga
Never won more than $20
I like the crooked conviienece store - gas stations who let the low income play on there food stamp cards.

Aggravating. Nothing like waiting behind a gambler and listening to "You're a Winner" twenty times in a row. Go to Vegas, I gotta go to work.
Posted By: Redknot

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by ILcooner
its a tax on people who don't understand probability

On an 800 million dollar pot your chances of winning are zero if you buy no ticket. However, if you buy one ticket for the aforementioned pot, your chance of winning increases infinitely over having no ticket... Buying two tickets for the pot though, as you point out, is a lack of understanding probabilities,,,
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 05:38 PM

I played in college once and was watching the live draw on tv circling the numbers on my ticket and just like they were shooting a movie as the ball would pop it was a number on my ticket... and they came up in order... left to right... I forget exactly but if I needed to get 6 numbers I got the first 5. I thought I must be rich but it was like $100 if I remember. Maybe only $50. I remember I cashed it in at the convince store and bought a case of beer and some gas.

We play at work now a big pool of us. One time we had all but one number again and that time the guy that picked the numbers for that ticket had used his "lucky number" in that string of numbers and that was the one that didn't get picked. Kinda funny.

Another time at work we had all the numbers and would have won but each number was of by a count of one. If the winner was 01 12 22 34 55 67 we had 02 13 23 35 56 68. That one hurt.
Posted By: andrews1958

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 05:44 PM

A friend of mine won 1 million on the Maine state lottery years ago. He was already a millionaire.
Posted By: hogwild

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 05:49 PM

I won $1,000 on a $10 Christmas scratch off ticket 2 years ago.
Posted By: eric space

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 11:18 PM

I have never bought a lottery ticket. I do buy raffle tickets for Fire Departments, Churches, NTA, etc but I will be darn I will buy a fundraiser ticket for the state of New Jersey. The state fundraises off me enough (for starters over $13,000.00 per year just for my house) !!
Posted By: rex123

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 11:24 PM

Around $6000 before taxes.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 11:30 PM

I think I either won $100 or $50 once. I can't remember. It was a scratch off but I don't play the lottery very often. I think it's a waste of money. I'll play the big lotto's when it's super high but normally, that's about it.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/21/21 11:49 PM

Wife bought tickets with a pool of people at work 30 years ago. The group won $4,000. I think she walked away with $150. I once won $4 with a pool at my work. I "invested" it back into the pool and lost it all.
Posted By: Kansas Cat

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/22/21 12:24 AM

My first cousin won big on some kind of scratch off. He gets $150,000 yearly for, I think, 21 years. Personally, I think I won 50 dollars one time.
Posted By: proratman

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/22/21 12:58 AM

10 Bucks!
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Amount won playing lottery of some kind - 01/22/21 02:09 AM

Lol....best I ever did was a bunch of years back.

Came home one day and there was a message on my answering machine. Kinda listened to it quick.
" This is so and so , please call me , you have won a prize "

Yeah , right.....deleted the message.

Couple days later , I'm watching TV and the phone rings." I'm so and so and you have won a prize." I'm half listening and watching TV. I'm thinking what is this person selling ? Vinyl siding , replacement windows , new roof ?

Turns out I won a 2004 Polaris ATP 500cc quad and a nice Aluminum trailer that could haul 2 quads from the Pennsylvania trappers assn. It was the grand prize. Worth together about $9000
I had been to many sportsmen's shows over the years and had bought tickets at almost all of them to help out various causes like trapping , hunting and NRA things. Never really thought I would win much , just wanted to help.

Had to drive out to Pennsylvania to pick it up , but that wasn't a problem.
Mucho thanks to the Pennsylvania trappers assn for the win.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums